• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Cross Ange - 13

This is the greatest thing ever.
Annhilation, mystery, intrigue, attempted genocide, Jesus doing Jesus things, Human Jesus doing his Jesus things, super powers, half dragon ladies pulling strings, revenge, bearing the weight of the sins of beautiful women, a secret operation for a coup d'État; a rebellion of norma versus humans.
Truly this is the most glorious show and continues to be the most entertaining thing I watch.

Cross Ange 13
I thought I was watching Gundam Seed Destiny for a second there holy shit. The director needs to change his fucking openings, its exactly the same. The reused scenes is hilarious too. I know it's normal to do that but it's so blatant here (and in GSD).

Also, where the fuck is this show even heading? It's 2cour right?

I would guess they meet up with that one chick and her squad from the OP and have a big showdown against Jesus to absolve humanity's souls.

The best part? It's probably going to be even better than anything I can predict.

K-ON!! 1-4
Decided to finally watch it after the seventeenth Moe is Killing Anime thread in OT. Not surprised that it's a good show because I've heard good things about it from people whose opinions I respect. I am a bit surprised I'm enjoying it so much so far, as I've been pretty cool towards the other Kyoani productions I've seen. I can recognize their quality, but they don't typically hit the right notes for me. K-ON's characters are so lovingly realized via the sublime animation and clever composition and cutting that it's hard not to be charmed by them. There's a nuance and care that's put into the potrayal of each character that you would never see in an anime whose main aim was to sate otaku lust for cute school girls.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Spice and Wolf 1-7

Lx0ulbm.png

So I finally got around to watching this show after having it in my backlog for ages and I'm absolutely loving it. The relationship between Holo and Lawrence starts off innocently enough and they play off of each other very well.

Also, fuck Chloe...nuff said.

I've already braced myself for the lack of season 3 dissapointment and will pick up the LNs after I finish up with the show.

Mr.Jeff

One day. One day.

We can only live in hope.
I can only wonder if (aside from the usual reason of they don't have something new to market it with) there's a lack of confidence in making a second season? Part of the charm of the 1st season was its skipping around in chronology which kept a number of people guessing what would happen and kept the pace up as they did multiple stories.

The on-disc OVAs didn't do this and although they had considerably less time to work with, were generally regarding as not up to par.

For a second series, if they simply repeat the first's ideas, people will be second guessing the whole time and if they don't they'll have to prove the material can manage well without it.

Also, I see I've been drafted to watch Gundam Build Fighters by Erica Narag. Should probably get on that as well as Blood-C since Hosanna asked me a while ago.

John Blade

Spice and Wolf 1-7

So I finally got around to watching this show after having it in my backlog for ages and I'm absolutely loving it. The relationship between Holo and Lawrence starts off innocently enough and they play off of each other very well.

I've already braced myself for the lack of season 3 dissapointment and will pick up the LNs after I finish up with the show.

Chibi-Holo-Big-Apple-holo-the-wise-wolf-21301345-438-436.jpg

Be one of us. Join us and forever be Holo fan club.

Naw....the show is actually decent to watch. Finish watching it last year and yes, it's a good show and you will love it. If you go to the novel (own the 1st 3 books) the story will be similar to the anime show with minor change. That will change as the later novel it will continue the story which you will never see in the anime show (and it might be the only chance to know what happened to them as we won't get another season).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yama no Susume 2 END

1csoeIw.jpg

One of the reasons I praised the original short series was due to the length of each episode there never felt like there were dead periods throughout the show, with the increase to 15min episode and twice as many episodes there was the risk that they'd lose this positive. Luckily it seems the show makers managed to never make a dull episode and each moment served a purpose (well episode 15 was a bit odd with its bait and switch, but it did introduce important elements).

When they aimed for Mount Fuji half way through one wonders how they'd top scaling Japan's highest mountain for the rest of the series but the ending arc was a lovely way to end the series and I think a perfect show ending. While I enjoyed the show I feel this is a perfect place to end it and there is no need for a third series. Some may find it odd they introduced a new character right at the end, but her purpose makes sense, Aoi was somewhat of a loner at the beginning and by the end of it she is the one to approach someone and become friends with them. It's just another mountain she scaled.

Also one thing that was very interesting is that we see parents a lot of the time and they're not even background characters. This is like a miracle when it comes to Japanimation.

cajunator

Banned
K-ON!! 1-4
Decided to finally watch it after the seventeenth Moe is Killing Anime thread in OT. Not surprised that it's a good show because I've heard good things about it from people whose opinions I respect. I am a bit surprised I'm enjoying it so much so far, as I've been pretty cool towards the other Kyoani productions I've seen. I can recognize their quality, but they don't typically hit the right notes for me. K-ON's characters are so lovingly realized via the sublime animation and clever composition and cutting that it's hard not to be charmed by them. There's a nuance and care that's put into the potrayal of each character that you would never see in an anime whose main aim was to sate otaku lust for cute school girls.

K-on never struck me as a show that worried about pandering. It simply got super popular and the pandering extended from marketing. Thats why the show is pretty good and has great characterizations. the moe resulted as a natural growth from the series, it was not create merely to serve it.

Yama no Susume 2 END
One of the reasons I praised the original short series was due to the length of each episode there never felt like there were dead periods throughout the show, with the increase to 15min episode and twice as many episodes there was the risk that they'd lose this positive. Luckily it seems the show makers managed to never make a dull episode and each moment served a purpose (well episode 15 was a bit odd with its bait and switch, but it did introduce important elements).

When they aimed for Mount Fuji half way through one wonders how they'd top scaling Japan's highest mountain for the rest of the series but the ending arc was a lovely way to end the series and I think a perfect show ending. While I enjoyed the show I feel this is a perfect place to end it and there is no need for a third series. Some may find it odd they introduced a new character right at the end, but her purpose makes sense, Aoi was somewhat of a loner at the beginning and by the end of it she is the one to approach someone and become friends with them. It's just another mountain she scaled.

Also one thing that was very interesting is that we see parents a lot of the time and they're not even background characters. This is like a miracle when it comes to Japanimation.

Why do you make such great impressions posts?

~wan

Defuser

Cross Ange ep 13
Man fuck Kira Yamato. Embyro is the real Jesus here. The animation here is as terrible as the show itself.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also was Yama no Susume governement sponsored? Not only is it a show about encouraging people to go outside, there's also this bit:

xeQrM7M.jpg

Just look at how Aoi faces the audience during that last statement. That is so aimed at all the lazy bum NEETs out there.

javac

Don't. Really.

Sorry man, I really have to :p. I'm just the type of person who is really stubborn and has to watch something when I say I'm going to watch it and trying to swaying me is really foolhardy. I really like older shows from the 70's and 80's more than modern shows so 9 times out of 10 the issues faced with these shows rarely phase me. I need to do this. I've set myself up now, no going back.

Growing up I was exposed to Gundam a lot, but being young I did so in a fashion that was ultimately all over the place. Bits of Gundam, but nothing from beginning to end. I'm excited now. Plus I've been listening to the Unicorn soundtrack and I'm just too excited (this OST isn't indicative of Gundam in general of course but I was going to skip Unicorn initially but will give it a go now, that's how easy my mind is made up! :p). This year...I'm going to do it!

Denki-Gai 09

"When I see happy couples during Christmas, I wish they would die."

It's another Christmas episode where Hio-tan gets sick a lot, Sensei goes crazy over underwear and Santa brings ero-hon as gifts.

Encouragement of Climb S2 09

It's all fun and games until the actual climbing starts.

Some bad stuff is going to happen soon, right? Cause they've gotten pretty far and there's 15 episodes left...

Narag

Hey that's one that I'm really excited to watch! The intro music is totally my jam :)

Hope you like terrible underdeveloped characters, "romance", and a hero whose defining trait is being unable to finish his carrots at dinner.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 2 [engDub]
I love Team Trinity Dragon. Hopefully they will continue to be around but a bit better. One even uses the Oracle Think Tank, which is a fantastic deck to use.

Shocked Misaki Tokura became the owner of Card Capital!. I hope we get to see Aichi Sendou and Toshiki Kai (They were in the txt msgs))

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yama no Susume 2 END

http://i.imgur.com/1csoeIw.jpg

I can't remember, did you ever watch Tamayura? lol

javac

Hope you like terrible underdeveloped characters, "romance", and a hero whose defining trait is being unable to finish his carrots at dinner.

I'm fine with that honestly, I love my shows that are super articulate with how everything is developed and all that good shit, but I don't mind silly shows every now and again. I'm not going to ask for the world from the series.

I'm going to go out here on a limb and say that Gundam at its best is about the casualties of war and it's civilians that are caught in the crossfire but with that 80's stuff sprinkled on top and action scenes that for the most part consist of single frame shots with cool sound effects and equally cool designs. I'm fine with that. There's a reason I'm aiming for the older series, I've always liked that stuff. Do I want more nuanced plot points discussed? Sure thing! If I'm totally off on my expectations and you laugh reading this I'm fine with that too :)

Patlabor is probably my favourite series bar none, and I love it all from the silly episodes that consist of the supernatural to the movies that get all super serious and political.

0083 and such look cheesy as fuck, and I'm fine with that. Maybe I'll hate it, but I've never seen a show so far that I've hated to be honest, closest was Lagann... maybe I shouldn't have said that. I think I just always get what I expected from each show and always do a good job of regulating my expectations and placing myself in the directors shoes, which is why I didn't like Lagann at all since that's one time I expected the world and didn't like what I got. My fault of course. I hope I make sense. The show could be hot garbage, but my mind is set. If hot garbage is what I get, I'm cool. It'll be a fun ride going through the timeline in any case.

Spice and Wolf 1-7

I'm currently reading the first light novel right now actually. I watched the first 6 episodes a while ago but never got to around to actually watching the rest of it. I'll be picking it up again after finishing the first novel.

javac

Like a prisoner on death row telling himself he deserved what's coming during his final meal.

Hey at least I get a meal! :p I don't watch too many shows to be honest so I take what I can. I'm not too interested in stuff these days, so when I get enthusiastic for something I tend to ride it out. My brother has been telling me to watch some shows that I know I'll probably like a million times more like FMA:B and Steins Gate but I have no enthusiasm when thinking of them for one reason or another. I guess that fact that I know they'll be good is too safe for my thrill seeking brain. I want ups and downs and things that could piss me off or potentially become something I really enjoy at a drop of a hat. The safe stuff can wait for another day :p Again, I'm probably talking shit but its my shit dammit!

I'm fine with that honestly, I love my shows that are super articulate with how everything is developed and all that good shit, but I don't mind silly shows every now and again. I'm not going to ask for the world from the series.

0083 isn't that bad, don't let the haters hate. Is it amazing, nah, perfect, hardly, good... maybe not. But its watchable and like you, I love the 80's non moe stuff. I won't lie and say basically all the characters are not crap and underdeveloped (13 episodes, but went for the usual 50 episode pacing on characterization) at the end of it but the action and context to the UC era is there. + the music, like most 80s anime is great!

I will say this though... its better than Wing

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I haven't watched anything in months. Maybe I should finish Penguindrum at least since I started that.

I know what you mean. I end up dropping anime entirely for months then binge watch an older show or two before I go back on hiatus.

Narag

The only thing worse than 0083 is the 00 movie. The only episode really worth watching is ten because it's a masterclass in mechanical animation . The Last Blitz of Zeon compilation movie is better because it retains all the lovely animated action while cutting out like 3 hours of horseshit.

javac

0083 isn't that bad, don't let the haters hate. Is it amazing, nah, perfect, hardly, good... maybe not. But its watchable and like you, I love the 80's non moe stuff. I won't lie and say basically all the characters are not crap and underdeveloped (13 episodes, but went for the usual 50 episode pacing on characterization) at the end of it but the action and context to the UC era is there. + the music, like most 80s anime is great!

For every 20 people who swear Wing is a good Gundam series... there is one like me who liked 0083 overall lol.

Thanks :) I too just really enjoy that 80's stuff. The music, the designs, the single-frame shots. Man it really does resonates with me. I get tingles down my spine whenever I watch Gunbuster pull a fucking cape out of nowhere and uses it as a shield to deflect thousands of missiles before doing a flying kick in space. Damn that shit is good :D Just getting pumped up thinking about it.

Not the biggest fan of Wing, but like many growing up with it has me affectionate towards some of its designs and the silliness of it all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't. Does it too defy anime conventions like having parents on screen and spoken English rather than terrible Engrish?
Tamayura basically is a better Yama no Susume.

No random white people show up though, as far as I can remember. lol

Theonik

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 01

Why do I fucking listen to you people? Like what the fuck am I watching? It goes from fucking shy lesbians to some bad version of murder on the polar express or some shit. Then that creepy fucking ending! UGH

~WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN
You haven't seen shit.

http://i.imgur.com/RHShn6A.jpg

These were a thing? I guess I can do that

I never even heard of this. Sell it on me
They were part of a special BBC did at some point. They are effectively a celebrity fandub and they only did a few episodes.

Just let the mofus take over.

Also was Yama no Susume governement sponsored? Not only is it a show about encouraging people to go outside, there's also this bit:

http://i.imgur.com/xeQrM7M.jpg

Just look at how Aoi faces the audience during that last statement. That is so aimed at all the lazy bum NEETs out there.
As far as I know, S1 was largely a commercial for outdoors equipment makers. I think S2 probably was that too, so the message is less 'lol otaku' and more 'buy our shit yo'.

javac

The only thing worse than 0083 is the 00 movie. The only episode really worth watching is ten because it's a masterclass in mechanical animation . The Last Blitz of Zeon compilation movie is better because it retains all the lovely animated action while cutting out like 3 hours of horseshit.

As I take it from my understanding most of the series has corresponding compilation films that condense it all? I'd rather watch the full series to be honest but I may additionally check the movies out at the end. The way I see it, I wouldn't recommend the Gunbuster vs Diebuster films over the series.

Narag

As I take it from my understanding most of the series has corresponding compilation films that condense it all? I'd rather watch the full series to be honest but I may additionally check the movies out at the end. The way I see it, I wouldn't recommend the Gunbuster vs Diebuster films over the series.

Only compilation movies from Gundam really worth checking out are the original 0079 movies as they have appropriate run time to let things develop. Zeta New Translation movies hack shit up which is a shame because it could have been nice especially with particular scenes reanimated for added effect. Instead it retains most of the TV animation and it clashes with the new stuff. Turn A compilation movies are basically just hitting story beats and ignoring everything else.

F91 is a lot like that too as they jammed a year long non-existent tv series' worth of material into two hours. Still worth one watch at least because it's one of the prettiest things ever.

xeQrM7M.jpg

When I went to Mt. Fuji in August they had some promotional material (standees, posters) around the train station before taking a bus to the 5th Station.

Bummed out that I missed out on Season 1 before CR lost the license. It doesn't seem like S1 is super important because I watched the first three episodes of S2 before I noticed, but is there anywhere to go back and watch it?

John Blade

Hey that's one that I'm really excited to watch! The intro music is totally my jam :)

Gundam 0083 is basically Top Gun the movie. Pure action blast fun and not much in other stuff. If you want something more in the plot/character/ pacing/ development, they're other Gundam show that did it well like Gundam 0080, Turn A Gundam, Zeta Gundam, etc. Gundam 0083 isn't there with shallow character development, a love triangle which didn't make sense if you start to think too much if you watch the show, and many more issue. Even with this issue, it make up with it with tons of action scene with mecha battle which look cool and 80s music which sound cool (even though it's cheesy now).

Go watch Gundam 0083 series not the movie as the movie suck (if you like the movie....I have nothing to say). Just go in the show to see gundam fight, people getting kill, the main character develop from acting like a kid to a mature adult during the show, and many cheesy stuff.

Note: Gundam Wing is still a fun show and haters gonna hate that show and movie.

Pooya

Junketsu no Maria - I think I read some of the manga for this once and loathed it - I'm also no great fan of where Moyashimon ended up going. Yet the trailer manages to conjure an interesting atmosphere.

Seemingly anime is different than the manga, there are anime original characters already. From Planetes DVD commentary I recall Taniguchi saying he didn't like adapting manga lol so maybe the work ends up differently with a lot of original content, I have no idea about this manga though.

Art looks pretty good to me, like armors, armies but still yikes at the virgin powers premise. I will watch this.

Er yeah, it appears that thread is missing in action? Can someone look into that?

do you remember the list, by chance? I'm sure it was all the usual suspects circa 2007(NGE, Bebop, Akira, GITS, TTGL, B. Lagoon, Baccano, Mushi-shi, etc), but I'm rather curious to see what landed where. Its been 7 years since then, maybe ya'll should do an update one of these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom