• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Encouragement of Climb S2 11

jbznpii.jpg

Haha. What the hell...

Aoi seems to have totally given up then.

do you remember the list, by chance? I'm sure it was all the usual suspects circa 2007(NGE, Bebop, Akira, GITS, TTGL, B. Lagoon, Baccano, Mushi-shi, etc), but I'm rather curious to see what landed where. Its been 7 years since then, maybe ya'll should do an update one of these days

I remember agreeing to this when Articalys came up with the same idea last year. It's all a matter of someone stepping up to the plate and organizing it all though.

javac

Only compilation movies from Gundam really worth checking out are the original 0079 movies as they have appropriate run time to let things develop. Zeta New Translation movies hack shit up which is a shame because it could have been nice especially with particular scenes reanimated for added effect. Instead it retains most of the TV animation and it clashes with the new stuff. Turn A compilation movies are basically just hitting story beats and ignoring everything else.

F91 is a lot like that too as they jammed a year long non-existent tv series' worth of material into two hours. Still worth one watch at least because it's one of the prettiest things ever.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected from them so that reaffirms my decision to watch the series as I find theatrical versions never do the material justice but are still interesting to watch after the fact. I still really enjoyed watching Death and Rebirth for example because I went it expecting random Eva scenes compiled together in typical Eva fashion and I got that with random Shinji playing a cello scenes on top. Can't complain :p

Gundam 0083 is basically Top Gun the movie. Pure action blast fun and not much in other stuff. If you want something more in the plot/character/ pacing/ development, they're other Gundam show that did it well like Gundam 0080, Turn A Gundam, Zeta Gundam, etc. Gundam 0083 isn't there with shallow character development, a love triangle which didn't make sense if you start to think too much if you watch the show, and many more issue. Even with this issue, it make up with it with tons of action scene with mecha battle which look cool and 80s music which sound cool (even though it's cheesy now).

Go watch Gundam 0083 series not the movie as the movie suck (if you like the movie....I have nothing to say). Just go in the show to see gundam fight, people getting kill, the main character develop from acting like a kid to a mature adult during the show, and many cheesy stuff.

Note: Gundam Wing is still a fun show and haters gonna hate that show and movie.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll enjoy it with everything you've said :) Turn A does seem like a really good one, so I'm excited to see that. A lot of people don't like Victory as I take it, but I'm also excited to see that for the same reasons I've discussed earlier. Plus again, the intro is fucking awesome which never hurts :)

Narag

Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected from them so that reaffirms my decision to watch the series as I find theatrical versions never do the material justice but are still interesting to watch after the fact. I still really enjoyed watching Death and Rebirth for example because I went it expecting random Eva scenes compiled together in typical Eva fashion and I got that with random Shinji playing a cello scenes on top. Can't complain :p

You're going to love 3.33 if you haven't seen it already.

Jex

Hahaha oh boy you're gonna fucking love this one...I watched 3.33 and fucking loved it :D

Well, I do not if I can assist then because I think that movie is trash. One of the few things on Earth worse than Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory.

Hahaha oh boy you're gonna fucking love this one...I watched 3.33 and fucking loved it :D

I'm actually glad they took it in that direction then have the Rebuild series be a remake of the original series albeit with notable differences.

You know many people were frustrated with Shinji in that film but I remember I was pissed off at Misato and Asuka for not explaining shit.

Clov

I'm actually glad they took it in that direction then have the Rebuild series be a remake of the original series albeit with notable differences.

You know many people were frustrated with Shinji in that film but I remember I was pissed off at Misato and Asuka for not explaining shit.

Well, that was the biggest problem with the film. I can't blame Shinji for doing what he did; nothing was explained to him, and nothing was explained to the audience either. Having nothing explained to us not only makes the story confusing, but it also leaves the motivations of several characters unknown. Why are they doing what they're doing? 3.33 really doesn't care about that, and it makes it difficult to care about them.

Denki-Gai 12

Lots of partying and more cosplay to end the show.

It starts out funny enough, but then it gets bogged down with some romance drama, and there's episode 11 that's just bad. It does get funny again in the last episode, so that's good at least.

Decent OP and ED. Nothing too special though.

Overall it's funny enough to get 3.5/5 ero-hons:
HQuohXd.png
HQuohXd.png
HQuohXd.png
IDLF5Yf.png
pAnsRBF.png

Madlax is another of those "girl with a mysterious past is thrown into a situation where she must use her skills to survive as she rediscovers who she is and why they are after her" sort of shows. Like Noir, but less intelligent, and with more military action. It has some kickass music though and a few good episodes sprinkled throughout. Mainly its just something totally new to you and most of this community so it might be worth adventuring into. Or you could just watch Noir if you want.

I guess I'll throw it on the list

Spice and Wolf 1-7

So I finally got around to watching this show after having it in my backlog for ages and I'm absolutely loving it. The relationship between Holo and Lawrence starts off innocently enough and they play off of each other very well.

Also, fuck Chloe...nuff said.

I've already braced myself for the lack of season 3 dissapointment and will pick up the LNs after I finish up with the show.

I've only watched 3 episodes so far, but something tells me I wouldn't be surprised by the fuck Chloe (what he failed to do, and what she might do later)

They were part of a special BBC did at some point. They are effectively a celebrity fandub and they only did a few episodes.

Oh interesting. I wonder if I should tackle that first

Strike Witches S2 - 8

I'm kinda feeling a bit iffy on the fact that
Miyafuji lost her ability to fly rather quickly in this episode, only for her to get an upgrade to get it back. It all felt contrived for the sake of giving her an upgrade to her Striker Unit. Though apparently it gets explained in the next episode, so I'll give it that.

javac

Well, I do not if I can assist then because I think that movie is trash. One of the few things on Earth worse than Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory.

Yeah pretty much. I'm sure you've all heard by ramblings on 3.33 by now, but I guess I'll just rewrite what I've said in the past quickly. For me in the first place what I've taken away from the Rebuild series is the fact that it’s different and yet familiar. If all I actually wanted to see is a re-thread of the series word for word...well like any person I'd just watch the series because fuck It holds up pretty well and the Blu-ray set is coming out next this year after all so why not?

Really I'm glad that they're exploring every nook and cranny of the Eva universe. You could consider it a new blank canvas in which they can to do things with the characters that they didn’t and couldn’t do in the past. If they do happen to fuck it up, fine I can just return to the original series and ignore the Rebuild series canon or otherwise. That’s the WORST case scenario. Best case scenario is I get four awesome movies that have cool soundtracks (the OST for 3.33 is really cool, with throwbacks to other Sagisu pieces in shows like Nadia), updated visuals and just cool movies that take place in a world I love and one with characters that I love and have interest in all the whilst still keeping the original series untarnished. Seems like a win win to me!

I guess again it's the fact that I've gone in with the correct expectations but also believe in letting the magician complete the trick before calling out the act. I really want to give them a chance to finish it all, there's so much possibilities for the ending. Just gets me exited and discussing things about one of my favourite shows during its 20th anniversary is a cool feat. Again, can't complain.

Encouragement of Climb S2 Ep. 17

I really liked the animation in this episode. Lots of dynamic movements and stuff. Its the simple stuff like Kaede wiping dirt off her butt or Hinata swinging her arms while crossing the bridge really makes this show so charming.

That bouncing mountain looked awesome. I wanna go there :(

Those two yanks are the top characters of 2014.

THIS IS WHY MT. FUJI IS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE! BANZAI!

Mature

Yeah pretty much. I'm sure you've all heard by ramblings on 3.33 by now, but I guess I'll just rewrite what I've said in the past quickly. For me in the first place what I've taken away from the Rebuild series is the fact that it’s different and yet familiar. If all I actually wanted to see is a re-thread of the series word for word...well like any person I'd just watch the series because fuck It holds up pretty well and the Blu-ray set is coming out next this year after all so why not?

Really I'm glad that they're exploring every nook and cranny of the Eva universe. You could consider it a new blank canvas in which they can to do things with the characters that they didn’t and couldn’t do in the past. If they do happen to fuck it up, fine I can just return to the original series and ignore the Rebuild series canon or otherwise. That’s the WORST case scenario. Best case scenario is I get four awesome movies that have cool soundtracks (the OST for 3.33 is really cool, with throwbacks to other Sagisu pieces in shows like Nadia), updated visuals and just cool movies that take place in a world I love and one with characters that I love and have interest in all the whilst still keeping the original series untarnished. Seems like a win win to me!

I guess again it's the fact that I've gone in with the correct expectations but also believe in letting the magician complete the trick before calling out the act. I really want to give them a chance to finish it all, there's so much possibilities for the ending. Just gets me exited and discussing things about one of my favourite shows during its 20th anniversary is a cool feat. Again, can't complain.
A man after my own heart.

Is there any other worthwhile long animus to watch? I'm planning to do Excel Saga soon, but I'm not sure what to watch atm.

Try D-Gray Man. I mean the first half till episode 51 is a bit slow because of filler (Though I enjoyed it a lot). Though damn does it get real good and interesting after episode 51, like everything changes. I'm really enjoying it.

Also the Openings and some of the Endings are fantastic, so good.

Total episodes are 103.

Narag

Strike Witches S2 - 8

I'm kinda feeling a bit iffy on the fact that
Miyafuji lost her ability to fly rather quickly in this episode, only for her to get an upgrade to get it back. It all felt contrived for the sake of giving her an upgrade to her Striker Unit. Though apparently it gets explained in the next episode, so I'll give it that.

I thought it was pretty obvious given all the talk about her potential. It leverages the jet propulsion ep too which explored the opposite scenario all the while following Mio's path which gives one just a hint of doubt about Miyafuji's predicament.

Theonik

I guess I'll throw it on the list

I've only watched 3 episodes so far, but something tells me I wouldn't be surprised by the fuck Chloe (what he failed to do, and what she might do later)

Oh interesting. I wonder if I should tackle that first
It's on YouTube

I thought it was pretty obvious given all the talk about her potential. It leverages the jet propulsion ep too which explored the opposite scenario all the while following Mio's path which gives one just a hint of doubt about Miyafuji's predicament.
Btw watch the movie.

Joni

Any recent shows - action, drama, thriller, ... - from the last two years that are recommended for someone that has been out of the anime game for a couple of years. I'd like to keep it to short shows, like 13 to 26 episodes.

Narag

Any recent shows - action, drama, thriller, ... - from the last two years that are recommended for someone that has been out of the anime game for a couple of years. I'd like to keep it to short shows, like 13 to 26 episodes.

Yamato 2199

Do you like Mecha shows? If so I'll direct you towards Knights of Sidonia.

It does something well, the relation between Kaworu and Shinji is properly given time and therefore explained and you can feel how Shinji was lost and how it as believable in how they bonded so when it comes down to heads flying off, you can understand Shinji's pain, unlike in the tv series where Shinji saw him like twice in his life so his doubts and pain felt a bit hollow.

But for the rest, it's a film with a pretty bad pace and where you feel almost nothing happens (all the movie is Shinji rescue in the prologue, then being confused as fuck with Misato's crew, then the longer but slower scenes of Shinji-Rei-Kaworu, and then the final fight scene where Kaworu dies, end) and what it happens, it happens confusingly (all the mythology and backstory and trying to piece together the 4th impact and what Kaworu knows and the meaning behind his decisions).

Instro

Probably easiest just to pick out stuff from the AoTY threads. You'll find the links in the OP....please ignore the Knights of Sidonia suggestion.

Uchouten Kazoku, Fate/Zero, Ping Pong, Parayste.

Free!
BLast of Tempest
Valvrave
Buddy Complex
Hamatora

are a good representation of how great anime has been these recent years.

Valvrave

are a good representation of how great anime has been these recent years.

Even as a joke post thats not funny.

avoid this nonsense everyone everywhere. If you've never seen a mech anime before its "huh... not bad" if you have seen at least one or two its "huh... that looked similar to that other show." if you have seen a bunch its "holy shit, every scene in this 24 episode thing is literally ripped from another show before it, how the fuck did they not get sued!?"

I do give credit for the mech design though. Other than that, its just a frankenstein anime of ripped off scenes from more famous franchises with none of the build up or context to have it make sense.

Jex

You know, that's all fine, on paper, but my main complaint remains that the movies have basically been middling to poor, with 3.33 going all the way to 'crap' territory. I'm not concerned with their recycling the previous content or creating fresh new content, just do it well.

Jex

Yeah he's already been in the show for some time, but this episode featured a more literal Jesus figure. You'd know all this is you just sacrificed your soul to watch Cross Ange (pro tip: don't).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I already gave my soul to SHAFT. I don't think they do refunds.

Instro

Yeah he's already been in the show for some time, but this episode featured a more literal Jesus figure. You'd know all this is you just sacrificed your soul to watch Cross Ange (pro tip: don't).

Did you lose a bet, or have you lost your monocle?

TheRancor

0083 isn't that bad, don't let the haters hate. Is it amazing, nah, perfect, hardly, good... maybe not. But its watchable and like you, I love the 80's non moe stuff. I won't lie and say basically all the characters are not crap and underdeveloped (13 episodes, but went for the usual 50 episode pacing on characterization) at the end of it but the action and context to the UC era is there. + the music, like most 80s anime is great!

I will say this though... its better than Wing
0083 is from the early 90s though.

Zeta New Translation movies hack shit up which is a shame because it could have been nice especially with particular scenes reanimated for added effect. Instead it retains most of the TV animation and it clashes with the new stuff.
The reanimated scenes look nice at least http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/12329/animated-effects-gundam-mecha-mobile_suit_zeta_gun

javac

You know, that's all fine, on paper, but my main complaint remains that the movies have basically been middling to poor, with 3.33 going all the way to 'crap' territory. I'm not concerned with their recycling the previous content or creating fresh new content, just do it well.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with what you're saying at all, I agree. I guess I just expect certain things from it going in and it delivered exactly what I wanted. From a film-making standpoint it's probably all over the place, but the end product worked well for me. Hard to explain, just one of those things :p

0083 is from the early 90s though.

It is, but like many early 90's anime, it screams 80's :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom