• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That looks incredible.

*throws nuZeta on the list*

It's like 85% tv animation and 15% amazing new shit.

Plus the new stuff might look nice, but all the new story bits are pretty much garbage.

A New Translation might be the most bitter disappointment of my time as a Gundam fan. There's been worse, but it was all stuff that I either expected to be bad or at least had low expectations for going in.

e_i

Sasameki Koto manga

Angst to comedy to angst to comedy to angst to...

When I first started reading it, I hated Ushio. I liked the epilogue.
Lotte got really damned hot. Good for Mayu. Good for everyone.

TheRancor

Plus the new stuff might look nice, but all the new story bits are pretty much garbage.

A New Translation might be the most bitter disappointment of my time as a Gundam fan. There's been worse, but it was all stuff that I either expected to be bad or at least had low expectations for going in.
Helmed by Tomino himself!

New thread detected. As always, I'll open with something insightful:

MIKI RETURNS.

<
okOztuj.gif

On an idol related note, Mirei got some New Year's cards that cajun'll appreciate.

John Blade

Well...going to watch Full Metal Panic! for the 1st time. Hear good thing of the show. Going to watch the entire series and might make this month for me Full Metal Panic! month.

Veitsev

Well...going to watch Full Metal Panic! for the 1st time. Hear good thing of the show. Going to watch the entire series and might make this month for me Full Metal Panic! month.

Make sure to continue with the manga after if you like the anime. Its completed and really great.

Still not feeling anything whenever the shift focuses on these three.

Sure Kida seems to have a background I'd probably be interested in hearing about.

But I can't say I'm enthusiastic whenever the episode is about them.

Now on the other hand.

These guys

Are GOAT

Great chemistry and highly entertaining in every way.

I would rather be following the adventures of Dota-chin, the otaku couple(?), and the idol lover instead.

Especially after they moved the whole human trafficking plot forward.

Pooya

Maria The Virgin Witch -1

This looked way better than I expected, it looks great. I hope they didn't blow all of the budget on first episode, even if the story is not all that interesting I would watch this for the visuals but I actually liked that too here. No CG army bullshit, only flags were CG I think. Character designs are quite nice as well and everything looks quite detailed.

1420407133-1.jpg

1420407138-2.jpg

Little Witch Academia Tree

1420407166-3.jpg

Banner Saga

Decent mix of comedy and serious work well though the comedy might not be up to everyone's taste, I think it's fairly good with likeable characters. Overall quite strong opening, I'm on board.

do Vinland Saga anime next plz.

Narag toss me on the New Year’s resolution list. The anime I wanna finish are:

Turn A Gundam
Gundam 00

~wan wan

Why is G Gundam not on this list? Turn A I hear is very good, but 00?

00 Season 1 I thought was good. Season 2 was a mess despite me enjoying some parts of it. But the movie though...uggggggh. I don't even want to talk about that. >_<

So yeah, Absolute Duo's OP is pretty good: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dznzz

Huh, that actually kind of looks cool. Not getting my expectations up though, since the show's apparently a harem and all.

HEROMAN - 14

Whatever
conversation that Hughes and Joey have in the next episode just might make or break this arc for me.

At the very least though, I like that
Hughes is attempting to at least talk with Heroman and Joey, and not use violence first.

John Blade

Narag toss me on the New Year’s resolution list. The anime I wanna finish are:

Turn A Gundam
Gundam 00

~wan wan

Give yourself a LOT of time for Turn A Gundam. The beginning start very slow but it get interesting as you continue to watch the show. Also, don't rush through the show as you will need time to let it sink in a bit. One of the better gundam show in the Gundam franchise.

Why is G Gundam not on this list? Turn A I hear is very good, but 00?

00 Season 1 I thought was good. Season 2 was a mess despite me enjoying some parts of it. But the movie though...uggggggh. I don't even want to talk about that. >_<
I've actually seen G Gundam before. I'm watching Gundam series I haven't seen before.

Give yourself a LOT of time for Turn A Gundam. The beginning start very slow but it get interesting as you continue to watch the show. Also, don't rush through the show as you will need time to let it sink in a bit. One of the better gundam show in the Gundam franchise.
Oh I can tell, I'm on ep. 2 and the start certainly isn't what I expected, but I'm still interested.

~wan wan

Narag

Potential avatar months after Dog Girl December:

• Monster Girl March
  • Mecha May
  • Gintama July

Please be excited.

phaze

Maria The Virgin Witch -1

This looked way better than I expected, it looks great. I hope they didn't blow all of the budget on first episode, even if the story is not all that interesting I would watch this for the visuals but I actually liked that too here. No CG army bullshit, only flags were CG I think. Character designs are quite nice as well and everything looks quite detailed.

Decent mix of comedy and serious work well though the comedy might not be up to everyone's taste, I think it's fairly good with likeable characters. Overall quite strong opening, I'm on board.

do Vinland Saga anime next plz.

On a scale of 1 to Strike Witches, how lewd is it ?

Still not feeling anything whenever the shift focuses on these three.

Sure Kida seems to have a background I'd probably be interested in hearing about.

But I can't say I'm enthusiastic whenever the episode is about them.

Now on the other hand.

These guys

Are GOAT

Great chemistry and highly entertaining in every way.

I would rather be following the adventures of Dota-chin, the otaku couple(?), and the idol lover instead.

Especially after they moved the whole human trafficking plot forward.

Anri is the secret best character.

Be warned that the second cour focuses more on the trio.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The only thing worse than 0083 is the 00 movie. The only episode really worth watching is ten because it's a masterclass in mechanical animation . The Last Blitz of Zeon compilation movie is better because it retains all the lovely animated action while cutting out like 3 hours of horseshit.

Spoken like somebody who's never Stood Up to the Victory.

javac

I posted an update for the rest of the Kill La Kill UK Blu-ray set in the KLK thread here but the basic is this:

KLK Part 2
Contains: Eps 10-19 (I've checked the discs, they are labeled correctly too - shock, horror!)
Extras on disc: Web previews, clean opening, clean closings.
Tentative physical contents: 216 page artbook (containing the books from Volumes 2 & 3) and collector's packaging.

SRP: £59.99 for BD | £49.99 for DVD (same as Part 1)
Release date: Tentatively March 2nd, pending approvals which are underway now.

KLK Part 3
Contains: Eps 20-25
Extras on disc: Web previews, clean opening, clean closings.
Tentative physical contents: Artbook, 3 Goku Star pins and collector's packaging.

SRP: £49.99 for BD | £39.99 for DVD
Release date: Tentatively May 25th, pre-sales at MCM Expo.

The committee are against them releasing a cheaper set consisting of 12-13 episodes in a set this year but they are considering this:
  • 3 sets, BD & DVD separate
  • £24.99 SRP for BD, £19.99 SRP for DVD
  • Likely Amazon price for all 3 sets would be £49.99 - £54.99 for BD, £39.99 - £49.99 for DVD.
  • Released over: June, August, October
  • Doing a rigid box with Part 3 to store Parts 1, 2 & 3 or...
  • Doing a bigger Amaray box with part 3 for people to put Parts 1 & 2 in (Amaray being like your regular DVD or BD box for a show.

Haven't even seen the show but that opening track has been stuck in my head forever, really like the opening for Victory...or most/all Gundam in general.

I'd like to say that I've never seen a bad Gundam OP but to do that I'd have to go back in time before G Reco started. Even though the first OP is just meh, the second one is pretty bad.
The ED is really good though.

javac

As for Anime releases this week in the UK, we have Michiko & Hatchin: Part 1 DVD, One Piece: Movie 8 Blu-ray and DVD and Time of Eve Blu-ray with a Collector's Edition also available.

Had Time of Eve Blu-ray Collector's Edition pre-ordered but cancelled it. May watch it down the road. Also never knew they had soo many One Piece Movies...

EDIT: Not my pic, but some stuff that's coming out soon/just came out in the UK

phaze

It's not really lewd, there are like two naked shots of Maria and the dialog might be lewd. I'd say it's about same as Bahamut in that aspect.
Hmmm. Had it pegged for something that would go much farther than that. Will give it a try.

HEROMAN - 15

Ok, arc redeemed. I can fully enjoy this show again. :)

At last, Dr. Minami has become the full-on comic-book villain of this show. Which means more robot V.S. robot fights! :)

Minami's mecha is super ugly though.

cajunator

Banned
Yama no Susume 2 END

1csoeIw.jpg

One of the reasons I praised the original short series was due to the length of each episode there never felt like there were dead periods throughout the show, with the increase to 15min episode and twice as many episodes there was the risk that they'd lose this positive. Luckily it seems the show makers managed to never make a dull episode and each moment served a purpose (well episode 15 was a bit odd with its bait and switch, but it did introduce important elements).

When they aimed for Mount Fuji half way through one wonders how they'd top scaling Japan's highest mountain for the rest of the series but the ending arc was a lovely way to end the series and I think a perfect show ending. While I enjoyed the show I feel this is a perfect place to end it and there is no need for a third series. Some may find it odd they introduced a new character right at the end, but her purpose makes sense, Aoi was somewhat of a loner at the beginning and by the end of it she is the one to approach someone and become friends with them. It's just another mountain she scaled.

Also one thing that was very interesting is that we see parents a lot of the time and they're not even background characters. This is like a miracle when it comes to Japanimation.

I see what you did there :D

It is nice to see parents who arent dead or relegated to background roles in anime. Im not sure why its so scarce to begin with.

Why do you make such great impressions posts?

~wan

what is that gif from?

Also was Yama no Susume governement sponsored? Not only is it a show about encouraging people to go outside, there's also this bit:

xeQrM7M.jpg

Just look at how Aoi faces the audience during that last statement. That is so aimed at all the lazy bum NEETs out there.

Wow. that does seem pretty targeted. I wonder if a lot of people realized it?

I haven't watched anything in months. Maybe I should finish Penguindrum at least since I started that.

Yes, you should.

Encouragement of Climb S2 10

There it is then.

Altitude sickness aint a joke!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm going to start digging a big pit to throw people in for every time I see a UK anime release that isn't Mitsudomoe/YuruYuri/iM@S/Inferno Cop.

That moment when you start a new anime series and realize Kiroto-Voiceactor voices the first person (and MC?) in that show (Sakurasou).

gnCYL.gif

javac

I'm going to start digging a big pit to throw people in for every time I see a UK anime release that isn't Mitsudomoe/YuruYuri/iM@S/Inferno Cop.

You know what? I'm gonna inquire about these shows now since I always hear you expressing your profound sadness towards these not getting releases here. I'll see if I can get some info on them. Isn't Inferno Cop free on YouTube tho? I thought it was a really small thing. I still haven't seen it :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know what? I'm gonna inquire about these shows now since I always hear you expressing your profound sadness towards these not getting releases here. I'll see if I can get some info on them. Isn't Inferno Cop free on YouTube tho? I thought it was a really small thing. I still haven't seen it :p
Well I added Inferno Cop for a little something different because I'm sure people are tired of me mentioning the same titles all the time, but yes, it is free to watch on YouTube. And I'm pretty sure the answer to Mitsudomoe is that sales projections for the UK are one copy bought by me.

cajunator

Banned
I guess I'll throw it on the list

I've only watched 3 episodes so far, but something tells me I wouldn't be surprised by the fuck Chloe (what he failed to do, and what she might do later)

Oh interesting. I wonder if I should tackle that first

Its kind of early Bee Train, which isnt saying a lot but at least its not filled with a bunch of otaku serving moe stuff so theres that. Yuki Kajiura had a close relationship with Bee Train at the time and they came up with 4 or 5 shows very similar but Noir was easily the best one. Madlax is probably the least talked about though. I can think of quite a few series that never got license renewed that no one really watches anymore but may deserve at least a look. WIll try to come up with more of them.

Any recent shows - action, drama, thriller, ... - from the last two years that are recommended for someone that has been out of the anime game for a couple of years. I'd like to keep it to short shows, like 13 to 26 episodes.

From The New World is a really interesting series that isnt too long (26 I think)

There's no going back for me. I have walked too far down this path.

You're better for it, Jex.

New thread detected. As always, I'll open with something insightful:

okOztuj.gif

On an idol related note, Mirei got some New Year's cards that cajun'll appreciate.

I do indeed appreciate this, thank you friend!

So yeah, Absolute Duo's OP is pretty good: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dznzz

Its ok looking. The animation is kinda meh but the characters look decent. I dont see anything that particularly stands out. Might be worth a watch.

I still cant believe Yuru Yuri isnt out there yet. Thats the most egregious offense. Especially since it seemed rather popular.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Watched my first anime of 2015.

THE IDOLM@STER MOVIE: BEYOND THE BRILLIANT FUTURE!

Overall, this was a well-made movie that was basically a 2-hour long Idolm@ster episode. Unfortunately, apart from the start and the end, the middle of the film is very middling and quite frankly boring simply because it's just some awful melodrama that's not even particularly done in a interesting way. The best scenes in the movie was the opening trailer in the film, the final concert scene and some of the idol interactions that had a element of humor and light-heartness to them. More of that plz.

Still HYPED AS FUCK for IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tsukimonogatari
Yotsugi is so damn adorable. So is Shinobu,
That Tsukihi fanservice is way too much!
As far as animation goes, we see all the character doing completely random stuff while talking ut looks pretty, at the least.
As far as the dialogue goes, it's the usual NisiOisiN. Pun, redudancy, synonym, meta comedy, breaking the 4th wall, and all that.
The battle at the end of the scene is really one sided. One shot killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom