• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

my understanding is that this is the only time we see him. Disappointment of the season

That was the fanbase's assumption before we learned that they were going to compress all of volume 9 into one episode. People were expecting half of the remaining episodes to be Kaname's party and then the other half would be Toya and co, alongside Nyanta and a few other things. So, right now, I don't think anyone knows what Log Horizon s2 will cover in the 20s since vol 9 was just one episode,and they clearly won't just cover a single volume with all the other episodes.

The characters were pretty good overall, but...

These two fuck ups were some of the worst Law/Chaos protagonists in SMT history (hell, of all the ones I played these guys were the worst). There isn't an iota of nuance in either of their characters; they pretty much play out the Law/Chaos hero concept and do absolutely nothing of interest with it. What's worse is that they
they drop off the map after a certain point in the story and re-appear at the end
, and the writing behind their characterization was poor.

Fortunately, Isabeau was a very good character, and the supporting cast was amazing.

That spoiler is just a problem with SMTIV's route lock in general. You basically see nothing related to the factions you didn't join after the route lock. They just wait until you meet them for boss battles and then drop dead. If you choose chaos or law routes, then you actually follow what happens to the respective alignment hero.

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 116

I like Weather Girl Akari. She's found a calling in life that also works nicely with her surname.

Shirobako 13-14

Forgot a haiku.

Details are many
But I do not notice them
Focus on the girls

I stand by my support of voice actresses even more strongly than ever. The selection process is more grueling than I imagined - and knowing that Mayayan somehow ended up getting a role in Twintails that perfectly mirrors her role in Akibaranger must've been a stroke of luck or a concentrated decision input from somebody. I agree with the guy who wants to make character songs, though. There's plenty of anime that can benefit from having character songs. Though I say that just because I like having an iTunes library full of anime music. What point was I going for again? Oh, right. Voice actresses are the most visible but also the lowest rung in a studio system that somehow produces creative things despite being so rigid I'm perfectly fine with being Oz'd.

cajunator

Banned
Non Non Biyori 1-4

Holy shit this is like really really good. The music is incredible. The direction is fantastic. The backgrounds are Ghibli quality. You have young girls (ya know kids) doing actual kid things instead of stupid bullshit cute girl things like going shopping and sitting around drinking tea in one location and then switching location to proceed to just sit around drinking tea again (I am looking at you K-On!). Like pacing is a thing. There is no stupid fan service. Characters feel like they have real emotions and defined personalities. The fuck? Am I actually watching a slice of life anime that strives to be more than moe bullshit? Like I usually can't stay focused with slice of life anime and wondered why other people enjoyed some of them so much but maybe those were just doing it wrong.

Non Non Biyori is indeed one of the better slice of life shows. Very simple and not oversaturated with drama.

Jesus fuck

give a man some warning before reminding him of the game that killed what love he had left for a company he had patronized from his boyhood.

Jesus fuck

give a man some warning before reminding him of the game that killed what love he had left for a company he had patronized from his boyhood.

Jesus fuck

Jesus fuck

Yall broke Corvy!

Shirobako 14:
The world of voice actresses sure is rough. I liked how we saw the other side of the audition process here, with the decision making that goes into selecting who gets the role. We also see some of the seedier sides of industry practices, and how all of the different production partners can have really different ideas on what they want to push, none of which necessarily line up with putting the best show out there. The scenes with everyone debating who to select were really effective at creating that sort of atmosphere.

So close, and yet so far away for Shizuka. But she's definitely making progress towards her goal.

There are probably people with more expansive knowledge that could do a better job but I'll link a few. SMT Nocturne has a fantastic mix of exciting rock battle themes and ambient background music. And SMT IV does amazing stuff with an electronic focused soundtrack.

My god the first one is awful....those vocals are horrible. Yeah I'm not feeling it. SMT4 tracks sound okay, might check those out. This doesn't even come close to the greatness that is the Persona 3 FES OST.

Parasyte - 14

Another solid episode imo. I love the 'information exchanges' Shinichi has with other Parasytes. That even they notice Shinichi has changed from a normal human being, meanwhile the teacher becoming more 'human' is a nice contrast.
Z7aaT32.jpg

Lain

Maria the Virgin Witch 1

I liked this first episode. Maria's innocence and naivety is quite cute
(thinking about stuff like her wondering why the succubus would have her jaw hurting)
and makes for some funny situations like her attempt at making an impression on the little girl.

Rolling Girls 1

I had fun watching this but it felt a bit like an half-baked episode. A weird starting explanation, a battle (I liked this part, also the ramen battle part) and that stupid cliffhanger-ish end. I would have liked it more if
the confrontation at that amusement park happened this episode, instead of the next.

jman2050

Shirobako 14

Poor Zuka, the lazy college student who sits around and does nothing got a job in anime before she did! Being voice actor is suffering.

This episode went by really fast. The new PA is a pretty interesting dude and we get confirmation that Exodus was... a moderate success?

Oh boy, outsourcing there at the end, this should be fun.

Pooya

Xam'd 22- 26 End

Where is my shoe?

Where is my shoe?

Where is my shoe?

1421343614-5.jpg

Did you hide my shoe?

1421343688-6.jpg

oh she must be THE ARCHITECT

1421343672-3.jpg

Tourism attraction, ROFLCOPTER

1421343797-2.jpg

MOST USELESS DAD NOW CREEPY TOO

1421345802-4.jpg

writers face
tell me

Why Haru and Furuichi joined the army again?
Why Raigyo and captain attacked that place again?

Where was that place anyway? it seemed to easy to get to if it was the capital...

What was the southern empire trying to do with all those experiments anyway. It seemed it all amounted to a fart considering that much running time of the show was dedicated to it. Why Midori had potential for it anyway?

"Queen of Egypt" you say, WHERE IS EGYPT?

Where is my shoe?

Last episode
1421344991-735.gif

they just had to end it somehow right? I'M BACK

The ending stuff was still shamelessly ripping off Nausicaa too much, it wouldn't be this bad if any of it was developed. We just suddenly have a crypt with laser towers and a freaking warrior god.

This was only 26 episodes but felt like 126 episodes. They pretty much passed time without doing anything in 20 something episodes then quickly something like flashes edited together to make a final arc out of nowhere. Captain mentioning some guy I have no idea who he is. Characters suddenly realize they must do something, how this anime even got made, it makes no sense, it's like 20% of a story dragged to 26 episodes. I don't think I have seen a trainwreck quite like this before. It was very promising in the beginning, I could never tell it would turn out as bad as it did. I was still enjoying it until the airship went down, with the ship anything good with the show went away too.

The soundtrack is too good for it, that's unfortunate.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 02

After last episode I caved and read the manga. Happy that the two big spoilers I stumbled upon didn't turn out to be true. Anyhow this route feels like it's gonna skip almost straight to the last arc, obviously with some changes thrown in.

It was a bland setup episode with most of the time being spent in CCG and only a few scenes with Kaneki. With wooden dialogue and production values plummeting, the future of this show does not look very bright. New ED artwork was a nice bonus, wonder if we will be getting a new set with every new episode.

Really you would think that with 3 wards of your capital city taken over, you would start deploying your tanks and airforce.

I loved the game's gameplay, and the second half was terrible, but that ending killed what love I had left.

That fucking bullshit piece of trash god awful horrid filth no good idiotic terribly conceived rancid stank shit stain vulgar miserable pathetic excuse for an ending can go fuck right off the creative cliff it dove so freely over.

Dare I even ask?
The reset loop on chapter 5 is already ridiculous as it is.

I should probably play more Trails in the Sky or start on Valk Chronicles or Demon's Souls since I know they're more suited to my tastes.

Yes you should.

Have you ever played a core SMT game?
What I dislike about P3Fes is simple - Battles are slow as hell, you have no control over your party so Mitsuru keeps using Marin Karin and Koromaru keeps using Mudo on bosses, and when the MC dies, you lose automatically.

And this is why you play Persona 3 Portable. Sure you'll still get a game over when the MC dies but at least you can control your party members.

The characters were pretty good overall, but...

These two fuck ups were some of the worst Law/Chaos protagonists in SMT history (hell, of all the ones I played these guys were the worst). There isn't an iota of nuance in either of their characters; they pretty much play out the Law/Chaos hero concept and do absolutely nothing of interest with it. What's worse is that they
they drop off the map after a certain point in the story and re-appear at the end
, and the writing behind their characterization was poor.

Fortunately, Isabeau was a very good character, and the supporting cast was amazing.

I agree with you about Jonathan but Walter I feel is among the better Chaos protagonists the series has had.

Getting on-topic, I'm thinking of picking up 2 or 3 Winter shows to watch while I'm tackling my backlog. Apart from Durarara, what shows would Anime-Gaf recommend? As long as it's not a Ecchi Harem or a sports show, I have no preference regarding genre.

e_i

Sketchbook Full Colors episode 1

Does Sora talk at all? I can hear her thinking, but I don't think she says a damned thing during the episode. Also, possible yuri?

PK Gaming

Shirobako 14

The bickering in that voice actor meeting was totally reminiscent of AnimeGAF. I'm pretty sure Funny Story! guy will usurp Tarou as the biggest jerkass on this show.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 02

After last episode I caved and read the manga. Happy that the two big spoilers I stumbled upon didn't turn out to be true. Anyhow this route feels like it's gonna skip almost straight to the last arc, obviously with some changes thrown in.

It was a bland setup episode with most of the time being spent in CCG and only a few scenes with Kaneki. With wooden dialogue and production values plummeting, the future of this show does not look very bright. New ED artwork was a nice bonus, wonder if we will be getting a new set with every new episode.

Really you would think that with 3 wards of your capital city taken over, you would start deploying your tanks and airforce.

Well within those wards there are innocent people and let's not forget that Ghouls can blend easily with humans. So having tanks and the air force would be dangerous for the innocent people that could be caught with it. So that's why the CCG was created.

Kancolle - 02

Besides the first few minutes of Banter-chan, best teacher and Banzai it wasn't anything special. MC getting in shape and training, which is just fine. Though I find her the least interesting at the moment.
I'm still very much enjoying this. I think I need to watch that Girls und Panzer since this tickles my fancy even without much context.

Shirobako - Episode 14

That voice acting meeting was madness with some out for their own interests instead of bringing someone who will better the show.
Did like how Takehito Koyasu was hamming it up as the tits and arse guy. Perfect fit for that role!

As for the cast we ended up getting, it was good that the roles were filled with fitting VAs although
it was hard to see Shizuka miss out on the part but like the Sound Director said, you need to nuture new talent instead of throwing them into the deep end. I'm pretty sure she'll get a role somewhere!

Branduil

Shirobako 14

Geez, one thing this show makes clear is that if you work in the anime industry, your work is going to get messed up by some awful people.

Shizuka
doesn't deserve this :(

Looks like next week we're going to get a lesson in the horrors of outsourcing.

phaze

Well within those wards there are innocent people and let's not forget that Ghouls can blend easily with humans. So having tanks and the air force would be dangerous for the innocent people that could be caught with it. So that's why the CCG was created.

Well CCG clearly failed and needs to be propped up with additional forces. Tanks and army would serve that purpose. They basically have civil war in the middle of their capital yet no one in the show seems to acknowledge that. But then we're dealing with incompetents who didn't even bother with encircling the Aogiri hideout in 11th Ward and who consequently, let everyone just walk in and away from there.

Shirobako - 14

My god, aspiring voice actors, my heart goes out to you.

Interesting how there wasn't even enough time for the ED, that meeting simply took to long for even that!

^
@Branduil

Anything wrong with imgur? Because with those 1998 image download speeds from minus there surely is something wrong :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sora No Woto would've been better if it was about Risotto instead of music.

Any new winter 2015 anime I should start watching? It has to be on crubchyroll since that's where I watch anime.

Their lineup of new shows is pretty weak this season, so I hope one looks to Hulu/Funi for bit more.

Anyway
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!
Durarara!! x2
Fafner Exodus

are the must watch on CR of this season.

Assassination Classroom is a must watch but thats on hulu/funi.

Jarmel

Banned
Xam'd left a super nasty in my mouth.

It's like watching someone literally losing their mind.

I don't even understand. How fucking hard is it to remake Eureka Seven?

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 12-13

No clapping? :p

It starts out funny enough, but towards the middle it's a bit too much about them (thinking about) having a kid. It gets better again towards the end though, especially with episode 11 that's interesting.

Pretty funny overall and a nice ending, so 3.5/5 husbands in horse head masks:
3qhfCE3.png
3qhfCE3.png
3qhfCE3.png
jWp3Owv.png
JI4XvM3.png

Well CCG clearly failed and needs to be propped up with additional forces. Tanks and army would serve that purpose. They basically have civil war in the middle of their capital yet no one in the show seems to acknowledge that. But then we're dealing with incompetents who didn't even bother with encircling the Aogiri hideout in 11th Ward and who consequently, let everyone just walk in and away from there.

You'll find out later on the reason why the CCG don't need tanks and the army. If I told you now it would be a spoiler, but it has to do with something special.

Also the army would be useless because bullets have no effect on ghouls. Plus there are some powerful ghouls that could easily destroy tanks, that's why Quinques are more appropriate to detain ghouls.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 02

I like how they are focusing more on the investigators this season. It really humanizes them and makes me anxious since I end up liking people on both sides and I don't want to see anyone get killed. Touka is handling Kaneki's defection surprisingly well.

I hope so, he seems to be a pretty good indicator for shows you should stay away from (when he has a lead roles at least).

I guess you'll end up not liking Shokugeki No Soma since the lead is voiced by Kirito's Voice Actor.

I know I won't end up enjoying it that much because all I will hear is Kirito's voice.

I guess you'll end up not liking Shokugeki No Soma since the lead is voiced by Kirito's Voice Actor.

I know I won't end up enjoying it that much because all I will hear is Kirito's voice.

Yeh most likely. At this point though it's not just because it's Kirito's voice but also because it feels incredible monotone. It's always exactly the same, non-caring manner.

Jex

Shirobako 4-6
NhvQB2bl.png

So this is the Godot thing everyone was talking about. lol

Sadly, I think this was the only interesting moment of this arc. It's unfortunate that the most interesting aspect of the show - the aspiring (voice) actress - is relegated to being a minor character while Miyamori is forced to suffocate in banal anime minutiae without being allowed to become a character in her own right.

So far, this is a show about personalities performing specific job titles. The director has the quirks of an Ed Wood, but there's nothing to fill out the fact that he's weird. Is this a show about mad creative genius? Not really, since it's not actually about creativity more than it is about process. As tedious as a "moe is killing our industry" discussion might be, I almost wish that they had that conversation because then at least the show could be about something more meaningful than giving an inoffensive look at anime production that makes me wonder why I'm not just tracking down episodes of MAG and watching actual people work on real anime. Or hell, why aren't I watching The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness?

Perhaps I am standing by a tree, waiting for Shirobako to arrive.
1. I'd say you're fundamentally wrong criticise the show by asking for it to be something other than what it sets out to be. Shirobako is supposed to be an entertaining, as well as informative, look at the world of anime. It's not positioned as a documentary or even a realistic depiction of how a studio actually operates.
2. You're right to criticise the characterisation but I'd say that develops slowly as the show goes along. They're still, however, fairly flat and one-note in many instances. I, personally don't have a problem with this as it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the show. Ultimately, the show really wants to spend the majority of it's time showing you how anime is made rather than on building character.
3. Due to (1) and the focus on the show being on entertainment rather than, say, critique or serious introspection it's hardly surprising that it doesn't really have much to say about anime beyond how hard it is to make.
4. I think the show does a great service by explaining to the audience a great about the actual process of creating anime, even though it's clearly fictionalised to the extreme. It's sneaking in a lot of "shop talk" under the guise of entertainment and that really helps a wider audience to understand how anime is made as opposed to a standard documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom