• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
WUG 7

wakeupgirls7.jpg

It's pretty safe to say at this point that this really is the first "Post-Okada" anime.

Kantai Collection 2
That hot steamy bathroom scene, now I know why he loves sending that insta fix bucket.
And that torpedo soul, I sincerely hope no one use it for the "other" purpose

cajunator

Banned
Just finish Iria: Zeiram the Animation. Love this old sci-fi show. Tons of action fighting scene and good pacing. Kinda wish it was a bit longer and maybe develop more of the characters but from what I see, it was good enough. Kinda miss those old anime from the past. Going to watch Battle Angel next after this.

One of the first anime that I watched. I have 3 copies of it, one vhs and twice on dvd. It left a big impression on me when I saw it on scifi so many years ago. It probably led to stuff like Armitage and Plastic Little and other sci fi anime.

Kancolle 2

Okay, so what IS it with how everyone makes fun of Naka-chan all the time because she wants to be an idol? It's kind of mean...

Otherwise, generic stuff here. Basically the MC wants to get stronger so as to actually function in battle (and not get kicked out of the fleet / scrapped), so a mixture training-session and cute-antics episode ensues. It was alright. This definitely isn't a show for people who don't already know the characters, but I expected that going in. MC shipgirl still isn't great at sailing at the end of this episode, but she's trying at least, and has improved a little. The cute antics were sometimes amusing too. Overall this episode was average stuff, but decent. Looks like it's back to a battle next time.

Military

... Why does this even exist? So. Bad. At least it's only 3 minutes an episode. Won't be watching more.

Just finish Iria: Zeiram the Animation. Love this old sci-fi show. Tons of action fighting scene and good pacing. Kinda wish it was a bit longer and maybe develop more of the characters but from what I see, it was good enough. Kinda miss those old anime from the past. Going to watch Battle Angel next after this.
Yeah, pretty good OVA. There's also two (kind of bad) live-action movies in the franchise. The movies aren't great, unfortunately. They're set on Earth, and Iria and some random Japanese guys get chased around by Zeiram, she fights Zeiram, etc. The OVA's way better. Or the two videogames (Hyper Iria for SNES and Zeiram Zone for PS1), for that matter.

Man fuck the hate for the twist in SO 3, it's not like the story for the first half as well as the first two games was amazing or anything. so3 is best so....

The twist in SO3 is magnificent .. made the game 300% better.
The only problem with the twist is that it slightly undermines some aspects of SO2. But nothing major .. If the same thing had happenned now , everyone would scream at the "inception" level writing and praise it without reserve.

Shirobako 5-6
Should CG take over? Or key animation stay on?
Nice take on the question this episode, even though there was no answer, it's clear that one will not overtake another because each of the field needs the same talent and is clearly trying to outdo one another. With that, maybe one day both will succeed in imitating each other and improve to the degree of not needing to compete, and working in harmony.

Anyway, great episodes today. I have the feeling that OTP at the end of 6 was deliberate.

fertygo

The twist in SO3 is magnificent .. made the game 300% better.
The only problem with the twist is that it slightly undermines some aspects of SO2. But nothing major .. If the same thing had happenned now , everyone would scream at the "inception" level writing and praise it without reserve.
Nope. SO3 is my first time ever complaining to vidya game story, its that bad.

Have you heard his work in DDS?
Even for his "J-Pop" style, Catherine might outdoes P3-P4

That bode well for P5 though because he always mentioning lack of space in PS2 level hardware.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shirobako 4-6
NhvQB2bl.png

So this is the Godot thing everyone was talking about. lol

Sadly, I think this was the only interesting moment of this arc. It's unfortunate that the most interesting aspect of the show - the aspiring (voice) actress - is relegated to being a minor character while Miyamori is forced to suffocate in banal anime minutiae without being allowed to become a character in her own right.

So far, this is a show about personalities performing specific job titles. The director has the quirks of an Ed Wood, but there's nothing to fill out the fact that he's weird. Is this a show about mad creative genius? Not really, since it's not actually about creativity more than it is about process. As tedious as a "moe is killing our industry" discussion might be, I almost wish that they had that conversation because then at least the show could be about something more meaningful than giving an inoffensive look at anime production that makes me wonder why I'm not just tracking down episodes of MAG and watching actual people work on real anime. Or hell, why aren't I watching The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness?

Perhaps I am standing by a tree, waiting for Shirobako to arrive.

Jarmel

Banned
Princess Kaguya is now Oscar nominated for Animated Feature.

It should win but Disney has already written the checks I'm sure.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Wake up Girls Seven Idol
Ah, Yamakan, the most ambitious director that ever grace anime. His crusade to save anime continue in this 'movie' about idol.
Let see, there's other idol anime like love Live and IdolM@ster. But none is as 'real' as Wake Up Girls. This is the true behind the scene of an idol. Corrupt adult exploiting young girl, shaping them to be idolized by fans. Sexual harrasment in work place. Awkward panchira scene. Even with limited budget and quality moment, nothing gonna stop the Yamakan hype train! Bring it!

Note: Damn, did they just cover Nyaruko-san opening song? NICE~

There was definitely a whole bunch of friendship shit that dragged the quality down

I feel that JRPG nakama morale brings the quality of a game up rather than down for me. There's just something about a bunch of fun little characters all marching forward to face their enemy with determination written all over their faces that I just love in JRPGs, and anime in general.

It's probably why I still really enjoy Fairy Tail despite its major flaws (and despite the fact that Hiro Mashima really knows how to troll his audience).

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 6

So, not much to say about this episode, really. We get a little background on Nanoha and her friends, Nanoha herself is still moping about, and Fate has what look like lash marks on her back. Nanoha tries to break the ice with Fate, and then we end on an explosive note.

Perhaps it was a mistake to try to watch this when I'm this tired, but I doubt rest would cause me to view this episode in a more favorable light. It just seems to lack energy.

Also, I'm already getting tired of the transformation sequence, although I know it's a staple of the genre. It's just dead airtime to me.

Next episode looks like it could be interesting, though.

Oh it is. I'd say that the next episode is where I got 100% hooked on this show and made me not want to stop.

Theonik

Leon michelle is more a lion than a Cat..
Same thing.
leonpetting.webm

Dog Days' 11

Possible candidate for the vaunted dogdayss2inanutshell.jpg award.
Do you want to try it Narag? It's really fluffy!
Mofumakura

Not the Wind Rises?

Sort it out Oscar.
It was in the running last year.

Princess Kaguya is now Oscar nominated for Animated Feature.

It should win but Disney has already written the checks I'm sure.
The animated feature category is a joke anyway. The academy largely doesn't care and there is a significant number of votes that are 'I dunno only watched HTTD2 with my son, was OK will vote for that, animation is 4kids'

JoeFu

Banned
Why is every one Watching Wake, Up Girls all of the sudden? Some sort of pact or something?

and is it good?

Probably a coincidence. I watched it because I was bored and remembered the waifubot twitter account gave me a girl from the show. I enjoyed it. Animation is awful though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The animated feature category is a joke anyway. The academy largely doesn't care and there is a significant number of votes that are 'I dunno only watched HTTD2 with my son, was OK will vote for that, animation is 4kids'

Yeah, reading this article a while back was truly shocking.

I got that coffin of a box from the Academy [with DVDs of the shorts in it], and the discs started falling out and I just said, “Screw it. Life’s too short.” I thought [sending them to us] was a nice thing to do, though.
Ha ha, lets not even bother to do our job!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was nominated last year.

Which is why the GAF AOTY thing is weird. :p
Poor Miyazaki. Two years of nominations and no prizes. Last year Frozen beat it at the Oscars, this year iDOLM@STER will beat it at the The NeoGAF Japanimation of the Year Award Show 2015.

Theonik

To be fair, I don' think Academy members get paid to do this job.
Membership is invitation only and it's more of a status.
The Oscars themselves are a silly exercise anyway, so while I think that kind of stance is against the spirit of their role, but kinda par for the course really also:
A Los Angeles Times study found that academy voters are markedly less diverse than the moviegoing public, and even more monolithic than many in the film industry may suspect. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and 77% male, The Times found. Blacks are about 2% of the academy, and Latinos are less than 2%.

Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership
Source

It's hardly surprising.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, I don' think Academy members get paid to do this job.
Membership is invitation only and it's more of a status. The Oscars themselves are a silly exercise anyway, so while I think that kind of stance is against the spirit of their role, but kinda par for the course really also:
Source

It's hardly surprising.
I mean, it's anyone who is part of any of the guilds basically. Kevin Smith would randomly talk about filling out his ballot once in a while on his podcast when the screeners would start rolling in and he would talk about random movies.

John Blade

Kancolle 2

Yeah, pretty good OVA. There's also two (kind of bad) live-action movies in the franchise. The movies aren't great, unfortunately. They're set on Earth, and Iria and some random Japanese guys get chased around by Zeiram, she fights Zeiram, etc. The OVA's way better. Or the two videogames (Hyper Iria for SNES and Zeiram Zone for PS1), for that matter.

Saw one of the trailer of one of the movie. Yeah, it look like a B-rated movie from what I saw but did love the animation of the monster as it's moving. I might pass the movie but for the OVA, it's a fun show with enough plot to push the story while have good pacing which make the show easy to watch without any slow part which can drag the show down. I kinda wish they expand the show universe a bit and also more about Zeiram and why it was build. All we got is a small but good detail info about the monster.

Even so, kinda wish this show can be remake into a bigger TV show but that is a high expectation now. Well, worth the money I spend for the DVD.

Also, did you notice the animation from the show on the DVD? For some reason, the DVD I own look fine but a bit darker in color but if you watch the show on Youtube, it's more clearer. Is they another DVD or Blu-ray release of this show? Kinda surprise the big difference in look.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Wake Up Girls 1
Op taking cut from the movie, while the ED is still background.
After their debut concert the idols are now wondering wether or not they should continue. Thanks their lucky star, they found a 'totally not suspicious' producer to help them. Bikini episode, ahoy!

The characters were pretty good overall, but...

These two fuck ups were some of the worst Law/Chaos protagonists in SMT history (hell, of all the ones I played these guys were the worst). There isn't an iota of nuance in either of their characters; they pretty much play out the Law/Chaos hero concept and do absolutely nothing of interest with it. What's worse is that they
they drop off the map after a certain point in the story and re-appear at the end
, and the writing behind their characterization was poor.

Fortunately, Isabeau was a very good character, and the supporting cast was amazing.

Walter hate? You've gone too far this time.

Shirobako 4-6
http://i.imgur.com/NhvQB2bl.png/img]
So this is the Godot thing everyone was talking about. lol

Sadly, I think this was the only interesting moment of this arc. It's unfortunate that the most interesting aspect of the show - the aspiring (voice) actress - is relegated to being a minor character while Miyamori is forced to suffocate in banal anime minutiae without being allowed to become a character in her own right.

So far, this is a show about personalities performing specific job titles. The director has the quirks of an Ed Wood, but there's nothing to fill out the fact that he's weird. Is this a show about mad creative genius? Not really, since it's not actually about creativity more than it is about process. As tedious as a "moe is killing our industry" discussion might be, I almost wish that they had that conversation because then at least the show could be about something more meaningful than giving an inoffensive look at anime production that makes me wonder why I'm not just tracking down episodes of [B]MAG[/B] and watching actual people work on real anime. Or hell, why aren't I watching [B]The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness[/B]?

Perhaps I am standing by a tree, waiting for Shirobako to arrive.[/QUOTE]
What unholy compulsion drives you to compare everything you see to some banal piece of American media, no matter how tortured the connection

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 2
All that foreshadowing. If you ever read the manga, you will enjoy it, plus it's so subtle, anime only watcher won't get spoiled.

It's just a build-up episode today. Same old same old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom