• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel blessed knowing how I've only heard Kirito talking once all the way back when episode 1 first aired.

Now since I never held any attachment between him or any of the VA's previous outings.

Whenever I hear him as Soma, my mind will automatically go "Oh, it's Soma's VA" when he shows up in other future roles.

Jarmel

Banned
I should mention that T. Mizushima doing a 'moe is killing the industry' in a serious manner would be fairly hypocritical considering the character designs of the females are pretty moe.

I feel like the show can't be too critical anyway without Mizushima burning bridges.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - 02

Oh Kureo has a daughter and she is joining the investigators? Awesome. I like the emphasis on the investigators this episode. At the same time I wish there was more of Kaneki and his new 'friends'.
I wonder why they put so much time into the Owl looking strange. I thought the old Anteiku guy was the Owl, but the first scene in this episode he was wearing a hood and was fighting with investigators.
Last episode you could clearly see the old mans hair. Does he have a brother or something? New ED art was neat, hopefully we'll get one each episode.
ttJDy9J.jpg

This one is a keeper Amon!

Syrinx

Kinmoza 4

Did this show actually have an exchange where they say that Shinobu "doesn't act young enough?" Like...is that what their idea of "mature" actually is?

Don't like this show. Non-Karen parts aren't worth putting up with to get to Karen parts, especially when Shinobu and Alice always dominate every damn conversation anyway.

Parasyte 14

Reiko continues to be the only interesting living female character, and she's not even human. IIRC, that won't be changing any time soon.

Jarmel

Banned
This dude was a better father to Leon in all their 10 seconds of screentime together than German for all first half.

It's so damn infuriating. German shows like zero interest in the welfare of his own child. Alfonso is the one who has to ask about Leon.

I hope Leon spits in German's face next time he sees him. "Yes I fucked up but you sure as hell didn't help to pick me back up".

BluWacky

Xam'd 22- 26 End
Why Haru and Furuichi joined the army again?

Haru says in episode 6 that she joins the army because, with all civilian traffic on Sentan locked down by the military, she thinks it's her best shot of getting off the island to find Akiyuki.

Furuichi joins because he wants to protect the island from the Humanforms. (episode 5)

Why Raigyo and captain attacked that place again?

The Diamond Tower? The Hiruken Emperor lived in it. Plus Raigyo had a grudge in that he was investigating it when he was implanted with his Hiruko (episode 8).

Where was that place anyway? it seemed to easy to get to if it was the capital...

The Diamond Tower is invisible to all except Xam'ds and those "connected" with it - the show never explains why Haru can see it although for whatever reason she has a connection with Xam'ds that others do not.

What was the southern empire trying to do with all those experiments anyway. It seemed it all amounted to a fart considering that much running time of the show was dedicated to it. Why Midori had potential for it anyway?

They wanted to gain the upper hand in the North-South conflict by creating human/hiruko hybrids. The potential for hiruko implantation is not given as a specific talent - it just involves having the right physical and spiritual capabilities (the reason given in episode 16 for a candidate being unsuitable was "poor prana energy"), and Midori fell into this category.

"Queen of Egypt" you say, WHERE IS EGYPT?

Not that it helps, but it's a real Japanese poem by Noriko Ibaragi called "Soul". Of course Egypt and Sirius don't have any place in the world of Xam'd, but it's "anachronistic" in a different way than you're thinking.

Where is my shoe?

I thought the shoe thing made sense, if I'm honest. But then I loved Xam'd, as you can probably tell, so didn't have to suspend my disbelief about the usual craziness of anime by this point.

Kvik

It's so damn infuriating. German shows like zero interest in the welfare of his own child. Alfonso is the one who has to ask about Leon.

I hope Leon spits in German's face next time he sees him. "Yes I fucked up but you sure as hell didn't help to pick me back up".

It's true. German is a great Makai Kishi but absolute shit of a dad. Even Emma is practically a better parent than him.

Saekano - 01

Well MC is about as interesting as watching wet paint dry. It had quite the different tone from that prequel.
The smart ass and tsundere girls are interesting enough on their own, but by far the worst crime of the episode is I saw no Michiru at all.
0/10
I'll keep watching anyway

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 14:

Okay, PA Works has to be drawing upon some prior experiences with some of this stuff, as I can totally buy a production committee meeting playing out in such a fashion.

FluxWaveZ

Shirobako Episode 14:

Okay, PA Works has to be drawing upon some prior experiences with some of this stuff, as I can totally buy a production committee meeting playing out in such a fashion.

The whole thing felt like a means to lash out at certain types of people they've had to deal with in the past. Like that scene is cathartic for some in the know, heh.

Clov

Shirobako 14

I know that life can't be perfect and all, but I really wish that Zuka managed to win that role. It seemed like she was so close! Also, I have a bad feeling about that studio that Miyamori went to visit.

On a different note, we might see some announcements from Aniplex and Funimation at Otakon Vegas tomorrow and Saturday, respectively. I'm hoping that Aniplex finally, finally puts Koimonogatari up for preorder. I'd like to hear some good news about Mushishi, too.

There's also supposed to be two announcements from Funimation tomorrow as part of ANN's podcast, so if you're willing to put up with that you can give it a listen. On a side note, apparently Index/Railgun did pretty bad on home video over here.

Narag

Dog Days' 12

One of the nicer things about the second season is it manages to juggle the large cast exceptionally well. Since it never really deviates from the lighthearted adventure format, one gets these great humorous combinations of feature characters each ep that consistently feels fresh since each char is unique while simultaneously never forgetting the rest of the cast.

Kan Colle - 02

it's kancolle , just accept it

A training episode where nothing happenned + BANZAIIIII

If it's like that that kancolle deals with IRL timers, i cannot wait to see Valkyrie crusade animated !

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BEAR SHOCK!
Fair enough :p Is there
lesbian bear
I can still use for my avatar ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
At this point, I'm sure everyone is
a lesbian bear
, so there are probably more than enough avatars to come. lol

What unholy compulsion drives you to compare everything you see to some banal piece of American media, no matter how tortured the connection
They had an episode where they locked the director in a cage because he wouldn't do his storyboards. I mean, in the oeuvre of crazy directors in fiction, Ed Wood is basically the gold standard.

Besides, you can't have it both ways. Otherwise, everything you say has to be qualified by "for an anime."

The whole thing felt like a means to lash out at certain types of people they've had to deal with in the past. Like that scene is cathartic for some in the know, heh.

Yeah, I'm sure there was a lot of catharsis there. I can just imagine how annoying it would be dealing with production committee members who had such weird requests or demands for how to cast the show.

Pooya

Haru says in episode 6 that she joins the army because, with all civilian traffic on Sentan locked down by the military, she thinks it's her best shot of getting off the island to find Akiyuki.

Furuichi joins because he wants to protect the island from the Humanforms. (episode 5)
I know that. I'm asking those questions from the writer, as in where they intended for it to go and what to do with it? I was thinking, yeah it makes sense that they are pushed into the army, regardless of their own personal reasons, those don't matter, we will get to see a war from two sides right? They didn't do anything with it. They joined army and they quickly dropped out or imprisoned. Maybe they were going with the intention to say that you do a lot of things in life that don't lead to anywhere, backtrack and even regret, it didn't make for a good story telling here to me. Furuichi was a very bad antagonist or whatever he was. Haru still was with the army eventhough her reasons were no longer relevant and she actually wanted to do better even.

The Diamond Tower? The Hiruken Emperor lived in it. Plus Raigyo had a grudge in that he was investigating it when he was implanted with his Hiruko (episode 8).

The Diamond Tower is invisible to all except Xam'ds and those "connected" with it - the show never explains why Haru can see it although for whatever reason she has a connection with Xam'ds that others do not.

I must have missed the invisible bit. Again in the same view as above, they didn't accomplish anything going there, emperor was getting out, he got out, they just got killed themselves. Maybe to show that Northern people don't like the current situation, that was apparent with how poor they are and rationing. This part isn't so bad now that I'm looking again, makes sense to show a rebel group and that they do something even if it's hopeless to kill the emperor like that.

They wanted to gain the upper hand in the North-South conflict by creating human/hiruko hybrids. The potential for hiruko implantation is not given as a specific talent - it just involves having the right physical and spiritual capabilities (the reason given in episode 16 for a candidate being unsuitable was "poor prana energy"), and Midori fell into this category.

Earlier in the series this made sense to me, it looked like southern army is overwhelmed by northern armies but then later we see southern fleets are bombing villages and cities and those northern monsters are never seen again, only some soldiers is all you see here and there. It didn't feel they were the weak guys there, until the emperor showed up that is. If they wanted to beat the emperor with it it makes some sense. Still looking how it all turned out, it wasn't a plot point worth spending this much time on and have quite a few of the characters attached to it, I'd have thought they are making the equivalent of nuclear bomb here but it was just THAT instead.

Not that it helps, but it's a real Japanese poem by Noriko Ibaragi called "Soul". Of course Egypt and Sirius don't have any place in the world of Xam'd, but it's "anachronistic" in a different way than you're thinking.
That's informative, thanks.

I thought the shoe thing made sense, if I'm honest. But then I loved Xam'd, as you can probably tell, so didn't have to suspend my disbelief about the usual craziness of anime by this point.

Midori is a barely developed character (still much better than some others! like the Emperor and his ghost), that's the main problem here. We just see her flashback after all this time and have to just understand what she thinks. A character that seemed like a minor background one in the beginning and brought to importance for no apparent reason. Why they had to experiment on Haru's sister? That lady officer finds her interesting, never mentioned why.

Shirobako 14

Most important VA trait.

Watching this meeting in deciding the VA just made me think they creators of this show had to have run into people like this before in the past. Like their mannerism and traits were just so extreme and completely unlikable in any way. I'll call it, hate animating.

Shinmai Maou no testament - 02

Succubus is messing with people , dull childhood friend is dull , the cut scene didn't bother me much ..the smoke+light beam in the bath scene did bother me more.

Overall , i think i'll stay untill they finish to adapt the first arc untill i decide to drop it or not.

Midonin

Saekano 01

This is filling the Denki Gai-shaped hole in my heart. And not just because I completely share Tomoya's desire to create a VN of my own at some point. I'm the scenario guy, and provider of general ideas. Can't draw worth anything. Eri and Utaha's interactions are a lot of fun to watch, and seeing artists creating art is one of my favorite things to see in art. Write what you know, after all. Doujin games can strike gold, too. Fate and Higurashi had their start as one, y'know.

April 13

Which, in a way, ties nicely into the theme of the noitaminA block as a whole this season. Both of its shows are about artists, be it through doujin games or music. Sweet, sweet catharsis to be had this week, but that final scene is heavily foreshadowing that Kousei's not out of the woods yet when it comes to tragedy in his life. Take me into the second half, o show.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I am just blown away that I like it as much as I have. I really have trouble enjoying slice of life anime in general. I usually enjoy the first episode when everything is new, but I quickly grow tired of there being no plot. Everything just grows stale. Non Non Biyori does a really good job of telling a story and conveying emotion without using dialogue which is something animation has the freedom to do better than anything and unfortunately doesn't do enough.

We need more slice of life like this and Barakamon.

You're in for a treat we need more chill shows like NNB. Soon you will be just like us, waiting desperately for the second season to air.

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days S2 Ep. 4

Why wont anyone pet me :(

Dog Days S2 Ep. 5

Twin Tails Leo > *

awww *patpatpat
Dog Days does make you feel like the world should be mofuwa and pettable like that.

Things that I hated about the end of Bravely Default:

1. You HAVE to walk right into Airy's trap, despite knowing well ahead of time it was coming. You just have to.

2. Tiz is suddenly dead and may have been dead the whole game/ the person everyone knew as Tiz may never have been Tiz at all.

3. Ringabel goes back to his home world despite the gate to all worlds closing so that he can save Edea, throwing away the entire game's worth of relationship building with Edea.

4. Also Tiz and Agnes are thrown out the window for the pointless sequel hook.

5. Also dear God that fucking awful sequel hook. LET'S THROW OUT 40 PLUS HOURS OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND LEAVE THEM IN AMBIGUITY FOR THE SAKE OF INTRODUCING SOME FUCKING DWEEB DOING FLIPS AND SHIT. Really

There was probably more but basically I hated everything.

Is this the game that did the adorable MGRGR thing? Thats all I know about it.

I think I should just play Chrono Trigger again

Ive heard this game was amazing. Its not too short. Maybe it can be the second RPG I ever play.

Kinmoza 3

I was losing interest, but then Karen showed up. I'll give it another couple episodes.

Alternatively though this show is bringing back awful memories of a few semesters ago when I was taking a Global Communications course and there was this total weeaboo in the class who did his group project on Japan and made this video about the seven honor things the samurai observe but put images from Mirai Nikki and Heaven's Loost Property and a whole bunch of other anime and showed it to the class. Anyway he made this bullshit point that most Japanese people have never seen somebody with blonde hair before and thus they would love you if you had it. All of Shinobu's going nuts over Karen's blonde hair kinda brought that rushing back.

Karen makes the show work. You will probably love her. If not, well you should!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 6

So, not much to say about this episode, really. We get a little background on Nanoha and her friends, Nanoha herself is still moping about, and Fate has what look like lash marks on her back. Nanoha tries to break the ice with Fate, and then we end on an explosive note.

Perhaps it was a mistake to try to watch this when I'm this tired, but I doubt rest would cause me to view this episode in a more favorable light. It just seems to lack energy.

Also, I'm already getting tired of the transformation sequence, although I know it's a staple of the genre. It's just dead airtime to me.

Next episode looks like it could be interesting, though.

It ramps up from there, although slowly. A's just blasts out the gate so youre on the climb to glory at the moment.

It wasn't released here either. Imported it from Australia :p

Oh ok I see. Still lucky :p
Also how does Australia get all this amazing shit like Tatami Galaxy, Dennou Coil and fuckin Higurashi Kai in that tiny market? It doesnt make sense!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
1. I'd say you're fundamentally wrong criticise the show by asking for it to be something other than what it sets out to be. Shirobako is supposed to be an entertaining, as well as informative, look at the world of anime. It's not positioned as a documentary or even a realistic depiction of how a studio actually operates.
2. You're right to criticise the characterisation but I'd say that develops slowly as the show goes along. They're still, however, fairly flat and one-note in many instances. I, personally don't have a problem with this as it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the show. Ultimately, the show really wants to spend the majority of it's time showing you how anime is made rather than on building character.
3. Due to (1) and the focus on the show being on entertainment rather than, say, critique or serious introspection it's hardly surprising that it doesn't really have much to say about anime beyond how hard it is to make.
4. I think the show does a great service by explaining to the audience a great about the actual process of creating anime, even though it's clearly fictionalised to the extreme. It's sneaking in a lot of "shop talk" under the guise of entertainment and that really helps a wider audience to understand how anime is made as opposed to a standard documentary.
I've said it before somewhere, but Shirobako is about as dull as a Behind the Scenes puff piece for a big budget Hollywood film. That's my problem with the show. Danny Choo has visited anime studios twice on his Japanese Culture show and went through the entire anime production line in like 15 minutes. And again, when something like MAG exists (or used to exist anyway), where you can get real documentary footage of actual animators at actual anime studios making actual anime, I just feel like there has to be something more.

I mean, if we don't want to compare anime to anything else because anime is in its on walled garden, then I'd have to at least ask why I think Working!! or Servant x Service is more engaging than Shirobako on a narrative level. I think you already know the answer though.

I guess I would also have to ask where all the praise was for Bakuman when it went into tedious detail about the production process at Shounen Jump? I mean, is this because people here are more inclined to be anime fans? Is it because the main character is a girl instead of the most bland male protagonist to step out of Shounen Jump?

I don't necessarily dislike the show, but after people telling me to watch it (and it's still the only Fall show that I've seen basically), I'm just not really seeing the appeal for me personally. I'm a very casual anime watcher in the grand scheme of things, inasmuch as I barely remember the names of directors let alone the names of individual animators, but even I know most of the stuff that they've show in terms of the production process.

I'm sure you know that I've been decrying reference culture in the media, because it is a form of mental masturbation that satisfies people in a community but has very little appeal elsewhere. Whether it's The Big Bang Theory saying "Us nerds, am I right?" or Genshiken Nidaime saying "Gay/Girl nerds, am I right?", at some point it becomes a black hole that sucks the oxygen out of the air. An anime about making an anime seems precipitously close to the event horizon of that black hole. And not in the push a pencil through a piece of paper Interstellar kind of way.

There's a part of me that wished that my theory that Shirobako was actually a metatexual anime about making Shirobako and PA Works' production process panned out. Why does it have to be 5 moe girls? Why did they have to shoehorn in mascot characters in the first few episodes? But that self-awareness seems to disappear into the background by the time episode 4 starts.

Kyuur

I'm sure you know that I've been decrying reference culture in the media, because it is a form of mental masturbation that satisfies people in a community but has very little appeal elsewhere. Whether it's The Big Bang Theory saying "Us nerds, am I right?"

Are we living in the same universe?

Can't say I agree on Shirobako being dull either. It's engaging every second of the episode for me. Different tastes I guess? I haven't seen Bakuman, Working!! or Servant x Service, maybe I should give those a try and report back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are we living in the same universe?

Can't say I agree on Shirobako being dull either. It's engaging every second of the episode for me. Different tastes I guess? I haven't seen Bakuman, Working!! or Servant x Service, maybe I should give those a try and report back.
I suppose if you enjoy Shirobako, then you would probably like Bakuman. lol

An easy litmus test would be to try to get someone who doesn't care about anime to watch the show though. I have no idea when this is on, but I assume it airs at 26:40 when the only people who would watch at are the very people who would post on 2ch. Must like that otaku husband short anime from last season.

survivor

Banned
I guess I would also have to ask where all the praise was for Bakuman when it went into tedious detail about the production process at Shounen Jump? I mean, is this because people here are more inclined to be anime fans? Is it because the main character is a girl instead of the most bland male protagonist to step out of Shounen Jump?
Probably cause Bakuman had childish writing, over the top villains, and went on for far too long.

cajunator

Banned
Denpa Kyoushi TV anime announced http://websunday.net/news/15011601.html

I liked the old visual for the animated CM: http://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/show/news_id/77234/image_id/148529 hope it looks similar?

So this is another school drama anime? Anything special about it?

Shirobako 14:
The world of voice actresses sure is rough. I liked how we saw the other side of the audition process here, with the decision making that goes into selecting who gets the role. We also see some of the seedier sides of industry practices, and how all of the different production partners can have really different ideas on what they want to push, none of which necessarily line up with putting the best show out there. The scenes with everyone debating who to select were really effective at creating that sort of atmosphere.

So close, and yet so far away for Shizuka. But she's definitely making progress towards her goal.

It may be rough but if a VA makes it big, theres a ton of money to be made!
They have to start somewhere. Better business prospects than any other anime related position!

If it has been just the boy and the robot, it could have been great. The group dynamic, and side-characters, is by far the worst element of the film.

Whaaaaat? B-but Gogo :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably cause Bakuman had childish writing, over the top villains, and went on for far too long.
I don't disagree, but is the absence of character better than bad characters?
If you care about how Shounen Jump actually works, I assume you'd find the show very engaging. Certainly it's the first time I became aware of the fact that a lot of the more disposable manga magazines are printed on green and pink newsprint.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If Bakuman had tighter pacing it would've been a lot better.

I enjoyed it until it went into shounen battoru territory.

And, you didn't see it because you're only an anime watcher, but most of us in the manga thread liked Bakuman early on because of the insight it gave us into the manga-creation process.

Shirobako 14

54e703b844.jpg

This is too real

That entire voice acting decision scene is glorious. All that bickering for 10 minutes, then at the end they've only decided on ONE CHARACTER. That last part with redhead was sad though ;_;

Next episode is outsourcing? Is this like the 9 Circles of Hell for Anime?

Naruto Shippuden Episode 395 - The Chunin Exams Begin!

Fantastic arc. Had kept forgetting that it was taking place in between so was shocked by Asuma or even Shikamaru not being a genin anymore.

I think this is a great filler arc, makes me want to go back and watch all of Naruto from the start again. Part 1 was so interesting for everyone and then the other team episodes after the manga plot resolved.

And that Konohamaru in the next episode pv part, yes Naruto oniichan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom