• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Bakuman turned into "sport" (competition is the right word, you get the gist) with rating, Shirobako is not.. its still role-playing drama which absurdly rare in anime despite its an common at asian live action drama scene.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If Bakuman had tighter pacing it would've been a lot better.

I enjoyed it until it went into shounen battoru territory.

And, you didn't see it because you're only an anime watcher, but most of us in the manga thread liked Bakuman early on because of the insight it gave us into the manga-creation process.
Sure, but even that wore thin for you eventually. That's where I'm at with Shirobako at the moment, and I'm apparently in the middle of the "good part".

Bakuman turned into "sport" (competition is the right word, you get the gist) with rating, Shirobako is not.. its still role-playing drama which absurdly rare in anime despite its an common at asian live action drama scene.
Honestly, I would appreciate a dead family member or some faux incest angst at this point. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sure, but even that wore thin for you eventually. That's where I'm at with Shirobako at the moment, and I'm apparently in the middle of the "good part".

No, what wore thin was the characters not going anywhere.

If they just fed me more juicy details about the process I would've eaten it up.

I guess you just want more Nozaki-kun out of your "meta stories about an industry"?

survivor

Banned
I don't disagree, but is the absence of character better than bad characters?
If you care about how Shounen Jump actually works, I assume you'd find the show very engaging. Certainly it's the first time I became aware of the fact that a lot of the more disposable manga magazines are printed on green and pink newsprint.

The issue with Bakuman really is after their first manga got cancelled, the story had nothing more interesting to tell about the entire process or the industry. It just became repetitive with your average dumb shounen writing and some ridiculous villain that tried to create a factory to churn out manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, what wore thin was the characters not going anywhere.

If they just fed me more juicy details about the process I would've eaten it up.

I guess you just want more Nozaki-kun out of your "meta stories about an industry"?
I mean, the comedy in Nozaki-kun got one-note and sitcom-ey, but sure.

For me, in anime anyway, the exemplar of a good show about a process in the nerd community is Genshiken, which went through the Comiket process but also told a story about the characters in the club. Now, Madarame got turned into a harem protagonist in Nidaime, but let's forget that ever happened. :p

The issue with Bakuman really is after their first manga got cancelled, the story had nothing more interesting to tell about the entire process or the industry. It just became repetitive with your average dumb shounen writing and some ridiculous villain that tried to create a factory to churn out manga.
I didn't even make it to that point before it just became too dull to watch.

PK Gaming

I guess I would also have to ask where all the praise was for Bakuman when it went into tedious detail about the production process at Shounen Jump? I mean, is this because people here are more inclined to be anime fans? Is it because the main character is a girl instead of the most bland male protagonist to step out of Shounen Jump?

The answer is

C) Bakuman was dragged down by romantic subplots that went nowhere and writing that simply wasn't good. Please don't insinuate that there's some sort of double standard going on here. If anything, the moe female protagonists makes it harder to recommend this show to casual anime fans.

Honestly? Shirobako's acclaim comes down to the fact that it's a competent anime (unlike those shows you mentioned). I hate to play this card, but the general enthused response from this thread speaks to a certain level of quality (unlike something say... Bakuman, which almost definitely had a mixed reception). Your mileage may vary of course, but I've personally never been bored with any of the episodes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Genshiken was about a college clique that did clique things.

The Comiket arc was just one segment of the entire thing. It worked because it already had established characters to play off of one another.

But Shirobako's entire existence revolves around the process of anime creation. It's not a story about a bunch of high school girls dreaming of making anime, its a story about production.

Genshiken:
Focus - College bros being bros (characters)
Side story - Making doujinshi for comiket (process)

Shirobako:
Focus - Anime production (process)
Side Story - Depressed moe girl who needs to learn to draw cats so she can eat donuts (character)

In the former, the doujinshi production arc furthers the development of the characters. In the latter, Emi's work-related stress deepens the depiction of production!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The answer is

C) Bakuman was dragged down by romantic subplots that went nowhere and writing that simply wasn't good. Please don't insinuate that there's some sort of double standard going on here. If anything, the moe female protagonists makes it harder to recommend this show to casual anime fans.

Honestly? Shirobako's acclaim comes down to the fact that it's a competent anime (unlike those shows you mentioned). I hate to play that card, but the general enthused response speaks to a certain level of quality (unlike something say... Bakuman, which almost definitely had a mixed reception). Your mileage may vary of course, but I've personally never been bored with any of the episodes.
My issue with the "double standard" is more an assumption that this is a show about the very medium that people here are a fan of, which would lead people to be more inclined to like it than if the show was about, say, what it's like to work in a Japanese hospital and Miyamori was a doctor fresh out of medical school doing her first residency.

I don't think I've been bored, but I also have been uninterested. I don't necessarily think they are synonymous anyway.

Branduil

I watched the first episode of Bakuman and it had one of the dumbest premises I've ever seen. Plus sexism. Not sure why it's being compared to Shirobako.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
if you have time, check out the last few chapters, they did the whole "seiyuus must remain pure and virgins without any boyfriends" storyline. It's pretty hilarious.
Gag. I remember seeing that the climax is the two main characters finally meeting for the first time since high school or something dumb like that. lol

Genshiken was about a college clique that did clique things.

The Comiket arc was just one segment of the entire thing. It worked because it already had established characters to play off of one another.

But Shirobako's entire existence revolves around the process of anime creation. It's not a story about a bunch of high school girls dreaming of making anime, its a story about production!

Genshiken:
Focus - College bros being bros (characters)
Side story - Making doujinshi for comiket (process)

Shirobako:
Focus - Anime production (process)
Side Story - Depressed moe girl who needs to learn to draw cats so she can eat donuts (character)

Comiket was the focus of the original Genshiken though. First going to it, then actually applying to it and making a book. But it was made more interesting because it became about arrested development and trying to find a place to fit into the oppressive nature of Japanese society.

Its OK to not like things other people like.
I'm not so sure. lol

fertygo

I watched the first episode and it had one of the dumbest premises I've ever seen. Plus sexism. Not sure why it's being compared to Shirobako.

Marriage thing aside, many mangaka does start in high school and that's actually the premise, not sure what so dumb about it.

But Bakuman pacing does very dreadful because they stretching the manga. Shirobako as original show has advantage on that.

First couple of bakuman eps already turned off people because that.

jbug617

Banned
Your Lie in April 13

Hopefully this will bring closure for Kousei and his mother problems.
Of course you know right after he gets past his mother, the Kaori drama begins.

CDiggity

Shirobako 14

When you put all the main girls side by side, they seem kinda samefacey.

But yeah, as if I needed more reasons to never work in the anime industry.

Servant x Service was terrible at showing anything about being a civil service worker in Japan and better at showing the story of a girl with big tits who was socially inept when it comes to relationships getting courted by a guy everyone considers a horndog.

Your Lie in April Episode 13 - Love's Sorrow

The Kousei family drama has always been the best part of the anime. Really could have just ended this at 13 episodes and this episode and it would have been perfect. The mom story is far more interesting that the other girl really. Great episode and song.

Tokyo Ghoul √A 02

Akira is the best girl.
Sorry Touka.

Why is the music right before the ending always better then both the OP and the ED? Although I do like the changing art in the ED's, that style is super pretty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Working x Working was terrible at showing anything about being a civil service worker in Japan and better at showing the story of a girl with big tits who was socially inept when it comes to relationships getting courted by a guy everyone considers a horndog.
That's because I assume working at a municipal office in Japan is one of the most boring jobs in the world.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Dog Days - 11-13 [Season 1 END]

ZgKQ3IL.png
mcTKfGa.png

:sdburton

You know, I enjoyed this show more than I thought I would. The male lead was both competent and capable at handling whatever was thrown his way, which is rare in harems. I was bummed to see this end but then quickly remembered that I have another season to marathon as well as getting caught up on the third that just started! Yesssssss!

OTPs at the end of the first season:

Leonmichelli x Millhiore

Cinque x Éclair

==============================================

Dog Days' - 01

sP7elpk.png
BKUlLd6.png

New OTP incoming

The moment Nanami got some screen time at the end of the first season I prayed she would get the chance to join Cinque on his return trip back. What made it even better was that she ended up signing on as Leonmichelli's hero! Yessssssss!

OTPs at the end of the first episode:

Leonmichelli x Nanami

Cinque x Éclair

That's because I assume working at a municipal office in Japan is one of the most boring jobs in the world.
While I agree its probably boring as all hell, I would consider it a bad example of a 'people at work' anime because that clearly wasn't the focus. But it is an amusing example of 20somethings dealing with relationships though.

jbug617

Banned
Servant x Servant was terrible at showing anything about being a civil service worker in Japan and better at showing the story of a girl with big tits who was socially inept when it comes to relationships getting courted by a guy everyone considers a horndog.

servant-x-service.gif

Fafner: Exodus Episode 2

I think it would definitely be second best OP of the seaon. Great song, and great visuals. I love the thing mecha ops do when they have the characters looking in that characteristic way dramatically while mecha action is going on behind them.

Great Fafner action, I loved when she was on the water, stuck the arm in it to decelerate and turn around to fire at the Shadow Clone Festum.

Needed more Ace Pilot Kazuki though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While I agree its probably boring as all hell, I would consider it a bad example of a 'people at work' anime because that clearly wasn't the focus. But it is an amusing example of 20somethings dealing with relationships though.
I mean, to be fair, no one would make a show like this that wasn't a documentary anyway. And if we're just talking about anime, then it's not like there are a lot of choices.

Fair enough, though in my defense "dull" and "bored" pretty much go hand in hand.
Hah, sure. Ultimately, my problem with the show comes down to "why should I care?" rather than "why aren't they doing anything?".

What a bizarre comparision.

Might as well compare I dont know....Newsroom with Fanboys.
Fanboys is better at least.
(At least I'd assume so)

Acosta

Cowboy Bebop

Well, as an anime noob this was one of my pilgrimages, I have spent all day watching it for first time, just finished.

First of all:
"You're gonna carry that weight"

Fuck you Watanabe.

Anyway, just some highlights, it would be pretty worthless I wrote too much of one of the most well known series and I hardly can add anything of value, just some bullet points.

Enjoyed it quite a bit more than the last pilgrimage I did (Samurai Champloo). From Samurai Champloo I enjoyed a lot the last episodes, but I feel a lot more satisfied in general with Cowboy.

Favourite things: Music (MUSIC!), tons of variety, really well placed. World building is fantastic, style is great, design of cities and ships is really nice too, and it´s surprising how great it looks nowadays.

I was a bit surprised because it´s not exactly what I expected. I had some tidbits I had seen (the scene in the church) and I actually thought that was the ending, and boy, not even close. I also thought it would focus a lot on Spike past and how was his past life, and not, just tidbits. I also had the feeling that they would be a group of kick ass bounty hunters, kinda like a more serious version of Lupin, always looking good even when not achieving their objectives, and far from that (I am tempted to call them losers, but that would be a bit of a exaggeration).

Then, for less favorite things. I'm not a fan of the structure, this is completely personal but I think I like more series with some kind of more present overall act. It´s all very well connected, but most episodes are their own thing. That means there is a huge variety of themes and plots, but that opens the gate to better and worse episodes. For example, the first episode is good, Stray Dog is forgettable, the third one is ok, the fourth one is full of holes, and then, suddenly comes "Ballad of Fallen Angels" and is like a new dimension of quality. The good thing is that the highs come often and are really, really high, and the lows are not that bad. However, there are some completely skippable stuff. Toys in the Attic for example (too charged with homages imo, and I don't feel it suits that much).

Little else, I have enjoyed it a lot. The characters are really good, really solid. The series is tough with them and don't hold punches about it (the last scene between Spike and Feyes is brutal). And is a joy to watch, some scenes are really incredible (that persecution in episode 10, with that music, amazing).

Mr.Jeff

Sketchbook Full Colors episode 1

Does Sora talk at all? I can hear her thinking, but I don't think she says a damned thing during the episode. Also, possible yuri?
She does speak but she's a very introverted person so she tends not to. Characters will sometimes remark when she does talk though.

One of the very first KanaHana roles and paired up with her similar sounding VA Makino Yui.

All righty then.

Knew Izaya's imoutos couldn't simply be fangirls.

It's never that simple.

Simon being in the background and promoting his shop was hysterical.

As well as, Izaya antagonizing Shizuo again.

Hope to see more of those moments between the two in S2.

Will say that one thing I hope next season fixes is the pacing.

I'm all for the lead up that has the different character PoV's that help push the story forward to a satisfactory conclusion.

But not when said lead up just comes off as meaningless time wasted because of the characters inability to do anything.

I'm mostly referring to the whole "Kida" arc here since that one wasn't nearly as well executed as Mikado's.

Anri's was at least short enough for not to drag on too long.

Also, I don't want the main trio to have so much focus next season.

They already received enough spotlight.

Durarara!! character rankings

Shizuo > Kadota > Izaya = Simon > Celty > Walker = Erika > Shinra's Dad > Anri > Namie > Mikado > Police Cop > Kida > Shinra > Haruna > Tom > Izaya imoutos > Togusa > Mika > All the others who barely showed up and weren't memorable enough for me to care > Seiji > Teacher.

They had an episode where they locked the director in a cage because he wouldn't do his storyboards. I mean, in the oeuvre of crazy directors in fiction, Ed Wood is basically the gold standard.

Besides, you can't have it both ways. Otherwise, everything you say has to be qualified by "for an anime."
The director isn't crazy. He's lazy, and a coward, and a terrible person when seen from a distance that remains somewhat lovable because the viewer can, to a degree, empathize with his struggles. Locking him in a cell shows the insanity of the anime process more than his own insanity. The director is at some level competent. He isn't Ed Wood.
I don't have an issue with making references to other mediums. I do have a issue with you making shallow comparisons between works based on the most superficial and arbitrary of similarities. Your impressions posts are little more than a grab bag of crosstextual comparisons which either say nothing about the original film or series or grossly twist it into something it doesn't resemble at all and lead conversation down the rabbit hole, and you do this All. The. Fucking. Time.

Acosta

Skipping Toys in the Attic....

icantcarrythatweight.jpg

Sorry :( I got bored, it´s too charged with scifi movie references and I don't think it suits the series at all.

Really? he put a lobster there and one year later is some cousin of Alien?

Given the reaction from both posters already I guess it´s not a popular opinion to have :(

FluxWaveZ

Sorry :( I got bored, it´s too charged with scifi movie references and I don't think it suits the series at all.

Really? he put a lobster there and one year later is some cousin of Alien?

Given the reaction from both posters already I guess it´s not a popular opinion to have :(

Someone's analysis of that specific episode that might make you appreciate it more:
Take an episode like Toys in the Attic. [Toys in the Attic Spoilers to Follow]

It's sort of a fun, weird episode, but through the episode we learn about each of the characters' life philosophy as well as carrying through one of the major themes of the show. Clean out the fridge. Or phrased another way, let go of the past.

The imagery and the narrative speak for themselves in this episode

Consider that it is Ed, the character who most exists in the present, who 'defeats' the monster.

Consider that the final climactic struggle of the episode is to eject the fridge from The Bebop. A fridge that literally contains elements from the past that have been growing twisted, and festering away in a very real and physical sense.

Look at how the occupants of the bebop were depicted, Faye and Jet becoming weightless as though their burdens were lifted as Spike disabled gravity to push the fridge out of The Bebop, and after it's gone, they float freely.

And the whole time it's riffing off of Alien.

Nothing is thrown away in Cowboy Bebop. There is such a level of care and attention to crafting every scene. And they work together as part of a whole which expresses itself with a unique character.

Kancolle feels a little weird being pretty knowledgeable of the Pacific War.
I own some of the figures but seeing it in anime form.. I don't know.

I am enjoying the anime though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Dog Days' - 03

Alright I admit
I did not expect Rebecca to be a top tier hero, and I certainly didn't expect her to beat both Cinque and Nanami. Wow!

She can't beat my Leon though. :3

Geneijin

The director isn't crazy. He's lazy, and a coward, and a terrible person when seen from a distance that remains somewhat lovable because the viewer can, to a degree, empathize with his struggles. Locking him in a cell shows the insanity of the anime process more than his own insanity. The director is at some level competent. He isn't Ed Wood.
I don't have an issue with making references to other mediums. I do have a issue with you making shallow comparisons between works based on the most superficial and arbitrary of similarities. Your impressions posts are little more than a grab bag of crosstextual comparisons which either say nothing about the original film or series or grossly twist it into something it doesn't resemble at all and lead conversation down the rabbit hole, and you do this All. The. Fucking. Time.
Give me an example.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I'm pretty sure I've made my feelings clear on Shirobako though, but if you think that I shouldn't make comparisons, then let me make it clear:

Shirobako is a show with uninteresting characters and a threadbare plot that is only accessible by pandering to the very people who would watch the show in the first place.

I hope that's precise enough for you.

Durarara!! character rankings

Shizuo > Kadota > Izaya = Simon > Celty > Walker = Erika > Shinra's Dad > Anri > Namie > Mikado > Police Cop > Kida > Shinra > Haruna > Tom > Izaya imoutos > Togusa > Mika > All the others who barely showed up and weren't memorable enough for me to care > Seiji > Teacher.

Awful awful awful, It should be Kida = Izaya >>>>>Shizuo >> Mikado > Celty >>>>> everyone else.

My issue with the "double standard" is more an assumption that this is a show about the very medium that people here are a fan of, which would lead people to be more inclined to like it than if the show was about, say, what it's like to work in a Japanese hospital and Miyamori was a doctor fresh out of medical school doing her first residency.

I don't think I've been bored, but I also have been uninterested. I don't necessarily think they are synonymous anyway.

Well, this is a false equivalency for a few reasons.

For one, there is a large amount of shows depicting what it's like to work in a hospital. It's probably one of the most common settings for dramas. So saying 'would people like this show with a comparatively unique setup if it had the most common story setup ever instead?' doesn't really mean much.

More importantly, unless the show was being written entirely by Japanese doctors, it wouldn't carry the same level of realness that is one of Shirobako's hallmarks. Part of the reason why the show has the sense of reality which it has, is because it's a show about the anime production process being made by veterans of the anime industry. It's a work being put together by experts in the field, essentially.

So rather than saying that people only like it because it's about anime, I think it would be more true to say that it can only exist because it's about anime. This isn't just a show about exploring the realities of a field, but about allowing the staff to all bring their own expertise into the work. Shirobako wouldn't be Shirobako on any level without that.

I would also say that claiming that people are just inclined to like it because it's about the medium they're a fan of is a pretty flawed premise. There are tons of otaku navel gazing shows every year that this thread ignores or mocks. Shirobako, plainly, isn't one of those. It's celebrated because in a sea of such shows, it's trying to give an honest look at what it's like to work in the industry, one which combines the stress and pitfalls of the production process with the hopes and aspirations of the people working on the show, and tries to show how people could even get into working in such a stressful field. The show gives a pretty good demonstration of what the production process is like, which appeals to a lot of people because that sort of behind the scenes stuff is interesting. No, it's not going to be the same as an in depth documentary on the subject, but that's because it isn't trying to be that. It's aiming to be an entertaining drama which also happens to be informative about how anime is made, and to craft a story around the production process.

The "secret" to why people like Shirobako doesn't have anything to do with some tinfoil hat conspiracy, or because people are just looking for validation or whatever. It comes down to the fact that it's a well written, well produced show with a lot of energy, a lot of passion, and a clear purpose. The show is extremely well directed, with a lot of great scene transitions, excellent pacing, a very strong sense of energy (which both the direction and music work towards). This is how the show is able to turn the scrambling of the first episode for the key animation into an extremely dramatic moment, or how the second episode functions with all of the stress, panicking, and finally everyone coming together. In a lesser show (or really, most shows (and yes this goes for all of those American network dramas, too)), these scenes wouldn't carry the same weight, because there wouldn't be such a focus on making sure the energy was felt. Where Shirobako really shines is in the show's 100% commitment to making sure that the viewer gets wrapped up in the story and the process of making anime; it makes sure that we feel Aoi's stress as things fall apart around her, and understand why the production is facing such troubles. The show manages to make the comparatively mundane process of creating anime feel far more stressful and meaningful than the life or death struggles that many other shows feature. This is all down to how well the production team is working on the show. The writing is snappy and conveys the import of each scene, and the direction works hard to make sure we really feel how hectic it is. Honestly, leaving aside medium or country of origin, the only shows I can think of over the last couple of years or so that have done as good or better at getting me invested and nervous about the events transpiring are Flowers of Evil and Hannibal.

If you find it uninteresting, that's your prerogative. But the reasons why other people are enjoying it are down to a lot more than the subject matter. In fact, I would say it's because the show is able to take a subject that a lot of people wouldn't feel makes an interesting show and twist it into something really compelling. And wrapped up around that is the story of a bunch of interesting characters in their own right.

If you didn't like the first two episodes, you probably wouldn't like the rest of the show. Not because that's the 'good part' (all of the show is good), but because the show puts a strong put forward and puts its hooks in the viewer right away. For someone who doesn't get nervous about the staff completing an episode on time, or legitimately excited and pumped up when Kinoshita and Yamada start bonding on how the characters should be and the whole staff comes together, the show is simply never going to appeal to them. And that's fine, but it makes me feel sad. Not because they aren't entitled to their opinion, but because Shirobako makes me feel such joy with every episode, and I wish that everyone could feel that same sense of joy and wonder each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom