• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Should I be watching this? Like I saw most of it waaaay back but don't really remember shit besides Celty.

If you're thinking about watching this for purity, you probably should move along.

That scene is something that happens in the very last episode. Durarara is a pretty decent anime though. Probably worth watching if you're into urban fantasy/action with a huge cast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But if you're not interested in shop-talk, then Shirobako would be a very boring anime for you. This is what he means by "naval gazing", not that Shirobako fans are literally gazing at navals, but that their enjoyment of Shirobako stems from its focus on something they care about, whether it's specifically the production of anime, or production woes in general. If you can't connect on these levels, then Shirobako doesn't have much else to offer. That was the cost of its sacrifice.
Yeah, this is how I see Shirobako. It reminds me of watching the 2 hours of behind the scenes footage on the Gravity BD, which I found interesting because I wanted to see how they made the movie and not because I cared about Cuaron as a "character".

Free isn't even trying to be a sports show though!
That's why firehawk likes it, because it's not following the template at all. It's "about swimming" as much as K-ON is "about light music".
Ding ding ding!

Ah, I'll chime in on this, because I very much disagree. It's true that losing your job in this economy, in the natural course of events, will cause trouble for you. But this is not nearly enough to get me to care about a character. Otherwise, i would have to care about every character that has a job that isn't going great.

And this is simply not true, or reasonable.

It's the storyteller's job to give us enough reasons to care about a character. Ema's scene where she reflects on her place in the studio, was a poor attempt at this, because Ema is barely fleshed out as person. It's the writers going "yeah she won't be able to pay the bills if she loses her job, that's all", and this is just very shallow writing.

Contrast something like this to Ben-to or Hataraku Maou, both of which are lighthearted comedies about people struggling to survive. The feeling is totally different, because not only do we get to see them fighting for their right to eat, we get to see them at their low points when they're cutting corners in their dinner or literally starving, and their joy when they score a good day's meal. All this is interwoven in other scenes of character development and interaction that endear them to us. Compared to these, Ema's "problems" seem throwaway.

Now, on balance, Shirobako isn't Ben-to or Hataraku Maou. Ema is, despite being one of the first characters we see, and despite how much screen time she gets, a very minor character. It's unfair to demand the same level of character development from her as other character-driven shows because that's not the kind of show Shirobako is, but this is precisely firehawk12's point. Shirobako is very weak in this area because it devotes all its time and energy towards talking and explaining production stuff. It's trading off typical character arcs for more shop-talk.

But if you're not interested in shop-talk, then Shirobako would be a very boring anime for you. This is what he means by "naval gazing", not that Shirobako fans are literally gazing at navals, but that their enjoyment of Shirobako stems from its focus on something they care about, whether it's specifically the production of anime, or production woes in general. If you can't connect on these levels, then Shirobako doesn't have much else to offer. That was the cost of its sacrifice.

Well, I agree to a certain extent. You can't just be expected to care about every character who ever has a job. But at the same time, Shirobako has a pretty large cast, and they simply don't have the time to spend so much time focusing on that. They put some stuff in, such as showing Endou and his wife which makes the point about what their financial situation would be like if he stopped having animation jobs, or showing how Aoi was saving cheap food for a special occasion.

However, you're right that it's simply not what the show is interested in as its main subject. A Shirobako that was focused around everyone's home lives and their financial situation would be a very different show, but it would lose a lot of what makes the show unique.

Where I disagree, is that I don't think the only interest to viewers is what the actual subject matter is. I think the basic idea would still be interesting even if it was about making a stage musical or something like that. It just would lose the degree of authenticity it has. I don't think it really comes from navel gazing, because I think most people would still be interested in a similar story focused around a different industry, provided it had the same authenticity to it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where I disagree, is that I don't think the only interest to viewers is what the actual subject matter is. I think the basic idea would still be interesting even if it was about making a stage musical or something like that. It just would lose the degree of authenticity it has. I don't think it really comes from navel gazing, because I think most people would still be interested in a similar story focused around a different industry, provided it had the same authenticity to it.

Well, see, I don't know about that.

I watched The Wind Rises recently. I liked it a lot. But I would've liked a lot more if Jiro was building giant robots or computers instead. I don't care about airplanes. I appreciated the portrayal of... the artisan spirit from an intellectual point of view, as someone who likes to dream and create, but there was no real personal connection there. There wasn't an emotional link.

I'm not saying Shirobako's sole point of interest is in anime production. Like I said, people working in modern product development will see a little Shirobako in their own lives, and they can connect on this level as well. But I'll assert that it is the main hook, and a viewer's chances of really enjoying Shirobako like many of us have drastically decreases the further their interests lie from anime production.

cajunator

Banned
Shirobako 14

Watching this meeting in deciding the VA just made me think they creators of this show had to have run into people like this before in the past. Like their mannerism and traits were just so extreme and completely unlikable in any way. I'll call it, hate animating.

Its possible. Im sure the studio has seen lots of things in-house and has plenty of in jokes and anecdotes it could incorporate (or has).
If there was ever a show about trucking I could definitely tell some stories...

It's been a few weeks, but IIRC the conflict came out of the director's apprehension over the girl's "moe face" during a moment of anguish, which then became a conversation about the various types of moe that the staff saw in each of the girl - which Miyamori was able to evoke though her speech. It became a discussion about the type of moe that they wanted to produce and it didn't really seem deeper than that to me.

But of course, as an outsider, I would ask why 20-somethings are being depicted as moe lolis in the first place. However, Exodus as a show probably isn't something I'd watch anyway I suppose.

That was one part of the conflict, but it wasn't the only part of the conflict. A lot of it came down not necessarily to 'moe' (even though it was certainly mentioned), but to the characters themselves, as well as the themes and tone of the show. For example, the main problem that the director had to begin with was that it was showing a character looking too cute during a moment of genuine anguish, and he felt like that messed with the tone of the scene. This then lead to a discussion on the character appearances in general, as well as their general personalities.

It feels like a scene I could easily see happening in a writers' room, complete with the director suddenly talking about some complex backstory he had invented for the character but never brought up before.

The scene is about exploring the passion that got the characters into working on an anime in the first place, and showing how such a small thing can dramatically change the tone of a scene.

If you trawl through the threads, you'll find that duckroll got me and a some other people to watch a documentary about the making of Black Rock Shooter, where they explained how they used CG animation as part of their process. It's a discussion that fans have had for years, and I'm sure that people in the industry have had as well. I'm not saying that discussion isn't of interest, but that for me, Shirobako's depiction of that conflict was not as interesting as watching that short piece on how BRS was made.

Well, it's not really trying to be the same thing as a documentary on the process is. More than trying to document the process or add to the debate, Shirobako was just interested in using it to explore the characters' motivations and the production process.

A show like Shirobako is never going to be able to compare in that regard to a documentary, but it's not trying to. It's just looking to be somewhat informative about the process while also entertaining the viewer and trying to create interesting scenarios.

But what it can do that a documentary can't is to present the whole thing in a more dramatic light (such as having an animation struggle that nearly leads to an episode not being completed on time), use it to explore the motivations of the characters and their relationships, and wrap it up in a carefully crafted story.

Their motivations are linked strictly to their jobs though. I mean, even when the five girls meet to drink beer, they're talking about their anime related careers.

Well, this is because they sought out their jobs because of their motivations, right? I mean, a lot of people have motivations which deal with similar ideas, such as wanting to be a writer, or an artist, or a musician, which can wind up being their job. Not that that's anyone's sole motivation for everything they do in life, but it is a prime motivation.

The show could do more to give each person more motivations beyond their biggest dream, but to some extent they only have but so much time to work with. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, but I feel like it isn't completely necessary to the story they're telling.

I watched The Wind Rises recently. I liked it a lot. But I would've liked a lot more if Jiro was building giant robots or computers instead. I don't care about airplanes. I appreciated the portrayal of... the artisan spirit from an intellectual point of view, as someone who likes to dream and create, but there was no real personal connection there. There wasn't an emotional link.

I'm not saying Shirobako's sole point of interest is in anime production. Like I said, people working in modern product development will see a little Shirobako in their own lives, and they can connect on this level as well. But I'll assert that it is the main hook, and a viewer's chances of really enjoying Shirobako like many of us have drastically decreases the further their interests lie from anime production.

Well, yeah, I think there's some truth to that. And I think people are more likely to be interested in Shirobako if they're more interested in anime production, but I think it's not necessarily the main factor. I think the biggest thing that comes from it is just the sense of how authentic the whole thing feels. It could only ever be done about anime, so I think perhaps this a moot point either way. (There's also a bit of the fact that the further someone's interests are from anime, the less likely they are to find an anime interesting no matter the subject matter, which becomes something of a chicken and egg paradox)

Shergal

But Wind Rises is really about Miyazaki as an animator!

Shirobako, on the other hand, is really about its face value. I mostly agree with firehawk, and I stopped watching the show around episode 5. Not for any particular reason (I stopped watching all the airing anime I was following), the show just didn't really stand out in any way and I grew disinterested with it. I would like to come back to it at some point, if only for the "navel-gazing" type nerd details, but otherwise there wasn't that much to Shirobako as a show. It also felt a little too sedate for Mizushima, lacking that peculiar eccentricity which is the selling point of most of his other shows.

Shengar

I'm sorry, what was that?
C'mon man, she isn't even the main character and only appeared for a couple of bloody minute.
I'm still fixated on this "waifu" thing, because it's making zero sense in the context of Shirobako. Is the only example you have really the goth girl, whose scenes have only lent to depict her as an eccentric, but professionally oriented artist? I don't get what would be "selling waifus" to you other than "this show has a lot of female main characters with different personalities but similar looks."
Fix'd
My only complain with the anime and there is no excuse as some female character have distinct look.
Not because they aren't entitled to their opinion, but because Shirobako makes me feel such joy with every episode, and I wish that everyone could feel that same sense of joy and wonder each week.
Thank you for writing and posting it. Pretty much thought on this show, only with added bonus of normal, girl-to-girl relationship.

I agree with this. The main reason why Shirobako is very entertaining for me mostly because I've fascination on how creative work from certain mediums be made into shape. With the direction of the show being made as grounded as possible (which is part of the charm for me) with no attempt to over-dramatize thing (think like, the difference between Heoro Pen or any Shimamoto Kazuhiko manga work and Bakuman), I can understand that the show might be unappealing and boring for some people.

ibyea

Banned
I personally got something out of Shirobako that is unrelated to anime production. It was that I could personally relate to what a few of the young adults in the show were going through.

Veitsev

I personally got something out of Shirobako that is unrelated to anime production. It was that I could personally relate to what a few of the young adults in the show were going through.

Naw man its only about the production process and waifus.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That was one part of the conflict, but it wasn't the only part of the conflict. A lot of it came down not necessarily to 'moe' (even though it was certainly mentioned), but to the characters themselves, as well as the themes and tone of the show. For example, the main problem that the director had to begin with was that it was showing a character looking too cute during a moment of genuine anguish, and he felt like that messed with the tone of the scene. This then lead to a discussion on the character appearances in general, as well as their general personalities.

It feels like a scene I could easily see happening in a writers' room, complete with the director suddenly talking about some complex backstory he had invented for the character but never brought up before.
I'm resisting the urge to bring up anything non-anime, because that's apparently against the rules now. lol
(Well, that and there's someone on GAF who is in a writer's room right now for a show that's airing soon)
The scene is about exploring the passion that got the characters into working on an anime in the first place, and showing how such a small thing can dramatically change the tone of a scene.
I agree that it was focused on that aspect of the production - and I wished that they didn't actually show the "fixed" animation cut because it would have just been more powerful if left to the viewer's imagination - but in terms of the scene itself, I couldn't help seeing two grown men have mental orgasms thinking about their idealized moe characters. Like, what am I supposed to take away from that if not "oh nerds will be nerds"?

Well, it's not really trying to be the same thing as a documentary on the process is. More than trying to document the process or add to the debate, Shirobako was just interested in using it to explore the characters' motivations and the production process.

A show like Shirobako is never going to be able to compare in that regard to a documentary, but it's not trying to. It's just looking to be somewhat informative about the process while also entertaining the viewer and trying to create interesting scenarios.

But what it can do that a documentary can't is to present the whole thing in a more dramatic light (such as having an animation struggle that nearly leads to an episode not being completed on time), use it to explore the motivations of the characters and their relationships, and wrap it up in a carefully crafted story.
I agree with that as well. But here it's seemingly used only to raise a debate that is easily hand-waved with platitudes about growing up loving the same thing and wanting to achieve the same goals. Again, I'm struggling not to mention how I've seen this depicted in other texts in a manner that is much more dramatically satisfying because I'm only going to stick to anime in this thread. I'll say that I appreciate that the resolution is that they ended up wanting to work in anime because they grew up watching Shirobako's version of Gundam. But I'd rather have seen that played out more throughout the text than having that blonde production assistant play broken telephone for 5 minutes.

Well, this is because they sought out their jobs because of their motivations, right? I mean, a lot of people have motivations which deal with similar ideas, such as wanting to be a writer, or an artist, or a musician, which can wind up being their job. Not that that's anyone's sole motivation for everything they do in life, but it is a prime motivation.

The show could do more to give each person more motivations beyond their biggest dream, but to some extent they only have but so much time to work with. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, but I feel like it isn't completely necessary to the story they're telling.
Not that I'm saying Shirobako has to be a romcom, but I would imagine being a single woman living in Tokyo is as exciting as being a single woman living in NYC. Surely there are some interesting aspects of Miyamori's life that one could explore that exist outside of her job and where she sees herself in the anime industry. Just something to show that she's more than just a job title would be interesting to flesh out her character.

Parasyte 14
I find it interesting that the Parsites are becoming more humane with prolonged exposure to humanity as Shinichi is losing his humanity. Otherwise, the progressively weak episodes continue

Saekano 1
Not as meta as the first episode so feels better. Not sure why they did that 0 episode first as it seems pretty down the line. The blond girl is enjoyable for her expressions. Twintail whipping is funny as well. Meh otherwise

Branduil

Not that I'm saying Shirobako has to be a romcom, but I would imagine being a single woman living in Tokyo is as exciting as being a single woman living in NYC. Surely there are some interesting aspects of Miyamori's life that one could explore that exist outside of her job and where she sees herself in the anime industry. Just something to show that she's more than just a job title would be interesting to flesh out her character.

The problem is that you're assuming that Miyamori can have a life outside of anime, LOL.

Haly

I think that element of the show exists, certainly, but it's very weak. Silver Spoon did this angle much better, for example, mostly because it was so character driven.

I suggest checking it out if you liked this aspect of Shirobako.

Shengar

I used to hate the word relate because barely any show give me someone to relate to but now Shirobako gave me one, two in fact! Thanks Kinoshita and Honda for that.

Mecha

I saw this and thought you guys might want to see it:

1kuwaX7.png

I think that element of the show exists, certainly, but it's very weak. Silver Spoon did this angle much better, for example, mostly because it was so character driven.

I suggest checking it out if you liked this aspect of Shirobako.
Silver Spoon is a bit different because the characters are still in high school. They don't have to actually be part of the workforce.
I'd also disagree on Silver Spoon dealing with these issues better but opinions will vary.

John Blade

battle_angel-1040x440.jpg

Just finish watching Battle Angel Alita OVA. Make me wish to go read the manga which I read when I was in High school. Don't want to post a detail impression but the best way to sum the OVA.

The OVA is kinda gateway to the manga as it try it best to portray the manga (1st 2 volume ) from just 2 episodes. If you're a fans of the manga, they're quite a bit of issue with the OVA from character development all the way to pacing. For people who never read the manga and watch this for the 1st time, they will think the show is maybe decent pace as it try to keep the story line from the manga together while try to explain the story as quickly as they can while keep the audience attention from the development of the main characters and the love interest.

For me, the OVA can been seen as a standalone, not trying to squeeze everything from the manga but more like retelling an alternative of the story which is fine from that point of view.

I would recommend people who is interested in the idea, to go read the manga 1st if they can (the main manga and not the spin off). This will give you a better understanding of the story and character development. Also, not to judge the OVA harshly but to see how and why it was alter a bit in the OVA. A fun show and wish to go back reading the manga. Kinda sad at the end though.....

Now, time for a comedy anime to make me feel happy......Excel Saga is my next anime to watch.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu Episode 1

HcbbGq9.jpg

My goodness, It's like Kampfer but with far less fan service. Main character is super cute as a girl though. Seems like a fun watch. Lots of more gender bender stuff seems to be out there now. Looking forward to the next one.

I agree that it was focused on that aspect of the production - and I wished that they didn't actually show the "fixed" animation cut because it would have just been more powerful if left to the viewer's imagination - but in terms of the scene itself, I couldn't help seeing two grown men have mental orgasms thinking about their idealized moe characters. Like, what am I supposed to take away from that if not "oh nerds will be nerds"?

I think you're supposed to take away that it's kind of an over the top representation of the concept. It's meant to be a little silly, but it's also adding some levity to the situation. I think the discussion about 'moe' is really just one small part of that scene, and the real heart of it just deals more with the basic idea of debating how to bring the vision of the show to life, as well as showing the passion of everyone involved.

I agree with that as well. But here it's seemingly used only to raise a debate that is easily hand-waved with platitudes about growing up loving the same thing and wanting to achieve the same goals. Again, I'm struggling not to mention how I've seen this depicted in other texts in a manner that is much more dramatically satisfying because I'm only going to stick to anime in this thread. I'll say that I appreciate that the resolution is that they ended up wanting to work in anime because they grew up watching Shirobako's version of Gundam. But I'd rather have seen that played out more throughout the text than having that blonde production assistant play broken telephone for 5 minutes.

It was Shirobako's version of Ideon, actually, not Gundam. They just threw a p in the title.

I don't disagree that there could have been ways to handle it from a different perspective and not be so much about growing up watching the same shows. At the same time, I think the themes of Shirobako are pretty strongly reflected in those moments. The show is in large part about how even though anime production can be hell, the people working on the shows all genuinely love anime and get by on that passion. It also reflects on how everyone's inspired by the past in many ways, both the negative ways which lead them astray (such as the worries of creating another Jiggly Jiggly Heaven) as well as how people's treasured memories of anime they watched lead them to be inspired and find the way through their struggles. The way that the characters can draw on positive inspiration from the past also ties in pretty heavily with how the first half of the show is resolved.

So having the clash resolved because the two characters grew up loving the same anime isn't necessarily the single most dramatically satisfying way the scene could have resolved, but I think it's kind of essential to the thematic arc of Shirobako. The idea that you can either be haunted by the past and lead astray or use the past as a way to draw on inspiration and common goals.

Well, she's basically working 24/7. I think the show has kind of demonstrated that (and also shown how her constant work is messing with her psyche, given that she's constantly hallucinating about her stuffed animals coming to life). There's not a whole lot of time for her to exploring her love life. I think some of the scenes with her sister and Midori did explore some more of 'life outside of work' (can't remember the exact episodes those were in, I think 8 or 9?).

Space Dandy 13

This episode starts with the Aloha Oe's autonomous crew finding a hard time with love. QT makes a quip about how inefficient human's operate before the spark that starts the main story arc of the episode. QT begins to visit a coffee shop every day to see a robotic coffee maker. Every visit to the coffee shop after the initial introduction of CM (Coffee Maker) she starts to malfunction. It is said later in the episode that robots who start to develop emotions are prone to malfunction, hindering their ability to function and this failure of CM's could be attributed to the feels she develops for QT.

The one day QT does not visit the coffee shop, CM malfunctions more than usual to the point where it becomes a hazard to customers. Again, this shows that the two robots which should not be able to develop any type of emotion have formed a bond incomprehensible to the machine mind. This inefficiency is inexcusable for the paying customer who only want their coffee. We only demand efficiency from our machines that have been built to perform their designated task. The relationship between barista and customer is very mechanical and impersonal when you think about it. The machine is meant to remove this relationship and eliminate the human factor but when machines start to act as humans, they being to make mistakes like humans.

After CM's employment has been terminated and she is shifted to "Dream Island". QT abandons his companions and his main operating task (as a vacuum) to find CM. Dream Island sounds like it's a place of unicorns and rainbows but in actuality is a disposal facility to remove the defective machines from society. The name of the island could be associated to the emotions these robots now feel (is emotion part of dreaming?) and an allusion to the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Here QT finds the robots left for scrap are about to start a revolution. The goal of the revolution? To establish that robots can have feelings too and are not some piece of junk to be thrown away the second it becomes unreliable in its task. However, they go about this the wrong way. Instead of seeking to be treated as equals they wish to destroy their creators, a typical servant turns on master story. However, these emotions the robots have developed are more than just resentment to their former master. QT and CM have developed the capacity to care. Not just for each other but for the humans/aliens masters. They have the reasoning to desire a mutual friendship with the masters and do not seek revenge. This does an excellent job of subverting the machine vs master trope and create a character with a mechanic exterior but an organic interior.

Overall another fantastic episode of Dandy. The contrast between the organics failure at love while a machine can find success was entertaining. The character development of QT was well done. Typically robots in fiction have some single quirk that makes them amusing and endearing but QT is fleshed out (pun not intended) as an almost human character. The soundtrack has the sounds similar to Daft Punk's style which really works with the robotic nature of the episode.

Bravo Dandy, hopefully S2 maintains the quality found in the better episodes of S1.

ibyea

Banned
Silver Spoon is a bit different because the characters are still in high school. They don't have to actually be part of the workforce.
I'd also disagree on Silver Spoon dealing with these issues better but opinions will vary.

Yeah, the focus on young people trying to enter the workforce was a big part of the relatedness of it.

Haly

Ah, I was thinking of the manga when I wrote that. I guess the anime isn't up to the relevant parts yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you're supposed to take away that it's kind of an over the top representation of the concept. It's meant to be a little silly, but it's also adding some levity to the situation. I think the discussion about 'moe' is really just one small part of that scene, and the real heart of it just deals more with the basic idea of debating how to bring the vision of the show to life, as well as showing the passion of everyone involved.
I will just say it's hard not to see that as what it presents itself, if they intended it to be anything more than that. But again, while I don't think moe is killing anime, I also assume it takes a very particular person to want to draw loli moe.

It was Shirobako's version of Ideon, actually, not Gundam. They just threw a p in the title.
Admittedly, I don't know anything about old anime. lol

I don't disagree that there could have been ways to handle it from a different perspective and not be so much about growing up watching the same shows. At the same time, I think the themes of Shirobako are pretty strongly reflected in those moments. The show is in large part about how even though anime production can be hell, the people working on the shows all genuinely love anime and get by on that passion. It also reflects on how everyone's inspired by the past in many ways, both the negative ways which lead them astray (such as the worries of creating another Jiggly Jiggly Heaven) as well as how people's treasured memories of anime they watched lead them to be inspired and find the way through their struggles. The way that the characters can draw on positive inspiration from the past also ties in pretty heavily with how the first half of the show is resolved.

So having the clash resolved because the two characters grew up loving the same anime isn't necessarily the single most dramatically satisfying way the scene could have resolved, but I think it's kind of essential to the thematic arc of Shirobako. The idea that you can either be haunted by the past and lead astray or use the past as a way to draw on inspiration and common goals.
Part of the problem there is a question of why I should care if Exodus as a show succeeds or not. As someone who wouldn't want to watch Exodus if it was an actual show, I don't see why these people believe in it (other than the brief celebration of moe in the meeting) and why it would be bad if Exodus failed when - to their own admission - there are dozens of other moe shows that are being made.

So even if I could engage with these characters strictly through the philosophical debates they have when they work, I already think what they're making is already terribly suspect.

I could buy into that idea of looking forward through the voice actress' struggles as she becomes inspired to become a real actor. But this show isn't really about her unfortunately.

Well, she's basically working 24/7. I think the show has kind of demonstrated that (and also shown how her constant work is messing with her psyche, given that she's constantly hallucinating about her stuffed animals coming to life). There's not a whole lot of time for her to exploring her love life. I think some of the scenes with her sister and Midori did explore some more of 'life outside of work' (can't remember the exact episodes those were in, I think 8 or 9?).
I'm just saying it could be anything. Heck, seeing her watch other anime to find out what she likes in anime would be more than the show has really given me up until episode 6. Heck, even the guys who bonded over Ideon - did they grow up thinking that they'd draw loli girls for a living, or did they want to draw giant robots punching each other?

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - 4

Another good episode. I liked how they
outsmarted the enemy who was listening in on their communications by essentially playing opposites day with each other.

Though Mr. Gates is kind of starting to get on my nerves now.

I browsed through the Shirobako discussion, and all I'll say is that it's too bad firehawk won't watch Shounen Hollywood, because from reading his comments I think he's the type of person who would really appreciate that show.

Midonin

I would watch Exodus!
I would watch it and it would probably be my favorite show of the season. From the glimpses we've seen of it, nothing about it suggests it's a "generic" show - there's some twists on the idol anime formula going on there. It strikes me as a cross between Rolling Girls and AKB0048.

Though going by the VA sheets in the most recent episode, their universe is like 98% similar to ours, the shows are just slightly askew.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I wouldn't watch Exodus, but I don't think the characters' desire to see even a show like Exodus succeed is unbelievable; even if it's not going to set the world on fire, why wouldn't you take pride in all the sweat and tears you put into making something reality? Why do you count the fact that their goal is meaningful only to them against the show? I have no desire to win a sports competition, climb mount Fuji, build instruments, etc, etc, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying shows with characters who do want to do those. To be honest "The character's goal isn't my goal!" is such a terrible argument I'm surprised firehawk made it at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I browsed through the Shirobako discussion, and all I'll say is that it's too bad firehawk won't watch Shounen Hollywood, because from reading his comments I think he's the type of person who would really appreciate that show.
It's not that I won't watch it, it's more that I already sat through UtaPri and I was all male idol'ed out.

Part of the problem there is a question of why I should care if Exodus as a show succeeds or not. As someone who wouldn't want to watch Exodus if it was an actual show, I don't see why these people believe in it (other than the brief celebration of moe in the meeting) and why it would be bad if Exodus failed when - to their own admission - there are dozens of other moe shows that are being made.

What we've seen of Exodus suggests a show that, while playing in sort of the moe wheelhouse, isn't really a generic show. I think everyone involved is trying to make a show which can succeed, and also is enjoyable to watch. Especially given how Exodus ends, I think it's clearly a show with some sort of artistic merit, even if some of the concepts are kind of suspect.

It honestly doesn't really seem like any other show on the market, so I can really believe that everyone is kind of invested in it. There's also the fact that the show is supposed to be the comeback for the studio who haven't really gotten any work in a while.

I'm just saying it could be anything. Heck, seeing her watch other anime to find out what she likes in anime would be more than the show has really given me up until episode 6. Heck, even the guys who bonded over Ideon - did they grow up thinking that they'd draw loli girls for a living, or did they want to draw giant robots punching each other?

Well, we do know what she likes in anime, to an extent. She loved watching Andes Chucky as a kid, and was inspired to get into anime because of it (this is said in Episode 6, IIRC). Judging by what we see of that, it seems like cute animal kids shows are something she's into (and her love of the show and how it made her want to enter the industry actually plays an important thematic role later on).

As far as the guys, they weren't drawing loli girls, though. Even if the show has moe elements, the big dispute over whether a scene would be hand drawn or CG was for an explosion scene. Exodus actually seems to have a lot of mechanical bits and explosions which would appeal to those guys.

Plus, remember that one of the points of the scene was that despite Ide(p)on having a lot of mecha battles, it was really a show about the characters and the human condition and psychology, rather than just being about 'robots punching each other'.

Rainy

Banned
Ping Pong the Animation 1-11

Marathoned it all today. I got way too emotional over the last few episodes. An amazing series: art style, music, characters, the whole thing!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When the "real" Exodus actually comes out, we'll see for ourselves. Of course, then you have issues about how well the real production stuff lines up with the production stuff in Shirobako, but I personally don't see being any more exciting than the moe action shows that are airing right now.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu Episode 1

HcbbGq9.jpg

My goodness, It's like Kampfer but with far less fan service. Main character is super cute as a girl though. Seems like a fun watch. Lots of more gender bender stuff seems to be out there now. Looking forward to the next one.

Let the Twintails wash over you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom