• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Saekano 01

I like the how the artstyle shifts from typical LN adaptation fare to stuff that looked pretty superflat-ish, but other than that its still typical LN adaptation fare.

Link Man

Banned
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 7

Holy crap, Fate is either desperate or crazy. Maybe both.

These scene transitions are really odd. Did the show have budget problems in the first series?

Suddenly spaceships.

And a new character.

And we meet Fate's mother. Charming lady.

No really, this is getting incredibly sick and twisted.
Think "Your Lie in April".

Another giant tree?

So yeah, this show is becoming super-anime at this point.

Yuki Yuna end

So the moral of the story is basically
let someone else handle it
? I mean, the focus kind of changed from
saving the world to regaining health. Nothing is resolved. Young girls are still forced to fight monsters, their bodies will continue to deteriorate, the outside world is just as unlivable as before; the cycle hasn't ended at all.

So yeah, I don't know if I'd call it a waste of time, but...

PK Gaming

Yuki Yuna end

So the moral of the story is basically
let someone else handle it
? I mean, the focus kind of changed from
saving the world to regaining health. Nothing is resolved. Young girls are still forced to fight monsters, their bodies will continue to deteriorate, the outside world is just as unlivable as before; the cycle hasn't ended at all.

So yeah, I don't know if I'd call it a waste of time, but...

The situation has changed though. Yuna's team basically annihilated most of the Vertex army (including the sun Vertex, which housed millions of them), hence why the attacks have almost stopped " indefinitely." I say almost, because it's clear that they'll be back, but Yuna's team managed to severely cripple their army.

To put things into perspective, Sonoko's team couldn't even destroy a single Vertex (they could only push them back). Yuna's team managed to do in a few months what no other team could do in years. Also, their actions directly led to the Shinju returning their offerings, which was basically unprecedented. It'll probably take a few years before they start attacking again, and I'm willing to bet that this means that the Shinju will operate differently going forward (ie: No more permanent sacrifices). In any case, something is definitely up with Yuna (her fairy never disappeared, the shinju petals didn't fall on her, the last scene at the end). Hopefully the sequel manga will clear things up.

faridmon

Saekano 01

I like the how the artstyle shifts from typical LN adaptation fare to stuff that looked pretty superflat-ish, but other than that its still typical LN adaptation fare.

Holy shit. Just read the plot introduction. Can it get more cliche and uninteresting that that?

Mature

Err, am I missing something here? Aren't they all relatively new voice actresses?
I think that's what the image is illustrating. Perhaps there was contention from the production committee about having a newer voice cast.

Speaking of Shirobako mirroring reality, is there an updated graphic of characters that mirror real life counterparts?

The situation has changed though. Yuna's team basically annihilated most of the Vertex army (including the sun Vertex, which housed millions of them), hence why the attacks have almost stopped " indefinitely." I say almost, because it's clear that they'll be back, but Yuna's team managed to severely cripple their army.

To put things into perspective, Sonoko's team couldn't even destroy a single Vertex (they could only push them back). Yuna's team managed to do in a few months what no other team could do in years. Also, their actions directly led to the Shinju returning their offerings, which was basically unprecedented. It'll probably take a few years before they start attacking again, and I'm willing to bet that this means that the Shinju will operate differently going forward (ie: No more permanent sacrifices). In any case, something is definitely up with Yuna (her fairy never disappeared, the shinju petals didn't fall on her, the last scene at the end). Hopefully the sequel manga will clear things up.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense then. Some of that I didn't get like the
sun vertex taking up a a massive chunk of the entire army and not just a portion of it.

Sounds like a setup to a final battle more than anything else.

PK Gaming

I think that's what the image is illustrating. Perhaps there was contention from the production committee about having a newer voice cast.

Speaking of Shirobako mirroring reality, is there an updated graphic of characters that mirror real life counterparts?

Oh, I see. I thought that person was taking the piss out of Shirobako for being "hypocritical." A TAKE THAT, basically.

EDIT: Or maybe they are trying to call out Shirobako given this tweet.

Saekano 00

I just realized I watched the second episode first. Well they're a lot more meta when it comes to telling their story, but it kind of falls flat when they still go through the motions of playing out those tropes they are highlighting. It's basically"hey you know that thing that everyone's doing, let's do that right now". Still like the artshifts tho!

Quasar

Throne of Atlantis - pretty much as I remember the comic from all those years ago when I read comics other than Astro City. Still not used to this voice cast, aside from Fillion as Hal.

Really don't see how Court of Owls is going to be turned into a 70 minute anime.

/XX/

Very nice to see DeAgostini exporting their usual methods to Japan as well; cheap collections are their speciality, and with the spectacular Crayon Shin-chan: The Adult Empire Strikes Back in a first issue at that price who can resists? Only ¥799 including the special magazine:

デアゴスティーニ、映画クレヨンしんちゃんDVD創刊。「オトナ帝国の逆襲」が799円 - AV Watch
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150116_684139.html

Now, how about a Blu-ray Disc option to go along with that, please? :)

They nominate the weak How to train your Dragon 2 but not the really good Lego the Movie??? Oscars as good as always.

In any case Kaguya should win, but I expect anything from them.

Jarmel

Banned
Saekano-1

Utter fucking trash. After they played everything meta in episode 0, they go ahead and play everything dead straight.

Why the fuck would you release episode 0 as it makes episode 1 look like pure dogshit.

I would say that noitamina should be ashamed but they've peddled worse shit than this.

fertygo

Saekano-1

Utter fucking trash. After they played everything meta in episode 0, they go ahead and play everything dead straight.

Why the fuck would you release episode 0 as it makes episode 1 look like pure dogshit.

Not like I'm gonna keep watching the show but the LN itself famous for the metas and self-loathing 4th wall breaking, so maybe there's more of that later?

Touch 42
Picking a series back up after ~7 months of inactivity feels like strange. And with the length we're talking about, going back and rewatching it isn't really a possibility. I guess I'll remember everything as I keep watching.

Saekano 01

B2zSpxi.jpg

She is attacking him with her twin-tails. Perfect.

Outside of the fact that this clearly looks nicer than your average harem anime, everything else was played rather straight to be honest. I am somewhat curious about why the two girls dislike each other as its clear they have a past, though I assume it involves in MC in some way.

Jarmel

Banned
Your Lie in April-13
I'm sorry but the attempts to paint the mother in some glorified light is idiotic to an extent after they wasted near 10 episodes villain-fying her. So as of right now, I found the attempts to show her as some complicated and well meaning mother as rather shallow. Oh so she wanted her child to have a career in music so I'm supposed to feel better about her beating the shit out of her kid in public? I also feel the show took way, and I mean way too long to reach the conclusion in this episode.

Also good fucking lord is this dialogue cheesy as fuck. This show feels so inept at doing proper meaningful monologues and also it's clear that the director is afraid of letting the music and visuals speak for themselves.
ixBzQhXkcDVdA.jpg

Oh so you draw the line at blood?
I feel like this show is an unintentional damnation of Japanese society.

Edit: Oh and it's painfully clear that they're going to kill Kaori off and this will make Kousei a world-tier pianist. Suffering builds character!

"He needs somebody to die in order to become a better musician". What the fuck type of logic is that shit.

Your Lie in April-13

I'm sorry but the attempts to paint the mother in some glorified light is idiotic to an extent after they wasted near 10 episodes villain-fying her. So as of right now, I found the attempts to show her as some complicated and well meaning mother as rather shallow. Oh so she wanted her child to have a career in music so I'm supposed to feel better about her beating the shit out of her kid in public? I also feel the show took way, and I mean way too long to reach the conclusion in this episode.

Also good fucking lord is this dialogue cheesy as fuck. This show feels so inept at doing proper meaningful monologues and also it's clear that the director is afraid of letting the music and visuals speak for themselves.

Edit: Oh and it's painfully clear that they're going to kill Kaori off and this will make Kousei a world-tier pianist. Suffering builds character!

"He needs somebody to die in order to become a better musician". What the fuck type of logic is that shit.
The MC character had a mother who beat him bloody and now his love interest and childhood friend do that same. Maybe all the slapstick humor is just making a really dark point.

But really, the lack of subtlety in this show continues to be such a drain.

Your Lie in April-13
[...]

Heh, I was about to answer you with a comment like that, but I see you've made the connection by yourself.

There is a lingering thought behind all the story of abuse with the mother, and it seems to be "it's ok to make your child suffer and ruin his childhood and beat him, if there are results at the end, and hey, suffering is needed to reach greatness so in the end he should be thankful to to play so good he can earn his life with it!".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 7

Holy crap, Fate is either desperate or crazy. Maybe both.

These scene transitions are really odd. Did the show have budget problems in the first series?

Suddenly spaceships.

And a new character.

And we meet Fate's mother. Charming lady.

No really, this is getting incredibly sick and twisted.
Think "Your Lie in April".

Another giant tree?

So yeah, this show is becoming super-anime at this point.

More than that, the truth birth of Lyrical Nanoha is beginning.

CDiggity

Animation Expo 09

Simple, fun and to the point. No symbolism and no hidden meanings. Just men and robots fighting monsters. Since this was drawn by only two people, it obviously doesn't have that smooth as butter inbetween work the other shorts have, but the keyframing is very good here. I think got the feel just right when capturing that 80s toku style.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of the Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad theme.

Chikao Otsuka(MGS4's big boss VA) passed away
RIP

弊社所属俳優 大塚周夫 儀 (85歳)が、平成27年1月15日 虚血性心不全の為
 永眠いたしました。生前、皆様から頂きましたご厚情に心より感謝致します。

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm really interested in getting into the Gundam series. I don't know where to start though. Can anyone give me a suggestion on where a good place is to start. Or if there are multiple series that can be watched independently of each other? I'd prefer if it wasn't 4:3, but if it's absolutely necessary I'd watch it in 4:3.

Quasar

Heh, I was about to answer you with a comment like that, but I see you've made the connection by yourself.

There is a lingering thought behind all the story of abuse with the mother, and it seems to be "it's ok to make your child suffer and ruin his childhood and beat him, if there are results at the end, and hey, suffering is needed to reach greatness so in the end he should be thankful to to play so good he can earn his life with it!".

Hardly an unusual tale, the whole stage parents thing.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken was about a college clique that did clique things.

The Comiket arc was just one segment of the entire thing. It worked because it already had established characters to play off of one another.

But Shirobako's entire existence revolves around the process of anime creation. It's not a story about a bunch of high school girls dreaming of making anime, its a story about production.

Genshiken:
Focus - College bros being bros (characters)
Side story - Making doujinshi for comiket (process)

Shirobako:
Focus - Anime production (process)
Side Story - Depressed moe girl who needs to learn to draw cats so she can eat donuts (character)

In the former, the doujinshi production arc furthers the development of the characters. In the latter, Emi's work-related stress deepens the depiction of production!

I like both approaches, but I definitely prefer the layout that Genshiken went with. With a group of characters, Idl ike to know more about them and any plotlines flow alongside, knowing who they are and how they will react to the situation at hand. Shirobako is more concerned with the impersonal business atmosphere above all else.

Dog Days - 11-13 [Season 1 END]

You know, I enjoyed this show more than I thought I would. The male lead was both competent and capable at handling whatever was thrown his way, which is rare in harems. I was bummed to see this end but then quickly remembered that I have another season to marathon as well as getting caught up on the third that just started! Yesssssss!

OTPs at the end of the first season:

Leonmichelli x Millhiore

Cinque x Éclair

==============================================

Dog Days' - 01

The moment Nanami got some screen time at the end of the first season I prayed she would get the chance to join Cinque on his return trip back. What made it even better was that she ended up signing on as Leonmichelli's hero! Yessssssss!

OTPs at the end of the first episode:

Leonmichelli x Nanami

Cinque x Éclair

I like your pairings :)

Cowboy Bebop

Well, as an anime noob this was one of my pilgrimages, I have spent all day watching it for first time, just finished.

First of all:
"You're gonna carry that weight"

Fuck you Watanabe.

Anyway, just some highlights, it would be pretty worthless I wrote too much of one of the most well known series and I hardly can add anything of value, just some bullet points.

Enjoyed it quite a bit more than the last pilgrimage I did (Samurai Champloo). From Samurai Champloo I enjoyed a lot the last episodes, but I feel a lot more satisfied in general with Cowboy.

Favourite things: Music (MUSIC!), tons of variety, really well placed. World building is fantastic, style is great, design of cities and ships is really nice too, and it´s surprising how great it looks nowadays.

I was a bit surprised because it´s not exactly what I expected. I had some tidbits I had seen (the scene in the church) and I actually thought that was the ending, and boy, not even close. I also thought it would focus a lot on Spike past and how was his past life, and not, just tidbits. I also had the feeling that they would be a group of kick ass bounty hunters, kinda like a more serious version of Lupin, always looking good even when not achieving their objectives, and far from that (I am tempted to call them losers, but that would be a bit of a exaggeration).

Then, for less favorite things. I'm not a fan of the structure, this is completely personal but I think I like more series with some kind of more present overall act. It´s all very well connected, but most episodes are their own thing. That means there is a huge variety of themes and plots, but that opens the gate to better and worse episodes. For example, the first episode is good, Stray Dog is forgettable, the third one is ok, the fourth one is full of holes, and then, suddenly comes "Ballad of Fallen Angels" and is like a new dimension of quality. The good thing is that the highs come often and are really, really high, and the lows are not that bad. However, there are some completely skippable stuff. Toys in the Attic for example (too charged with homages imo, and I don't feel it suits that much).

Little else, I have enjoyed it a lot. The characters are really good, really solid. The series is tough with them and don't hold punches about it (the last scene between Spike and Feyes is brutal). And is a joy to watch, some scenes are really incredible (that persecution in episode 10, with that music, amazing).

I have to agree. Same thing I have brought up regarding Cowboy Bebop. While the episodic nature is extremely approachable, I wish there was more of an arc to each character than a token episode here or there and the main story is so cut into pieces that the full impact of that ending really isnt as strong as it should be.

cajunator

Banned
I agree with firehawk.

I watched an ep or 2 and then noped it on out. I found the show to be uninteresting and kind of trying to pass itself off as "See here its a depiction of the industry you anime snobs that love all the technical shit will love this!" but really it's just trying to sell me waifus.

I seriously dont understand how Shirobako could be seen this way. I honestly dont. It has nothing in common with typical choose a waifu shows.

What is the appeal of Dog Days exactly? I am six episodes in and wondering if I should continue or not. It seems like a worse version of Zero no Tsukaima and the main character is a real Gary Stu and is painfully nice. Does it get dramatically better at some point? I don't hate it and its kind of cute I guess but it seems painfully average.

Its mofus doing mofu things!
Animal ears and tails and fluffy cute goodness everywhere. ALso occasionally action/fighting.

Jex

While I remain unconvinced by a few of firehawk12's points I feel like he stated his case pretty well and fully explained his view. I can certainly understand, although not entirely agree with the critique of the characterisation in the series. I don't really have anything more to add because KuwabaraTheMan gave a pretty spirited defence of the series.

I suppose it was just good to read a well informed critique of the show, especially as it's a show which a few people haven't particularly liked and hopefully firehawk12's points has helped to clarify why that would be the case.

I'm really interested in getting into the Gundam series. I don't know where to start though. Can anyone give me a suggestion on where a good place is to start. Or if there are multiple series that can be watched independently of each other? I'd prefer if it wasn't 4:3, but if it's absolutely necessary I'd watch it in 4:3.

If you want to start Gundam and want to watch a self contained series I suggest you find the movie trilogy that adapted the first series of Gundam. It gets you started quite nicely with the series without watching a 43 episode series.

If you want individual series I suggest starting with either G Gundam or Gundam Wing both of which are in 4:3.

After you've watched a few series watch Gundam Build Fighters, the best Gundam series in the last 15 years IMHO.

Chikao Otsuka(MGS4's big boss VA) passed away
RIP

RIP

cajunator

Banned
Goth loli-sama is more of a visual joke than a waifu. She's also a really minor character.

She was only created to market the show to me. It wasnt necessary though!

Hey, we didn't see her sleep under her desk... yet!

Tu es loli.

One of my coworkers used to do that. He lived over an hour from the Memphis terminal, so when dispatchers used to work out of the terminals instead of all centered here, he used to bring a hammock to work and sleep in that when he was off instead of driving home every night.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu Episode 1

HcbbGq9.jpg

My goodness, It's like Kampfer but with far less fan service. Main character is super cute as a girl though. Seems like a fun watch. Lots of more gender bender stuff seems to be out there now. Looking forward to the next one.

Twintails is legit amazing. Like AOTY amazing. Though it has its derp moments of QUALITY.

When the "real" Exodus actually comes out, we'll see for ourselves. Of course, then you have issues about how well the real production stuff lines up with the production stuff in Shirobako, but I personally don't see being any more exciting than the moe action shows that are airing right now.

I hope if this happens its not Kujibiki Unbalance from Genshiken where the characters and story were just completely changed from the in-series anime. That would be disappointing.

Necrovex

Chaps, if I love (manga) Eyeshield 21 and Ippo, would you expect me to love also Kuroko no Basuke? Filling my backlog up with some sport anime. Slam Dunk and One Outs are already in it.

cajunator

Banned
Still waiting on those Pure White Lover Bizarre Jelly OVA's

Oh I would watch the shit out of that!

I watched Steins;Gate and it was awesome.

Caught some feels towards the end, what a great show.

It really is. Did you marathon it? I let the show air and then caught up with it all at once. It was worth the wait. I dont think it would have been bearable had I watched week to week. And then watching it all together meant noticing some tiny details that come into play unexpectedly. Such a great series. I love it so much!

Hnnnnnngsqueak

Andrew J.

Shirobako 14

Welp, my stereotypes about Japanese people being unfailingly polite and nonconfrontational have been exploded. Anyone else?

John Blade

Well...it come down to if you want to watch the main story timeline (UC Timeline) or the alternative timeline. If you want to start with something easy to watch and not too interested in the main timeline of the series, then the alternative will be something to watch into.

For alternative timeline, here are the show that goes there. Which one is the best is depend on people opinion so I will post my option from what I saw.

G Gundam (Think Street Fighter in mech)

Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz (Gundam craze that start in North America. Not really a good show but have a soft spot for it. Think 5 main boy army fighting for one purpose and destroy anything on they path. Also, trying to bring peace of no weapon for the world which is BS).

Gundam X (One of the better in alternative Gundam show of What If the colony crash on earth. Very old dated anime but keep with it.)

Gundam SEED series (Kinda a retelling of the original Gundam show (kinda) with they own twist. A divide from the old and new gundam fans. Start slow but pick up later on the show. Not my cup of tea for me).

Gundam SEED DESTINY series (the squeal of SEED but not a good way. Have potential in the beginning but throw out of the window as you continue to watch).

Gundam 00 series (Only watch the 1 season and from what I have to say, a very good show. For the 2nd season, based on what I head, not that good. Might watch this as it`s still somewhat recent and have a decent story).

Gunpla Builders series (Didn`t watch it so no comment. Look like a some sort a mech game where kids fight other kids with they small gundam model).

Gundam AGE (Didn`t watch it so no comment).

Reconguista in G (Didn`t watch it so no comment).

For the universal timeline, here are the show that goes there.

Mobile Suit Gundam (The show that start the Gundam franchise. Didn`t age well in the animation side (1979) but for the storyline and plot development, it still work fine. If you want to follow the UC timeline, go watch this show as it`s the starting point for the UC series. Do try to hold up with some bad animation and some filler episodes. If you don`t want to watch the TV show but want to have an idea of the story, go watch the 3 movies for it as it give you a very good idea of what happened in the show minus any filler or unimportant part of the show).

Zeta Gundam (The sequel of Mobile Suit Gundam but this time with new characters and situation in the show. Quite a few of the characters from the original show come back but for few episodes. You`re following a teenager character who join the different side of the team who oppose the new enemies which is coming out from the war. A very dark story and tons of mature drama. One of the better show in UC timeline. They is 3 movies for this TV show but would recommend watch the TV as it change too much and ruin quite a bit of the story in the TV side).

Gundam ZZ (The sequel of Zeta Gundam. It take place after the incident at the end of Zeta Gundam and you meet with another new main characters in the show. The 1st half of the show is more kid friendly and tons of slap stick joke. Don`t let it stop you as it become better around the half way mark as the story change from the kid friendly to the very serious tone. Not the better of the series but still watchable and would watch it after you finish Zeta Gundam).

Char's Counterattack (A Movie that is take place after ZZ gundam. All the major character come back to fight one more time in this movie. Basically, the whole main plot of the movie is come down to the enemies want the people in earth to go to space and they did this by sending the asteroid to earth. The good side is trying to stop it from happening and you see the main character in the original show come back for the last time to duke it out and finish the fight. A fun movie to watch but wouldn`t recommend you to watch this 1st).

Gundam 0080 (The show is around the time in the original show series (few weeks before the end of the war). It start with new character and basically you follow a small lad who love war and battle like every kids do when they`re young but didn`t understand the bad side of war till he see what it did to the people he know. Might be one of top Gundam show as it have good pacing and storyline and character development was top spot. You don`t really need to watch the UC show to understand it as it kinda outside but it`s wise you do so you can understand the backstory).

Gundam F91 (A movie that take place sooo far from the UC timeline. Originally a TV show but turn into a movie, it have quite a bit potential and good idea but rush through quickly because of the limited of time. Kinda disappointed a bit but do watch this if you want to read Crossbone Manga as it`s from this timeframe and story).

Gundam 0083 (Think Top Gun the movie idea in this show. Great action scene all the way but with limited character development and very bad triangle love in the show (you understand this when you watch it. Just watch it for the fun mech battle).

Victory Gundam (Watch this long ago and it`s a good show. Try to be on the Kid friendly but have a very serious tone and you can say depressing in certain part of the show. Good show but be prepared to see quite a few characters you love to pass by in the show.)

The 08th MS Team (Another show but within the time frame in the original gundam show but on earth in Asia, a very good show in the beginning but change in the middle and turn into some sort a romance story fight. Not really a big issue but did annoy few fans for it. Still a good show to watch if you have a chance to see it).

Turn A Gundam (This is maybe the best show if you want great character development, storyline that is interesting and same with the plot, the pacing is decent after you pass the hump in the beginning and one of the best main character in the Gundam franchise from my opinion. If you want action show, this might not be the one as it more story develop and you will need time to understand the main story. Think of this as a steampunk like anime).

G-Saviour (Live action movie of Gundam. Not good and don`t watch it as you`re not missing much (maybe 5 minutes of Gundam fight scene of the whole movie).

They;re few more but I will stop right there. This should give you some idea of the show in the Gundam franchise.

fertygo

Chaps, if I love (manga) Eyeshield 21 and Ippo, would you expect me to love also Kuroko no Basuke? Filling my backlog up with some sport anime. Slam Dunk and One Outs are already in it.

TBH Not sure, even as massive fan of sport anime and Kuroko manga itself.. I'm not quite understand why people crazed over the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom