• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

You cannot seriously tell me that some musician would sue because he happened to share a name with some anime character. He would have to be a moron and his lawyer would tell him so.
Are you seriously telling me it WOULDN'T result in a lawsuit? Also, the actual artist doesn't need to tell the lawyer to sue: the lawyers are usually operating on their own.

Jex

Just stick Gundam 0083 on and enjoy the Top Gun cheese. Second Gundam I ever watched after Wing and I loved it.

No no no no.

If you find a copy of Gundam 0083 you should break it in half, bake in the microwave and then toss it into a nuclear reactor.

Taruranto

My Little Sister Can't Possibly Pilot A Gundam!!! #16

uqM7KdC.jpg
Ahah, Incest surprise for Bellri... wait, what is this? Did they rewrite her character in the last 20 seconds or what?

Also Bellri seems to have taken this very well considering everything... only to change his character again in the last minute? Sure, why not.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Assassination Classroom Episode 2:

I feel like these kids and indeed this entire world is lacking in lateral thinking when it comes to killing the Koro Sensei. All of these loud and boisterous attempts at killing will get them nowhere and nobody seems to have any subtlety or grace in their arsenal. Nobody seems to be trying to poison him or grind the Anti-Koro balls into a fine power and dust the air or a paper with the substance. Another avenue unexplored seems to be a command of maths and physics in order to precision engineer a successful assassination attempt.

BluWacky

Except they wouldn't, you cannot copyright names.
You can trademark names but nobody can stop you from using that name unless you are also claiming that name is a trademark.

Not strictly speaking true. If Oingo Boingo were used in connection with a category of goods covered by an Oingo Boingo trademark - for instance, media and entertainment services (covered by class 41 of most trademark registrations) - and there was a likelihood of confusion over its use, then the holders could sue.

Of course, this is entirely irrelevant, as a quick search of the USPTO reveals that Oingo Boingo is not a registered trademark and is therefore not actionable.

dan2026

Not strictly speaking true. If Oingo Boingo were used in connection with a category of goods covered by an Oingo Boingo trademark - for instance, media and entertainment services (covered by class 41 of most trademark registrations) - and there was a likelihood of confusion over its use, then the holders could sue.

Of course, this is entirely irrelevant, as a quick search of the USPTO reveals that Oingo Boingo is not a registered trademark and is therefore not actionable.

So not only is a lawsuit improbable, but its also impossible in this case?
Seriously Crunchyroll.... Ok with this image my rant is over.

1421432313167.png

Theonik

I don't know how long i'll get stuck in. I haven't seen an episode since I watched on toonami a long time ago. If I don't like it I'll move on, but I want to give it a try.
Longest on the list is Turn A.
You have:
6hrs for the 0079 movies
2hrs for 0080
4hrs for 08 MS
17(?)hrs for Turn A Gundam
8hrs GBF

not a lot of time at all!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
More
lesbian bears
aggressive
I wonder if I wouldn't prefer SatoJun's lesbian bears. lol

While I remain unconvinced by a few of firehawk12's points I feel like he stated his case pretty well and fully explained his view. I can certainly understand, although not entirely agree with the critique of the characterisation in the series. I don't really have anything more to add because KuwabaraTheMan gave a pretty spirited defence of the series.

I suppose it was just good to read a well informed critique of the show, especially as it's a show which a few people haven't particularly liked and hopefully firehawk12's points has helped to clarify why that would be the case.
I feel bad for not finding a show that you guys seem to have found. But I just can't connect to the show on a meaningful level.

I hope if this happens its not Kujibiki Unbalance from Genshiken where the characters and story were just completely changed from the in-series anime. That would be disappointing.
I just assumed this was real because someone here said it was. It's another reason why I compare the show to Genshiken, since this is very much a nerd show for nerds and only nerds would actually care about watching a show in the show become a reality.

Narag

You cannot seriously tell me that some musician would sue because he happened to share a name with some anime character. He would have to be a moron and his lawyer would tell him so.

Ok its a minor dumb annoyance. But seriously Crunchyroll, have some freaking balls and check your legal rights.

If people don't defend trademarks, they lose them.

cajunator

Banned
I wonder if I wouldn't prefer SatoJun's lesbian bears. lol

I feel bad for not finding a show that you guys seem to have found. But I just can't connect to the show on a meaningful level.

I just assumed this was real because someone here said it was. It's another reason why I compare the show to Genshiken, since this is very much a nerd show for nerds and only nerds would actually care about watching a show in the show become a reality.

Well this nerd looooooved shows within shows.
*nerds out nerdily

Funimation is looking to finally release the Future Diary Blu-ray this summer. Nice.

FINALLY I can buy this!
Been holding out for a long time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Death Parade Episode 2:

I am not sure if this episode was needed given
that it was basically episode one via the eyes of Nico Robin, Fucking hell, I will give her a name even if this show seems fit not to at this time. Still, things have been learned, like the function of Nico Robin, the background of the arbiters and the one known Nona whom seems to be in charge. Also, the ED is making much more sense now that we know that DuoDeceuim has a hobby of making mannequins or at least keeping them around. Calling it now Nico is one of those oversized dolls come to life in some fashion. Anyway, as neat as the new bits and the confirmation of what when down on the first episode were, a retread is a retread.

What's the best arc then?

Well once you reach episode 30+ that's when the show kicks into high gear, it'd be hard to tell you what are the best episodes/arcs. I'd say that once you reach that point you gotta keep watching as it's consistently funny, and I'd argue there's no funnier anime I've watched outside of Detroit Metal City, but that's only like 12 episodes long and it's 10 minutes per episode.

for example the story of Jerry gets me everytime.

Death Parade - 02

The way they chose to explain the setting and the rules of this arbiter chamber with the use of a "new recruit" was a nice.
I think more of a quick explanation would've worked just as fine, instead of spending the majority of the episode on behind the scenes of the previous episode. And maybe get some screen time for the rest of the crew we see in the OP instead.

On one hand I'm glad they explained the meaning of reincarnation and the void, but at the same time I kinda wanted to be in the dark throughout and make us ponder each time.
I find it kinda hilarious that
Decim fucked up
and got told by this newbie. Also Miss Nona is awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Gintama is funny, but it really does its best at working in dichotomies within arcs. How Srorachi shifts from slapstick manzai-esque humour to blood pumping heroic bloodshed in a split second is where the show really shines.

The first movie/major arc - Benizakura-hen (starting at 60 or so?) - is the real "aha" moment for when it all clicks.

Stiens;Gate 15

So this is where the "Sonuvabitch"clip comes from.

The episode was buildup for the most part.
Part-time warriors backstory is revealed in more detail
but otherwise the episode spends most of its time
trying to find her father.

Death Parade 2
Yeah, this type of episode felt really unnecessary. I hope they don't continue to spell every single thing out like this in the future.

I think Gintama is funny, but it really does its best at working in dichotomies within arcs. How Srorachi shifts from slapstick manzai-esque humour to blood pumping heroic bloodshed in a split second is where the show really shines.

The first movie/major arc - Benizakura-hen (starting at 60 or so?) - is the real "aha" moment for when it all clicks.

Pretty much this, the way the series switches from comedy to drama so well is amazing. This is something most series can't do well.

Well once you reach episode 30+ that's when the show kicks into high gear, it'd be hard to tell you what are the best episodes/arcs. I'd say that once you reach that point you gotta keep watching as it's consistently funny, and I'd argue there's no funnier anime I've watched outside of Detroit Metal City, but that's only like 12 episodes long and it's 10 minutes per episode.

for example the story of Jerry gets me everytime.

Hm... I dunno. The short arc I just watched now wasn't that funny. It did have that touching ending that I liked though.

Yoshiwara Arc, but others also say 4 Devas Arc is the best.

*checks* ... Guess I got a lot more episodes to watch before getting to those, huh :p

Should I watch the episodes, the movie or both then?

I feel like these kids and indeed this entire world is lacking in lateral thinking when it comes to killing the Koro Sensei. All of these loud and boisterous attempts at killing will get them nowhere and nobody seems to have any subtlety or grace in their arsenal. Nobody seems to be trying to poison him or grind the Anti-Koro balls into a fine power and dust the air or a paper with the substance. Another avenue unexplored seems to be a command of maths and physics in order to precision engineer a successful assassination attempt.
Already tried before the anime began .
Pretty sure all conventionnals methods have been tried when he went in the UN meeting to tell the world leader that he was the one who blew up the moon. Especially when "he" told them of the anti-koro balls. If this episode is what i think it is .. it was more a way to show that a frontal assault is impossible...

Came in today.

Sentai filmworks ? i guess i can guess who i'll take the license in europe then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much this, the way the series switches from comedy to drama so well is amazing. This is something most series can't do well.
It's what I sort of wanted out of Sket Dance, but I didn't really get the same feeling out of the show. Or One Piece, come to think of it. You'd think all the Luffy gomu gomu stuff would work well with the super serious stuff, but it doesn't quite work in the same way as what happens in Gintama.

The movie replaces the episodes and is for the most part an improvement, but I ended up watching both when I went through the series again anyway. But that's because I watched the whole thing out of order in the first place.

CDiggity

Death parade 02

Whose ready for Death Bowling next week?

That said. I see the point of this episode, but I hope these "behind the scenes" things don't constitute more of the series than needed.

Edit: this show is so screwed when it is going to come to bd sales.

Hm... I dunno. The short arc I just watched now wasn't that funny. It did have that touching ending that I liked though.

*checks* ... Guess I got a lot more episodes to watch before getting to those, huh :p

Not every arc is going to be absolute gold, but it's arguably the most consistent comedy in anime as the highs are high as all hell, and the lows aren't terrible. Not to mention that for a show with 200+ episodes that's a huge feat as it never gets bad once you get past the initial 'introducing all of these characters' bump and characters start to get their personalities. Personally Gintama is the good Simpsons of anime for me, and it has the best supporting cast of side characters out of any other comedy I've watched (in anime).

As to the movie vs the episodes, once you reach the arc just watch the movie instead. Better animation as far as I'm aware. Plus it tells the same story.

@firehawk: forgive the question what's your avatar? First guess would be Raylan Givens from Justified but can't tell.

Clov

Apparently, in the ANN podcast with Funimation, there has been "no consideration so far" as for a sub-only BD release for The Tatami Galaxy on Funimation's part. It's as though each and every time they do these interviews, they slip that in just to upset me.

rrvv

I feel like these kids and indeed this entire process is lacking in lateral thinking when it comes to killing the Koro Sensei. All of these loud and boisterous attempts at killing will get them nowhere and nobody seems to have any subtlety or grace in their arsenal. Nobody seems to be trying to poison him or grind the Anti-Koro balls into a fine power and dust the air or a paper with the substance. Another avenue unexplored seems to be a command of maths and physics in order to precision engineer a successful assassination attempt.

I think the did all those later

Steins;Gate 16

Well that was... depressing.
I mean sure Mayuri is still alive and Part-time warrior knows who her father was but she deserved better dammit.

Farewell Part-time warrior. You were truly Stiens;Gates' best girl.

Not every arc is going to be absolute gold, but it's arguably the most consistent comedy in anime as the highs are high as all hell, and the lows aren't terrible. Not to mention that for a show with 200+ episodes that's a huge feat as it never gets bad once you get past the initial 'introducing all of these characters' bump and characters start to get their personalities. Personally Gintama is the good Simpsons of anime for me, and it has the best supporting cast of side characters out of any other comedy I've watched (in anime).

As to the movie vs the episodes, once you reach the arc just watch the movie instead. Better animation as far as I'm aware. Plus it tells the same story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it enough to looking forward to watching all of it. Just saying that some episodes/arcs are not that funny to me.

The movie replaces the episodes and is for the most part an improvement, but I ended up watching both when I went through the series again anyway. But that's because I watched the whole thing out of order in the first place.

Hm.. Might just watch both. Doesn't add that much time to the watch in total. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
@firehawk: forgive the question what's your avatar? First guess would be Raylan Givens from Justified but can't tell.
Indeed! From the key art for S6. Coming January 20th on an television near you!

Apparently, in the ANN podcast with Funimation, there has been "no consideration so far" as for a sub-only BD release for The Tatami Galaxy on Funimation's part. It's as though each and every time they do these interviews, they slip that in just to upset me.
Oh did they do their Funimation podcast? Any other news?

Hm.. Might just watch both. Doesn't add that much time to the watch in total. :p
I watched Benizakura-hen like 10 times. You could probably find my posts about it back in 2012 or whenever it was. lol

(Funny enough, I think I must have watched the Four Devas arc at least 10-15 times now. Maybe more if you just count episode 213-214 rewatches.)

good man firehawk, your good taste is showing. Except for not liking Interstellar, you fuck.

All right gonna watch Death Parade. And also catch up with S5 of Justified since I missed it.

cajunator

Banned

Nothing will ever come of Dennou Coil either. Unforgivable.

Steins;Gate 16

Well that was... depressing.
I mean sure Mayuri is still alive and Part-time warrior knows who her father was but she deserved better dammit.

Farewell Part-time warrior. You were truly Stiens;Gates' best girl.

Kurisu is the best. Suzuha has to settle for second. Actually in my list she settles for fourth :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom