• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 02

Oh wow, what a big girl
68s9f72.jpg

NNs3fHK.jpg

>186cm
Well she's taller than me

Chaps, if I love (manga) Eyeshield 21 and Ippo, would you expect me to love also Kuroko no Basuke? Filling my backlog up with some sport anime. Slam Dunk and One Outs are already in it.

Kuroko is really one of those crazy sports series with a lot of almost superpower type techniques. So it's more in the Eyeshield 21/Prince of Tennis vein, rather than the more grounded take of something like Hajime no Ippo.

The characters also aren't quite as well rounded compared to some other series. I enjoy Kuroko, but it's really a series where your enjoyment will come down to how much you can enjoy the constant sports drama, last second heroics and crazy turnabouts in a match. You aren't really going to get much in terms of anyone's personal stories outside of 'win this basketball game'. It's a lot more just about the constant game action and crazy turns of events (seriously, sometimes it feels like an entire games worth of drama gets crammed into a single quarter or less).

I'm really interested in getting into the Gundam series. I don't know where to start though. Can anyone give me a suggestion on where a good place is to start. Or if there are multiple series that can be watched independently of each other? I'd prefer if it wasn't 4:3, but if it's absolutely necessary I'd watch it in 4:3.

The best way to start would be the original 1979 series (the movie trilogy could be watched instead in a pinch), and then continuing to Zeta Gundam. Yes, it's 4:3 and old, but it's an important moment in anime history, and probably the best way to watch Gundam.

Most of the recent series are set in different timelines, but none of them are really great places to start with. SEED is quite flawed, 00 is a joke, Age is worse, and G Reco relies a lot on the history of the UC timeline.

The best show to watch independent of the original timeline is G Gundam, although that itself is now 20 years old.

Andrew J.

That's one intense argument about Shirobako

I'm on team Shirobako for several reason
- Relatable character and working environment. For me Shirobako potrayal in working environment really remind me of my working place. Heck, there's even a guy who act like Taro (and he is not fired yet)
- The behind the scene of animation industry.
- Reference and joke
- Comedy (that bicycle dude is really annoying and funny)
- The show don't tell approach in several scene. Ema home is barebone and she's eating heated curry, while Miyamori have a nicer home working as production assistant. The freelancer key animator also have small room. If this not telling that the pay as animator sucks, i don't know. It seem veteran got it better though.

Well, as good as it is, no show is perfect, and there's several flaw that need to be highlighted
The flaw
- Same face for most of the girls
- Paper thin characterization
- Too many characters

Overall, i enjoy Shirobako for being good workplace comedy in animation industry. I disagree with the selling waifu thing though.

I like Shirobako because Aoi makes lots of funny faces.

cajunator

Banned

So whats that picture trying to do, support Shirobako or take the piss out of it?

Saekano 01

Outside of the fact that this clearly looks nicer than your average harem anime, everything else was played rather straight to be honest. I am somewhat curious about why the two girls dislike each other as its clear they have a past, though I assume it involves in MC in some way.

Oh my. I need to watch this!

The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 02

Oh wow, what a big girl

>186cm
Well she's taller than me

the choice of idols in this show is disappointing given the potential.

I'd say that the movie trilogy is the preferred way to go, unless you really have some obsessive need to watch the entire TV series.

I'm probably just a crazy person.

The original series has a lot of sentimental value to me. It's definitely uneven, but I feel like there's a great sense of progression there.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well...it come down to if you want to watch the main story timeline (UC Timeline) or the alternative timeline. If you want to start with something easy to watch and not too interested in the main timeline of the series, then the alternative will be something to watch into.

For alternative timeline, here are the show that goes there. Which one is the best is depend on people opinion so I will post my option from what I saw.

G Gundam (Think Street Fighter in mech)

Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz (Gundam craze that start in North America. Not really a good show but have a soft spot for it. Think 5 main boy army fighting for one purpose and destroy anything on they path. Also, trying to bring peace of no weapon for the world which is BS).

Gundam X (One of the better in alternative Gundam show of What If the colony crash on earth. Very old dated anime but keep with it.)

Gundam SEED series (Kinda a retelling of the original Gundam show (kinda) with they own twist. A divide from the old and new gundam fans. Start slow but pick up later on the show. Not my cup of tea for me).

Gundam SEED DESTINY series (the squeal of SEED but not a good way. Have potential in the beginning but throw out of the window as you continue to watch).

Gundam 00 series (Only watch the 1 season and from what I have to say, a very good show. For the 2nd season, based on what I head, not that good. Might watch this as it`s still somewhat recent and have a decent story).

Gunpla Builders series (Didn`t watch it so no comment. Look like a some sort a mech game where kids fight other kids with they small gundam model).

Gundam AGE (Didn`t watch it so no comment).

Reconguista in G (Didn`t watch it so no comment).

For the universal timeline, here are the show that goes there.

Mobile Suit Gundam (The show that start the Gundam franchise. Didn`t age well in the animation side (1979) but for the storyline and plot development, it still work fine. If you want to follow the UC timeline, go watch this show as it`s the starting point for the UC series. Do try to hold up with some bad animation and some filler episodes. If you don`t want to watch the TV show but want to have an idea of the story, go watch the 3 movies for it as it give you a very good idea of what happened in the show minus any filler or unimportant part of the show).

Zeta Gundam (The sequel of Mobile Suit Gundam but this time with new characters and situation in the show. Quite a few of the characters from the original show come back but for few episodes. You`re following a teenager character who join the different side of the team who oppose the new enemies which is coming out from the war. A very dark story and tons of mature drama. One of the better show in UC timeline. They is 3 movies for this TV show but would recommend watch the TV as it change too much and ruin quite a bit of the story in the TV side).

Gundam ZZ (The sequel of Zeta Gundam. It take place after the incident at the end of Zeta Gundam and you meet with another new main characters in the show. The 1st half of the show is more kid friendly and tons of slap stick joke. Don`t let it stop you as it become better around the half way mark as the story change from the kid friendly to the very serious tone. Not the better of the series but still watchable and would watch it after you finish Zeta Gundam).

Char's Counterattack (A Movie that is take place after ZZ gundam. All the major character come back to fight one more time in this movie. Basically, the whole main plot of the movie is come down to the enemies want the people in earth to go to space and they did this by sending the asteroid to earth. The good side is trying to stop it from happening and you see the main character in the original show come back for the last time to duke it out and finish the fight. A fun movie to watch but wouldn`t recommend you to watch this 1st).

Gundam 0080 (The show is around the time in the original show series (few weeks before the end of the war). It start with new character and basically you follow a small lad who love war and battle like every kids do when they`re young but didn`t understand the bad side of war till he see what it did to the people he know. Might be one of top Gundam show as it have good pacing and storyline and character development was top spot. You don`t really need to watch the UC show to understand it as it kinda outside but it`s wise you do so you can understand the backstory).

Gundam F91 (A movie that take place sooo far from the UC timeline. Originally a TV show but turn into a movie, it have quite a bit potential and good idea but rush through quickly because of the limited of time. Kinda disappointed a bit but do watch this if you want to read Crossbone Manga as it`s from this timeframe and story).

Gundam 0083 (Think Top Gun the movie idea in this show. Great action scene all the way but with limited character development and very bad triangle love in the show (you understand this when you watch it. Just watch it for the fun mech battle).

Victory Gundam (Watch this long ago and it`s a good show. Try to be on the Kid friendly but have a very serious tone and you can say depressing in certain part of the show. Good show but be prepared to see quite a few characters you love to pass by in the show.)

The 08th MS Team (Another show but within the time frame in the original gundam show but on earth in Asia, a very good show in the beginning but change in the middle and turn into some sort a romance story fight. Not really a big issue but did annoy few fans for it. Still a good show to watch if you have a chance to see it).

Turn A Gundam (This is maybe the best show if you want great character development, storyline that is interesting and same with the plot, the pacing is decent after you pass the hump in the beginning and one of the best main character in the Gundam franchise from my opinion. If you want action show, this might not be the one as it more story develop and you will need time to understand the main story. Think of this as a steampunk like anime).

G-Saviour (Live action movie of Gundam. Not good and don`t watch it as you`re not missing much (maybe 5 minutes of Gundam fight scene of the whole movie).

They;re few more but I will stop right there. This should give you some idea of the show in the Gundam franchise.

Holy moly, thanks a lot! I'm at work right now. I'll definitely use this as reference tonight to get started.

The best way to start would be the original 1979 series (the movie trilogy could be watched instead in a pinch), and then continuing to Zeta Gundam. Yes, it's 4:3 and old, but it's an important moment in anime history, and probably the best way to watch Gundam.

Most of the recent series are set in different timelines, but none of them are really great places to start with. SEED is quite flawed, 00 is a joke, Age is worse, and G Reco relies a lot on the history of the UC timeline.

The best show to watch independent of the original timeline is G Gundam, although that itself is now 20 years old.

I think I'm going to forget my 4:3 mandate, and just go balls deep to the beginning of it. Seems worth it.

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 02

That should get everyone's introductions out of the way. I'm curious if this is going to be one cour or two. No video listings have gone up yet, and they have about as many girls as the main iM@S anime, so presumably they'd need as much time to delve into them. While some of the quirkier girls from the cards didn't make it here, Ranko is my favorite (Mayayan commands you!), but the Anzu/Kirari pairing has its charms, and Kanako is getting my attention for the same reason Kaoruko is over in GBF Try. Plus Riina and her rocker style are pretty cool. Narrowing it down to these 14 must've been tough, and I can see why they went with the basic ones - the Harukas of their group - to play the main characters in this anime.

It's still iM@S, and I'm looking forward to more of it.

Cinderella Girls 02

That should get everyone's introductions out of the way. I'm curious if this is going to be one cour or two. No video listings have gone up yet, and they have about as many girls as the main iM@S anime, so presumably they'd need as much time to delve into them. While some of the quirkier girls from the cards didn't make it here, Ranko is my favorite (Mayayan commands you!), but the Anzu/Kirari pairing has its charms, and Kanako is getting my attention for the same reason Kaoruko is over in GBF Try. Plus Riina and her rocker style are pretty cool. Narrowing it down to these 14 must've been tough, and I can see why they went with the basic ones - the Harukas of their group - to play the main characters in this anime.

It's still iM@S, and I'm looking forward to more of it.

It's already confirmed 2 cour show

Chikao Otsuka(MGS4's big boss VA) passed away
RIP

RIP.

Holy moly, thanks a lot! I'm at work right now. I'll definitely use this as reference tonight to get started.

Start with G Gundam as G Gundam is the best Gundam show ever made.

Turn A Gundam I also hear is very good.

Gundam 00, you're better off just watching season 1 only. Season 2 has a ton of problems in it, and while I liked some stuff in it, it's still pretty dang bad. AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE MOVIE.

Also don't watch Gundam AGE or Victory Gundam.

Seriously. A certain somebody in this thread has had quite the awful experience with those two and I can safely say that you should not waste your time with those.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Chaps, if I love (manga) Eyeshield 21 and Ippo, would you expect me to love also Kuroko no Basuke? Filling my backlog up with some sport anime. Slam Dunk and One Outs are already in it.

Probably. Some of the scene is really cool. Though if you like sport anime, i recommend Giant Killing as well.

I like Shirobako because Aoi makes lots of funny faces.
Oh yeah, that to.
Her despair face is funny!

I still maintain that The 08th MS Team is the worst gundam property I have ever had the misfortune of watching. I'll watch all of AGE twice before I'd watch that once again.

Ray Wonder

Start with G Gundam as G Gundam is the best Gundam show ever made.

Turn A Gundam I also hear is very good.

Gundam 00, you're better off just watching season 1 only. Season 2 has a ton of problems in it, and while I liked some stuff in it, it's still pretty dang bad. AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE MOVIE.

Also don't watch Gundam AGE or Victory Gundam.

Seriously. A certain somebody in this thread has had quite the awful experience with those two and I can safely say that you should not waste your time with those.

Aye aye, Captain. G Gundam sounds good to me. Thanks for the tips.

But it is.

The only thing Gundam Wing made me think about is that they could do a Terra Formars sequel sending anyone from the cast instead of cockroaches.

Those fuckers just don't die.

Shot in the heart?
Nah, you'll live.

Stranded in space?
Nah, you'll live.

Blown up?
Nah, you'll live.

Necrovex

Thanks for the answers. I'm also curious of what sport anime I should watch if I want something in the veins of Hajime no Ippo?

John Blade

Aye aye, Captain. G Gundam sounds good to me. Thanks for the tips.

If you still stick in the alternative time line for now and you finish G-Gundam and you want somewhat a serious but a fun tone, I would also go watch Gundam X if you can give yourself some time to watch a semi long show (39 episodes). It`s kinda a black sheep of Gundam franchise and for the fans out there, they will know why. It`s actually a decent show and have stuff that most Gundam show miss. It try to be realist in the story while at the same time have a sense of humor for the main characters. It also have a good amount of maturity of the characters in the show which you respect and love.

Still, start from the alternative timeline show and go for G-gundam. After that, if you want to see a decent story show, go to Gundam X as it might be one of the better gundam show from the alter time line and did it well even with issue and flaw in the show.

Jex

I'm really interested in getting into the Gundam series. I don't know where to start though. Can anyone give me a suggestion on where a good place is to start. Or if there are multiple series that can be watched independently of each other? I'd prefer if it wasn't 4:3, but if it's absolutely necessary I'd watch it in 4:3.

Well, firstly I'd recommend you don't get into Gundam at all. At least, not in the manner in which people watch the entire franchise because really most of it is crap.

Still if you must watch Gundam here is what I recommend:

- The Original Gundam Movie Trilogy
- Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
- Gundam 08th MS Team
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam
- Turn A Gundam (You should probably skip this but it's the least-bad Gundam TV series Tomino has ever made.)
- Gundam Build Fighters

You can read about the rest on Wikipedia or whatever.

Ray Wonder

Honestly you guys are the best.. Every time I come in here to ask one little question I get big ass helpful answers.

If you still stick in the alternative time line for now and you finish G-Gundam and you want somewhat a serious but a fun tone, I would also go watch Gundam X if you can give yourself some time to watch a semi long show (39 episodes). It`s kinda a black sheep of Gundam franchise and for the fans out there, they will know why. It`s actually a decent show and have stuff that most Gundam show miss. It try to be realist in the story while at the same time have a sense of humor for the main characters. It also have a good amount of maturity of the characters in the show which you respect and love.

Still, start from the alternative timeline show and go for G-gundam. After that, if you want to see a decent story show, go to Gundam X as it might be one of the better gundam show from the alter time line and did it well even with issue and flaw in the show.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Not sure what I'm looking for in it yet.

Well, firstly I'd recommend you don't get into Gundam at all. At least, not in the manner in which people watch the entire franchise because really most of it is crap.

Still if you must watch Gundam here is what I recommend:

- The Original Gundam Movie Trilogy
- Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
- Gundam 08th MS Team
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam
- Turn A Gundam (You should probably skip this but it's the least-bad Gundam TV series Tomino has ever made.)
- Gundam Build Fighters

You can read about the rest on Wikipedia or whatever.

I don't know how long i'll get stuck in. I haven't seen an episode since I watched on toonami a long time ago. If I don't like it I'll move on, but I want to give it a try.

Dynedom

Fafner Exodus: 01-02

That deliciously retro BGM while battling.

I'm ready for more despair, even with :hiraiface:

I hope this gets big budget episodes like MJP did.

MrChom

Just stick Gundam 0083 on and enjoy the Top Gun cheese. Second Gundam I ever watched after Wing and I loved it.

Also....really? Twintails an AOTY candidate? We saw one episode at my local anime society to fill a space and it looked like bubblegum fanservice nonsense....and not the good kind.

Joe Molotov

Also....really? Twintails an AOTY candidate? We saw one episode at my local anime society to fill a space and it looked like bubblegum fanservice nonsense....and not the good kind.

You don't have the love of twintails in your heart. If you believe in twintails, anything is possible.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Season 2, Episode 2:

Honestly don't have much to say about this episode as this played pretty strictly to formula and I am beginning to see why Part 3 is so derided in the west.
Right, note to Crunchyroll or whomever is subtitling this, it is pretty hard to hide the original musical reference when it is literally right there on the manga.

dan2026

Jojo 26

Seriously Crunchyroll. Your Jojo subtitles are garbage.
It says 'Oingo and 'Boingo right there on the page.

They don't even try and write the proper names. Why not just add a couple of letters?

Its freaking pathetic.

Grexeno

Jojo 26

Seriously Crunchyroll. Your Jojo subtitles are garbage.
It says 'Oingo and 'Boingo right there on the page.

They don't even try and write the proper names. Why not just add a couple of letters?

Its freaking pathetic.
Because they would get sued if they actually used Oingo and Boingo

So much hate for Twintails, guess I'll put it on my watch list to see how it is.

Yeah, I like being a masochist and watch crappy shows, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with Wing.

Grexeno

Except they wouldn't, you cannot copyright names.
You can trademark names but nobody can stop you from using that name unless you are also claiming that name is a trademark.
No one said they would LOSE if they got sued, but make no mistake, they would be sued and that would cost them money. It costs nothing to change the names in the subs.

dan2026

No one said they would LOSE if they got sued, but make no mistake, they would be sued and that would cost them money. It costs nothing to change the names in the subs.

You cannot seriously tell me that some musician would sue because he happened to share a name with some anime character. He would have to be a moron and his lawyer would tell him so.

Ok its a minor dumb annoyance. But seriously Crunchyroll, have some freaking balls and check your legal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom