• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

IBO is currently on pace to be the first good Gundam series we've gotten after the failures that were SEED Destiny, 00, and Age (Haven't seen Build Fighters, Try or Reconguista before people ask). I went into it with little expectations and it has exceeded them stride after stride.

Would you recommend any of those for someone like me who isn't particularily into giant robots, or any other similarily-themed series for that matter?

I guess I was probably misjudging mecha shows since I thought they were a lot more focused on the robots, but IBO has shown me that there's still room for politics and interesting situations and characters outside of that. For example, gearing the rebels complain about Gallarhorn spending so much expensive ammo to attack them at the start was really interesting for me since I haven't seen too many shows where the parts involved in a confrontation actually have to think about resource management. Too bad the plot then proceeded to feed them whatever they needed right when they needed it, because I would've liked to see Mika having to conserve thruster fuel or having to fight for a while without the bit of armor he had to shed during his battle with Turbine's mechas.

duckroll

Its more like Battle of the Planets. A recut anime.

At least thats what the original was.

Battle of the Planets was strictly Gatchaman material though, Voltron is more like Robotech. The first season and main toys everyone is most familiar with is from one anime show, but it had subsequent seasons and toy designs which were taken from other unrelated anime.

Narag

Doamaiger-D 1-2
"These subs are some of the"

worst formatted subs
I've ever seen​

in my
life.​

Cornbread78

Starting Clannad. Since this is going to be an article piece I might vomit a little bit about each episode as I go on here.

Actually, never mind. I'll start tomorrow since my eyes are broken today. I have the imprint of horizontal bars burnt into my retina or something. I don't even know.

Yes, greatness awaits you my friend.

Would you recommend any of those for someone like me who isn't particularily into giant robots, or any other similarily-themed series for that matter?

I guess I was probably misjudging mecha shows since I thought they were a lot more focused on the robots, but IBO has shown me that there's still room for politics and interesting situations and characters outside of that. For example, gearing the rebels complain about Gallarhorn spending so much expensive ammo to attack them at the start was really interesting for me since I haven't seen too many shows where the parts involved in a confrontation actually have to think about resource management. Too bad the plot then proceeded to feed them whatever they needed right when they needed it, because I would've liked to see Mika having to conserve thruster fuel or having to fight for a while without the bit of armor he had to shed during his battle with Turbine's mechas.

The three shows I mentioned you mean? I wouldn't recommend them to anyone regardless on your thoughts on Mecha shows. If you want a good mech show for a non-mech fan, I'd suggest hitting up Nman58. He could likely give you a better answer then I could.

So...I'm hoping the eye designs in Haruchika are explained tomorrow...
maxresdefault.jpg
Because otherwise they look really odd and out of place with the simple character designs.

Also they look dumb.

I'm going to binge so much anime once i get out the hospital.

Because that's the only thing I'll be allowed to do.

Glad to hear you'll be getting out soon.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Quasar

Prince of Stride 1 - So that's what Stride is...kind of a mixture of parkour and relay running. doesn't really have any characters that are likely to get me back

Quasar

Battle of the Planets was strictly Gatchaman material though, Voltron is more like Robotech. The first season and main toys everyone is most familiar with is from one anime show, but it had subsequent seasons and toy designs which were taken from other unrelated anime.

True. Second season, vehicle Voltron, is a different unrelated show.

Never realised that. I figured one was just a spin off of the other and that both ran for more than a season. Of course I only have vague memories of them, especially vehicle Volton.

I'm going to binge so much anime once i get out the hospital.

Because that's the only thing I'll be allowed to do.

Ah, I've been there. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

So...I'm hoping the eye designs in Haruchika are explained tomorrow...

Because otherwise they look really odd and out of place with the simple character designs.

Also they look dumb.

It's just part and parcel of one of the most offensively ugly shows I've seen.

Clov

Thanks for all the impressions of Dagashikashi's source material! I think I'll give the anime a shot.

Line_HTX

The Big O 13

So that was the ending of the show when it was cancelled? That's limp. I expect the three year gap will produce a Code Geass R2-like first episode. I've heard the second half gets fucking weird, and it was already starting to dip there in the last two episodes.

From what I remember, the only reason why it continued was because Cartoon Network helped Sunrise in producing S2, and if my memory serves me right, it finally appeared years later on the Adult Swim Action block. It was mentioned in the opening credits of 14, I think...

It came out of nowhere, honestly. When I finally saw the promo I freaked the fuck out, lol

Like I said, at first I didn't like it, but thinking about what went down made me like S2 more. I'm just glad they continued it to begin with.

The big o still sounds like a sex and the city term to me.

Oh you, Woof!

duckroll

Is there a site that's similar to that sakuga site but for 3d animation?

Not that I'm aware of, but if you want to see some outstanding examples of 3D animation in anime, I would recommend:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (TV) - All openings
Code Geass Akito the Exiled (OVA) - Mecha action scenes
Majestic Prince (TV) - Mecha action scenes
Black Rock Shooter (TV) - Action battle scenes

And... the recent Animator Expo short Cassette Girl: http://animatorexpo.com/cassettegirl/

Thoraxes

what show is this?

i want to watch it

While I know nothing about the show other the the main visual I saw and the fact that it has Chiaki Omigawa in it, it's the poor-man's Euphonium. It's called Haruchika iirc.

I think it's about saving their band club or something, idk.

While I know nothing about the show other the the main visual I saw and the fact that it has Chiaki Omigawa in it, it's the poor-man's Euphonium. It's called Haruchika iirc.

It's supposed to be a mystery series. The trailer I saw had music on the chalkboard written in blood.

Mailbox

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 1-13 (end)

I thought this was gonna be crap.
Honestly, i didn't know what this really was before i watched it.

Turns out its aincrad season 2 without the horrid pacing issues. (or at least mitigated)
I quite enjoyed watching that. felt nice to have an RPG themed anime without it being about someone who is thrown into that world.

The amount of hestia service was surprising though. Could have used less of that, tbh.

Either way, better than expected. Now onto other anime...
Oh shit... my uni semester just started T_T
Hopefully i can still watch some anime in between class stuff :S

Not that I'm aware of, but if you want to see some outstanding examples of 3D animation in anime, I would recommend:

And... the recent Animator Expo short Cassette Girl: http://animatorexpo.com/cassettegirl/

Almost all of Orange's recent 3DCG mecha-related works have been nice to look at. Akito the Exiled, Majestic Prince, Fafner: Exodus, and the earlier parts of Comet Lucifer.

I think this season they're working on Active Raid and Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle, so I'm fairly excited for the former and will at least give the latter a shot.

The blood is from the victims who clawed their own eyes out after watching yet another PA Works show with terrible digital composite. Amirite?

I keep saying this, but this looks to be the ugliest PA Works show yet. Really sad. Eccentric Family shows the studio is capable of more if they have a director with a strong vision guiding them.

duckroll

Almost all of Orange's recent 3DCG mecha-related works have been nice to look at. Akito the Exiled, Majestic Prince, Fafner: Exodus, and the earlier parts of Comet Lucifer.

I think this season they're working on Active Raid and Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle, so I'm fairly excited for the former and will at least give the latter a shot.

They also worked on the CG for Arise, including the new GitS movie, which had some REALLY nice scenes of CG action blending together with 2D character action.

Thoraxes

It's supposed to be a mystery series. The trailer I saw had music on the chalkboard written in blood.
They should put more of that stuff in the synopses I read then! I went and pruned down a list a while ago and there wasn't much mention of a mystery series aspect to it.

I heard people liked the 3D in the latest season of Fafner too.
3D animation from anime? Just watch the battle scenes from Etotama and you're done.
This too.

duckroll

They should put more of that stuff in the synopses I read then! I went and pruned down a list a while ago and there wasn't much mention of a mystery series aspect to it.

The real mystery is why PA Works shows can be so ugly most of the time even when there are talented people working on them. Amirite?

I feel like you're forgetting a show duck, my man.

Starts with a G...

...ends with an O.

4 letters.

...I go on and on about it.

duckroll

Orange is also credited for co-production on Dimension W and Norn9.

In less than a decade, Eiji Inomoto has really taken his studio far. Mega respect for the guy. I remember the old days when their website was barely more than just a text listing of their tiny portfolio at the time which was mostly work for Satelight in Noein and Macross Frontier. Inomoto was so proud of their work he even listed the specific episodes they worked on and how many cuts they did for each of those episodes.

Doesn't Concrete Revolutio have CGI? I think at least the Spider robots in the last epidode were 3d but I'm not really sure.

I guess it's a good thing that I'm not able to tell if it's CGI or 2D. The most annoying part of CGI is whenever it's super noticable and takes you out of the moment.

Like whenever a car appears in 99% of anime.

duckroll

Animating vehicles is much easier in 3D than in 2D because of consistency. Since it can be replicated decently in 3D, that takes the load off the production so 2D animators can rush other scenes instead.

pbayne

Animating vehicles is much easier in 3D than in 2D because of consistency. Since it can be replicated decently in 3D, that takes the load off the production so 2D animators can rush other scenes instead.

Hey you can always spend 7 years drawing it by hand like Redline.

Thoraxes

That's true; there's not much point to owning something physically if it's not very good quality. While their packaging remains cheap to this day, thankfully their video quality has improved since their earlier days of releasing BDs. I'm still somewhat cautious about picking up their titles, but not quite as much as I was before. Some of their 12 episode, one disc BD titles actually have been decent, which surprised me greatly.

While they're definitely towards the bottom, they're not even the worst company in the business. Mind you, that's only because Media Blasters, the tapeworm of the North American anime industry, somehow still exists.

Henneko was actually okay, minus some minor banding issues (that was a BD50, right?). I'm kinda curious as to how Shirobako will turn out. I actually have to remember to order that soon.

Otherwise, I decided i'd only buy Sentai/Funimation stuff when it's on the cheap or something I really want (like the P4A BD CE with dual-audio). I'm mostly going to just stick to AoA, Ponycan, and NISA for the full-priced purchases.

I'm excited for the Zeta Gundam release soon because they mentioned that it's the first in that series that moved to the 35mm film (or that they have 35mm film for), and they'll be using BD50's for it, iirc (not too sure where I read that last one, but I think it's what I read). Shawne mentioned that whatever high-quality source materials exist, they will have access to it for the releases. The first release is going to have three discs too!

Theonik

So about this Towa no Quon thing. What episode am I supposed to be up to and when do we watch a new one.

Quasar

What I'm confused a bit a about is they already made Tari Tari. That said I'm still watching as its rare that PA Works makes an anime I dislike. At this point for me they have a better record than KyoAni.

phaze

good things this season:
-Strike Witches event announcing S3 next month
-

Zhukov hype !

This is the one on Eastern Front right ?

Does Dagashikashi have good source material? There's been a lot of talk about it, I've noticed.

From what I've read it's dull, brought down by its unrelenting focus on sweets, and mostly unfunny.
So about this Towa no Quon thing. What episode am I supposed to be up to and when do we watch a new one.

Since everyone except one mad Admiral seem to be watching it one 45 minute ep a day, today's the 3rd one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom