• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

So, I've been watching Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans after I heard from someone that it didn't require knowledge of the franchise to enjoy, and it's been way better than what I initially expected.

I really like how there're several scenes that implement "show, don't tell" perfectly, such as when we learn Mikazuki can't read in the context of a conversation that didn't feel like exposition; the mechanic guy passing some written information about the gundam to Mika and going "oh" after a beat felt way more organic than having either one outright state that Miketsuki couldn't read. There were a couple more scenes like that, but the only other one I can remember off the top of my head is the one near the end of the latest episode (#13) when Mika kisses Kuudelia.

Orga kind of reminds me of Kamina in how he puts on a cool front in order to inspire his comrades even when he might not be entirely in favor of something (such as the funeral they ended up holding in EP13). At first I thought his relationship with Mika was going to mirror Kamina's with Simon, but then I realized I couldn't be farther away from the truth and that Mika's actually a kid who has forced to grow up by the environment he was in, and he's more than capable of handling things himself without being downright invincible, as shown in how he reflects on a space pirate's words that Mika might actually enjoy killing people and how he sometimes needs other people to snap him out of going on a murderous rampage.

Also, I freaking love shows that segue into their ending song/credits like this one and JoJo, but Gundam feels even better since many episodes actually continue well into the ending, and only transition to the ED graphics once the episode's scenes are done. That's really, really cool IMO.

The OP, on the other hand, reminds me too much of Log Horizon's (probably the same band?), which I also used to skip more often than not.

So, I've been watching Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans after I heard from someone that it didn't require knowledge of the franchise to enjoy, and it's been way better than what I initially expected.

The OP, on the other hand, reminds me too much of Log Horizon's (probably the same band?), which I also used to skip more often than not.

Database was terrible, they should have used Green Tinted Sixties Mind instead

The Big O 13

So that was the ending of the show when it was cancelled? That's limp. I expect the three year gap will produce a Code Geass R2-like first episode. I've heard the second half gets fucking weird, and it was already starting to dip there in the last two episodes.

Starting Clannad. Since this is going to be an article piece I might vomit a little bit about each episode as I go on here.

Actually, never mind. I'll start tomorrow since my eyes are broken today. I have the imprint of horizontal bars burnt into my retina or something. I don't even know.

I really like how there're several scenes that implement "show, don't tell" perfectly, such as when we learn Mikazuki can't read in the context of a conversation that didn't feel like exposition; the mechanic guy passing some written information about the gundam to Mika and going "oh" after a beat felt way more organic than having either one outright state that Miketsuki couldn't read. There were a couple more scenes like that, but the only other one I can remember off the top of my head is the one near the end of the latest episode (#13) when Mika kisses Kuudelia.

Orga kind of reminds me of Kamina in how he puts on a cool front in order to inspire his comrades even when he might not be entirely in favor of something (such as the funeral they ended up holding in EP13). At first I thought his relationship with Mika was going to mirror Kamina's with Simon, but then I realized I couldn't be farther away from the truth and that Mika's actually a kid who has forced to grow up by the environment he was in, and he's more than capable of handling things himself without being downright invincible, as shown in how he reflects on a space pirate's words that Mika might actually enjoy killing people and how he sometimes needs other people to snap him out of going on a murderous rampage.

Also, I freaking love shows that segue into their ending song/credits like this one and JoJo, but Gundam feels even better since many episodes actually continue well into the ending, and only transition to the ED graphics once the episode's scenes are done. That's really, really cool IMO.

IBO is currently on pace to be the first good Gundam series we've gotten after the failures that were SEED Destiny, 00, and Age (Haven't seen Build Fighters, Try or Reconguista before people ask). I went into it with little expectations and it has exceeded them stride after stride.

Man Noragami Aragato has one of the most catchiest Opening song ever.

Holy shit I've been raping the replay button like crazy. It's just that good. It pretty much has one of the best Openings this year.

Narag

wHNb5x1.gif

Backlog season at last

Man Noragami Aragato has one of the most catchiest Opening song ever.

Holy shit I've been raping the replay button like crazy. It's just that good. It pretty much has one of the best Openings this year.

I just couldnt get into it...meanwhile I kept replaying and still replaying the Heavy Object OP, the song is so good.

Well doujins for the series will blow up that's for sure.

That or Galko-chan.

I've never been into Voltron or cared about it but is it an actual anime thing or just aping the style like Avatar? Is it a joint venture? I really don't know.

Does Dagashikashi have good source material? There's been a lot of talk about it, I've noticed.

It's good and silly. There's nothing too extraordinary about it but it does what it does well.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans has been really good so far, never a dull episode. Always had drama or action going on.

Does Dagashikashi have good source material? There's been a lot of talk about it, I've noticed.

Yes, I've read a few chapters, really good stuff. I believe the anime can do a better job at delivery.

16. Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle (Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut)
Lux, a former prince of an empire named Arcadia that was overthrown via a rebellion five years earlier. Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel. Drag-Rides are ancient armored mechanical weapons that have been excavated from ruins all around the world. Lux used to be called the strongest Drag-Knight, but now he's known as the "undefeated weakest" Drag-Knight because he will absolutely not attack in battle. After his duel with Lisesharte, Lux ends up attending the female-only academy that trains royals to be Drag-Knights.

I swear I've heard this exact same summary for a million anime already.

Ah, that's good to hear. It seems like the only discourse I've seen around the show has centered around waifus.

Well, of course. The main girl's design is the most standout thing and every manga chapter's cover page is her playing dressup. That being said, there is a lot of value beyond that.

I swear I've heard this exact same summary for a million anime already.

Ok, I'm calling bullshit. Isn't this the exact same synopsis as Asterix War and Calvary? Am i being tricked?

Your Lie in April - 2

All right, a couple of things.

One, the animation was spectacular...at Kaori's performance in the middle of the episode.

Before and after the performance things looked well...rather cheap to be really honest. :|

Tons of stills, characters looking like blobs at a distance without much movement, etc.

Also, I don't really enjoy it when shows have super meaningful well-paced moments only to immediately transition to super quirky comedy in like a millisecond. It just gives me a sense of mood whiplash.

I do like how there appears to be a decent contrast between Kousei's and Kaori's characters so far, with Kousei having a history of only playing to reach the top due to his mother's control and Kaori just playing for her own enjoyment. So that has me interested.

A better episode than the first one, though I'm still feeling pretty mixed on this show so far.

Just T

Towa no Quon- 2

Didn't really enjoy this one. Kaoru was very annoying. Also the kids not believing him surprised me a bit since everyone there should have abilities and there's a girl going around talking to animals. Very different from plants of course but come on, they couldn't believe it a little bit in that setting?

Hopefully the next ep is better.

duckroll

I don't think they were doubtful of his ability, they were just making fun of him for having a shitty weirdo ability. There's a difference!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Watching Sailor Moon Crystal, I can't help but notice Tuxedo Mask says he has no powers, but then jumps 50 feet into the air 2 episodes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom