• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgusting.

Media Blasters was dead to me around the time they laid off 60% of its employees and became heavily reliant on Hentai. At that point, I knew they no longer had anything noteworthy to offer.

While I think Sentai is the worst of the NA companies with regards to video quality, I do respect them for going after titles that have a low chance of succeeding or proven bombs in the past, (Higurashi springs to mind).

I can only hope they don't screw up Higurashi's release when they finally get to it. Can't be any worse than Geneon's release anyway...right?

I wish sentai released Phi Brain season 3! I miss it, and also they better release Tribe Cool Crew on BD! Id do anything to see it in quality above SD resolution :(

Anyway picked up more naruto shippuden which now exceeds my naruto shippuden shelf :(, Im still just three or four volumes behind then Ill be current.
CX_ghM6WkAAscoy.jpg

Squishy3

While I think Sentai is the worst of the NA companies with regards to video quality, I do respect them for going after titles that have a low chance of succeeding or proven bombs in the past, (Higurashi springs to mind).
It's amazing that they actually had the balls to release Gintama here. Also dubbing the Benizakura movie

Also Narag, I got around to making my anime New Years resolution list. You can add it on when you are able.

In no particular order...

Finish watching Soul Eater
Finish watching Kekkai Sensen
Finish watching El-Hazard: The Wanderers
Knights of Sidonia S2
Summer Wars
Spice and Wolf S2
Baccano
My Neighbour Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of the Fireflies
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Shuten Douji.
Watching all of the Dragon Ball Flims and specials (The Z ones at least)

Clov

It's amazing that they actually had the balls to release Gintama here. Also dubbing the Benizakura movie

Not the balls to finish releasing it here though, since they only put out 49 episodes on DVD+ the Benizakura movie on Blu-Ray.

Since someone mentioned Media Blasters and UY, is AnimEgo still a thing?

Yes they are! They've been releasing some of their titles on Blu-Ray recently through Kickstarter. They did Bubblegum Crisis as their first BD, and will be releasing Otaku no Video on BD soon. In addition, they have plans for Kickstarting BDs of Riding Bean and AD Police Files.

I was very happy with their release of Bubblegum Crisis, so I'm very excited to get a copy of their Otaku no Video BD!

John Blade

Since someone mentioned Media Blasters and UY, is AnimEgo still a thing?

AnimEIgo is still alive. They do crowfounding right now for Otaku no Video Otaking Edition for Blu-ray. They release Bubblegum Crisis in Blu-ray and from what I heard, it's worth the money.

jman2050

If it weren't for based Koyomimonogatari saving the day I might not watch a single show this season.

That is pretty bad.

Chindogg

Yes they are! They've been releasing some of their titles on Blu-Ray recently through Kickstarter. They did Bubblegum Crisis as their first BD, and will be releasing Otaku no Video on BD soon. In addition, they have plans for Kickstarting BDs of Riding Bean and AD Police Files.

I was very happy with their release of Bubblegum Crisis, so I'm very excited to get a copy of their Otaku no Video BD!

AnimeEgo is indeed still a thing but they've long since stopped licensing anime. I think they do live-action films nowadays.

AnimEIgo is still alive. They do crowfounding right now for Otaku no Video Otaking Edition for Blu-ray. They release Bubblegum Crisis in Blu-ray and from what I heard, it's worth the money.

Ah neat.

I wonder if they still have the UY license. I'd love to get that set on DVD now. Back in they day they charged $40 for a VHS with only 2 episodes, or $80 for a laserdisc with 4 episodes.

Clov

Ah neat.

I wonder if they still have the UY license. I'd love to get that set on DVD now. Back in they day they charged $40 for a VHS with only 2 episodes, or $80 for a laserdisc with 4 episodes.

They no longer have the license to UY unfortunately, and the founder isn't sure if they'd be able to do the TV series right now. However, during a Q&A at a con, when asked he did say that the UY movies could be possible.

BluWacky

How Media Blasters has turned to shit? Louzy Sentai releases? Mourning the loss of Geneon, ADV and Bandai? Quite a few options to be had.

But Sentai are ADV. Always have been.

Except, I suppose, where ADV would shovel out vast numbers of licenses with relatively decent production values, now they do things relatively bare-bones instead.

But Sentai are ADV. Always have been.

Except, I suppose, where ADV would shovel out vast numbers of licenses with relatively decent production values, now they do things relatively bare-bones instead.

Yeah. that's what I mean when I include ADV. Stuff at a decent budget.

John Blade

Sigh...kinda sad that certain show won't be re release now because of the lost license. Suck right now. I guess I am a bit lucky as I try to get them on the use market when it's cheap.

Clov

Sigh...kinda sad that certain show won't be re release now because of the lost license. Suck right now. I guess I am a bit lucky as I try to get them on the use market when it's cheap.

There's almost always a chance for a lost license to be picked up by another company. See Higurashi for example; the individual DVD volumes released by Geneon did terrible. The complete DVD collection distributed by Funimation did terrible. Yet here Sentai is, releasing a complete BD collection for whatever reason.

It's a weird industry.

John Blade

There's almost always a chance for a lost license to be picked up by another company. See Higurashi for example; the individual DVD volumes released by Geneon did terrible. The complete DVD collection distributed by Funimation did terrible. Yet here Sentai is, releasing a complete BD collection for whatever reason.

It's a weird industry.

Yea...it's weird. I kinda wish You're Under Arrest and Maison Ikkoku get pick up and release in Blu-ray. But that is still a dream and difficult. For me, I only got myself a custom Blu-ray Maison Ikkoku release which is in Blu-ray but modify quite well with the eng sub plus the original Viz dub in it. I guess that is the only way I will get it for now.

Hanayamata 11-12

Well, that was pointless. I'm not a fan of BIG DRAMA - "Oops, never mind" endings. Yet another example of something that wouldn't have needed to happen if people had actually talked to each other.

The final yosakoi performance was kind of lame too. I was hoping for at least one really good depiction of yosakoi in the series, but the camera spent the majority of the performance focused on the audience and random other stuff while the parts of the performance they did show were largely recycled from the OP. When I've seen performances like those in Shounen Hollywood's final episode, or Sound Euphonium's final episode, or even the Stride race in Prince of Stride Alternative's first episode, which all concentrate on depicting the actual performance in a visually attractive and engaging manner, this just comes off as cheap. Can't expect me to connect with the characters' love of yosakoi if you don't really show what makes yosakoi attractive.

Ah well. The traditional Japanese costumes were great.

It's a weird industry.

I think the BD's, the far more healthy climate in NA and the growing popularity of Higurashi through the manga and VN allowed for the anime series to get a second lease on life here in NA.

On the subject of, Higurashi might be the best example of how badly Geneon was doing by 2007. DVD menu screen's were just the cover of that particular volume with a shitty filter, the selection arrows weren't lined up with the menu choices sometimes. The english credits were a separate menu section rather then in the actual credits or at the end of a DVD. The english dub was crap, coming nowhere close to the original Japanese that in the case of Mela Lee and Grant George, is their worst performance. And this might just only be on my end but the DVD's fall out of the slots if moved too swiftly (IE moderate speed).

I'm still glad that I got it for the price I did but still, rarity does not excuse shoddy work like that.

Clov

I think the BD's, the far more healthy climate in NA and the growing popularity of Higurashi through the manga and VN allowed for the anime series to get a second lease on life here in NA.

On the subject of, Higurashi might be the best example of how badly Geneon was doing by 2007. DVD menu screen's were just the cover of that particular volume with a shitty filter, the selection arrows weren't lined up with the menu choices sometimes. The english credits were a separate menu section rather then in the actual credits or at the end of a DVD. The english dub was crap, coming nowhere close to the original Japanese that in the case of Mela Lee and Grant George, is their worst performance. And this might just only be on my end but the DVD's fall out of the slots if moved too swiftly (IE moderate speed).

I'm still glad that I got it for the price I did but still, rarity does not excuse shoddy work like that.

That might explain in part why Sentai's picked up Higuarshi. They might have gotten a good price on it, too.

It's a pity we had to lose Geneon, since they had a pretty great catalog of titles. I wish they were still around if only so that Paradise Kiss would still be in print.

That might explain in part why Sentai's picked up Higuarshi. They might have gotten a good price on it, too.

It's a pity we had to lose Geneon, since they had a pretty great catalog of titles. I wish they were still around if only so that Paradise Kiss would still be in print.

Honestly the bigger lose IMO is Bandai. They had the best catalogue out of everyone and then the Japanese side pulled the plug on them. And we are still waiting for Funimation and Sentai to get the materials to re-release everything.

John Blade

Yea...it's kinda suck when Geneon went under. They got quite a few good anime license and they release are really good if you manage to get them. Hell, any of my Geneon title I own, they quality is pretty good.

Clov

Honestly the bigger lose IMO is Bandai. They had the best catalogue out of everyone and then the Japanese side pulled the plug on them. And we are still waiting for Funimation and Sentai to get the materials to re-release everything.

Yeah, definitely a pity what happened to Bandai Entertainment as well. They at least managed to put out some good BDs before they went under. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up their GitS2 BD, but by the time I even knew about it it was out of stock everywhere. At least the Japanese BD has subs for that one! Wish I got their Girl Who Leapt Through Time BD too, but I'm sure that someone will pick that one up again (likely Funimation).

Line_HTX

Yea...it's kinda suck when Geneon went under. They got quite a few good anime license and they release are really good if you manage to get them. Hell, any of my Geneon title I own, they quality is pretty good.

Yep, I miss them too. Their packaging was usually solid quality and the dubbing was normally pretty good as opposed to ADV.

But really, the biggest loss was Bandai. So many licenses lost and they got the best quality.

Clov

Bandai messed up their K-ON release though. lossy audio :(

Yeah, that was disappointing. Video quality was good, though. I bet if they were around long enough to do a complete BD collection, they would have fixed the lossy audio issue.

tuffy

Yep, I miss them too. Their packaging was usually solid quality and the dubbing was normally pretty good as opposed to ADV.

But really, the biggest loss was Bandai. So many licenses lost and they got the best quality.
Both Geneon and Bandai would often outsource their dubs to the same companies. That usually meant Animaze or Bang Zoom and a good dub, but sometimes they'd outsource to Odex and we'd get something unfortunate.
Bandai messed up their K-ON release though. lossy audio :(
Sentai fixed K-On's audio in their release, thankfully.

John Blade

Now that we discuss of lost anime company, I am wondering of list of anime which will never re release to the market because of the lost of license. Right now, the few I know are

Gunsmith Cat's
You're Under Arrest OVA and season 1
Maison Ikkoku

I guess, they're quite a few which i never heard yet. I guess download or streaming is the best choice now but still, suck.

Both Geneon and Bandai would often outsource their dubs to the same companies. That usually meant Animaze or Bang Zoom and a good dub, but sometimes they'd outsource to Odex and we'd get something unfortunate.

Sentai fixed K-On's audio in their release, thankfully.

They only outsourced to Odex when the company was starting to be in serious trouble financially around 2006.

And Bang Zoom getting a show to dub doesn't automatically mean the show will be good. Higurashi's dub was done by Bang Zoom and that wasn't good in the slightest. Heck, Higurashi isn't even the worst dub Bang Zoom has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom