• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

What I'm confused a bit a about is they already made Tari Tari.

Tari Tari had a very different focus, though. Haruchika is a mystery series with a music club background; Tari Tari was a pure underdog sports narrative. I get the impression Haruchika is a little more Hyouka-esque, essentially, except the mysteries appear to be actual detective-style mysteries (the first story, for instance, is apparently about a spate of poisonings at the school).

(Tari Tari was also an anime original, while Haruchika is a LN adaptation).

duckroll

Tari Tari had a very different focus, though. Haruchika is a mystery series with a music club background; Tari Tari was a pure underdog sports narrative. I get the impression Haruchika is a little more Hyouka-esque, essentially, except the mysteries appear to be actual detective-style mysteries (the first story, for instance, is apparently about a spate of poisonings at the school).

(Tari Tari was also an anime original, while Haruchika is a LN adaptation).

They were probably poisoned by the blandness of the designs. Amirite?

BluWacky

They were probably poisoned by the blandness of the designs. Amirite?

Badum tish.

In all seriousness, it's amazing how a character design can completely change your impression of a story. Here's one of the LN covers:

f272faa5799c9ea2fa5e72843aba334a1433508353_full.jpg

If the show looked like that, angular and josei-esque, I'd immediately think more of it.

(well, I probably wouldn't, as it would still have that terrible budget-tier PA Works sheen on it, but I'd definitely think it was a BIT better!)

Cornbread78

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 1-13 (end)
I thought this was gonna be crap.
Honestly, i didn't know what this really was before i watched it.
Turns out its aincrad season 2 without the horrid pacing issues. (or at least mitigated)
I quite enjoyed watching that. felt nice to have an RPG themed anime without it being about someone who is thrown into that world.
The amount of hestia service was surprising though. Could have used less of that, tbh.
Either way, better than expected. Now onto other anime...
Oh shit... my uni semester just started T_T
Hopefully i can still watch some anime in between class stuff :S

Yeah, it was pretty good overall as a prologue to a much larger story it appears. That fight in ep.9 was great stuff!

I'm going to binge so much anime once i get out the hospital.
Because that's the only thing I'll be allowed to do.

Well, thankfully, you're now in recovery mode. Link your MAL and we'll pick your Playlist so you don't have to decide, lol.

duckroll

Towa no Quon - Episode 3

The most visually impressive part of the episode is the flashback sequence storyboarded by Shinji Higuchi. It's too bad they couldn't get someone like Shinya Ohira or Shinji Hashimoto to animate it though, since the style would have been perfect for them. One thing I really do like about the show's direction is how it doesn't really see the need to spell anything out or have characters say things which are already obvious through the visuals. It feels a lot more natural. It's pretty clear at this point that the resources of the show are not being allocated evenly though, since the quality of everything from the action to the art and animation has dropped off significantly since the first episode.

The story, while well directed, definitely feels like a been there done that thing, which explains why I have such a non-impression of it despite watching this before. Everything that happens feels like something I've seen or read before somewhere else, and often done better. But since we don't really have much superhero -anime- which doesn't flat out suck, I'll take what I can get. Lol.

Ascheroth

My Saturdays and Sundays are usually super packed while the weekdays have nothing. this season seems to be the opposite.

Ha, same here. Saturday still seems to have the most of the shows I'm checking out, but it's way more spread out this season. Usually it's only Gintama during the week and a big pile of nothing otherwise.

pbayne

Love Stage 1-10

Finally got around to watching this. Big fan of the manga and just a good adaption all-around. Character designs were very well translated to the anime and all the VA's were pretty spot on.

Obviously the more explicit content was toned down a bit which is understandable but I liked the artistic spins they put on a lot of the raunchier scenes.

For people who have read the Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) manga, is there a good stopping point?

It's seems to likely be 1cour. Then again from what I see there's only 34 chapters in total.

Qurupeke

For people who have read the Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) manga, is there a good stopping point?

It's seems to likely be 1cour. Then again from what I see there's only 34 chapters in total.

If it's 34 chapters only, they'll just adapt all of it. 2-3 chapters per episode shouldn't be really hard.

Tuck

Shirobako - 3
I like how the director had them all break their backs to redo a scene, making it far more emotional
cringey
than it had any right to be.

Liked this episode much more than the first two. I'd probably relate more if they were making something other than a shitty magical girls anime, but whatever. Its neat seeing the process behind the animation, though I dunno how realistic it is.

Cornbread78

QhFhfEP.jpg

KONOSUBA
The life of Kazuma Sato (Kazuma), a shut-in that loves games, ended all too soon due to a traffic accident(!?) ... or so it was supposed to be. However, when he opens his eyes, a beautiful girl claiming to be a goddess, Aqua, declares: "Hey, I got a good deal for you. Would you like to go to another world? You can take one thing of your choice along with you." ".....Then, I choose you." In another world much like an RPG game, enjoy the longed-for life of an adventurer! Aim to become the hero! Soon after getting worked up as such, the first obstacle befalling Kazuma who reincarnated into another world... ...was finding money to live, of all things! Furthermore... Kazuma's troubles continue as he ends up having to form a party with the three highly skilled yet tremendously unfortunate trio being Aqua the troublemaker of a bad goddess, Megumin the mage who has 8th grade syndrome, Darkness the female knight who can't stop fantasizing. And, one day, Kazuma's party finally is noticed by the evil overlord's army---!? Which way is tomorrow for the other world life spent by Kazuma, an average adventurer!?

Is this one super generic? That art reminds me of all those jrpgs I love. Oh and my favorite mage from Tales of Hearts is on the right, lol...

Ha, same here. Saturday still seems to have the most of the shows I'm checking out, but it's way more spread out this season. Usually it's only Gintama during the week and a big pile of nothing otherwise.

To be honest this season I wanna work on trimming the fat. I watch way too many shows at a time. Probably not gonna happen considering how I'm already checking this:

Prince of Stride Alternative 01

Went into it with a bit of skepticism since it is based on an Otome. Episode 1 however was pretty damn good. The colours in this POP. The speed and aggressiveness of the races is quite cool to watch too. Basically Stride is parkour racing from what I understand. Pretty solid start.

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 13 – The Valentine Knows Part 1
CYCr75rWQAADNxg.png

Yes its back and has a good valentines plot to show. Enjoyed the delinquent stuff
especially Sunahara being back, but please dont be bad

Also the candy stuff, Wakatake wants so much.

Towa no Quon - Episode 3

The most visually impressive part of the episode is the flashback sequence storyboarded by Shinji Higuchi. It's too bad they couldn't get someone like Shinya Ohira or Shinji Hashimoto to animate it though, since the style would have been perfect for them. One thing I really do like about the show's direction is how it doesn't really see the need to spell anything out or have characters say things which are already obvious through the visuals. It feels a lot more natural. It's pretty clear at this point that the resources of the show are not being allocated evenly though, since the quality of everything from the action to the art and animation has dropped off significantly since the first episode.

The story, while well directed, definitely feels like a been there done that thing, which explains why I have such a non-impression of it despite watching this before. Everything that happens feels like something I've seen or read before somewhere else, and often done better. But since we don't really have much superhero -anime- which doesn't flat out suck, I'll take what I can get. Lol.

Duckroll how can I tell your feelings over the show if you won't tell me in a scale whether you feel rock emotion?

Ascheroth

Duckroll how can I tell your feelings over the show if you won't tell me in a scale whether you feel rock emotion?

This always gets me way more than it should.

Prince of Stride Alternative - 01

You know, this was actually pretty damn enjoyable. I like the colors and the soundtrack and the races were intense to look at.

TUSR

Banned
QhFhfEP.jpg

KONOSUBA
The life of Kazuma Sato (Kazuma), a shut-in that loves games, ended all too soon due to a traffic accident(!?) ... or so it was supposed to be. However, when he opens his eyes, a beautiful girl claiming to be a goddess, Aqua, declares: "Hey, I got a good deal for you. Would you like to go to another world? You can take one thing of your choice along with you." ".....Then, I choose you." In another world much like an RPG game, enjoy the longed-for life of an adventurer! Aim to become the hero! Soon after getting worked up as such, the first obstacle befalling Kazuma who reincarnated into another world... ...was finding money to live, of all things! Furthermore... Kazuma's troubles continue as he ends up having to form a party with the three highly skilled yet tremendously unfortunate trio being Aqua the troublemaker of a bad goddess, Megumin the mage who has 8th grade syndrome, Darkness the female knight who can't stop fantasizing. And, one day, Kazuma's party finally is noticed by the evil overlord's army---!? Which way is tomorrow for the other world life spent by Kazuma, an average adventurer!?

Is this one super generic? That art reminds me of all those jrpgs I love. Oh and my favorite mage from Tales of Hearts is on the right, lol...
You only want to watch this because she looks like ALO Asuna.

Ascheroth

KONOSUBA
snip

Depends on what you see as generic. As far as I remember it's mainly a comedy (and harem, but that should be obvious from the picture alone) and doesn't really take itself seriously.

Cornbread78

You only want to watch this because she looks like ALO Asuna.

You don't know that. I like the Beryl look alike there on the side, lol

it's almost the same premise too. video game loner must play with girls and gets transported into a fantasy world. OH THE HUMANITY.

Depends on what you see as generic. As far as I remember it's mainly a comedy and doesn't really take itself seriously.

I can accept that. Love the fantasy /RPG worlds. I hope Crunchy picks this up.

Love Stage 1-10

Finally got around to watching this. Big fan of the manga and just a good adaption all-around. Character designs were very well translated to the anime and all the VA's were pretty spot on.

Obviously the more explicit content was toned down a bit which is understandable but I liked the artistic spins they put on a lot of the raunchier scenes.

I loved their voices. Ill eventually read the manga when it concludes.

Ascheroth

Gintama - 304

cNInDKy.jpg

Don't mess with the Yorozuya

A new Opening after the break, and a great one at that. DOES does it again, it seems. The aesthetics are also pretty damn fitting, there's 'blood' everywhere.

Speaking of blood, at lot was spilled this episode. Like, A LOT. I can't get over how brutal Gitama can get when it's in serious mode. And the fights were great, just raw intensity.
Lots of flashbacks interwoven in the battle and Gintoki, Takasugi and Katsuras past starts getting unveiled.

Also, Yato sibling bonding is dangerous.

Not sure how I feel about the new ending, I'll probably need to hear it a few times more.

duckroll

The fact is, I have thought deeply about this and my conclusion is that rocks don't actually feel any emotion, regardless of whether they are regular rock emotions or burning rock emotions. They're just rocks.

Best as I can tell, they are actual novels. The author, Sei Hatsuno, is a member of the Honkaku (Orthodox) Mystery Writers Club of Japan, a group of writers who are committed to writing traditional fair-play mysteries.

Aye. So I've got a bit more hope it might be something decent in regards to story. PVs looked real bad to me but I'll probably check out an episode or two.

What I find fascinating about Haruchika is that from what I've been hearing around, there's an unusual love triangle in the novels. I'll spoiler this just in case though.

Apparently both of the main duo of the show are in love with the teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom