• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Jack again with anime knowledge

nmwe9cx.jpg

My Neighbor Not-Totoro

e_i

So, Myriad Colors Phantom World has a twin tailed purple haired loli. I didn't see her in any of the art.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh it has a childhood promise too.

Jesus.
This looks so bad I might hate watch it for a bit like I did with Amagami Brilliant Kanye West

Kanye and Fitty's Roller Coaster Tycoon was at least funny for the names alone.

Puruzi

Banned
wait no, before I decide that phantom world is aots

is the blonde a tsundere

because fuck this show if she is tbh

Phatmac

Glad to have Gintama back after being absent last week. The fight scenes were great between the Yato siblings was short buterm not over yet. The real battle between Gintoki and Takasugi was brutal and filled with drama from well done flashbacks. Every time sensei is shown I get sad since so nice yet met a brutal end. The OP is kind of disappointing since it's recycled footage with ano alright song. The ED isn't as good as the last one, but it's still good.

phaze

Towa no Quon 03

I giggled when early on there was a scene that was eerily reminiscent of that Shirou one but when it came to it, the execution and the massive shift in the artstyle made Quon's flashback very memorable. Good stuff. The episode itself was an improvement over the previous one, as this time the episodic mutant case was more of an afterthought and the show focused more on fleshing out three characters from the main cast by having all the four backstories played out in the confused, dreamlike nature. I'm also glad that it also avoided the soapish plot of brother and sister on the opposing sides of the barricade.

Defuser

Amagi Brillant Park, Chunnibyou, Myraid Colors Phantom World...All this trash KyoAni shows always have this kind of similar drawing designs and colors, kinda easy to see whether it's good or not.

duckroll

Prince of Stride Alternative - Episode 1

Shit that was actually really enjoyable! Some of the humor was a bit too weird for me, like how Fujiwara was being a total creepster molesting well toned legs, but overall the concept is just so crazy and executed with such flair that it's hard not to be taken in. The direction, the art, the colors, the fonts, the graphic design, and the music all come together really well to present one crazy concept in an entertaining way. Stride makes no sense at all, but it's taken at face value and considered a normal thing in this world, and the rules behind definitely feel more like a videogame than reality, but that's also what makes it really fun. I think the show did a really good job of communicating the nuances in the strategy, rules, and layout of the game without being overly talkie. There's really good visual design throughout too. I love the overlays and logos.

Puruzi

Banned
Amagi Brillant Park, Chunnibyou, Myraid Colors Phantom World...All this trash KyoAni shows always have this kind of similar drawing designs and colors, kinda easy to see whether it's good or not.

but they're the best kyoani shows

Amagi was fun. Chunni was OK, but season 2 took a dive. I'm interested in seeing what Phantom World has to offer. Aside from the obvious.

Beyond the Boundary so bad that people don't want to remember it.

Clov

Henneko was actually okay, minus some minor banding issues (that was a BD50, right?). I'm kinda curious as to how Shirobako will turn out. I actually have to remember to order that soon.

Otherwise, I decided i'd only buy Sentai/Funimation stuff when it's on the cheap or something I really want (like the P4A BD CE with dual-audio). I'm mostly going to just stick to AoA, Ponycan, and NISA for the full-priced purchases.

I'm excited for the Zeta Gundam release soon because they mentioned that it's the first in that series that moved to the 35mm film (or that they have 35mm film for), and they'll be using BD50's for it, iirc (not too sure where I read that last one, but I think it's what I read). Shawne mentioned that whatever high-quality source materials exist, they will have access to it for the releases. The first release is going to have three discs too!

As far as I know, all of Sentai's 12 episode on one disc releases are on BD-50s. I feel like BD-25s would be pushing it a bit too much.

If you're worried about video quality, it's definitely best to stick with that group, though I'd like to add Discotek as well. The BDs I own by them are all fantastic in terms of video quality. Their BDs are authored by the same company that does NISA (and some PonyCan titles), so it's not surprising. Sometimes their discs even have advantages over the original Japanese release! Jin-Roh for example, is no longer window-boxed on the North American BD.

I wasn't aware that Zeta was mastered on 35mm, but that's great news! The transfer on that one should look amazing. I was concerned about the discs after hearing that the 0079 BDs were on two discs per collection, which I thought was a bit tight. Glad to see that they're giving it space now. Definitely looking forward to adding Zeta to the collection!

It's a shame because I honestly enjoy those drawing designs and colors. I'd be really happy if a KyoAni show with those kinds designs actually told a profound, well-written story with likeable characters.

But of course that's nothing more than a pipe-dream, and even if it came true the show would be criticized just because it had those designs to begin with since they're associated with bad shows that much. Ugh.

Qurupeke

Hey, people, wait until the season is over. Phantom World may end up telling a strong story, with a lot of good action and character development.
Who am I kidding.

Moonlight

Banned
KyoAni has pumped out the exact same OP for their shows since Chuunibyou. The only deviation has been Free!, I think. They're all just really dryly told, extremely functional things.

Hey, people, wait until the season is over. Phantom World may end up telling a strong story, with a lot of good action and character development.
Who am I kidding.
There will be a lot of 'action' and 'character development'.

BluWacky

Man, that Phantom World OP is dreadful IMO.

A song from the nadir of 90s anison, storyboards cribbed from a bunch of other KyoAni shows (Key show subtitles on characters! A checkerboard filter over people being active like Haruhi!), and the characters basically doing not very much at all. While it's clear it's going to be a fairly light-hearted show save the sunset-drenched flashback sequences (which, again, are ripped straight out of Key's OP), it's not really made me very interested in the show.

Taruranto

BASED KYOANI HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!!!!! 10/10 AOTY

This looks like the kind of show that you know will terrible, everyone knows will be terrible and yet everyone will get hyped and then 7 episodes later will go "OMG, I can't believe how terrible it is!"

See also: Almost every Kyoani LN adaptation.

phaze

Quon is basically Shirou in his ideals and characters, only a bit more powerful

I MUST SAVE EVERYONE BECAUSE I MUST SAVE EVERYONE

This line grates me so much that by now, every time I see it, I slip into my own traumatic flashback, reminiscing all the other shit shows I've seen that contain it.

KyoAni has pumped out the exact same OP for their shows since Chuunibyou. The only deviation has been Free!, I think. They're all just really dryly told, extremely functional things.

The Tamako Market OP is different as well. The problem here is that Tatsuya Ishihara does the OPs for all the shows he directs, and they have followed the same formula from Air down to the present day.

John Blade

Just finish watching The Garden of Words and man...what a nice touching short movie. Kinda sad of what happen to the main female character but the touching scene near the end make it worth it. I will say this, the animation is beautiful to see and I now understand why people like this creator work. Might post a quick impression when I get back home. Off I go with Sakura Wars.

Cornbread78

Just finish watching The Garden of Words and man...what a nice touching short movie. Kinda sad of what happen to the main female character but the touching scene near the end make it worth it. I will say this, the animation is beautiful to see and I now understand why people like this creator work. Might post a quick impression when I get back home. Off I go with Sakura Wars.

I just watched thi one a couple months ago and a couple of those rainy shots in the garden were almost photo-realistic they were so good. Another bitter-sweet film by that guy. You can tell he hates happy couples and happy endings in general since his tone towards relationships is that they will only bring pain, lol.

Kyoukai no Kanata - 01

Well, do you? I mean you apparently got pierced by a decently thick sword roughly 20 times but don't appear to be more than slightly annoyed by that fact. So no, it couldn't possibly hurt as normal or else you'd have murdered this girl.

So yeh, it's one of those shows that sets a premise that it doesn't take that serious, making it already hard to relate to the characters. Off to a bad start.

This episode made me hate Mirai a bit already, the chuuni stuff doesn't seem particularly creative and there was some weak exposition. Looked good, though, for what that's worth.

So Haruchika also air today?
Well before the subs out, i want to give you guys some little warning about this show's character relationship.

9rSGNg5.jpg[

Cornbread78

So Haruchika also air today?
Well before the subs out, i want to give you guys some little warning about this show's character relationship.

So the teacher loves the boy and the girl student and they love him back in some sick and twisted/disgusting love triangle that would have any sensei jailed? Now that is edgy..

Line_HTX

I just watched thi one a couple months ago and a couple of those rainy shots in the garden were almost photo-realistic they were so good. Another bitter-sweet film by that guy. You can tell he hates happy couples and happy endings in general since his tone towards relationships is that they will only bring pain, lol.

That's Makoto Shinkai for you, all the way from his own Mac.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he draws all of it and animates it all by himself.

Taruranto

we were hyped for that shit at one time

That's your fault, you could tell it was awful from the premise.

The dark fantasy follows a high school sophomore named Akihito Kanbara. Although the boy appears human, he is half youmu and invulnerable to wounds because he can heal quickly. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it seems she is about to jump from the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is unique even among members of the spirit world. Disturbing events begin to unfold after Akihito saves Mirai.

Jaxec

Phantom World 1

This was actually a fun first episode. The fight at the beginning was well animated and enjoyable, but the limbo part was easily my favorite moment of the episode. Though I do have to question why blonde had to massage her breasts. At first I though I'd end up liking blonde the best, but then black came into the picture and stole my heart. The MC is likeable and it looks like he'll be the brains of the team. The fairy is also pretty fun. Looking forward to red next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom