• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased 02:
Two episodes in and I think this might be A-1's best work. I know that doesn't say much because they tend to produce a lot of crap but holy shit this is good. If anything it gives me faith they'll do Ace Attorney justice.

phaze

I did not expect Zizek of all people to be mentioned in this thread...

And in an Ireimo post to boot. Old Anime GAF sure sported some awe inducing Monocles.😜

I made a comment about things I didn't want to see in Erased with either a sci-fi corny time travel twist or an anime ending

and then someone tells me that in the OP they thought
the guy looked similar to the lead

God dammit Erased, please don't lol. I hope that was only a stylized choice for the OP or the person talking out of his ass.

Jarmel

Banned
Erased-2
fIAtei6.jpg
FVG18R5.jpg
Really strong episode overall. I'm not going to speculate much because I feel it's somewhat worthless when there is a source so I'l just talk about the visuals. The storyboarder used a lot of visual barriers to separate characters in the frame as seen above.The show repeatedly used the pipe in the classroom to show Satoru's separation and isolation from his classmates. The episode director and storyboarder, Toshimasa Ishii, also did this with the tree at the end.
As Satoru and Kayo become closer, Satoru crosses the boundary which is the tree, and is depicted right next to her. That sharing of space, with both closer to the light source, shows a level of emotional intimacy even besides the hand touching sequence. Expanding on the element of lighting, the episode director tries to capture feelings such as solitude the placement of light sources.
Shadows are being used to highlight not only Satoru's emotional distance again but also Satoru delving further into the darkness surrounding the case. It's also used in the below frame to reflect Satoru's mental state and overall joy when he sees his mother again. Unlike other shows like Dimension W that just forcibly color the frame to highlight an emotion, Erased just used the natural darkness of it being night to pull off a similar effect.
In addition to basic elements like the lighting and placement of characters, there's other cool directorial cues at work such as the aspect ratio and transitions. Starting with the latter, there's a fun transition involving the matching of motion to jump from one scene to another. There's also a jump cut to indicate the passage of time near the end. While not as slick or as heavy as Rie Matsumoto's work, it's more playful than I was expecting and adds to the atmospheric component in regards to messing with time. The show seemingly likes to mess with the audience's perceptions of events in that we'll get flashbacks from different timelines and skips forward. Time travel is eluded to being this mess of events in Satoru's head as seen in the shot below in the OP and the direction so far has served to match that.
The show also uses the aspect ratio for depictions such as for Satoru's now current state or a different aspect ratio when Satoru is talking Kayo's essay which is a depiction of her mentality. Speaking of Kayo's essay, the episode uitilized color effectively by having Kayo's island be full of warm colors then it quickly switches to her perspective of the town being colorless (not to mention in snow), thus reflecting how she views her surroundings as cold and dark.
That scene also had a shot of Kayo's footprints being washed away on the beach as a symbol of not wanting people to find her. This was referred to a bit earlier in the episode with Satoru mentioning how he wanted to go to the hideout but the friends mention that they can't go because footprints are left behind in the snow. So the island is her mental hideaway away from her current daily struggles.
Kaijura's work is heavily reminiscent of Fate/Zero and helps capture that theatrical feeling. Unlike SAO where she came off as mismatched for the source material, here is a perfect conduit for her style. You can definitely hear similarities to Tragedy and Fate from F/Z. While she won't be proving people wrong with this show that her works are too similar to each other, it fits extremely well.
nsKNvhq.jpg

Again good use of physical space inside the frame.
So far, so good. I am somewhat worried about the accelerated pacing the show will have to take but two episodes in, it hasn't been a problem. Oh and both the OP and ED were clearly crafted with a lot of love.

Jarmel

Banned
Are just the past segments letterboxed?
Kayo's monologue wasn't. There was also one frame that wasn't letterboxed, which is below, but I think someone mainly just fucked up and that was an accident.
Anything that seemingly is from Satoru's younger perspective is in letterbox. They might start messing with that though in that if there are significant deviations from the original timeline, it might be in the original aspect ratio.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you were to use borders to represent the past surely putting them on the side to make the image 4:3 would be more appropriate.

I made a comment about things I didn't want to see in Erased with either a sci-fi corny time travel twist or an anime ending

and then someone tells me that in the OP they thought
the guy looked similar to the lead

God dammit Erased, please don't lol. I hope that was only a stylized choice for the OP or the person talking out of his ass.

I'm assuming the image of what looks like the culprit in the OP is the image of him that Satoru has in his mind, not his actual physical appearance, which the first episode was careful to obscure. At any rate, it's 100% most certainly not anything convoluted like an older Satoru.

Are just the past segments letterboxed?

Yes, all the 1988 scenes featuring 10 year old Satoru are letterboxed. Fantasy sequences are not.

Jarmel

Banned
If you were to use borders to represent the past surely putting them on the side to make the image 4:3 would be more appropriate.

I think it was done this way as a reflection of Satoru being a child and hence shorter now. His vertical perspective has been impacted, not so much width.

I think it was done this way as a reflection of Satoru being a child and hence shorter now. His vertical perspective has been impacted, not so much width.

It's probably more to do with Satoru re-watching the events that take place, much like you would rewatch a film. The scene takes on a cinematic feel to reflect Satoru's state of mind as he searches for clues on how to change the ending. This fits more inline with the film motif used throughout the episode as well.

I think the entire thing should have been an animated oil painting. That way no one could mistake the scenes for what they were.

Not with the way it's shot, stylized 4:3 is usually used to emulate an "amateur" feel of something old, like watching an old Super 8 footage for example.
16:9 on the other hand has a way of making everything feel more vibrant and cinematic, and switching to it in this case makes perfect sense to me as he is feeling his memories, not just watching or remembering them !

Jarmel

Banned
It's probably more to do with Satoru re-watching the events that take place, much like you would rewatch a film. The scene takes on a cinematic feel to reflect Satoru's state of mind as he searches for clues on how to change the ending. This fits more inline with the film motif used throughout the episode as well.

That doesn't work because the aspect ratio doesn't change when new events happen such as Satoru and Kayo talk in the park. That wouldn't be in the 'film', if you will. The change in aspect ratio also doesn't happen in the first episode when Satoru revives such as on the motorscooter or in the park. The change in aspect ratio is directly linked to Satoru's younger body.

That doesn't work because the aspect ratio doesn't change when new events happen such as Satoru and Kayo talk in the park. That wouldn't be in the 'film', if you will. The change in aspect ratio also doesn't happen in the first episode when Satoru revives such as on the motorscooter or in the park. The change in aspect ratio is directly linked to Satoru's younger body.

So it makes more sense that because he is short he can now not see as much above and below him.

The new events wouldn't matter because he hasn't really changed anything yet. On a more logical and practical note, it would also be pretty jarring if the aspect ratio kept changing. Despite all the excellent symbolism and cinematography, it's more likely that they simply wanted the movie-like aspect of 16:9.

half wonder if everyone is just overthinking it and it's just a visual cue for the viewers to distinguish time periods without any deeper meaning

It's very likely this.

Actually, since 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 is a classic aspect ratio for theatrical features, including during 1988, it makes sense to use it to distinguish the period from 2006, when 16:9 was becoming standard for TV. The 4:3 ratio would be more appropriate for an even earlier time period.

Narag

half wonder if everyone is just overthinking it and it's just a visual cue for the viewers to distinguish time periods without any deeper meaning

like the dude eating peanuts in House of Flying Daggers so white people could tell the leads apart

Jarmel

Banned
So it makes more sense that because he is short he can now not see as much above and below him.

The new events wouldn't matter because he hasn't really changed anything yet. On a more logical and practical note, it would also be pretty jarring if the aspect ration kept changing. Despite all the excellent symbolism and cinematography, it's more likely that they simply wanted the movie-like aspect of 16:9.

Yes, cutting off space on the top and the bottom add a cramped effect since they can't depict his first person perspective all the time, by reducing the amount of visual space creates a similar effect.

If they simply wanted the aspect ratio to be 2.35:1, they would have started using it from the first episode and wouldn't have switched it when Kayo was reading her essay. Yes I imagine they partially wanted it to be 2.35:1 (or whatever the actual ratio is) instead of 4:3 for cinematic look purposes but it also has meaning outside of that.

like the dude eating peanuts in House of Flying Daggers so white people could tell the leads apart

It's clear that a lot of thought has gone into every aspect of the production of Erased (apparently there's a lot of details in the ED whose meaning will only become apparent later in the story, for instance), and there's a strong film motif carried through the OP to the depiction of the Revival mechanic to Satoru's mental flashbacks. So I don't think this is really overthinking it.

That said I'm surprised they haven't done this across the board. Make new episodes accessible freely but after a certain point make them premium only. Like they do with manga.

They did that when they changed the subscription options. You can only watch shows less than 1 years old without a membership + some long running shows.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 02

Pretty good episode seeing their relationship when they were young, how they met, how they grew. Turns out our Master wasn't so great when he was a teenager. I do have to say, I wish I understood Japanese because I am sure Rakugo would be much better if listened to. I am not gonna say it's boring, but I'm not rolling on the floor laughing at these stories that are being told to us.

Garo the Animation 9

I'm surprised at how much this show got me to care for Rafael given how relatively little screen time he's had. Showing his backstory in fevered flashbacks, where snatches of past tragedy are seen rather than explicitly narrated, helped a great deal with that. I felt his pain and struggle.

I've seen it said that this show is uneven, but it's been pretty consistently enjoyable for me so far. The quality of the animation of the outsourced DR MOVIE episodes fluctuates, but there's a really strong artistic concept for the series on both the directorial side and the writing side that ties everything together. I'm surprised that this has Yasuko Kobayashi as head writer, because I haven't been impressed by her past writing work that I've seen, particularly on Casshern Sins.

Cornbread78

Erased-2

Really strong episode overall. I'm not going to speculate much because I feel it's somewhat worthless when there is a source so I'l just talk about the visuals. The storyboarder used a lot of visual barriers to separate characters in the frame as seen above.The show repeatedly used the pipe in the classroom to show Satoru's separation and isolation from his classmates. The episode director and storyboarder, Toshimasa Ishii, also did this with the tree at the end.

Love the breakdown man. I cross quoted it with the OT. It's good stuff.

Garo the Animation 10

I really like the show, not tell philosophy this show has, which is certainly enhanced when you have a visionary such as Yuichiro Hayashi. The Mendoza flashback was excellent visual storytelling.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.14
Gotta love this show each week with all the crazy shit that happens. Are we ever going to get some shipping going on with the princess angry Quenthar? That ED is just too good and too obvious, lol. Her look at the end when talking about grabbing the cheif's boobs was priceless, lol.

Futurecard Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 40

Were getting an s3, so, another full year of buddyfight, incredibly hyped.
CYzhzmEUoAA-Vhs.png
CYzh0zYUkAAwlef.png

Anyway for this episode, the math combi was amazing. All the buddy police getting involved in math was quite entertaining.

Plot: I wonder how the wins will be, either the heroes will all win or perhaps it will be split evenly. Some stoned folks on both sides. Sophia v Tasuku Ryuenji will be one to watch, though Im still very concerned about that future where she and Tasuku clearly had a child. How even?

I hope Big Z wins his buddyfight, he hasn't been active in awhile.

Russ T

Banned
Dagashi Kashi - 02

First few minutes of the episode was kinda bleh and I was concerned the first episode was going to be the only episode. But it picked up pretty quick.

I don't really like Hotaru's weird fantasy world candy scenarios. I much prefer to see the interactions between the characters.

---

Gonna watch episode two of the new GATE season. Hope watching it with their new presentation and tone in mind will make it feel better than last week when I was caught offguard by the abrupt shift.

EDIT: Hahahaha okay the Japanese people just chillin' acting like the earthquake is nothing while all the people who've never experienced one freak out was hilarious.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 7 (ENGDUB)
CYzwiKMUkAErsRF.png
CYzxP6uUMAEou4r.png

Shion improved, and Im finally liking some of these royal paladins. Lunar Crescent Knight, Felax and Blue Sky Knight Altimile were some of the memorable ones this episode. Awesome duel and awesome improvement.

Jintor

Utena 5

Really enjoyed this episode.

Miki having this romanticised image of the past in his head contrasted with the reality of his sister, yet him not learning anything at all, was a really interesting direction for the story. Anthy remains an enigma. Utena was kind of ancilliary to the plot this episode apart from being the Main Boss for the episode, lol.

I actually don't skip the stock footage cos it adds something to this weird show

Also, the fucking redhead bishie Student Council Prez is so sexy even when he's saying ominous bullshit designed to fuck with your mind you always visualise it as him shirtless lying on a fancy bed. How goddamn sexy is that? Too sexy.

I'm helping one of my professors write a script for a play and my body decides today is the day to plague me with unending migraines. Thanks, nociceptors.

Rakugo Episode 2

This was a pretty good episode. Showing the past two students sets us up to frame Yotaru and... whatserface within the context of the past. Like where this is going. If my head didn't feel like a decorative papier-mache container filled with throbbing pain, I'd like it even more.

Dagashi Kashi Episode 2

Pretty boring. If there was more Coconuts added and Hotaru screentime decreased I think the anime could actually be somewhat entertaining. The card flipping saved the episode.

Dagashi Kashi Episode 2

This show continues to be....okay.

It's fine. Never bad really, never great. It's just okay.

Active Raid Episode 2

Yeah....dropped. Unless someone comes along and tells me it improves, this show does nothing for me.

Fairy Tail 267

Eh, it was okay. Mavis is an enjoyable character to watch, but it dragged.

The anime makes a certain plot point very obvious as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom