• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss Novid. Someone should unban him.

You should check out his blog. He's still the same old Novid.
The world has realized that it been sick for a long ass time, and that in order to live – the shackles of its life and its times and tides need to be broken. But their are things that will never be let go. Its time to figure out ways to live around these issues. It takes good men to respect peoples ways, it takes great men to understand peoples quirks, it takes exceptional men to live around their disagreements and traditions based on these disagreements, and it takes men of amazing foresight and vision, a Prophet to see beyond the lies and give people the sign posts to better their lives with in their living space. The world is “Contracting” and Prophets and Heroes both show and defend the way of life for all of their people, so even when people lose everything, the creature comforts – the touch of a lover, the home-cooked meal, the joy or artistic work, when all that is lost – the Prophet and the Heroes remind us of what we had and what needs to be saved.

Jintor

If you've only got ~3 minute episodes, it's hard to do anything that isn't fast-paced comedy. Yama no Susume S1 and Pupipo are the only successful examples I know that do attempt something that isn't primarily comedy. Once you get up to ~8 minutes an episode more becomes possible, as with Kagewani and Tabi Machi Late Show.

Wakakozake is also just kind of basking in the radiance of food, I think.

Hamst3r

Perfect. http://outofcontextjojo.tumblr.com/

tumblr_o0383nknpJ1s2kojso1_400.png

Just T

Tell me.

Did you find the main characters annoying in the episode? Like they should have minded their own business even though everything worked out in the end?
For the most part yeah because it didn't really feel like a genuine desire to help her, they just wanted her to join the band, even though they did sympathize.Things may have ended on an upbeat note but it feels like if someone truly wanted to help her it would of been handled a bit more delicately. They could of actually solved it with her instead of holding her down like that while explaining. Then when the message came up the first thing that came to mind was "no, she actually didn't".

convo

i enjoyed the episode, but i'm failing to see what the hype is about. It's enough for me to not drop it so far though. But candy trivia might only work for so far before I realize I just don't care for it

I was surprised this wasn't a short-episode show as the manga is pretty light on stuff, but of course they managed to cram in some reference gags to make it last 20 minutes and more. It really doesn't have to be that long. Character designs go a long way though, those eyes make me weak.

Russ T

Banned
I just finished watch the Berserk movies.

Wow, that was fucking intense and repulsive and disturbing and I really really like it.

I'm surprised at how little the CG bothered me. It improved with each movie, I felt, but even in the first one, it seemed like they used traditional 2D animation for most of the important character moments and only went the cheap route for the giant battle scenes. But even so, a lot of what happened in the last movie, in the eclipse, was CG, and it looked... good? I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that that whole event is fucking terrifying, and things looking slightly unnatural makes sense.

Anyway, this is in stark contrast to when I watched the series years ago and came off utterly nonplussed. I didn't hate it but I for sure didn't love it, either. It was just kind of there. Dunno if the movies are just that much better or if I'm just more capable of appreciating it (probably more the latter than the former, for sure), but yes. I liked these movies. The extra content certainly didn't hurt. Felt like a much better ending than the series. I want to say the series didn't even have the Skull Knight?

The movies do a really good job of hinting at something bigger. It feels... epic in nature and in scope.

I wonder if I should read the manga, now. I know we got more movies coming out this year (?) which I'm now officially anticipating.

Oof, what a ride.

Squishy3

Wow, that was fucking intense and repulsive and disturbing and I really really like it.

I'm surprised at how little the CG bothered me. It improved with each movie, I felt, but even in the first one, it seemed like they used traditional 2D animation for most of the important character moments and only went the cheap route for the giant battle scenes. But even so, a lot of what happened in the last movie, in the eclipse, was CG, and it looked... good? I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that that whole event is fucking terrifying, and things looking slightly unnatural makes sense.

Anyway, this is in stark contrast to when I watched the series years ago and came off utterly nonplussed. I didn't hate it but I for sure didn't love it, either. It was just kind of there. Dunno if the movies are just that much better or if I'm just more capable of appreciating it (probably more the latter than the former, for sure), but yes. I liked these movies. The extra content certainly didn't hurt. Felt like a much better ending than the series. I want to say the series didn't even have the Skull Knight?

The movies do a really good job of hinting at something bigger. It feels... epic in nature and in scope.

I wonder if I should read the manga, now. I know we got more movies coming out this year (?) which I'm now officially anticipating.

Oof, what a ride.
Series doesn't even have Skull Knight.
It also ended immediately after Guts chops his own arm off in the middle of the eclipse, with an after credits scene of him leaving with the Dragonslayer.

Russ T

Banned
Series doesn't even have Skull Knight.
It also ended immediately after Guts chops his own arm off in the middle of the eclipse, with an after credits scene of him leaving with the Dragonslayer.

Yep I do believe that had a significant impact on my appreciation of the original series. Hah.

Quasar

wow dagashi kashi is so not good

crazy eyes only goes so far

I haven't reached there. I suspect I could watch her forever.

My concern is how far Japanese candy gags can go having no knowledge of Japanese candies besides weird kitkat flavours.

Muuccoooooooooooo!!! 15 - On another hand Mucu wishing for Komatsu to turn into a dog always works for me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It seems the movie is a set up for the next two. The other movies will be very, very different.
I don't know why you think that, but that is not true. Except for the third movie, which we still don't really know what to expect of.

Qurupeke

More like watch the OVAs and first series and ignore the second one.
Yeah, that could work.

I don't know why you think that, but that is not true. Except for the third movie, which we still don't really know what to expect of.

All the fights are on part 2 and probably part 3, if what I read is true. Okay, I may exaggerate saying it will be very different, but they'll have a significant change of pace and they'll have a lot more action. Basically, they'll be even more different than what the tweet describes. There are a few (great) scenes with dialogues, but the rest of Kizu isn't the same as the start.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kizumonogatari Part 1 will have lots of action sequences though. The run to dispense the magazines. The roof scene after transformation. The first encounter with Meme. These are all in the trailer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tsukimonogatari:

Okay, I am convinced that everybody with the name Araragi needs to be arrested and placed on the sex offender list.

Qurupeke

Kizumonogatari Part 1 will have lots of action sequences though. The run to dispense the magazines. The roof scene after transformation. The first encounter with Meme. These are all in the trailer.

I agree with that and with what the tweet says. My first post may have been worded a bit wrong though. I meant they'll be even more different than Bake, in comparison to Kizu 1. Basically, Kizu is different than Bake and it will only get more different from there.

Tsukimonogatari:

Okay, I am convinced that everybody with the name Araragi needs to be arrested and placed on the sex offender list.

I think this was apparent from the 3rd episode. :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I agree with that and with what the tweet says. My first post may have been worded a bit wrong though. I meant they'll be even more different than Bake, in comparison to Kizu 1. Basically, Kizu is different than Bake and it will only get more different from there.

I think this was apparent from the 3rd episode. :p

It needed to be repeated.

phaze

Tsukimonogatari:

It's just Nisio Isin showing us the corruption of Japanese police force through what in any other show would be just ordinary, fanservice filled harem hijinks. Based.

It's okay cause
she is an immortal apparition and not his real sister.

Sakura

Not sure how I am feeling about Dagashi Kashi...
Kokonotsu is just such a boring protagonist for me. I don't really like his character design or personality.
The gags are pretty hit or miss too.
I like Saya though so I think I will keep watching for now...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's just Nisio Isin showing us the corruption of Japanese police force through what in any other show would be just ordinary, fanservice filled harem hijinks. Based.

It's okay cause
she is an immortal apparition and not his real sister.

I am aware of that and yet I still want Araragi in prison.

Koukaku no Pandora 02

hRg0ei7.jpg
RC7kUmy.jpg

Well that was easy.

I'm calling it nickles to dimes that the professor is totally just taking this chance to be lazy and go somewhere and relax for a bit. Also love the fact it seems the radio interview part of the ED will be changing each episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Koukaku no Pandora 02

I'm called it nickles to dimes that the professor is totally just taking this chance to be lazy and go somewhere and relax for a bit. Also love the fact it seems the radio interview part of the ED well be changing each episode.

Also I don't think she wanted to go and
get arrested.

duckroll

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - Episode 1-2

This is the rarest kinda of TV anime - the sort where from the start you know it's something different and special. Not something made to try and cash in on a popular trend or to sell toys and merchandise, but to tell a story someone wanted to tell about something they clearly had personal interest and passion in. It would not be particularly unusual to find this sort of period story in an animated film or even an OVA bundled with the manga. A whole TV series though? That's something else. Not that it never happens, but when it does, I just feel an extra sense of appreciation that stuff like that still manages to get made.

While the highlight is certainly the subject matter of rakugo - what is seen as basically a dead/dying Japanese artform, I feel the real hook here is that this is a true period drama. A story about a certain time, a certain place, with certain people and their hopes, dreams, ambitions, and relationships. Rakugo is simply the vehicle here driving those things, and it makes the story fresh because there aren't many stories about people who do that.

What's doubly impressive is that this is a show which seems to be made with very few compromises. It is willing to dwell on the rakugo performances to show their impact, it is willing to allow character interactions to drag on to show awkward silence and contrast that with growing intimacy, and it doesn't see the need to take extra time to explain the process and terms of the subject matter, rather blending it in naturally into the presentation with context, such that the audience can follow it and learn on their own what it is all about.

There are various other things I feel impressed by too - there isn't any catchy opening song, the soundtrack is perfectly in tone with the period setting, and the voice cast too is filled with veterans from a previous generation in anime. Everything about the show feels dated to a certain extend - in a good way, which is very fitting for a show about a dated performance art set in a dated era. Even the idea of Studio DEEN making a show which looks this good with this much attention to detail is... dated. Lol.

The last point on my mind is that this is the sort of anime which really has no business being animated in the first place. It's the sort of story and direction which fits live action perfectly. But it is also for this very reason that it being an anime is important. Because animation should not and does not have to be only for things which "can only be animated". On the contrary, some of the most touching and emotionally powerful animated works are those which show that even an animated work can carry the subtly and naunce of reality. This is the same way I feel about my favorite Ghibli film - Whisper of the Heart. It is actually much easier to want to animate something which can only be animated, but I think people find it harder and more challenging to approach animation in a way which competes with reality. Thankfully though, in Japan this might be less of a mental stigma because their live action productions often feel so lacking. :p

Biggest surprise of the season so far, and I wouldn't even have checked this out if not for all the recommendations here, so thanks!

Branduil

Oof, what a ride.

The bad news is that you've finished all of the best Berserk stuff now.

CY0HQQnUMAIZOv2.png:large

when ur shitty right wing nationalist otaku wet dream adaptation cant even do basic splitscreening right lmfao
Really want to see what that storyboard looked like.

Rotnems

Neo Member
Pandora episode 1

This was suprisingly fun. Doesn't take itself too serious wich i like in my action shows. Also
I want to achieve world peace with Nene
Thanks for the reccomendation!

Rakugo episode 2

The first rakugo performance was really boring. I know thats what they where going for but it still went on for way too long. I also hope that they go back to the present time instead of continuing with the flashback.

While the highlight is certainly the subject matter of rakugo - what is seen as basically a dead/dying Japanese artform, I feel the real hook here is that this is a true period drama.

This is true. I mention it, because yesterday I was reading comments of someone saying he didn't know how to judge the series, given with total lack of knowledge in the art form of rakugo. But the series isn't really about rakugo itself, it's a character drama in a period setting. Instead of rakugo it could have been about cooking or painting or any other art or business. Well, there has some advantages in using rakugo as it's "dated" giving a flair of past times, but it's just a vehicle as you say.

This is the rarest kinda of TV anime - the sort where from the start you know it's something different and special. Not something made to try and cash in on a popular trend or to sell toys and merchandise, but to tell a story someone wanted to tell about something they clearly had personal interest and passion in. It would not be particularly unusual to find this sort of period story in an animated film or even an OVA bundled with the manga. A whole TV series though? That's something else. Not that it never happens, but when it does, I just feel an extra sense of appreciation that stuff like that still manages to get made.

I still don't understand how someone decided that what this manga needed was not a live action drama, but an anime. And they didn't choose a cheap or easy promotional vehicle, but gave it to a director who is very talented but has no experience with this type of material (although it would be hard to have experience if you work in anime!) and gave him lots and lots of production time to make everything just the way he wanted it. Really weird, but I'm not complaining!

The last point on my mind is that this is the sort of anime which really has no business being animated in the first place. It's the sort of story and direction which fits live action perfectly. But it is also for this very reason that it being an anime is important. Because animation should not and does not have to be only for things which "can only be animated". On the contrary, some of the most touching and emotionally powerful animated works are those which show that even an animated work can carry the subtly and naunce of reality. This is the same way I feel about my favorite Ghibli film - Whisper of the Heart. It is actually much easier to want to animate something which can only be animated, but I think people find it harder and more challenging to approach animation in a way which competes with reality. Thankfully though, in Japan this might be less of a mental stigma because their live action productions often feel so lacking. :p

Thank you. I've recently come to hate seeing people say things like "You can do anything in animation, so why would you go with something realistic?" It's such a limiting view of what animation is capable of, and carries a whiff of animation being a second-rate art as well, as if its only value is in "filling in" for what is impossible with live action. I'm happy that there are animators and animation directors out there eager to make grand, fantastical visual showpieces, but I'm also happy that there are directors and animators willing to make gentle, understated animation based on keen observation of the real world. Animation is a strong enough medium to handle both.

This is true. I mention it, because yesterday I was reading comments of someone saying he didn't know how to judge the series, given with total lack of knowledge in the art form of rakugo. But the series isn't really about rakugo itself, it's a character drama in a period setting. Instead of rakugo it could have been about cooking or painting or any other art or business. Well, there has some advantages in using rakugo as it's "dated" giving a flair of past times, but it's just a vehicle as you say.

It's important that rakugo is a solo performance art, because that forces a lot of one's individual character to come forth during a performance. And it's also important that rakugo is an art with a lot of tradition behind it, and the series shows how that tradition weighs heavily (or not) on its practitioners. While the series isn't exactly about rakugo, rakugo is integral to the series such that you couldn't just replace it with any other activity and it would stay essentially the same.

T-Rex.

Banned
Bakemonogatari

Finally finished the series today and I really loved it for the most part although the gratuitous shots/groping, especially of the underage characters like Hachikuji and Sengoku, really put me off. The show's good enough for me to like it despite those elements, but man it'd be a better show without them. They haven't really given any screen-time to either sister just yet and I'm guessing when they do it'll be more of the same. Moving on from that though, it's such a striking show visually and that helps because in a lot of the scenes there's not much happening, as in it's dialogue heavy, but the visuals and the directing still make it seem frantic in a way which makes it feel like more is happening than it actually is. The dialogue is also fantastic and I love the banter between the characters, it feels authentic. Lastly, I'm on a tablet and I'm too lazy to write up more, I love that the Hanekawa mini-arc concluded with Araragi stating he loves Senjougahara. I honestly thought it'd result in a love triangle and the kind of nonsense where he can't pick between them even though Senjougahara's clearly the best so the ending pleased me.

Episode 12 > the rest. I should also probably avoid reading this thread until I'm caught up just to avoid spoilers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom