• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So assuming that some of the good shows hopefully won't go downhill. Do you agree that this season has been quite decent and promising compared to other Winter seasons so far?

So assuming that some of the good shows hopefully won't go downhill. Do you agree that this season has been quite decent and promising compared to other Winter seasons so far?

I'm actually liking this season quite a lot

Erased, Dagashi Kashi, Sekkou Boys, Galko-chan and Oji-san to Marshmallow are all great for me and I got Haikyuu, Osomatsu, Gintama and Gundam continuing. Still dunno how to feel about Rakugo

duckroll

No because every year people say the same thing. Going from Fall to Winter always results in a feeling that the season is "weaker" simply because the big shows with the most marketing tend to be released in Fall, and Winter is a quieter season with less hype. In the end though, there are always good shows which launch in Winter with less fanfare but get appreciation from the people watching it.

Tuck

Erased - 2
This was absolutely fantastic. I'm terrified they'll drop the ball somewhere a long the line, cause I'm fully invested at this point.

The last winter season was way better than this one. It had Death Parade, Jojo, Maria the Virgin Witch, Fafner, Yuri Kuma Arashi. (Of course, it also had the second season of Aldnoah.Zero...)

But as far as winter seasons go, this one has been pretty par for the course I think.

The last winter season was way better than this one. It had Death Parade, Jojo, Maria the Virgin Witch, Fafner, Yuri Kuma Arashi. (Of course, it also had the second season of Aldnoah.Zero...)

But as far as winter seasons go, this one has been pretty par for the course I think.

Erased and Rakugo Shinjuu are (so far) better than any of those shows you mention. (That I have experience with, can't speak for Fafner.)

Erased and Rakugo Shinjuu are (so far) better than any of those shows you mention. (That I have experience with, can't speak for Fafner.)

ERASED is pretty good so far, but it's also a thriller/mystery show.

And if there is one genre that can completely shit the bed, it's mystery.

I can't really speak for Rakugo Shinjuu's quality. It's not my type of show.

The best shows last Winter were ones continuing from the Fall. Erased and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu are significantly better than any of the Winter 2014 new shows.

Clov

So many new announcements from Aniplex of America, and not a single mention of Mushishi. Getting a little impatient here.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Erased-2

Really strong episode overall. I'm not going to speculate much because I feel it's somewhat worthless when there is a source so I'l just talk about the visuals. The storyboarder used a lot of visual barriers to separate characters in the frame as seen above.The show repeatedly used the pipe in the classroom to show Satoru's separation and isolation from his classmates. The episode director and storyboarder, Toshimasa Ishii, also did this with the tree at the end.

Nice write up, I miss all of those details, going to watch it again after reading this.

Last Winter season I thought Death Parade would be that promising show. I mean it's alright but it could of been a really great series.

I'm honestly afraid that the same thing could happen with Erased and Rakugo. I can't even name the number of times I've been disappointed by a show that showed promise.

ERASED is pretty good so far, but it's also a thriller/mystery show.

And if there is one genre that can completely shit the bed, it's mystery.

Erased seems heavily character based though, instead of being a mystery for the sake of mystery. Plus it has one of the most skilled anime writers working on it, in addition to an unusually high level of production detail and polish which really elevates the material.

Last Winter season I thought Death Parade would be that promising show. I mean it's alright but it could of been a really great series.

I'm honestly afraid that the same thing could happen with Erased and Rakugo. I can't even name the number of times I've been disappointed by a show that showed promise.

That's just something you either come to accept about watching ongoing TV shows (or following any sort of serialized narratives, really), or you stick to watching completed shows where their quality from beginning to end is a known factor.

I forgot to mention another big reason I'm somewhat skeptical to call ERASED great.

ERASED is dealing with
time travel.
(Eh, some people might not have seen the first episode yet.)

Stories that involve
time travel
shenanigans have a bad habit of tripping and breaking both their legs just before the finish line.

Erased seems heavily character based though, instead of being a mystery for the sake of mystery. Plus it has one of the most skilled anime writers working on it, in addition to an unusually high level of production detail and polish which really elevates the material.

It's true. ERASED has handled its characters well so far.

I forgot to mention another big reason I'm somewhat skeptical to call ERASED great.

ERASED is dealing with
time travel.
(Eh, some people might not have seen the first episode yet.)

Stories that involve
time travel
shenanigans have a bad habit of tripping and breaking both their legs just before the finish line.

It's true. ERASED has handled its characters well so far.

There are plenty of quality time travel stories. Preemptive fear that a good director and screenwriter will drop the ball because of the genre doesn't really seem warranted.

Clov

Welcome, perhaps its on the same list that Mekaku City Actors is on :( Im still waiting.

It's frustrating liking a show on Aniplex's back burner, isn't it? There's no telling when or if they'll release their less popular titles, or even whether they'll get a BD release or not. With a show as beautiful as Mushishi, it would be a tragedy if it was stuck on DVD. At least the first season was produced in SD, so I can forgive the lack of BD there somewhat, but the second season would be unforgivable.

It's this combined with Aniplex's unwillingness to release (or even license out) their catalog titles that frustrates me the most about the company. Outside of Gurren Lagann I don't think they've put any out of them. While I don't know for sure, I suspect that Aniplex of Japan has made it difficult or much more expensive for other companies to license any of their titles, to avoid competition for Aniplex of America. While the last Aniplex title licensed by another company was Black Butler Book of Circus by Funimation, the last original one was Tsuritama by Sentai. In addition, NISA's Aniplex licenses have all been expiring lately. I have a feeling that they were too expensive for them to renew. It's incredibly frustrating, since Aniplex of Japan has the international rights to shows like Paradise Kiss and Wandering Son as far as I know, but they don't intend to release them and they're not easily available to outside companies to license and release.

It's frustrating liking a show on Aniplex's back burner, isn't it? There's no telling when or if they'll release their less popular titles, or even whether they'll get a BD release or not. With a show as beautiful as Mushishi, it would be a tragedy if it was stuck on DVD. At least the first season was produced in SD, so I can forgive the lack of BD there somewhat, but the second season would be unforgivable.

It's this combined with Aniplex's unwillingness to release (or even license out) their catalog titles that frustrates me the most about the company. Outside of Gurren Lagann I don't think they've put any out of them. While I don't know for sure, I suspect that Aniplex of Japan has made it difficult or much more expensive for other companies to license any of their titles, to avoid competition for Aniplex of America. While the last Aniplex title licensed by another company was Black Butler Book of Circus by Funimation, the last original one was Tsuritama by Sentai. In addition, NISA's Aniplex licenses have all been expiring lately. I have a feeling that they were too expensive for them to renew. It's incredibly frustrating, since Aniplex of Japan has the international rights to shows like Paradise Kiss and Wandering Son as far as I know, but they don't intend to release them and they're not easily available to outside companies to license and release.

Actually, since Sentai licensed Perfect Insider from last season, I think that would be the most recent Aniplex title to be picked up by another company in the US.

duckroll

There are plenty of quality time travel stories. Preemptive fear that a good director and screenwriter will drop the ball because of the genre doesn't really seem warranted.

I would say my main concern with Erased is the source material, because I'm unfamiliar with the author's works and he doesn't seem to have written something like this before. So if there's on possibility for something to go south, it would be that. The anime staff will probably do the best job they can though.

JulianImp

Sekko Boys 2

Out of the two short shows I'm watching this season, I like the marshmallow show more. But this one is solid too. Just nothing out of this world.

Oh you!

I'm fairly indifferent on Marshmallow Ojisan, but I guess the episodes are short enough that the humor doesn't overstay its welcome. Also, is it me or does this miniseries format get used for comedies 90% of the time? I get that it's probably easier to do a short skit per episode rather than do an action/drama/mystery/whatever miniseries, and even action-y ones such as Ninja Slayer (or was Inferno Cop the shorter one?) tend to use humor as one of the pillars of their episode structure.

I also agree that you can's say this season has been all that bad since both ERASED and Rakugo have been fairly well-received. I like ERASED since I'm always up for a good mystery series, but Rakugo's my favorite of the two because of how unique it is on top of handling its characters and plot in a way that I find very interesting and entertaining to watch.

And all this talk made me realize that I had forgotten that Rakugo #2 would be out today, so I guess I'll be watching it tomorrow.

Haikyuu!! Season 2 Eps 1-4

New characters! New girls! New rivals! Better animation!

The Asahi old man joke will never get old. But the real game changer is how much more screentime Kiyoko gets now. I love it. New girl is great too and her mom is even better. Tanakas sister is awesome too.

Really enjoying this season so far. The humor is still on point and the new teams introduced should give us some awesome matches.

I would say my main concern with Erased is the source material, because I'm unfamiliar with the author's works and he doesn't seem to have written something like this before. So if there's on possibility for something to go south, it would be that. The anime staff will probably do the best job they can though.

From what I hear from others, the source material is pretty solid if that helps at all.

I thought that was handled by Fuji TV? Noitamina titles will always go to either them or Aniplex.

Oh? I know Aniplex was on the production committee, it being A-1 and all, but I guess I don't know which company would be negotiating international licenses.

Oh you!

I'm fairly indifferent on Marshmallow Ojisan, but I guess the episodes are short enough that the humor doesn't overstay its welcome. Also, is it me or does this miniseries format get used for comedies 90% of the time? I get that it's probably easier to do a short skit per episode rather than do an action/drama/mystery/whatever miniseries, and even action-y ones such as Ninja Slayer (or was Inferno Cop the shorter one?) tend to use humor as one of the pillars of their episode structure.

If you've only got ~3 minute episodes, it's hard to do anything that isn't fast-paced comedy. Yama no Susume S1 and Pupipo are the only successful examples I know that do attempt something that isn't primarily comedy. Once you get up to ~8 minutes an episode more becomes possible, as with Kagewani and Tabi Machi Late Show.

sonicmj1

If you've only got ~3 minute episodes, it's hard to do anything that isn't fast-paced comedy. Yama no Susume S1 and Pupipo are the only successful examples I know that do attempt something that isn't primarily comedy. Once you get up to ~8 minutes an episode more becomes possible, as with Kagewani and Tabi Machi Late Show.

Sounds like you haven't watched Wakakozake. The two-minute anime is probably even more effective at evoking its mood than the 22 minute drama.

JCG

The last winter season was way better than this one. It had Death Parade, Jojo, Maria the Virgin Witch, Fafner, Yuri Kuma Arashi.

It's unfortunate that both of the anime original shows you've listed (except for the Fafner sequel) were arguably the series that took the most risks during the season yet seem to have commercially bombed in Japan. I guess Maria might partially count since that also had an uncommon concept and was a hard sell too, but it was still an adaptation despite adding new elements.

ibyea

Banned
Erased - 2
This is really good. It's well directed, the visual just pops, and the story is really intriguing. The show is also doing a great job in terms of people that are not social and how they handle their everyday lives without falling into the usual stereotypical pitfalls.

Clov

Oh? I know Aniplex was on the production committee, it being A-1 and all, but I guess I don't know which company would be negotiating international licenses.

Guilty Crown and Psycho-Pass are both Funi. Where noitaminA shows go depend on who is interested and who is willing to pay.

As Hosanna points out, I'm referring to the companies on the Japanese side that would negotiate with North American companies. For example, looking on Crunchyroll, Fuji Creative is listed as the publisher for The Perfect Insider. Wandering Son on the other hand has the publisher listed as Aniplex.

While you're right in that noitaminA shows tend to go to whoever is willing to pay for them (Funimation has Ping-Pong, NIS has Bunny Drop, Cinedigm has Mononoke, etc), it seems that these days the noitaminA titles whose international rights belong to Aniplex will either be released by Aniplex of America or nobody at all. The titles I mentioned in brackets all are handled internationally by Fuji Creative.

Given how many of NIS' Aniplex licenses are expiring recently, it's possible that Aniplex priced their catalog titles too high for any outside company to consider bidding on, or simply made them unavailable. Of course, the other possibility is that genuinely no company is interested in the more obscure parts of Aniplex's catalog, which given the kinds of shows I'm interested in is quite possible.

JulianImp

Oh, I didn't know Kagewani was actually a miniseries. But yeah, I was interested in knowing just how much anime authors have been able to get out of miniseries so far (and I don't mean exclusively 3-minute ones), since it's interesting to see which time frames are still considered to be the bare minimum (as a standard, of course) to do different kinds of things with a show.

Sounds like you haven't watched Wakakozake. The two-minute anime is probably even more effective at evoking its mood than the 22 minute drama.

Now that's interesting. Guess I'll give it a try sometime just to see how it fares as a non-comedic miniseries.

Grimgar 1

The first episode was really comfy plus seeing the Goblins enjoying their meal was funny. The background visuals were fantastic.

I wonder if the next few episodes will show its true colors.

Just T

Erased: 2

Great episode, just like the first. I really like how this is going along so far, the narration from Satoru is pretty good and I like how he is reflecting on things, sweet scene with his mother. Kayo’s letter was a pretty big cry for help, was there no teacher that picked up on that, even a little bit. Also don't trust Kenya. Though maybe it might be better to just say he's intriguing.

The OP & ED are great too.

Taruranto

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu continues to be the best of the season, really leagues apart from the other anime.

Surprised DEEN didn't fuck this one.

Narag

Perfect Insider 7

That conversation was super engrishy. I was wondering why they didn't get a native speaker then after some thought settled on it being some sort of logistical trainwreck to find a VA that's available, fluent in English, and able to receive proper direction in Japanese.

duckroll

As Hosanna points out, I'm referring to the companies on the Japanese side that would negotiate with North American companies. For example, looking on Crunchyroll, Fuji Creative is listed as the publisher for The Perfect Insider. Wandering Son on the other hand has the publisher listed as Aniplex.

While you're right in that noitaminA shows tend to go to whoever is willing to pay for them (Funimation has Ping-Pong, NIS has Bunny Drop, Cinedigm has Mononoke, etc), it seems that these days the noitaminA titles whose international rights belong to Aniplex will either be released by Aniplex of America or nobody at all. The titles I mentioned in brackets all are handled internationally by Fuji Creative.

Given how many of NIS' Aniplex licenses are expiring recently, it's possible that Aniplex priced their catalog titles too high for any outside company to consider bidding on, or simply made them unavailable. Of course, the other possibility is that genuinely no company is interested in the more obscure parts of Aniplex's catalog, which given the kinds of shows I'm interested in is quite possible.

Hmmmm. I think a lot of this also depends on how the shows on noitaminA get greenlit in the first place. Do we know if Aniplex automatically gets the international rights for certain shows which they help bankroll, of are those rights granted if Fuji fails to sell them on an initial offering? If it is the latter, then it would explain why Aniplex of America releases those shows, since no one picked them up. It's also possible that for certain of those shows, as you say, the price they wanted to sell it at was simply too high.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu continues to be the best of the season, really leagues apart from the other anime.

Surprised DEEN didn't fuck this one.

hZ9fica.png

Have you just skipped over Erased?

fertygo

Erased is really good, like I need next eps stat good.

Need to watch Rakugo but one hour premiere always throw me off lately, made me hesitate to watch.. Hasn't watch Owarimonogatari yet for same reason.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 2:

I gotta admit I feel rather out of my depth when it comes to critiquing this show because it features an artform I know very little about. Indeed that is one of the biggest merits of this programs is I get to learn ll about what Rakugo is and how it is performed and it has some bits of universality that I can personally connect with. Still, after two episodes I would call this the solid number 2 show of the season. Granted Erased and Genroku here are so vastly different that I would not know exactly how to judge them side by side but I would be lying if I didn't say that Genroku doesn't have a bit of a cultural barrier that keeps me from being fully immersed at present.

Erased is really good, like I need next eps stat good.

Need to watch Rakugo but one hour premiere always throw me off lately, made me hesitate to watch.. Hasn't watch Owarimonogatari yet for same reason.

You monster. :p I actually thought Owari was the best of the Monogatari series so far. As far as I know, I'm alone in that assessment though. :l

Where can I watch Bakuman?

Clov

Hmmmm. I think a lot of this also depends on how the shows on noitaminA get greenlit in the first place. Do we know if Aniplex automatically gets the international rights for certain shows which they help bankroll, of are those rights granted if Fuji fails to sell them on an initial offering? If it is the latter, then it would explain why Aniplex of America releases those shows, since no one picked them up. It's also possible that for certain of those shows, as you say, the price they wanted to sell it at was simply too high.

This is what I'm not sure about. What determines whether a noitaminA show's international rights go to Fuji or Aniplex? I'm not sure if that information is even publicly available. I have no insight into that process, unfortunately.

I do know in the past, before Aniplex of America was established, Aniplex of Japan did license out noitaminA titles to North American companies. Paradise Kiss for example was released here through Geneon. Even a few years after Aniplex of America started up, some of their noitaminA titles went to other companies (AnoHana and Katanagatari went to NISA, while Tsuritama went to Sentai, etc). It's a more recent occurrence that any noitaminA title by Aniplex of Japan goes automatically to Aniplex of America, and it has me worried that Aniplex closing themselves off to other international companies means that their obscure productions will just stay by the wayside.

Dimension W 1

Aside from the info dump this was a pretty good premiere. I honestly really like the MC so far plus he isn't a teenager so that's good. I wonder what Mira's role will be as the series progresses. Also lol at the slaps he was given, both times you heard a cracking noise. I enjoyed the animation as well.

The Opening is pretty great especially since the MC was dancing.

Mailbox

You monster. :p I actually thought Owari was the best of the Monogatari series so far. As far as I know, I'm alone in that assessment though. :l

It's close to bake imo.

I actually see it as more of an interesting counter piece to bake for some reason. Maybe its the themes and how personal owari was to koyomi rather than it being solely about others

------------

I've noticed quite a few people on the crunchyroll forums hating on the sub only thing for the backlog in canada. Saying stuff like "this seems like a test" or how crunchyroll is gonna start doing this elsewhere.

Why do people get so stupidly fearful sometimes?
The ignorance as to Canada's economic state and how that affects business (and moreover, licencing agreements) is damn baffling. Makes me mad and sad at the same time when i see people do that.

Its like going into the cbc comments section and people blaming Trudeau for everything despite him only being in office for less than 3 months and parliament having only resumed just over a month ago.

Man, fearmongering and bullshit gets me riled up sometimes.
--------------------------

Anywho, I'm watching a longer anime right now and am 48 episodes in, so i should be done... eventually.

I'm also working on my Winter 2016 avatar. Its gonna either be Hotaru or one of the characters from erased. I'll decide which to use after i've made them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom