• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
If actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms characters in your anime is something that interests you, consider the eternal legendary revered classic Souten Kouro.

Or Ikki Tousen.

Oooooo more to add to my list

3 kingdoms era is my favorite shit to watch and read up on. I love that time period.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Grimgar 02
The only thing more pathetic than the cast is Funimation. There's an insert song that goes on for over four minutes in this episode, and I can just see the translator doing some kind of fist pump and going, "Nice, we don't have to do anything here."

which one? There's the one of the lady eating food, the one of the marshmallow tease, and the recent candy one. Also the various food ones from last season.

dagashi kashi or whatever. I saw the snack colony drop thing and decided to give it a look. I dig it, I like the tongue-in-cheek presentation and the ridiculously specific snack food trivia stuff. It's I dunno if they'll be able to squeeze blood out of that rock for a full cour - from the sounds of it it seems like two episodes of it was enough for a lot of people here - but I'm liking it. I also really like how every character looks about two seconds away from snapping. It's charming.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 8-9
The main aspect of episode 8 is the past behind that Rainbow Knight guy. He was this superhero guy who at the end of his life kidnaps children and use them as hostage for ransom, and that was the impetus behind the superhuman secrecy law. We are never shown why he does this but the kid in this episode was one of his victim. Despite that, he doesn't forget that kind and heroic aspect of him. Jirou seems to have a similar attitude.

Episode 9 makes it increasingly clear why Jirou left the Superhuman Bureau. Even though they helped defend the immortal families from the Americans, if the Americans wouldn't have messed up, the Bureau would have taken the families for research.

wonzo

Banned
dagashi kashi 1

feel somewhat disjointed in the same way umaru did with trying to bring a buncha short one-off gag laden chapters together into one cohesive whole, thankfully in that case dogakobo did its thing and keeping it fun to just look at. fortunately the sheer enthusiasm & charisma of the cast are more than enough to hold things together and i'm glad they're actually taking liberties with all the silly over-the-top bits. the rustic backgrounds are nice and i really dig how the character designs turned out. will keep watching for the novelty of seeing things all animated & acted out.

would recommend the manga to whomever likes this as i think it flows better in it's original format tho

blurr

DurararaX2 25-26

There's very little that happens in each episode of this show but the conversations and interactions between the characters make up for it. I'd like to know even more about why exactly I'm enjoying this so much but I'm too caught up with other shows to introspect.

wonzo

Banned
dagashi 2

lmao @ the colony drop. it's good this improved upon the most important part in that everyone looks like some whacked out junkie thats about to knife a dealer

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 10
A Mr. Jaguar centered episode! It's a time travel episode in which it deals with his past self as part of the over the top group IQ. Really over the top, an idiot's version of justice, as if every problem of evil were solved by Rambo shooting everything. In this one case, they decapitate this kidnapper with a laser and then make cheese holes out of the hostages themselves because they legit did bad things. Of course, it is in part childish because it is trying to contrast that with the older Mr. Jaguar and Jirou, who build the childish horse shaped car robot, but who have a more developed sense of ethics. It's not exactly subtle, (heck, some episodes of this show could stand to not repeat key words of the episode the audience is supposed to latch on to) but that's what it is. I don't know if I like the time travel mechanics of this show though. It's like they are trying to eat their cake and have it.

Dagashi Kashi is such a weird, conflicting series for me. Its style and presentation is something I dig, but its subject matter is something I couldn't care less about. At least with crazy mahjong series like Koizumi, I can appreciate the spectacle. I pretty much only read the manga for Hotaru's design and personality before dropping it after 10ish chapters.

this season looks lame as hell for the action genre. what's everyone watching? i have heavy object and utawarerumono (lol) from the last season and i guess i'll pick up GATE again, but nothing else has caught my attention.

Qurupeke

this season looks lame as hell for the action genre. what's everyone watching? i have heavy object and utawarerumono (lol) from the last season and i guess i'll pick up GATE again, but nothing else has caught my attention.
Try Dimension W.

jonjonaug

Grimgar 2 - I'm surprised Manato can even walk around while carrying all these death flags. The goblin fight was ok.

Active Raid 2 - Much better than the first episode. The action scene and episode plot were both pretty solid.

Rakugo 2 - So much better than everything else airing this season that it's sort of hilarious.

wonzo

Banned
I only watch Dagashi because of Hotaru, it's pretty boring and unfunny otherwise.

otoh

CY_QNZ9UoAAz2ap.jpg:orig

Dimension W is pretty legit so far, though the action isn't amazing just yet. Definitely has potential for it.

Bubuki Buranki has some nice action if you aren't allergic to CG.

That's about it for action this season that isn't light novel trash. Erased is probably the show of the season, but that's not action.

blurr

Rakugo, Dimension W, DagashiKashi, DrrrX2, Erased

Shorts: Sekkou Boys, Galkochan, Ojisan to Marshmallow

Try Dimension W.

looks like it'll be pretty heavy on exposition but i'll give it a shot.

Rakugo, Erased, Snow White, Haikyu, Stride, Gundam, BBK/BRKSK.

think i'll stay away from snow white season 2. as much as i'm curious to see where the story goes, i don't think i can sit through another innocuous season.

Dimension W is pretty legit so far, though the action isn't amazing just yet. Definitely has potential for it.

Bubuki Buranki has some nice action if you aren't allergic to CG.

That's about it for action this season that isn't light novel trash. Erased is probably the show of the season, but that's not action.

sci fi and mystery are cool too and i like a really good rom/com, but haven't seen anything yet. Hell, i'm not even seeing any throwaway cross anges. Maybe I should undrop Valkyrie Drive.
kappa.png

Thanks guys, will look into the suggestions thus far. Last season was kinda lame too except GOAT ONE PUNCH MAN

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 176:

Right then, the focus episodes continue almost right on schedule but this one is actually a bit of a joint session in that while Rei is in focus this episode as her school serves as the backdrop for the victim of the week the focus is Seiya, the apparently leader of The Three Lights. Indeed this is something that the manga kind of really dropped the ball on when I think about it as my biggest problem with The Starlights there is they were bland and quite frankly indistinct personality wise, which didn't help once The Sailor War started to get really heavy. In the anime here they not only have a chance to shine at the requisite new characters with the room to breathe but they can have individual episodes so that they can actually get fleshed out a bit. Anyway the set up here is that The Three Lights have been cast in a very dated stage production as there is no excuse to be wearing leg warmers in 1996 but the director really hate Seiya's performance for reasons that can't be explained until the climax and makes her a shitty director. The big upshot of this episode is that Seiya is revealed to be Sailor Starfighter and thus the big controversy of the age begins and indeed the final headache that kept this season from being localized for 15 years. More on that in the future.

Concrete Revolutio 1-13 (End)

I feel like I might have missed a lot since I only got a vague sense of the overall timeline across the episodes, and whether or not some of the dates were supposed to reference real life events. It was still overall pretty entertaining and I did like it, but I wish I had watched while airing so I could have followed discussions about it.

Dresden

Erased - 1, 2

there's a moment near the end of 2 where Satoru is reflecting on Kayo's domestic situation, imagining a beating taking place, thinking about how powerless she is; there's only so much a ten year old girl can do, he thinks. Of course, he's ten years old too, no matter how he dreams of being a hero (and I suppose his composition in that collection must be about it, just like how Kayo's deals with being 'erased.' Rather blunt, but I guess they are meant to be kids). I wonder if the show will deal with that more, the terror of being a child, of powerlessness, where foreknowledge stems out into all sorts of scenarios made impossible by the body that his awareness is trapped in. That's certainly more interesting than the whodunit.

'never changes'
war never changes
people die in war
death = murder
murder = murder3r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom