• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
HFeZBIu.jpg

me on the left, betrayed

Szadek

I'm still consider dropping Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm and Active Raid, but other than that this season I will watch:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Dagashi Kashi
Dimension W
Norn9: Norn+Nonet
Prince of Stride: Alternative
Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 177:

The joint session focus episodes continue and this time thematically at least this was a stronger episode by having Taiki cast as a direct counterpoint to Ami. On the other hand the overall lesson on display was puzzling to the point where Ami was acting a bit out of character as she was extolling the virtues of dreams and romanticism in the field of astronomy. Yea, no, I suppose those ideas might have a place in one of the hard sciences but that is something that is guided by facts, logic and verification which is kind of the opposite of the intended message here. Oh, also they have been trying to recreate the dynamic the Inners had with the Outers in the S season by having the Starlights use supposedly lethal methods and it just doesn't work here because the Starlights are far too reasonable.

Ascheroth

Damn you hosanna, now I want to watch Garo. But Dragon's Dogma says no.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar ep 2:

Ummm wow. Don't think an an mmo turned real anime has shown this perspective before. They are in an mmo right? The pacing is slow but the details are plentiful. That goblin fight was something. It makes me wonder if this anime will have a tragedy label on it or not.

It's not an mmo.

Taruranto

No, not the loli! #15

I bet the only reason chocolate man showed in the colony is because he heard of the loli abuse going on. This dude is sick.

But more importantly, will Shino turn gay and give Yamagi the D.?
Find out next week in Okada soap-opera in space: sometimes also feauting giant robots from the popular Gundam series.

Jintor

Utena 6

holy shit the dumbass kendo club captain turning up midway through the story and everybody ignoring him slayed me

oh my god and then the reveal with nanami close up on the recording equipment

zoom out

SHE'S LITERALLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KID TALKING

as far as filler goes, this was pretty great

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 1-13 (End)

I feel like I might have missed a lot since I only got a vague sense of the overall timeline across the episodes, and whether or not some of the dates were supposed to reference real life events. It was still overall pretty entertaining and I did like it, but I wish I had watched while airing so I could have followed discussions about it.

I think early discussion was mostly about it being confusing early on due to the jumping around . There's an official chronology on the jp site here: http://concreterevolutio.com/special/?page=chronological

I'm slowly going through the eps again and trying to construct a slightly more detailed timeline but it'll be a while before that's done. Definitely before the second cour though lol

edit: huh that shows Earth-chan as appearing in ep 3 but I don't remember seeing here in that ep. I even doublechecked after duckroll brought it up

duckroll

Garo the Animation - Episode 10

Wow, this was great from start to finish. The opening scenes with Leon and Alfonso declaring their partnership, the Mendoza flashbacks, the ridiculous over the top comedy about Alfonso's mom, the castle infiltration, leading up to the confrontation with Bernardo. The direction is really impressive, with some excellent framing, really creative camerawork and transitions, and top notch art direction. The music is great too. Dark fantasy done right!

Garo the Animation - Episode 11

The production values took a hit here again, but lucky for us the fight between Bernardo and Germain is mostly in CG, and it was pretty cool seeing them go while with the full mounts and the chain whips and whatnot. The episode was pretty predictable, but no less entertaining. Again, the way the show uses flashbacks is very effective because it gives it a very cinematic scope where the audience is seeing all the events unfold without it being just a long exposition dialogue, and that makes the entire setting feel much richer. Bernardo is really a dumbass though, if that's really all it took to break him and turn him against everyone. The soundtrack during the fight was really good!

Gonna take a break and then watch the mid-season climax. :)

Garo the Animation - Episode 10

the ridiculous over the top comedy about Alfonso's mom

Comedy?

Garo the Animation - Episode 11

Bernardo is really a dumbass though, if that's really all it took to break him and turn him against everyone.

The earliest flashback with him makes it clear that he always had dark tendencies, plus
with how he reverted back right before his death, it seems likely that Mendoza did something directly to him to brainwash him when he burned him up.
[/QUOTE]

duckroll

Garo the Animation - Episode 12

Damn, that was intense. I love effects animation, so it was nice to see all that fire everywhere. The production design is also really interesting because the first half the episode with the Berserk Garo felt like watching a (good) Devil May Cry anime boss fight, while the Blood Moon stuff in the second half was something right out of a Final Fantasy game or something. Super cool stuff. The episode is also really well paced, seeing how they managed to fit in two major fights, and still have time for a long epilogue of sorts which closes this chapter of the story in a really dark and bittersweet way even with all the optimism.

The way the show approaches the subject matter works really well, because it never feels like it's going for cheap emotions or using tragedy to invoke artificial feelings, but rather it simply shows a broken world which really needs to be saved, and I appreciate that the heroes are imperfect people filled with flaws and inexperience, but have the right heart to try their best even though everything is pretty much shit. I think in some ways, it handles dark fantasy better than even Berserk.

---

At first Germain thought he was Anna's illegitimate child and was being reaaaally emo about it. Lol. He's a real rascal!

Fireblend

Banned
I've been lurking this thread lately as I always do whenever a new season comes around to figure out what to watch (been enjoying Boku dake ga Inai Machi immensely), and I just want to say: You guys talk too much, wtf. Seriously no other thread is as much of a pain to lurk as this one, everytime I check on it there's like 7 new pages. smh.

Also, I noticed some people discussing Giant Bomb here the other day and I thought I'd link to their latest anime content.

Qurupeke

I've been lurking this thread lately as I always do whenever a new season comes around to figure out what to watch (been enjoying Boku dake ga Inai Machi immensely), and I just want to say: You guys talk too much, wtf. Seriously no other thread is as much of a pain to lurk as this one, everytime I check on it there's like 7 new pages. smh.

Also, I noticed some people discussing Giant Bomb here the other day and I thought I'd link to their latest anime content.

I had this problem too when I lurked. People say that the thread moved even faster a few years ago. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is the post about a show you don't watch? Skim past it.
Is the post about something boring like staff lists? Like, does anyone really who know these people are seriously. Skim past it.
Does the post have a tumblr gif in it? Skim past it.
Is the post by someone other than me? Skim past it.

Theonik

Is the post about a show you don't watch? Skim past it.
Is the post about something boring like staff lists? Like, does anyone really know these people are seriously. Skim past it.
Does the post have a tumblr gif in it? Skim past it.
Is the post by someone other than me? Skim past it.
image.php

Link Man

Banned
So, I decided to check out Haruchika, and it's...okay. The mystery/puzzle aspect is interesting, and the love triangle (well, unrequited love I guess) is something I haven't really seen before, but it just seems a bit too disjointed at times. Feels like it's trying to do to much, and that hurts the flow of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had this problem too when I lurked. People say that the thread moved even faster a few years ago. lol
At it's peak, I think each season had 3 or 4 OTs. A lot of people are gone now, particularly cajun, so it's much slower. I'd guess it's at around 2010 levels.

At it's peak, I think each season had 3 or 4 OTs. A lot of people are gone now, particularly cajun, so it's much slower. I'd guess it's at around 2010 levels.

I miss Cajun and his positivity. Guy always took his time to talk to everyone, specially those who didn't get much attention.

As for how to properly lurk on this thread, yeah, you don't need to read everyone's posts. We have a lot of banter here, this is a community after all, not a review website/blog. I'd still go out and say this thread isn't all that bad in terms of off topic talk, and it isn't that fast either. I can go a whole day without coming on and catch up quite quickly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I miss Cajun and his positivity. Guy always took his time to talk to everyone, specially those who didn't get much attention.

As for how to properly lurk on this thread, yeah, you don't need to read everyone's posts. We have a lot of banter here, this is a community after all, not a review website/blog. I'd still go out and say this thread isn't all that bad in terms of off topic talk, and it isn't that fast either. I can go a whole day without coming on and catch up quite quickly.
I can't remember when we started bolding show titles, but we just did that to make it easier to scan for whatever show you want to read about. I know there was a time before we did that and you can only imagine how hard the thread would be to follow without any signposts.
(We didn't really do screencaps either)

I can't remember when we started bolding show titles, but we just did that to make it easier to scan for whatever show you want to read about. I know there was a time before we did that and you can only imagine how hard the thread would be to follow without any signposts.

Those certainly help. In my case I like to skim through posts to read whatever everyone is up to, but without reading too much into impression posts (the ones that are bolded) until I get the chance to watch the episode that night. After I finish watching everything, I'll just go back and read those ones only to see whether everyone's opinions are in line with mine. I haven't been nearly as active as I used to before, but this system works for me. Life is taking over my time these days lol.

duckroll

I actually recall a period where screencaps were used a lot more and in meaningful ways, but it kinda stopped once the thread moved too fast and it was clear that effort was being wasted because of the signal to noise ratio.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, bolding is a community procedure? That's just something I've always done.
Doing some brief reading, it looks like it really started in the Fall 2009 thread. I'm not sure if that carried over from MangaGAF, since I see Fnordchan doing it.

I actually recall a period where screencaps were used a lot more and in meaningful ways, but it kinda stopped once the thread moved too fast and it was clear that effort was being wasted because of the signal to noise ratio.
During the peak of a year or so ago, yeah. I remember trying to find caps to make a point, but at some point trying to show shot selection and editing became kind of pointless. lol

Those certainly help. In my case I like to skim through posts to read whatever everyone is up to, but without reading too much into impression posts (the ones that are bolded) until I get the chance to watch the episode that night. After I finish watching everything, I'll just go back and read those ones only to see whether everyone's opinions are in line with mine. I haven't been nearly as active as I used to before, but this system works for me. Life is taking over my time these days lol.
Everyone grows out of the thread eventually it seems. I can't believe there was a time when me or Jexhius were the anime thread spammers.

Hattori

Banned
Erased
Intense first episode. It definitely got my attention for this season. I knew halfway what was going to happen but it was executed in a way that still kept me engaged throughout.
Also, The MC has a unique sounding VA, reminds me of Urabe from Mysterious Girlfriend X which is not a bad thing.

Ace of Diamond Second Season Episode 41

My ACE! Kawakami ftw. One of the most intense non Furuya, non Sawamura episodes weve ever had.

Also Todoroki's classmates coming and seeing him. Im still shocked by how he is so shy and nervous and to himself whenever he is not doing baseball stuff. Their reactions was amazing.

So what's the purpose of Erased having a action animator for episode 3? It doesn't seem like the type of series that contains action.

Duckroll bless me with your knowledge.

Russ T

Banned
I italicize by preference, but noticed that people bold here, so I try to do that instead. I often forget, though, and end up doing neither.

...Unrelated, is there a Chrome extension to enable ctrl+b/ctrl+i, etc shortcuts for posting on GAF? Other forums I use have that built in. D:

Everyone grows out of the thread eventually it seems. I can't believe there was a time when me or Jexhius were the anime thread spammers.

You guys still pop in every once in awhile though. But yeah I totally get what you mean. On days like today in which I'm off work/school you'll definitely see me post more. Or on days before tests. I go into full on procrastination mode LOL. On days that a show is on, for sure I will at least give my impression post for it too, so at the very least I post once on those days.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You guys still pop in every once in awhile though. But yeah I totally get what you mean. On days like today in which I'm off work/school you'll definitely see me post more. Or on days before tests. I go into full on procrastination mode LOL. On days that a show is on, for sure I will at least give my impression post for it too, so at the very least I post once on those days.
It doesn't help that I haven't really watched anime until recently, and this season has been kind of terrible...

I italicize by preference, but noticed that people bold here, so I try to do that instead. I often forget, though, and end up doing neither.

...Unrelated, is there a Chrome extension to enable ctrl+b/ctrl+i, etc shortcuts for posting on GAF? Other forums I use have that built in. D:
There's an extension that allows for quick posting/editing/replies that you can find. It has all the important functions as buttons, but also supports hot keys.

So what's the purpose of Erased having a action animator for episode 3? It doesn't seem like the type of series that contains action.

Maybe something like this.

I'm not sure I would take any recommendations from here...
:p

ibyea

Banned

You should have been there at its peak when I used to lurk. Following the thread was really hard. XD

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You only think this season is terrible because you didn't watch anything last year, firehawk.

It doesn't help that I haven't really watched anime until recently, and this season has been kind of terrible...

Most of the shows this season have been better than average, honestly. You have some real duds like Divine Gate and PSO2, but besides those the worst shows are - in my opinion obviously - Pandora in the Crimson Shell and Luck and Logic (both of which have at least a few people in this thread who enjoy them).

Everything else is better than the average comparable show. Grimgar and Konosuba are both shaping up to be better than the average "stuck in a fantasy world" show, Nurse Witch KOMUGI is hilarious at times, etc. On average, I feel like the shows are better. Maybe not to the point where they are fantastic, but most of it is enjoyable to at least some extent.

duckroll

Maybe he's trying to branch out? It's not unusual that action animators who want to get into directing gigs want to expand their range. Kameda specifically took on the Gargantia gig because it allowed him to animate stuff other than action and effects, and we've seen that an action animator turned action director like Ando has also been trying very hard to work on stuff which isn't just action packed, just to have a more balanced portfolio.

Shikama has done non-action animation before too, it's just not very common:

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/11443/
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/6154/

Even though they aren't posted as often I still like reading the long form impressions people have of episodes.

i.e. Jarmel's Erased episode 2 impressions.

I should probably say that more often to those that do it. I appreciate those post even though I rarely comment on them their impressions because I feel like my two sentences saying that will be woefully inadequate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What this community needs again is a show one can all rally around. Sword Art Online was at least good for that.

Hattori

Banned
Erased - 2
Yup, I'm hooked. This episode is even better than the first. Also, the switch to letterboxing is a great choice, it really adds to the bleak atmosphere they're trying to convey.

phaze

Mawaru Penguindrum 1-7

I really should have listened to you guys when you recommended this anime because it's really good so far. Damn.
Good pick !

You want to know what really seals it with how dry the mecha well has been as of late?

How many mecha shows released lately have actually had a large focus on the robots themselves?

Most of the time they're really just, "there". Like anime studios just put giant robots in their shows because they're anime and anime has giant robots sometimes.

It sounds like you need to watch Aldnoah.Zero. Inaho grows so attached to his, inferior, training model he refuses to trade it for the proper military ones !

And every Marsian has his own mech with unique moveset and because of the feudal nature of their society, deep and long running connection between the pilot and his mecha.
Texhonolyze - 01

scratches head

Huh...okay?

Non Non Biyori Repeat 11

This show teaches socially irresponsible and health damaging behaviour like jumping off the bridges into rivers. Disgusting.

Also, I refuse to believe cell phone are such a big deal even in the most isolated and decrepit corners of Japan.

Yami Shibai S3 02
Yeah, this was bad. More funny than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom