• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What this community needs again is a show one can all rally around. Sword Art Online was at least good for that.

I vote Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle.

Speaking of which....

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle 2

This show is terrible and full of cliches, but it's fun to watch. This looks like it'll be my guilty pleasure for the season. Nothing truly good to say about it, aside from the fact that it's unashamed of what it is, but I've still enjoyed both episodes so far. I feel like this is the IS 2 we deserved.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 11
Gosh, and this show now adds another layer of mystery with Claude, an obnoxiously judgmental guy. He also has a creepy design, and the final scene with him was chilling. Anyways, hopefully the show have put all its cards on the table and now they can get to closing the plot threads.

This episode was just okay. Probably just a setup towards the finale. It also has some heavy handed political message with the American human experimentation thing. Honestly I don't care much about it, at least when it comes to this episode. Maybe I will feel better about it once I watch the next two episodes.

pbayne

Garo the Animation 12

Now this is how you do a mid-show climax. I don't even know where the series is going to go from here. They've blown the lid off of much of what the narrative was working towards up to now, even more than I was anticipating, so what the back half is going to be is truly a mystery to me.

Theres one line of dialogue that bugged the hell out of me in that episode and I don't know if anyone else agrees. Garo 12 in case of spoilers
Alfonso berating and challenging Leon for the armour. Like its so out of character at that moment for Alfonso to kick him when he's down.

Edit: Also robots with capes did anyone mention Escaflowne or Diebuster?

Theres one line of dialogue that bugged the hell out of me in that episode and I don't know if anyone else agrees. Garo 12 in case of spoilers
Alfonso berating and challenging Leon for the armour. Like its so out of character at that moment for Alfonso to kick him when he's down.
I didn't think that at all.
It was Alfonso finally coming into his own as a Prince/Soon to be King. This was his moment to shine by taking command and the armor and he did it beautifully.

Also, I refuse to believe cell phone are such a big deal even in the most isolated and decrepit corners of Japan.

Getting your first cellphone is a big deal growing up in the most isolated and decrepit corners of America.

Source: Grew up in the middle of a cornfield in Indiana

pbayne

I didn't think that at all.
It was Alfonso finally coming into his own as a Prince/Soon to be King. This was his moment to shine by taking command and the armor and he did it beautifully.

Id agree to an extent and yes Leon deserved to be berated but I just found it really unusual for Alfonso to challenge him when the guy is completely physically and mentally broken.

Like Alfonso is the most stoic, upright character in the show so you'd expect a little more compassion from him.

duckroll

But Alfonso took no pleasure in it. He was doing what needed to be done because no one else could do it. Deep down at the end he admitted that if he had been tested instead he might have failed too, but he has to let Leon recover and stand up on his own. They have their pride as knights. It's a harsh world.

jbug617

Banned
Your Lie in April Bluray Sets are $129.98 each at RS
Saekano Bluray Sets are $69.98 each at RS

YLIA Set 1: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Your-Lie-in-April-Set-1-Blu-ray
Contains episodes 1-11 plus the original soundtrack CD vol. 1 by Masaru Yokoyama, collectible post cards.
Special Features: Textless Opening and Ending, Audio Commentary (Ep. 1)
Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles
YLIA Set 2: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Your-Lie-in-April-Set-2-Blu-ray
Contains episodes 12-22 plus the original soundtrack CD vol. 2 by Masaru Yokoyama, collectible post cards.
Special Features: Textless Opening and Ending, Audio Commentary (Ep. 22), Bloopers
Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles

Saekano Set 1: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Saekano-Set-1-Blu-ray
Contains episodes 0-5 (6 episodes) plus illustration post cards, clear cases with 2-sided wraps.
Special Features: Textless Opening and Ending, Promo Videos, Web Previews.
Spoken Languages: Japanese with English subtitles.
Saekano Set 2: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Saekano-Set-2-Blu-ray
Contains episodes 6-12 plus illustration post cards, clear cases with 2-sided wraps.
Special Features: Web Previews.
Spoken Languages: Japanese with English subtitles.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
There are a few really solid anime this season.
Rakugo, Dimension W, Erased and grimgar are all ranging from great to amazing.

pbayne

=Zoba;192534974

i like a really good rom/com, but haven't seen anything yet.

Late reply but check out Nijiiro Days from this season if you want a romcom

Its only 10 minutes an episode and focuses on 4 different couples. Its been a lot of fun so far.

Ah... I forgot there isn't anything new on Mondays. :/ Who wants to play some Arms Race on Counter Strike while I waste away on my one free day of the week?

I just realized the one day that I don't work or have classes is the one day nothing comes on.

Shirayuki-hime and Bahamut. Shoujo and smut is a great mix for a Mon.

I'm always up for Shoujo. But I can't get myself to start Shirayuki for some reason. I'll get to it one day.

I actually ended up dropping GATE until it finishes since I just couldn't get back into it. I'll restart the whole thing eventually.

Cornbread78

Grimgar ep.2
Well sone episode, well outside of the last 2 mins because they always have to use at least 1 perverted guy on the party. The musical interlude was good and the battle good as well. I guess we will learn how each character's job works little by little.

Ah... I forgot there isn't anything new on Mondays. :/ Who wants to play some Arms Race on Counter Strike while I waste away on my one free day of the week?

Shirayuki-hime and Bahamut. Shoujo and smut is a great mix for a Mon.

Texhonolyze - 01

scratches head

Huh...okay?

Guys, let's see if he follows the chart!
HeNslzK.png

I can't remember when we started bolding show titles, but we just did that to make it easier to scan for whatever show you want to read about. I know there was a time before we did that and you can only imagine how hard the thread would be to follow without any signposts.
(We didn't really do screencaps either)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was just mangagaf people importing the tradition to animegaf since there's a bunch of crossover.

JulianImp

Getting your first cellphone is a big deal growing up in the most isolated and decrepit corners of America.

And I had just watched that episode during lunch today! Got to say I like Non Non Biyori the most when the gags have Renge in them, though. Her interactions with candy store are simply the best, and S1E4 was also amazing.

That other girl who was with them (whose name I don't remember) is really bland IMO, and the Hotaru-Komori interactions are a bit boring with how with Komori would always try to behave according to her age but fail, and Hotaru would then go squee over her cute chibi-sempai.

Yesterday I ended up watching the latest episode of Durarara, and I've got to say I'm sadly not really feeling this second season as a whole. Baccano was great because things were complicated at first but the plot stuck to two main threads that worked well, just like how DRRR S1 had the main thread of Mikado, Anri and Masaomi's relationship and how they all kept secrets from each other. S2, however, has so many plot threads tied together:
  • Mikado purging the Dollars from within with Aoba's "help", and Masaomi returning to Ikebukuro and summoning the Yellow Scarves again to stand up against them
  • Kadota, the public face of the Dollars, becoming the victim of a hit-and-run
  • Celty getting closer to recovering her head
  • A minor Saika showing up and helping Izaya (keeping track of all the different people each Saika controls is really hard)
  • Shizuo's having Varona and the little girl from the Awakusu group with him, with both secretly plotting to kill him
  • That girl who took over Yadogiri's position as a mob boss and uses lots of proxies of him to run her business
  • That quiet idol girl who's with Shizuo's younger brother and has the ability to heal her wounds extremely quickly
  • Shinra's father doing lots of sketchy deals behind his son's back
It's just too much stuff to reliably keep track off, and the fact that many characters have a hand in several of those subplots at once (which are probably all linked together in some way, most likely thanks to Izaya) makes it even harder to tell what's actually going on most of the time. I get that the show's about the secrets people keep from each other, but I think there're way too many layers of secrecy now.

Jex

Erased - 1, 2

there's a moment near the end of 2 where Satoru is reflecting on Kayo's domestic situation, imagining a beating taking place, thinking about how powerless she is; there's only so much a ten year old girl can do, he thinks. Of course, he's ten years old too, no matter how he dreams of being a hero (and I suppose his composition in that collection must be about it, just like how Kayo's deals with being 'erased.' Rather blunt, but I guess they are meant to be kids). I wonder if the show will deal with that more, the terror of being a child, of powerlessness, where foreknowledge stems out into all sorts of scenarios made impossible by the body that his awareness is trapped in. That's certainly more interesting than the whodunit.
So what you're trying to say it's like that one fight in Stardust Crusaders where Polnareff becomes a child?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sea of Stars

God I missed Kircheis being Kircheis.

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 80

Oof, that was a rough episode, featuring the revelation that a woman who was raised as a boy wanted to marry another woman. It handled it a little better than I expect an anime to handle that sort of concept, especially a comedy anime, but still was a bit gross.

However this arc, and that concept, did deliver the sentence, "Will you be the balls between my legs?", so I'm incredibly conflicted.

Jex

Doing some brief reading, it looks like it really started in the Fall 2009 thread. I'm not sure if that carried over from MangaGAF, since I see Fnordchan doing it.
Okay, I'll admit that I made a concerted push to make that the standard format and I borrowed it from reading MangaGAF. When I say "concerted push" I mean I was posting the most so it was more of a lead by filling the thread with my posts kind of thing.

There aren't too many threads on this forum that contain people taking about multiple properties so it made it a lot easier to read.

Although really I think the ideal format includes [ ] just so that you can clearly separate the title of the series out from the episode number e.g. [Cowboy Bebop] - 1. This is mainly to help with any show title that happens to also include a number.

Dagashi Kashi 02 Not that funny but still alright. Saya >
Schwarzesmarken 02 Liking this one. I liked the part where they kicked her ass a bit too much.
Boku dake ga Inai Machi 02 Still damn amazing. And also wow, kid characters that are not annoying.
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm 02 Asuka being a bit to expressive is really terrible. Rika recycled scene again? The worst part is that this isn't the end of her being dumb and exposing herself.
Yuri Yuri - Oh no, only last season to go before it ends :<.

ViciousDS

Banned
based on the images alone.....I will not be watching Ikki Tousen. Sorry, Just every damn anime does the whole women is naked but kicks ass trope way to fucking much and its annoying. They honestly can wear clothes and be badass.....can't stand anime that does the trash image.

thenexus6

Finished Samurai Champloo

I watched the first episode last year and wasn't really feeling it. I did however start listening to the music, and discovered some of the coolest tracks i've ever heard. I'd listen to it while playing my PS4 online in the background, so I figured i'd give the show another shot.

I am going to compare it a little to Bebop. I love Samurai stuff, but Bebop was way better. Apart from the cool style, awesome music, and some cool scenes it was a little boring at times. The dub was only good for the main characters, some of the others were laughably bad.

And the animation quality at times was really low quality, it was like I was watching Naruto filler or something. Really undetailed and disproportionate faces.. I remember Bebop was on point every single episode.

I don't know, because it was short, Watanabe and the music I watched it another wise I probably would've.

Ah well, at least i've discovered some cool new music which i'm really digging at the moment.

Next I am going to start Gangsta which I know nothing about.. / Kids on the Slope (sub or dub for this one?)

Terror in Resonance 4

Y'all fools better start listening to old man detective. He's no stranger to the game.

Can't be said enough, but this music. It's just so good. It perfectly fits this show. The art and animation is on point too.

Terror in Resonance 5

Yo, I am loving this so far. That was a damn good episode. Glad to see
that these two aren't killers
, though I pretty much figured that out already, based on their past actions.

Oh my, number 5.
Knew that kid didn't die in the flashback! You don't just kill off a white/silver haired character like that.

based on the images alone.....I will not be watching Ikki Tousen. Sorry, Just every damn anime does the whole women is naked but kicks ass trope way to fucking much and its annoying. They honestly can wear clothes and be badass.....can't stand anime that does the trash image.

I think (hope?) they were joking when they suggested that.

Utawarerumono was described to me as "Dynasty Warriors the Anime" by a friend I watched it with, but since I haven't played Dynasty Warriors I can't vouch for that. :c

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 12-13, end
Wow, yeah with that revelation I can see why Jirou left the superhuman bureau. It is an explosive finale, all right, but it is also a mess. First, the things they did right, which is the Superhuman Bureau's past catching up to them and tying that to the Knight's story, and Jirou's admiration for the Knight. If this isn't a strong motivation for Jirou to leave, I don't know what is. Oh yeah, and his dad was involved in it, so... yeah anime dads keep being worst dads. Then there is Claude, a victim of human experimentation, and in an impassioned speech, he declares there is no justice. It's a powerful moment considering everything we know about who the "good guys" were turned upside down. In the end, the show, as it has been doing from the start, consistently highlights the complicated nature of conflicts.

But at the end of the episode, it sort of left me underwhelmed. Firstly, they should have revealed what was up with Kikko in episode 12 because let me tell you, her action in that episode left me more confused than intrigued. And it sort of amounted to nothing because when they recovered her I felt nothing. Secondly, the political theme is heavy handed. Think about it, the one cameo appearance from the immortal family happened because two of them needed to discuss the message behind what was happening. Was it really necessary in the middle of the action to cut to that conversation? I don't think so, and I don't know how relevant that conversation was. What else was the purpose of that Hiroshima scene at the end other than to bring in some unneeded political symbolism? I think sticking that in the end was unnecessary and should have been stuck in the next season when maybe they could develop the idea. Thirdly, it was a mess pacing wise. Things happened fast and then it feels like it increasingly sped up. The end happened so quickly that at the end I asked myself, "that's it?". It just felt like a series of cuts, and it happened all towards a nonsensical scene where everyone sings the kumbaya while some of the side characters go and help Jirou despite the fact that many of them had bad feelings on him. Anyways, the pacing completely undermines a lot of the emotional impact and doesn't leave any breathing room for reflection.

I feel bad for ragging on the finale because I enjoyed it, but considering the good writing I have seen for some of the other episodes, I don't think I am wrong to hold this in a higher standard. I am hopeful for the next season though. Can't wait to see what happens during the mid/late 40s of the Shinka era. They have been teasing us so much about it, they better deliver!

Qurupeke

Osomatsu-san 15

Hey, this delivered another sad romance story. :'(

Also, this episode proves why Karamatsu is the best matsu and why Jyushimatsu is the worst. Sorry, I was beginning to like him but the first skit made me hate him even more.

pbayne

Finished Samurai Champloo

I watched the first episode last year and wasn't really feeling it. I did however start listening to the music, and discovered some of the coolest tracks i've ever heard. I'd listen to it while playing my PS4 online in the background, so I figured i'd give the show another shot.

I am going to compare it a little to Bebop. I love Samurai stuff, but Bebop was way better. Apart from the cool style, awesome music, and some cool scenes it was a little boring at times. The dub was only good for the main characters, some of the others were laughably bad.

And the animation quality at times was really low quality, it was like I was watching Naruto filler or something. Really undetailed and disproportionate faces.. I remember Bebop was on point every single episode.

I don't know, because it was short, Watanabe and the music I watched it another wise I probably would've.

Ah well, at least i've discovered some cool new music which i'm really digging at the moment.

Next I am going to start Gansta which I know nothing about.. / Kids on the Slope (sub or dub for this one?)

I think you mean Gangsta and id say avoid it. It fizzles out in the second half and has a horrendous non-finish ending.

For Kids on the Slope id say go for the dub. Theres a bit of awkwardness in one or two scenes when they have to sing in Japanese but otherwise it's a fantastic dub.

Has there been any Opening or Ending this season where you keep on hitting the replay button multiple times.

Well for me it's the Erased Ending and the Rakugo opening song.

Garo the Animation - Episode 12

The way the show approaches the subject matter works really well, because it never feels like it's going for cheap emotions or using tragedy to invoke artificial feelings, but rather it simply shows a broken world which really needs to be saved, and I appreciate that the heroes are imperfect people filled with flaws and inexperience, but have the right heart to try their best even though everything is pretty much shit. I think in some ways, it handles dark fantasy better than even Berserk.

When I originally heard that Garo was a tokusatsu franchise known for throwing in a lot of dark adult content, I thought this might end up being like one of those cable TV dramas that inserts gratuitous sex and violence to try to keep viewers engaged by shock value. Maybe the live action entries are like that, I don't know, but I'm glad this didn't turn out that way. There are sex scenes and brutal violence, but they're handled in a way such that they feel important to the characters and the world setting, such as the latter drives the former instead of the other way around. So it feels genuinely mature, not M for Mature.

At first Germain thought he was Anna's illegitimate child and was being reaaaally emo about it. Lol. He's a real rascal!

Ah, right. I was thinking of Alfonso's actual mother being imprisoned, not German's ridiculous "Was I not good enough for Anna?" freakout.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 15

Well that was... a bit of a let down actually.
Fumitan's betrayal kinda falls flat and nothing about this episode was particularly noteworthy aside from the stuff involving Biscuit's brother. Turns out he wasn't the complete asshole asshole I was expecting. That said it had it's moments, most of which come near the end. And holy shit at Atra getting the shit kicked out of her.

So not exactly what I was expecting. Not bad but probably among the least interesting episodes so far.

phaze

Has there been any Opening or Ending this season where you keep on hitting the replay button multiple times.

Well for me it's the Erased Ending and the Rakugo opening song.

Had Erased ED on repeat for way too long.

Guys, let's see if he follows the chart!

Which version ?

But I imagine that was quite a few years ago, when calls weren't yet as proliferated as now ?

Stop shaking my faith in the first world !
Oh hell no, lol.

I do need recs this week though. Something action/adventure hopefully.

Afro Samurai.

On hulu and Funi from what I see.

Mononoke 07

TERRIBLE subs this episode. WTF Crunchyroll? This episode had two people talking at once a lot, but instead of doing the thing everyone else does and have two different lines, the same one just kept switching around every second and a half making it a nightmare to read, that is if the other voices were subbed at all. Do we really need to read the same line 20 times when someone else is talking? Yeah, I get it. She's saying "No" and "Mother, listen to me" because she's been saying that for the last 10 minutes.

top secert info.

It's not, she's on TV! Atra and Kudelia don't even look alike! The soldiers even thought she was way too young to be Kudelia! WHY WOULD YOU NOT TELL YOUR DUDES WHAT THE PERSON YOU ARE LOOKING FOR LOOKS LIKE

Trust Kaiki and play some Monogatari slotmachine.

https://youtu.be/C8Yq4-gqMbA

I think Pachinko is going beyond even Kaiki's morals

I actually recall a period where screencaps were used a lot more and in meaningful ways, but it kinda stopped once the thread moved too fast and it was clear that effort was being wasted because of the signal to noise ratio.

Hey, sometimes I do that. Just wait for the next JoJo OP.

Of course it would be, Kirito is perfect boyfriend material.I wouldnt be able to take my eyes off the screen.

Any harem protag would be a terrible boyfriend.

Except Rito. He is pure.

Okay, I figured it out boys. I know what Studio Bone's game plan is.

They carefully and meticulously made something so cute that even a bitter jaded fuck like me can forget himself and go awwwwwww.

God help us all if they figure out a way to weaponize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom