• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Finished reading Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer...holy shit someone make an anime of this or Solainn now.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (World's Greatest First Love) 1-6

Why are shounen ai so comfortable with portraying an adult relationship but its like considered the plague in shoujos? I know you write for your audiences expectations(and I am a big fan of them) but still it'd be nice to see more romances set outside of school.

Anyways good so far. There's a bit too much "Oh two guys can't love each other" but eh the characters are still enjoyable.

Sterok

Shirayukijime 14

Ah yeah, Obi is going with her. He's still the coolest and works well with Shirayuki. Izana seems to be using this to test Zen and Shirayuki. Raj continues to be the funniest character, and that's going to continue to the next episode.

Prince of Stride Alternative 2

Here you can really start to see how Riku has been made the main character of the anime, instead of Sakurai as in the original game. Riku seems like an interesting character, especially in his relationship with his absent brother which is strongly implied to have fallen apart sometime in middle school, so I'm looking forward to seeing what will be done with him.

Has there been any Opening or Ending this season where you keep on hitting the replay button multiple times.

Well for me it's the Erased Ending and the Rakugo opening song.

I'm not too fond of the Erased ED. The song is good, and the visuals are striking, but there isn't a coherent throughline linking each shot to the next, so it comes off rather scattershot. It compares unfavorably to some of Ishihama's past work such as his Welcome to the NHK OP and Yama no Susume S2 OP, which work well as unified sequences. I prefer the Erased OP, which is really strong and coherent.

I like the Dimension W opening song and the new Gintama one.

The Dimension W OP is fine, but not Umetsu's best work. I prefer Ebata's solo ED for its attractive animation.

New Haikyuu OP is already the GOAT

The new Haikyuu OP certainly meets the solid standards of past Haikyuu OPs, but I prefer Nishio's solo ED which has a great style and great drawings.

Also, for not being animated per se, the Prince of Stride Alternative ED is quite nice.

Finished reading Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer...holy shit someone make an anime of this or Solainn now.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (World's Greatest First Love) 1-6

Why are shounen ai so comfortable with portraying an adult relationship but its like considered the plague in shoujos? I know you write for your audiences expectations(and I am a big fan of them) but still it'd be nice to see more romances set outside of school.

Anyways good so far. There's a bit too much "Oh two guys can't love each other" but eh the characters are still enjoyable.

Onodera is so good. Yuu Yanase was my overall favorite.

Unlike Junjou all of the Sekaiichi plots are interesting.

Kyuur

Finished up watching the first episode of everything new this season (non-sequels), and I think I'll watch the following for at least a couple episodes:

Ajin (despite the horrible subs I watched, is this being streamed legally anywhere?)
Erased
BBK/BRKN
Dimension W
Girls Beyond the Wasteland

Also watched a bit of "Please tell me! GALKO-chan", any other fun non-full length series going right now? It was pretty alright, kind of refreshing to watch short skits like that. I loved binge watching "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" too.

Also watched a bit of "Please tell me! GALKO-chan", any other fun non-full length series going right now? It was pretty alright, kind of refreshing to watch short skits like that. I loved binge watching "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" too.

Quite a few. Sekkou Boys and Oji-san to Marshmallow are pretty good too

Assass Classclass S2 02

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH THAT SLIGHT FORESHADOWING

Goddam, episode 1 and 2 were full of so many "this shit becomes really important later" moments that are fantastic. I pray to god that this gets another season because no way will they reach the best arc. Both episodes, while being kinda side-story or filler-y were both very good. Just super entertaining and big set ups for later stuff.

JulianImp

There's Marshmallow Ojisan and Sekko Boys from what I've watched, and I think "
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara" is a miniseries as well.

Assass Classclass S2 02

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH THAT SLIGHT FORESHADOWING

Goddam, episode 1 and 2 were full of so many "this shit becomes really important later" moments that are fantastic. I pray to god that this gets another season because no way will they reach the best arc. Both episodes, while being kinda side-story or filler-y were both very good. Just super entertaining and big set ups for later stuff.

I hope so, if they didnt plan on it then they could have easily avoided animating Kaede's pudding and Cops and Robbers.

I'm not too fond of the Erased ED. The song is good, and the visuals are striking, but there isn't a coherent throughline linking each shot to the next, so it comes off rather scattershot. It compares unfavorably to some of Ishihama's past work such as his Welcome to the NHK OP and Yama no Susume S2 OP, which work well as unified sequences. I prefer the Erased OP, which is really strong and coherent.

See I would watch the Erased Opening more but it's filled with spoilers.

Chindogg

Snow White With The Red Hair - 14

I have this terrible feeling that Obi's going to die eventually.

This series melts my heart with the innocent love. Maybe I'm just too jaded to know that eventually something's going to crack in this series.

Qurupeke

Okay, I figured it out boys. I know what Studio Bone's game plan is.

They carefully and meticulously made something so cute that even a bitter jaded fuck like me can forget himself and go awwwwwww.

God help us all if they figure out a way to weaponize it.

What's this show? It really looks cute.

Ascheroth

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - 02

Finally got around to it.
This is so good. I was totally captivated by the whole episode, even during the 'boring' Rakugo performance.
It's hard to decide whether I like this or Erased more, because they're going for vastly different things, but both shows are without a doubt the best of this season.

Snow White With The Red Hair - 14

I have this terrible feeling that Obi's going to die eventually.

This series melts my heart with the innocent love. Maybe I'm just too jaded to know that eventually something's going to crack in this series.

I dont think the series is the type to do anything sad or extreme to the cast. If anything I could see something like Obi just leaving for some reason. We need his backstory.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Were? Past tense?

j/k
I wonder how many people remember your long threads with ABF. lol

Wow, I thought this has always been a thing.
Reading the 08/09 threads is interesting, if only because you see some of the things beginning to take form. Although you have to be into internet anthropology or whatever.

You only think this season is terrible because you didn't watch anything last year, firehawk.
It was just the one season. :p

Just because Erased and Rakugo are so good they make everything else look terrible doesn't mean the whole season is terrible!
Even the KyoAni show is all about animated tits!

Most of the shows this season have been better than average, honestly. You have some real duds like Divine Gate and PSO2, but besides those the worst shows are - in my opinion obviously - Pandora in the Crimson Shell and Luck and Logic (both of which have at least a few people in this thread who enjoy them).

Everything else is better than the average comparable show. Grimgar and Konosuba are both shaping up to be better than the average "stuck in a fantasy world" show, Nurse Witch KOMUGI is hilarious at times, etc. On average, I feel like the shows are better. Maybe not to the point where they are fantastic, but most of it is enjoyable to at least some extent.
That's the thing... there are so many "stuck in a fantasy world" and "obtuse scifi premise involving powers" animes this season that nothing really stands out. There's even another Saekano for me to hate this season!

Exalted

Dimension W has a great intro, and i like the dancing of the MC, even though it feels out of place for him.

SlimObedientJapanesebeetle.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMUi6x2d4Y

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firehawk's favorite anime is BACK.
The most useless harem protag is back to make a game using his skill of having girls who want to bang him do all the work for him!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was just mangagaf people importing the tradition to animegaf since there's a bunch of crossover.
Okay, I'll admit that I made a concerted push to make that the standard format and I borrowed it from reading MangaGAF. When I say "concerted push" I mean I was posting the most so it was more of a lead by filling the thread with my posts kind of thing.

There aren't too many threads on this forum that contain people taking about multiple properties so it made it a lot easier to read.

Although really I think the ideal format includes [ ] just so that you can clearly separate the title of the series out from the episode number e.g. [Cowboy Bebop] - 1. This is mainly to help with any show title that happens to also include a number.
Yeah, this makes sense. It makes the thread more scannable at least, since you can clearly see what a post will be about.
I guess there are the comic book and music and film threads in terms of medium specific threads, but I don't post in them so I have no idea what goes on in there.

Squalor

Bubuki Buranki 2 was a surprisingly entertaining episode. I kind of expected it to fall off. I'm liking the pacing. There's a lot of backstory to uncover. Also, the main character's sister is still somewhere. The action looks good. I wish there were more frames per second, though.

The second episodes of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi and Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū were fantastic as I expected. The mystery in Inai Machi is an interesting one. Focusing on character work is a great way to go.
Dimension W has a great intro, and i like the dancing of the MC, even though it feels out of place for him.
Totally in character. Have you seen his fighting moves? They man would kill it on a dance floor. Haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll be counting on Firehawk to screencap all the pantyhose so I don't have to watch it
I figure I'd check to see what the cosplay situation is like and yep.
Xibl1rz.jpg

The character seems specifically designed for people with a particular fetish. Much like that boob monster girl from Prison School.

phaze

Heh, apparently the Erased ED is also full of "spoilers"; they're just not so obvious because they're presented in a more abstract visual style.

I've developed on crackpot theory based on rewatching that ED way too many times. .

Mononoke 06-07

Where were you when Toei saved anime ?

Still love that (spoilers)shot.

Even the KyoAni show is all about animated tits!

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It's not as if KyoAni makes the best anime at any given moment, and it's not as if Phantom World's existence invalidates all other anime currently being made. KyoAni makes anime with generally consistent animation quality due to their special operating methods, but it's not like the direction, writing, art design, and so forth of their works are similarly consistent. Since Hyouka in 2012 the only genuinely good anime to come from KyoAni have been directed by Naoko Yamada.

pbayne

Wrong.

To name a few: Hime Arikawa from Himegoto, Tomo Wakutsu from Ruitomo, and Mizuho Miyanokouji from Otoboku. Thought I suppose GGO Kirito would also be acceptable.

Fetish identified. Hime not really a harem is it? Himex18+ all day.

Top choice is Haruhi from Ouran Host Club

ibyea

Banned
Things I Understand:
-Not Watching
-Watching
-Accidentally clicking the link

Things I Don't Understand:
-Watching up until the point where someone speaks and then quitting to post on a message board about how you didn't watch it.

I was curious. Then I realized I couldn't stand it and turned it off. Then I made a small joke post about it, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom