• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Hell yeah, that Ajin première was awesome.

Really looking forward to this series after that.

By some minor miracle, this season has more than two new decent anime. I'm shocked.

NeonZ

I know I shouldn't take Lupin III's continuity seriously, but it really annoys me when one of these stories attempts to have continuity, but then gets it all wrong. The old "Steal Napoleon's Dictionary" tv special attempts to reveal the past of Lupin's family, with the original Arsene Lupin and Lupin the 2nd... but it pretty much gets it all wrong.

The "Lupin the 1st" mentioned in the special is actually Lupin the 2nd, while the "Lupin the 2nd" mentioned in the special doesn't match any other depiction of Lupin the 2nd in animated works (I haven't read the manga, so I don't know about that) and seems like a thoughtless attempt to homage the green jacket series.
Lupin the 1st (From the 2nd and 3rd tv series)
Lupin_s02_ep114_02_zpszlnxdsfo.jpg
Lupin_s03_ep10_01_zps6tegaj4t.jpg

Lupin the 2nd (From the original tv series)
Lupin_s01_ep07_02_zps1aliybdl.jpg

Lupin the 1st (Napoleon's Dictionary)
Lupin_NapoleonsDictionary_02_zpsqnsulkxz.jpg

Lupin the 2nd (Napoleon's Dictionary)
Lupin_NapoleonsDictionary_03_zpsinwyt9gx.jpg

Oh, I just remembered another BONES series that had that luxury, kinda. X'amd was a PSN VOD title when it launched, and it was clear that when it first went up, they were already done with the first cours, since a ton of footage from later episodes was in the very first trailer. After the first 13 episodes, the VOD schedule actually went on break for a few months so production could catch up, before realigning with the JP launch of the VOD (which was delayed from the English one), and finishing the second half of the series.

So yeah, experiments like that certainly do exist, and the big question I guess is.... when is Netflix going to start bankrolling anime directly because I think once that happens we'll see exactly what you mentioned.

Netflix is already bankrolling J-drama, so anime can't be far behind. They seem pretty tight with Polygon Pictures. Unfortunately.

Narag

After rewatching Towanoquon and starting up Garo again, I'm starting to get this feeling again that I should put off most shows airing in the season. I find it really liberating and enjoyable being able to watch a complete existing series at any pace I choose, and knowing that if I feel like watching more it's always there, and if I don't, it won't be going anywhere. I have a backlog of shows from the last year or so (including older stuff I promised to watch like Mononoke and Trapeze!) which should definitely keep me busy enough even if I don't watch a single new episode for the rest of this season. After all, by the time the season ends, anything I'm watching in it can easily be caught up on in a week or two at most, rather than waiting week by week and having to deal with cliffhangers and delays and whatnot. Is this a common feeling?

I'm in a similar position. I do like picking a show or two to stick with (usually if it's scheduled conveniently for me) but otherwise I'm content to see what's worth watching when it's all said and done though. Something with a fun communal aspect can get me to watch weekly too.

I know I shouldn't take Lupin III's continuity seriously, but it really annoys me when one of these stories attempts to have continuity, but then gets it all wrong. The old "Steal Napoleon's Dictionary" tv special attempts to reveal the past of Lupin's family, with the original Arsene Lupin and Lupin the 2nd... but it pretty much gets it all wrong.

The "Lupin the 1st" mentioned in the special is actually Lupin the 2nd, while the "Lupin the 2nd" mentioned in the special doesn't match any other depiction of Lupin the 2nd in animated works (I haven't read the manga, so I don't know about that) and seems like a thoughtless attempt to homage the green jacket series.

When you get Lupin taking continuity too seriously, you get Fujiko Mine.

Quasar

So yeah, experiments like that certainly do exist, and the big question I guess is.... when is Netflix going to start bankrolling anime directly because I think once that happens we'll see exactly what you mentioned.

Would it even be anime anymore? :)

It would be curious...I mean a fully funded netflix anime would kind of upend alot of design requirements that come about due to the anime business model (selling premium discs and merchandise).

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 14

That meeting to decide the VAs for the characters was so ridiculous. Must be hard in real life.

This new studio seems pretty shoddy..

woodland

Friend told me about the Japan Crate free 30 days on CrunchyRoll and I signed up, having a 3 day weekend and being interested again after seeing OPM/Erased.

Ran through Shokugeki no Soma (Okay, liked the food) - any other recent recommendations? Seen most Shonen and not dying for more, definitely no harem.

Here's my list which I mostly stopped updating when I stopped watching. Oh, I also tend to like supernatural stuff^^

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/LiamLiam

If I'm not supposed to ask for recommendations, my bad!

cj_iwakura

Friend told me about the Japan Crate free 30 days on CrunchyRoll and I signed up, having a 3 day weekend and being interested again after seeing OPM/Erased.

Ran through Shokugeki no Soma (Okay, liked the food) - any other recent recommendations? Seen most Shonen and not dying for more, definitely no harem.

Here's my list which I mostly stopped updating when I stopped watching. Oh, I also tend to like supernatural stuff^^

If you like comedy, Cuticle Detective Inaba is fantastic.Same with Watamote.
Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero are masterworks.

I love Durarara, but it can be pretty daunting with a cast of 20+ characters.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter and Haikyuu.

Any reason you never watched the rest of Monogatari?

Eklesp

Dimension W 02

4t3ZRNU.jpg

Really like this show so far. Adorable robot and I was not not expecting that
infused mishmash creepiness
at the end. Excited to see where it goes.

Barakamon- one of the best comedy slice of life if not best out there. It's really entertaining and heartwarming.

Cornbread78

Bahamut ep.2
Well, that certainly took a dark turn there. I'm still a little confused on how all these princess and prince relationships worked in the past and present, but damn, that black drag-on went into beast mode.

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 81

Hahaha holy shit that gorilla wedding. The bananas, the conversation over the radio, the conversation in the bathroom. Fucking hilarious.

Shinpachi calmly packing peeled bananas in a plastic container while Kondo's freaking the fuck out, so good.

Yagyu arc is good arc. They even managed to come back from the cringey girl-raised-as-boy crap, I felt, and I choose to believe it wasn't an accident.

Gintama 81

Hahaha holy shit that gorilla wedding. The bananas, the conversation over the radio, the conversation in the bathroom. Fucking hilarious.

Shinpachi calmly packing peeled bananas in a plastic container while Kondo's freaking the fuck out, so good.

You forgot about the shit.

Gintama and its shit jokes.

On Crunchyroll, Gatchaman Crowds and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (my personal Anime of the Year) both came out last year and are fantastic. Punch Line is an excellent, underrated show that came out as well.

when is Netflix going to start bankrolling anime directly because I think once that happens we'll see exactly what you mentioned.

Netflix is putting out those two Mir shows eventually, though that's both Korean and bankrolled by Dreamworks. I suppose we can only wait and see.

Russ T

Banned
Japan outsources some animation stuff to Korea, right? I'm not wrong about that, right?

Does Korea have any sweet animated junk? I know they've got their own comics scene and that all my friends who are into Asian dramas prefer Korean (although I don't know why), but never really bothered to explore beyond that.

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.6
Awe, how cute, they had they first
kiss
. I actually really appreciate the introspective story telling they use for the show. Good stuff.

Which two? I'm not really familiar with Korean animation news.

That's just it, news has been scarce. I believe Dos Santos and other animators from the Avatar(s) are on them as well. Most other Netflix animations don't seem to have dough enough for much above flash (though I'm sure the crews work hard on them), so I'm fine with them taking their time.

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 82

Not a particularly notable episode, but had some funny moments, mostly with golden balls and the sadist ninja. Wan!

duckroll

I feel the main barrier to Netflix actually bankrolling original anime series themselves is simply that there is no framework for it right now, not that they're unwilling or lack the funds. I am absolutely confident that if presented with a proposal for a 26 episode animated series from an established studio and staff which would cost say, 10 million dollars, they would be willing. The problem thought is that Netflix isn't really that familiar with the animation business (yet) so they need go-betweens to sell them on it. Netflix also requires the material to be available in English. This means there has to be a proposal from a third party in a position to arrange for all that. All the big players in the US anime business like FUNi, Sentai, Viz, etc are all looking to push their platforms so it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to partner with Netflix for something like this. Japanese companies like Aniplex and Bandai Visual look out for themselves and would probably not see this as an appealing route.

What we need is for a Japanese studio to take the step on their own initiative, get contacts together, put together a proposal and maybe even a pilot film, and go to Netflix directly. If they can successfully do that and get funded, other studios will follow.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the two LWA shorts got dubbed into English for Netflix? Who dubbed it, who paid for it, and who approached who? Knowing that would be interesting too.

Hamst3r

Does Korea have any sweet animated junk?

I was looking through the Korean anime club on MAL some time ago and added a bunch of stuff from there to my list.

So far I've only watched two, The House and Blade of the Phantom Master. Both were pretty good. Some of the ones I have yet to watch but which have good ratings are: There She Is, Winter Sonata, Oseam, The King of Pigs, and Saibi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom