• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 83

My god. If there's one thing Gintama's absolutely perfect at, it's escalating the situation. Why are they wearing towels?! And oh my god the Shogun-sama game. Holy fuck.

I was looking through the Korean anime club on MAL some time ago and added a bunch of stuff from there to my list.

So far I've only watched two, The House and Blade of the Phantom Master. Both were pretty good. Some of the ones I have yet to watch but which have good ratings are: There She Is, Winter Sonata, Oseam, The King of Pigs, and Saibi.

Hmm all right maybe I'll check this out.

Squishy3

Huh, Blade of the Phantom Master is Korean? Never would have guessed. Used to work at a game/anime store where we rented out anime and we had that and it was generally well-regarded but I never watched it. (We had kind of a significant collection... that I really regret not putting aside my beef with the manager after I quit and buying when they went out of business. We had all of Ippo S1!)

Holy fuck I don't think I'm ready for Persona 3 Movie 4 Winter of Rebirth to animate the ending of Persona 3.

It's one of the very few series to make me cry like a bitch. When the song
Memories of You
starts to play my tears will start to flow.

Best Persona game in the entire franchise for me that had a really emotional ending. I'm glad it had a much much much better adaption than the shit that's called Persona 4 Golden.

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 84

I can't believe it took me 2/3 of the episode to realize Kozenigata was meant to be Zenigata from Lupin and the fox max is Lupin. Wow I'm a big ol' dumb.

The singing at the beginning was pretty hilarious, but the repetition once the actual episode started wasn't quite good enough. And then the beginning of the attempt to capture Fox Mask happened and some funny stuff happened, Camus.

Mature

I feel the main barrier to Netflix actually bankrolling original anime series themselves is simply that there is no framework for it right now, not that they're unwilling or lack the funds. I am absolutely confident that if presented with a proposal for a 26 episode animated series from an established studio and staff which would cost say, 10 million dollars, they would be willing. The problem thought is that Netflix isn't really that familiar with the animation business (yet) so they need go-betweens to sell them on it. Netflix also requires the material to be available in English. This means there has to be a proposal from a third party in a position to arrange for all that. All the big players in the US anime business like FUNi, Sentai, Viz, etc are all looking to push their platforms so it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to partner with Netflix for something like this. Japanese companies like Aniplex and Bandai Visual look out for themselves and would probably not see this as an appealing route.

What we need is for a Japanese studio to take the step on their own initiative, get contacts together, put together a proposal and maybe even a pilot film, and go to Netflix directly. If they can successfully do that and get funded, other studios will follow.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the two LWA shorts got dubbed into English for Netflix? Who dubbed it, who paid for it, and who approached who? Knowing that would be interesting too.
It'd probably help to have an arbiter who's a known quantity of success in the west like Shinichiro Watanabe.

Netflix exclusive Space Dandy movie.

ViciousDS

Banned
Fuck it....I dropped everything for

Berserk.....yes I have never seen it and I've always been meaning to watch it. Along with gantz......which I've heard is insanely jacked up.

How is Maria the Virgin Witch? thinking about picking that after I finish Ika Musume.

I liked it. It was definitely one of the better shows last year.

The ending might bother you though. I remember feeling mixed when I watched the ending.

It's a full story, so it's got that going for it.

Fuck it....I dropped everything for

Berserk.....yes I have never seen it and I've always been meaning to watch it. Along with gantz......which I've heard is insanely jacked up.

you should read the manga, it's the best way.

Or you could watch the movies, fuck the show

and like clockwork that should summon my nemesis

Russ T

Banned
Gintama 85

Hooooly shit the bit where they're running away from spikes on a treadmill that's moving against them. More excellent situation escalation.

The hard-boiled shtick also grew on me. And then it got all serious, but hey that's all right sometimes. GOOD EPISODE.

ViciousDS

Banned
you should read the manga, it's the best way.

Or you could watch the movies, fuck the show

and like clockwork that should summon my nemesis

0aa8c26445014fbde.gif

duckroll

Garo the Animation - Episode 14

First episodic style Garo episode since I resumed watching, and I remember why I really liked them earlier in the series too. They have this really neat mystery/horror procedural angle where the Makai Knights seem a bit like detectives investigating weird cases in the countryside and solving the Horror problem. I like the "twists" Garo puts on the tales too. The Horror designs in this episode were extra Lovecraftian which is always a plus. Glad I picked this show up again.

ViciousDS

Banned
Garo the Animation - Episode 14

First episodic style Garo episode since I resumed watching, and I remember why I really liked them earlier in the series too. They have this really neat mystery/horror procedural angle where the Makai Knights seem a bit like detectives investigating weird cases in the countryside and solving the Horror problem. I like the "twists" Garo puts on the tales too. The Horror designs in this episode were extra Lovecraftian which is always a plus. Glad I picked this show up again.

I'll have to check it out after berserk. I watched the first episode of Garo the original live action series and it was too CGI heavy in the bad way. Didn't think sonething could be more corny than power rangers lol

I'll have to check it out after berserk. I watched the first episode of Garo the original live action series and it was too CGI heavy in the bad way. Didn't think sonething could be more corny than power rangers lol

Power Rangers is straight up repackaged Japanese tokusatsu shows, so they're basically the same thing!

Garo the Animation isn't really corny though, thanks to not being low quality live action.

ViciousDS

Banned
Power Rangers is straight up repackaged Japanese tokusatsu shows, so they're basically the same thing!

Garo the Animation isn't really corny though, thanks to not being low quality live action.

I always compared power rangers more to kamen rider than garo. I mean there is definitely a more dark atmosphere and mature sense to Garo. I was shocked to see monster boobs in the first episode. But holy crap did they do a terrible job on the action scenes. It really made me stop watching

Shouta

Divine Gate Ep 2

The transition into 3D models is weird but I guess it makes sense to do so for budget. I like that the transition is built into the story too. The story and main conflict for the episode was pretty good. It's a bog standard setup but seeing the characters clash because of their views and how they each experience it a little different based on their own history was nice. It's kind of rare to see 3 different characters and backgrounds being able to pull from just one situation.

wonzo

Banned
shorts thoughts

paul blart marsh-cop 1-2

sickly sweet

tabi machi late show 1-2

really nice picture drama

sekko boys 1-2

mc keeps the gimmick together

How is Maria the Virgin Witch? thinking about picking that after I finish Ika Musume.

one of the best shows of last year

It's fan-fucking-tastic.

Until the last 20 minutes where it manages to completely ruin any meaning the series had. Watch it up until the last episode, and then pretend it ends in some way that isn't complete ass. That's an opinion most people disagree with on here though.

I completely forgot that the persona movies were a thing

9WKwhA3.jpg

Terror in Resonance 6

Yo, come on now. That English. That English is gotdamn turrible. Lawd, haha. There was no way I could take that serious. Anyway, five is nuts. Should've known. And it's nice to see Lisa is finally getting involved.

Also, who is the singing the ending song? That voice is mesmerizing.

Terror in Resonance 7

So yeah, I was wrong. Five isn't nuts.
She's batshit crazy.
Jesus.
Lisa just can't catch a break.

So seven episodes in and I still think this is fantastic. Awesome!

Mature

Terror in Resonance is one I'd really like to revisit with lowered expectations. I remember the direction being really solid, but the writing being terrible.

Terror in Resonance is one I'd really like to revisit with lowered expectations. I remember the direction being really solid, but the writing being terrible.

The dub actually feels a lot better than the original writing.. somehow. I mean, the whole thing is kind of a mess, but it's a little better.

Terror in Resonance is a show that I want to love, but I can only like.

Its plot is all over the place, but it has some fine directing.

Five ruined TiR. Everyone turned into a dumbass when she showed up with her dumbass bad Engrish aura.

Goddammit. I get mad just thinking about TiR. Oh well, still better then Aldnoah Zero.

blurr

I really didn't think Five ruined TiR, agreed engrish was a turn off but I don't really expect a Japanese person to be fluent in the first place.

I think TiR should've spent some time on Lisa and Twelve's relationship more, I just can't digest him betraying Nine for Lisa over next to nothing; a few episodes earlier he threatened to kill her lol

duckroll

I really didn't think Five ruined TiR, agreed engrish was a turn off but I don't really expect a Japanese person to be fluent in the first place.

????????????

She's been living and working in America with the FBI for years right? You don't expect her to be fluent?

ibyea

Banned

I think TiR should've spent some time on Lisa and Twelve's relationship more, I just can't digest him betraying Nine for Lisa over next to nothing; a few episodes earlier he threatened to kill her lol

The bad english was the least of her problems. Everything surrounding her was over the top and nonsensical. That said, she wasn't the only writing problem of the show. Most prominently, 9 and 12's plot in the end turned out to be suspension of disbelief breaking. It speaks to the strength of the direction that I was able to sort of ignore that and enjoy the show for what it was.

duckroll

In the end you know why TiR sucked? Because it was a domestic terrorism story which didn't really want to how the dangers or consequences of domestic terrorism. All huff and no puff. :p

ibyea

Banned
In the end you know why TiR sucked? Because it was a domestic terrorism story which didn't really want to how the dangers or consequences of domestic terrorism. All huff and no puff. :p

Precisely. They just ended straight up being heroes even though people got injured, and there were billions of dollars of damage in infrastructure. And I don't even buy for a second that no one died in their final plot.

fertygo

I still like TiR, despite its more to its individual eps and series as whole

by my count there's like 7 really good episode, but the series as whole very weirdly can be graded much lower than that :D

blurr

The bad english was the least of her problems. Everything surrounding her was over the top and nonsensical. That said, she wasn't the only writing problem of the show. Most prominently, 9 and 12's plot in the end turned out to be suspension of disbelief breaking. It speaks to the strength of the direction that I was able to sort of ignore that and enjoy the show for what it was.

My thoughts too, I just got fed up of the whole 'engrish' rant, not nearly a good reason to say she ruined it entirely.

????????????

She's been living and working in America with the FBI for years right? You don't expect her to be fluent?

Sure, that's a good reason for her to speak but for her VA, I don't expect the same (don't think they'd hire another VA just to do english voices but they could have hired someone who is fluent in English and Japanese). TiR was made with Japanese audience in mind *primarily* (I'm amazed they cooked up a story with such a sensitive topic) and for them I imagine that's 'English' enough. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

ibyea

Banned
I still like TiR, despite its more to its individual eps and series as whole

by my count there's like 7 really good episode, but the series as whole very weirdly can be graded much lower than that :D

Yeah some individual moments were great. I still really like that scene with
9, 12, the detective, and the government sniper on the helicopter.

Precisely. They just ended straight up being heroes even though people got injured, and there were billions of dollars of damage in infrastructure. And I don't even buy for a second that no one died in their final plot.

Ugh, yeah. Lacked the guts to actually go through with the villainous protagonists.

fertygo

Yeah some individual moments were great. I still really like that scene with
9, 12, the detective, and the government sniper on the helicopter.

Precisely, those scene is damn awesome despite at this point series as whole already goes south.

I will rewatch it someday.

Heavy handed emotional stuff and the series doesn't grow at all, so the "fun" parts are really tired and boring.

The character growth does stunt mid way through the second season (where is my Umi episode) but I'd still say it's fun overall. I thought the melodrama felt forced at the end of the first season compared to the heavy handed yet relatable drama of the second. The series is at its worse when it does drama but if you're enjoying the "fun" aspects of the show I'd say it's worth watching in whole. It helps if you actually like the music from µ's. (Typing this as I listen to Takaramonozu)

blurr

I mean you got to admit, every time she opens her mouth the scene gets a whole lot funnier.

I didn't find it funny but I admit it was a turn off.

(I guess I didn't find it funny because my native language isn't English and I've seen a lot of people struggle with fluency)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom