• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rwby has more to say about terrorism than tir and i'm pretty sure the target audience for rwby is like fourteen years old.

duckroll

Sure, that's a good reason for her to speak but for her VA, I don't expect the same (don't think they'd hire another VA just to do english voices but they could have hired someone who is fluent in English and Japanese). TiR was made with Japanese audience in mind *primarily* (I'm amazed they cooked up a story with such a sensitive topic) and for them I imagine that's 'English' enough. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I don't see how having low standards and a lack of effort in proper detail in a production is something to be excused. If fail to successfully cast someone who can perform the role a character calls for, you have failed. Most people watching an English show probably won't understand other languages either, but if you have a poorly cast foreign character who just wings it with bullshit and someone calls you out on it, that's on you, not on "oh I didn't think the target audience would care". Shit excuse for a shit show. Watanabe is probably so embarrassed by this failure he will never direct again.

Before Space Dandy he had a few shows lined up and he said he was going to go back to making at least one show a year. After TiR he buried his head in the sad and cried.

Line_HTX

In the end you know why TiR sucked? Because it was a domestic terrorism story which didn't really want to how the dangers or consequences of domestic terrorism. All huff and no puff. :p

I had a feeling it came to that. I stopped at episode 5 or 6, I don't remember, but not only were they dragging their actions out too long for something that's 11 episodes total, all signs did pointed to a domestic terrorism that I suspected turned up nothing. Waste of a show on the staff and music.

duckroll

He not embarrassed for Space Bomba too?

Why would he be embarrassed to have successfully swindled millions in gaijin money to get a simul-dub and simul-broadcast on American TV? Big win for him. But when he showed TiR to his new gaijin friends and they heard Five, that was the end... T_T

ibyea

Banned
I don't see how having low standards and a lack of effort in proper detail in a production is something to be excused. If fail to successfully cast someone who can perform the role a character calls for, you have failed. Most people watching an English show probably won't understand other languages either, but if you have a poorly cast foreign character who just wings it with bullshit and someone calls you out on it, that's on you, not on "oh I didn't think the target audience would care". Shit excuse for a shit show. Watanabe is probably so embarrassed by this failure he will never direct again.

Before Space Dandy he had a few shows lined up and he said he was going to go back to making at least one show a year. After TiR he buried his head in the sad and cried.

Yikes! So he is seriously not going to direct any more shows after that?

duckroll

Yikes! So he is seriously not going to direct any more shows after that?

I don't know, I'm just trolling lol. I'm still super salty about TiR after all this time. :p

It's true that we haven't heard anything from Watanabe since 2014 though. It's possible they might be working on a Space Dandy movie, but other than that... yeah it looks like he hasn't had a new show in a while.

ibyea

Banned
I don't know, I'm just trolling lol. I'm still super salty about TiR after all this time. :p

It's true that we haven't heard anything from Watanabe since 2014 though. It's possible they might be working on a Space Dandy movie, but other than that... yeah it looks like he hasn't had a new show in a while.

Oh okay. XD

blurr

True, they could have cast someone who is fluent in English and Japanese. Real question is, why didn't they? there are many constraints that come in during the production process, I like to look at why something ended up the way it did than just write it off as bad. Maybe they had a good reason and it could have gone worse but for what they had they did a great job or maybe they didn't. But hey, that's just me.

I made a few assumptions which is why I mentioned to correct me if I'm wrong. If you're sure they were careless about the casting then that's that. They were really in the wrong and I am wrong in making that assumption too.

Line_HTX

After rewatching Towanoquon and starting up Garo again, I'm starting to get this feeling again that I should put off most shows airing in the season. I find it really liberating and enjoyable being able to watch a complete existing series at any pace I choose, and knowing that if I feel like watching more it's always there, and if I don't, it won't be going anywhere. I have a backlog of shows from the last year or so (including older stuff I promised to watch like Mononoke and Trapeze!) which should definitely keep me busy enough even if I don't watch a single new episode for the rest of this season. After all, by the time the season ends, anything I'm watching in it can easily be caught up on in a week or two at most, rather than waiting week by week and having to deal with cliffhangers and delays and whatnot. Is this a common feeling?

I'm more or less doing the same thing and putting a lot of shows off early. However, I am watching a few new ones, I just haven't posted about them yet. I put off my Concrete Revolutio final episode post since New Years Day, and I have not even posted in a long time because of Postseason football, lol.

It'll be over soon and I can finally be in the right mindset of posting impressions rather than just watching the few I'm doing week to week. Other than that, I agree with you, it's less of a burden to put things off just so your viewing options will be there to start. I too, have a handful of shows last year that I still need to get through as well, but I'm not in that much of a hurry.

Narag

I'm more or less doing the same thing and putting a lot of shows off early. However, I am watching a few new ones, I just haven't posted about them yet. I put off my Concrete Revolutio final episode post since New Years Day, and I have not even posted in a long time because of Postseason football, lol.

Postseason football ended for you nine days ago.

Snow White with the Red Hair 13-14

I had stopped watching this sometime during the first cour, but I heard Raj came back, so time to pick back up temporarily.

duckroll

True, they could have cast someone who is fluent in English and Japanese. Real question is, why didn't they? there are many constraints that come in during the production process, I like to look at why something ended up the way it did than just write it off as bad. Maybe they had a good reason and it could have gone worse but for what they had they did a great job or maybe they didn't. But hey, that's just me.

I made a few assumptions which is why I mentioned to correct me if I'm wrong. If you're sure they were careless about the casting then that's that. They were really in the wrong and I am wrong in making that assumption too.

I don't think constrains really excuse anything. We all know that the anime industry is made with a ton of compromise and constrains. That's why there's often bad animation, rushed episodes, and even incomplete stuff sent to air. But so what? That doesn't mean it wasn't a fuck up right? There might be reasons for the fuck up, sure, but the end result is still bad.

I mean, honestly, there are a ton of options they have in this particular situation. They could cast someone who can actually speak English, but even if that were no possible, they could simply rewrite the dialogue so it would work. Why does she have to speak -English- with Japanese subtitles? She could just speak Japanese and have it be accepted that she's speaking English with the other team members. Shows do that all the time. Trying to be fancy and all when you can't actually pull it off makes you look like a fool. That's why I have no sympathy for how it turned out. They brought it upon themselves.

I think I asked yuyucow on twitter about it and promptly forgot but why do people expect a Space Dandy Movie or S3?

Because there were rumors about it at one point, and the producer and staff involved have expressed that they're game it can happy. Other than that, there's not much to indicate it's really a thing.

I think I asked yuyucow on twitter about it and promptly forgot but why do people expect a Space Dandy Movie or S3?

Toonami helped produce the second season of Space Dandy, and toonami staff said that maybe there was a chance of a movie or OVA.

It's probably just wishful thinking, but hey, let me dream.

blurr

I don't think constrains really excuse anything. We all know that the anime industry is made with a ton of compromise and constrains. That's why there's often bad animation, rushed episodes, and even incomplete stuff sent to air. But so what? That doesn't mean it wasn't a fuck up right? There might be reasons for the fuck up, sure, but the end result is still bad.

I mean, honestly, there are a ton of options they have in this particular situation. They could cast someone who can actually speak English, but even if that were no possible, they could simply rewrite the dialogue so it would work. Why does she have to speak -English- with Japanese subtitles? She could just speak Japanese and have it be accepted that she's speaking English with the other team members. Shows do that all the time. Trying to be fancy and all when you can't actually pull it off makes you look like a fool. That's why I have no sympathy for how it turned out. They brought it upon themselves.

I'm not saying that's excusable but that's just the way I analyze work of a creator. As mentioned earlier:

I like to look at why something ended up the way it did than just write it off as bad.

But hey, that's just me

Evidently, from this conversation, I've realized this is a subjective thing so thank you for questioning me.

edit: hit send early fml

mAcOdIn

Dagashi Kashi 2

The show in general is in this awkward place where it's not quite relaxed enough to take advantage of the rural setting but it's not quite energetic enough to take advantage of Hotaru's personality. So it just ends up in this passable middle. I think I'll set the show aside and see if I feel like coming back to it when it finishes.
This is one of the few shows I started this season, I can't imagine this turning out well. I mean, Hotaru's not crazy in a good way, she's just crazy. So it's not like I really root for her to infect the cast with her personality so I don't see where the show can go aside from having everything stay the same with her being the only nutso and just pulling candy shenanigans.

pbayne

Some real awesome shows are being watched in here atm. Big O, Escaflowne, Love Live, Garo etc. Then again some unfortunate soul is watching Pleaidas which while pretty on occasion is a very nothing show overall.

Reminds me I have to stop procrastinating and get some stuff watched like Working season 3.

Sölf

E-Four best.

parts_chara_10.png

mAcOdIn

Sounds good, and then we would have a superior anime show about a coffee shop and 3 friends in a laid back town. Maybe something in the style of Barakamon?
That works. With periodic, hopefully sparse, comedy arising from his new underage mom acting a fool and his dad asking for awkward advice on how to keep up with a child bride. Assuming he's not in jail.

Joking aside though the show does kind of annoy me. Not that I think Manga Artist is exactly a great job to strive towards and if I had a kid I'd definitely push him or her towards a more realistic career but at the same token I don't really like a show, or really a character, who's sole premise or purpose is to get the protagonist to give up on his dreams either.

It's doubly jarring when the said kid is one of the most mature cast members and the least mature cast members are the ones pushing for the more realistic job.

It's a bizarre environment.
I'm rooting for Saya and Kokonotsu
I'm too old to say "best girl" so I'll just say Saya's ok step daughter material.

pbayne

So my favorite show of the season is Nurse Witch Komugi so I checked out if it has any other series. Turns out Kyoani did an OVA in 2002 but its impossible to find anywhere.

Anyone know any place to watch it?

Dagashi Kashi 02

Says is the better and cuter candy girl and doesn't need massive tits to help her out. MC is fucked in the head if he does like her. Also, I used to play a card game like that when I was a kid with friends, was shit at it and lost a lot of cards. I liked the bit in the episode about the dusty candy and how to handle it better than the one about the whistling candy, it simply wasn't as amusing.

Also fang haters are the worst. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Jintor

Utena 7

wow, juri slapped anthy this ep and still managed to make me kinda feel sorry for her.

god I love how absolutely unafraid utena is to just do weird melodramatic shit on the reg

/edit whelp that next episode looks real dumb

Szadek

Utena 7

wow, juri slapped anthy this ep and still managed to make me kinda feel sorry for her.

god I love how absolutely unafraid utena is to just do weird melodramatic shit on the reg

/edit whelp that next episode looks real dumb
Kind of, but it's funny and ties in nicely with episode 9.

Hotaru's pupils are even bigger than Saya's. The world is cold and unfair.

This is why I root for Saya. I always root for the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom