• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Garo the Animation - Episode 15

This episode is a testament to how strong the setting of the show is. A stand alone tale about the people in the city, without any of the main characters playing much of a role at all, and yet it remains captivating in a humorous and creative way. The designs for the guest characters were really well done too. I felt the story here did a really good job of contrasting the message in episode 11 - that of the common people being weak and worthless, and needing to be controlled. It's nice to see the more positive side. The episode actually reminded me a lot of the sort of side story that might be in a Professor Layton game too. Pretty cute.

Garo the Animation - Episode 16

Ever since we've had the mid-series climax, the series has taken its time to expand on the setting and let things develop at a slower pace. Here we have another episodic Horror story, but from the perspective of Germain instead. What's neat about these episodes is that as the perspective shifts from character to character and even to non-leads, it really helps to build a detailed picture of the state of the world while also fleshing out how each character is coping with the aftermath of the events. I got a kick out of the weird quirky idiosyncrasies they injected into the Horror in this episode, especially during the fight. It felt really random, and was clearly a form of comedy, but it also fits perfectly into the sort of tone Garo has - especially when Germain is the focus. That sort of random "wut" thing gives the show a unique characteristic even among other dark fantasy works.

Sadly it looks like our peaceful times are over, judging from the end of the episode. The gears are moving into place for the next act...

I feel the main barrier to Netflix actually bankrolling original anime series themselves is simply that there is no framework for it right now, not that they're unwilling or lack the funds. I am absolutely confident that if presented with a proposal for a 26 episode animated series from an established studio and staff which would cost say, 10 million dollars, they would be willing. The problem thought is that Netflix isn't really that familiar with the animation business (yet) so they need go-betweens to sell them on it. Netflix also requires the material to be available in English. This means there has to be a proposal from a third party in a position to arrange for all that. All the big players in the US anime business like FUNi, Sentai, Viz, etc are all looking to push their platforms so it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to partner with Netflix for something like this. Japanese companies like Aniplex and Bandai Visual look out for themselves and would probably not see this as an appealing route.

What we need is for a Japanese studio to take the step on their own initiative, get contacts together, put together a proposal and maybe even a pilot film, and go to Netflix directly. If they can successfully do that and get funded, other studios will follow.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the two LWA shorts got dubbed into English for Netflix? Who dubbed it, who paid for it, and who approached who? Knowing that would be interesting too.
What platforms? Viz only uses hulu, sentai as well (and their dying TAN) Why wouldnt they be willing? Viz will release HxH which was added to netflix before they got it, sentai released Knights of Sidonia which was netflix dubbed. 7Taizai (netflix dubbed) will probably see a disc release. Since companies could sell discs and such I doubt theyd be against working more with netflix in their original programming creation endeavours, a compelling idea needs to manifest itself or some adaptation of a potential hit series.

True, they could have cast someone who is fluent in English and Japanese. Real question is, why didn't they? there are many constraints that come in during the production process, I like to look at why something ended up the way it did than just write it off as bad. Maybe they had a good reason and it could have gone worse but for what they had they did a great job or maybe they didn't. But hey, that's just me.

I made a few assumptions which is why I mentioned to correct me if I'm wrong. If you're sure they were careless about the casting then that's that. They were really in the wrong and I am wrong in making that assumption too.

The thing is, Megumi Han can actually speak decent, passable English, because she's done it before in shows such as Happiness Charge Precure. So in this case it's the Terror in Resonance sound director specifically requesting she do a poor job and picking out the takes that sound awful. (I've seen it speculated that he did so out of some misguided attempt to have her sound "American".) So I can't work up any sympathy for the Terror in Resonance production staff here.

Some real awesome shows are being watched in here atm. Big O, Escaflowne, Love Live, Garo etc. Then again some unfortunate soul is watching Pleaidas which while pretty on occasion is a very nothing show overall.

Wish Upon the Pleiades is nonsensical, but in an entertaining way. It doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't bog itself down in pointless exposition no one wants to hear (deliberately having characters cut off any attempts to get exposition going). I don't like Imaishi's style, so this is so far my favorite post-90s Gainax work, for whatever that's worth.

Jarmel

Banned
The thing is, Megumi Han can actually speak decent, passable English, because she's done it before in shows such as Happiness Charge Precure. So in this case it's the Terror in Resonance sound director specifically requesting she do a poor job and picking out the takes that sound awful. (I've seen it speculated that he did so out of some misguided attempt to have her sound "American".) So I can't work up any sympathy for the Terror in Resonance production staff here.

There is another case with Miyuki Sawashiro who can speak fairly good English and yet in Symphogeah has some of the worst Engrish I've ever seen in anime. It's absolutely baffling.

pbayne

Wish Upon the Pleiades is nonsensical, but in an entertaining way. It doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't bog itself down in pointless exposition no one wants to hear (deliberately having characters cut off any attempts to get exposition going). I don't like Imaishi's style, so this is so far my favorite post-90s Gainax work, for whatever that's worth.

No love for FLCL, Diebuster or Gurren lagann?

I guess my main issue with Pleiades is it never gets out of first gear. The show sacrifices the main plot to focus mainly on the characters and they're just not that unique or interesting. It never builds towards much and character development generally is forgotten between weeks so there's very little coherence to the whole series.

Edit: have to say it had some eye catches though.

kewlmyc

Dagashi Kashi 02

Says is the better and cuter candy girl and doesn't need massive tits to help her out. MC is fucked in the head if he does like her. Also, I used to play a card game like that when I was a kid with friends, was shit at it and lost a lot of cards. I liked the bit in the episode about the dusty candy and how to handle it better than the one about the whistling candy, it simply wasn't as amusing.

Also fang haters are the worst. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Is this show even a romance? I thought it was just candy jokes and nothing else.

No love for FLCL, Diebuster or Gurren lagann?

I just said I don't like Imaishi's style! Gurren Lagann is more tolerable than Panty and Stocking or Sex and Violence, but it's still not something I can care about.

Is this show even a romance? I thought it was just candy jokes and nothing else.

The second episode had essentially no romance, aside from a little lame innuendo from Hotaru.

Ascheroth

I can't wrap my mind around how anyone could think this is a good idea. Assuming this is what happened, how was there not even a single person who told him this is not how it works...
This is absolutely bizarre.

blurr

It isn't a matter of sympathy, rather I just want to understand why/how it happened before I can assume it really was bad. Simply put, a creator's perspective of things. In this case, going by what you said, they just tried out something different but it didn't work out. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gvitor

Kuroko no Basuke 14-25 (S1 END)

Jesus, that last game was pure hype. When Kise did the backhand throw (I don't know how to describe it, even) over Aomine, I got chills. Best game of the season. I feel like even the side characters in this match have more development than Seirin's...

Yeah, I'm still not feeling Seirin's team. They're just not there. They try pushing the whole "character x has eagle's eye" and "character y can shoot from anywhere", but it doesn't help when it's all useless and other characters (from teams they do manage to beat) all have a better version of it. I'm sure they'll get better, but it really feels like a bunch of randoms, and after a full season, I expected more.

Other than that, they're doing wonders with the Miracle Generation guys. I was expecting them to take a back seat once in a while, but they're constantly showing up and all of their interactions are great. Can't wait to see more of them in the mix.

Here's hoping Kise gets to beat Aomine with teamwork one day.
It won't happen, Kuroko will probably be the only one to do so... :(

I like to think that the first moe anime was developed with the goal of appealing to people's emotions through really cute girls, and then everyone else in the industry was like, "Well.. what do we lose by making all of our characters adorable?"

I leveled my Nekopara badge to Level 5 on Steam and didn't even get the good emotes. :c

I can't wrap my mind around how anyone could think this is a good idea. Assuming this is what happened, how was there not even a single person who told him this is not how it works...
This is absolutely bizarre.

I'm sure the sound director didn't think he was doing a bad job; he just had no clue how the acting would sound to someone fluent in English. I've heard plenty of stories about Japanese people who think they know how English should sound better than native English speakers do. Just look at the kinds of names anime production companies give their shows for overseas distribution - we end up with junk like "Encouragement of Climb".

sonicmj1

I'm sure the sound director didn't think he was doing a bad job; he just had no clue how the acting would sound to someone fluent in English. I've heard plenty of stories about Japanese people who think they know how English should sound better than native English speakers do. Just look at the kinds of names anime production companies give their shows for overseas distribution - we end up with junk like "Encouragement of Climb".
Or, of course, Attack on Titan.

Finally got the stuff I bought from the RightStuf sale in the mail:
CZGEtkyUMAA4l9f.jpg:large

Maybe now that you're forced to lower the bar, you can give Toradora a try again !

I mean it wasn't even a year ago that I gave that a try and I'm pretty sure that I hated it more than Sukitte Ii Na Yo and Kimi ni Todoke. Doubt that would change. Like I genuinely loathed all characters involved in the first 2 episodes already.

I might give it another go though if you watch Kare Kano :>

Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 3 Galaxy – Now the Stars Shine

CZGHeSaUYAAZKmt.png
CZGKyz_UkAI4KCJ.png

STRIDE is really fun when they show, best part had to be
Shortcut
otherwise all the times when they actually use the obstacles to get through and maintain or get the lead. Loved the flipping and going on the slides the most.

Results wise
rubberbanding in anime at its fullest. How even? But more importantly, they made it seem like Kadowaki was the slowest when he appeared to be second fastest, how even. Hopefully he doesnt leave the time or what not as he is my favorite one, and I really need him to go against Kaede in a rematch and actually win

Gal-Stan is the best.
CZGE4i3UAAAaj5m.png
CZGE4mPVIAAamz3.png

pbayne

Sukitte Ii Na Yo - 02

Romance anime is dead.

Aw. You're like the bizarro version of me and hate all the things I love. Why didn't you like it?

Im afraid to recommend it but maybe try Kawai Complex(Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sō). Or even watch some shounen ai romance like World's Greatest first love.

What romances in the past have you liked?

I mean it wasn't even a year ago that I gave that a try and I'm pretty sure that I hated it more than Sukitte Ii Na Yo and Kimi ni Todoke. Doubt that would change. Like I genuinely loathed all characters involved in the first 2 episodes already.

Toradora is one of my favorite anime of all time. ;-;

Stride Ep. 3

It's a shame that none of these teams will get out of their own divisions because half the players can't avoid doing ridiculously unnecessary flips. The final team they face will just just be a team that runs the races like normal human beings.

Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 3 Galaxy – Now the Stars Shine

CZGHeSaUYAAZKmt.pg
CZGKyz_UkAI4KCJ.pg

STRIDE is really fun when they show, best part had to be
Shortcut
otherwise all the times when they actually use the obstacles to get through and maintain or get the lead. Loved the flipping and going on the slides the most.

Results wise
rubberbanding in anime at its fullest. How even? But more importantly, they made it seem like Kadowaki was the slowest when he appeared to be second fastest, how even. Hopefully he doesnt leave the time or what not as he is my favorite one, and I really need him to go against Kaede in a rematch and actually win

Gal-Stan is the best.
CZGE4i3UAAAaj5m.ng
CZGE4mPVIAAamz3.ng
I need to catch up on this.

Cheap Juice, the new GIF you made for me legit made me laugh out loud. You have a certain talent for grabbing my most cynical posts and making them funny LOL.

Cornbread78

Cat Planet Cuties ep.3
Wow, holy fanservice batman. The blu-rays must be something else. Well, looks like we now have an unofficial harem of three as I thought and now a new secret org is trying to get at the cat girl alien. Poor dude gets beat up a lot by the childhood friend as well, which is perfect.

phaze

So you didn't even make it to Minorin episode ?
ringjudgesyourl1o0w.png

Erase that "might" and you got yourself a deal. (And a moral obligation to get to ep 10 at least !)

For what it's worth, I've got better things to say about Lovely Complex and I've finished it before Sukitte Ii Na Yo. But more to that once I'm done taking half a billion screencaps of it.

Aw. You're like the bizarro version of me and hate all the things I love. Why didn't you like it?

Im afraid to recommend it but maybe try Kawai Complex(Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sō). Or even watch some shounen ai romance like World's Greatest first love.

What romances in the past have you liked?

5cm per second
KareKano
Nana
Koi Kaze
Aoi Hana

Those are all damn good.
Below that I could also name:

Lovely Complex
Sasameki Koto
Paradise Kiss
The Garden of Words

And there's a bunch of shows like Hyouka and if you stretch it a bit even Dennou Coil, where romance isn't on the forefront directly but they execute those elements damn well anyways.

Toradora is one of my favorite anime of all time. ;-;

Yeh I've long realized our tastes are largely incompatible.

I don't think shoujo romance is your thing.

If they're written well and decently directed I have no issue with them whatsoever. I mean I even enjoyed Sasameki Koto quite a lot. In that case it's decent writing with damn good direction, though.

As in it's so bad it kills the rest of romance Anime or it's so good it leaves the rest as outdated.

Was simply exaggerating to state my distaste. It's neither, though it certainly is further removed from the latter.

So you didn't even make it to Minorin episode ?
ringjudgesyourl1o0w.png

Erase that "might" and you got yourself a deal. (And a moral obligation to get to ep 10 at least !)

Then we've got a deal, though I wish you'd actually give me something you consider good that I haven't seen, yet. 10 episodes of Toradora will be my end while you'll get to experience the quality of a great shoujo directed by the master Anno!

Prince of Stride 03

Yo, this was some good stuff, and with the race upcoming next episode I think they'll be able to keep this up. The way they showed the route of the race is rather nice and created some space for setting up the 1v1 match-ups. With this being a relay race every character has it's moment to shine. There are some things I'd like to see improved though. A lot of the random obstacles seem to come out of nowhere so it doesn't really add anything to the race aside from eye candy.

pbayne

For what it's worth, I've got better things to say about Lovely Complex and I've finished it before Sukitte Ii Na Yo. But more to that once I'm done taking half a billion screencaps of it.

5cm per second
KareKano
Nana
Koi Kaze
Aoi Hana

Those are all damn good.
Below that I could also name:

Lovely Complex
Sasameki Koto
Paradise Kiss
The Garden of Words

And there's a bunch of shows like Hyouka and if you stretch it a bit even Dennou Coil, where romance isn't on the forefront directly but they execute those elements damn well anyways.

Thats a damn good list. Im actually surprised you like Lovely Complex as its an outlier among them as its very steeped in shoujo tropes while the others are more senein or josei leaning.

Paradise Kiss looks very interesting. Really digging the character designs. Reminds me a little of Princess Jellyfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom