• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

And yet Kirito's harem is something that even a harem protagonist would envy.

Wrong.

Watch G Gundam.

It's next after I finish Kare Kano, Emma and Planetes

True love is timeskipping past any relationship development because actually writing that is hard.
There was some at least, which is more than some shows can say.
v7fbvP0.jpg

Sasuga Cornbread

lol, I love the SAO hate. feed me that hatred, I'm hungry for more! lol.

phaze

Then we've got a deal, though I wish you'd actually give me something you consider good that I haven't seen, yet. 10 episodes of Toradora will be my end while you'll get to experience the quality of a great shoujo directed by the master Anno!

This is my retribution for subjecting myself to 10 episodes of School Rumble.
picturen6p3j.png

Does Kare Kano even have the decency to finish the story within the anime or do I have to jump into manga for closure ?

I'm not even sure if I'd have any really good show to give that you haven't already gone through or aren't already planning to.

*evil statement*

fHQoOpP.gif

Let's just say I didn't read that.

Does Kare Kano even have the decency to finish the story within the anime or do I have to jump into manga for closure ?

Uh...

it runs into major production issues and end in the middle of nowhere and far from the manga's completion. Because the Mangaka was not happy with the direction the anime was taking (too much comedy for her apparently) she didn't want any further seasons and production just kind of fell apart with Anno leaving prematurely or something like that. I've yet to read the manga myself actually.

Thing is, even given that, it has more relationship progression than just about every other romance anime and it's damn good at it to boot.

Quasar

Grimgar 2 - Liked this. Like the zero level nature of this with the emotional impact defeating even a single goblin had. I'd dump fighter guy at the first opportunity though. I like the pace, except that anime are so short I'm not sure how far the story will get.

I liked the first two episodes of Grimgar, but it would be improved drastically if Ranta was fired into the sun.
Grimgar_01_10-490x276.jpg

Also the priest guy is pretty boring too. They haven't shown us much of him, other than showing him being impossibly dreamy.

I liked the first two episodes of Grimgar, but it would be improved drastically if Ranta was fired into the sun.

Also the priest guy is pretty boring too.

The priest guy is the only competent person in the team, they'll likely get rid of him but jesus it'd go from at least one decent guy to the jobber team

Cornbread78

Also the priest guy is pretty boring too. They haven't shown us much of him, other than showing him being impossibly dreamy.

Don't worry, priest guy is too nice to live very long.

And yeah, fuck Ranta..

I like Ranta. He's an annoying shit, but adds at least a dash of personality to the otherwise bland party of generic MC, overly competent and charming leader Priest, silent giant Knight, silent shy Mage, and generic genki Hunter.

Russ T

Banned
I like Ranta. He's an annoying shit, but adds at least a dash of personality to the otherwise bland party of generic MC, overly competent and charming leader Priest, silent giant Knight, silent shy Mage, and generic genki Hunter.

Yeah he's generic asshole pervert.

He would be fine if he weren't this 'huehue boobs' pervert that would best fit in some trashy harem show. Whenever he opens his mouth about this stuff it undermines all the attempts at building proper atmosphere in that show.

jonjonaug

MC and Ranta are the only two actual characters in the show so far. The other ones can be described as "boobs", "ditz", "chill dude", and "made entirely of death flags, won't live past episode 3". Given my experience in the kind of web/light novel tripe that this usually is I don't expect that to change anytime soon either.

EDIT: Like, Ranta's annoying. But at least he has an actual personality and room for development when compared with the other characters.

Rotnems

Neo Member
MC and Ranta are the only two actual characters in the show. The other ones can be described as "boobs", "ditz", "chill dude", and "made entirely of death flags, won't live past episode 3".
And even with his pervert tendencys Ranta's reaction to the goblin fight and him eating that piece of meat in that insert song segment where the best character moments in the show by far.

Russ T

Banned
He would be fine if he weren't this 'huehue boobs' pervert that would best fit in some trashy harem show. Whenever he opens his mouth about this stuff it undermines all the attempts at building proper atmosphere in that show.

Yup. It's a real shame.

Besides, the big knight guy has a much better personality, as seen during the song portion of episode two. That's a guy I'd hang out with, while ignoring Ranta because he's a dick.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would say Ranta has the best personality when his personality is just as trope-heavy as everyone else. The thing is, he's brash and crude and loud, so of course he stands out. But he's still just as generic. And his crying after they kill the goblin is definitely NOT the only character defining moment or trait in the show so far. It's just the most obvious.

Priest guy likes to drink. It's possible he drinks to forget the shit happening to him and his friends every day. Might be wrong on this one, but it's a fairly common trope, and if this show does anything, it's rely on tropes.

Knight guy likes his solitude. He takes his responsibilities seriously, cleaning his sword, etc. He's also creative, with his whittling.

Mage girl has serious self-esteem issues. It's probable this is because she was actually overweight in the real world.

The rest may or may not get their time to shine, but even without MC and archer girl, that's just as much character for each of them as Ranta has. Not that any of this is a significant amount of character development... It's all rather shallow at this point, still.

Oh yeah archer girl had that moment where she was happy for mage and priest being all buddy buddy, while also giving off that vibe of longing for her own companionship.

With all of MC's narration, I feel like he must have had something, but uhhhh I got nothin'.

Love Live 07

The shocking revelation that Love Live is actually an in universe thing and not the name of the show. This is like that time in Chrono Trigger when you find out that Chrono Trigger is an actual object.

Someone should arrest manic sex fiend Nozomi already.

TUSR

Banned
Love Live 07

The shocking revelation that Love Live is actually an in universe thing and not the name of the show. This is like that time in Chrono Trigger when you find out that Chrono Trigger is an actual object.

Someone should arrest manic sex fiend Nozomi already.
still on s1?

Did Ash at least won a duel with Gary?

Is the latter even alive still or did he die of old agw?

Yes.

Ash went farther than Gary did in the Indigo Plateau. In the Silver Conference he beat him.

Also Misty became a gym leader. Hasn't appeared in the show since 2005. Probably won't ever appear again.

Ash siphoned off all the life energy he could get from her.

pbayne

remember when pikachu and ash almost split up

Yes. Near cried.

Remember when pikachu refused to evolve into Richu to defeat Guile

Anyways...

Kino's Journey 0

Really dense first episode. A lot of big philosophical questions asked and I was absorbed on to every line of dialogue. I can't think of what to say-just incredible, a perfect episode.

I want an episode of Pokemon where Ash plays some dick using Roar/Copycat strategy to make him constantly switch Pokemon. That would make me start watching.

Or Spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom