• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Snow White with the Red Hair 4

I know this series doesn't feature heavy conflict, but I wish it had even less conflict than it does now. The problems that each episode revolve around come across as trumped-up and somewhat artificial. Most of them so far involve people being mean to Shirayuki for no good reason.
I am fairly certain that the direction season two is taking involves making many of the "villains" from the first season more human and relatable. It's actually one of the most exciting aspects of where the story could go, so I hope they don't mess it up.

Snow White starts kinda rough, gets better, but yet never quite shakes off the shoujo trappings which weaken it. The problem is that the show wants it both ways all the time. It wants to be a slice of life tale, but it wants to be dramatic excitement. It wants to be about a strong progressive woman, but it wants to pander to the fantasy of girls being saved by princes. It wants to show that hard work and education is valued, but it also wants to promote the optimism of believing in your friends and yourself to overcome all with heart. Wanting things both ways often waters a narrative down and cheapens it.

Yeah, I feel it either needs to increase the level of drama (the setting would allow for interesting political intrigue, for instance) or have it just be cute and fluffy hang out times in court to be successful. Maybe I'll go check out Yona of the Dawn instead.

just FYI the protagonist of Code;Breaker is basically Shadow the Edgehog. He's hilarious in that regard though, and there's depth to him. But on the surface, he's a baaaaaaaaaaaaad boy

just FYI the protagonist of Code;Breaker is basically Shadow the Edgehog. He's hilarious in that regard though, and there's depth to him. But on the surface, he's a baaaaaaaaaaaaad boy

I watched like 2 episodes of Code;Breaker back in the day and that was my main take-away from it. I've always been a bit mystified and skeptical at all the praise thrown its way.

Finally, finally getting the original Aim for the Ace box sets. It's been one of the grails of my collection for so long.. well, about two years now.

Maybe I should watch Code Breaker.
tumblr_n33jm2yMro1t2mzddo1_500.gif

There's something to a protagonist that brutally murders people.

Maybe I should watch Code Breaker.
http://49.media.tumblr.com/84a6c899969fc48fa3a5dc01926f6165/tumblr_n33jm2yMro1t2mzddo1_500.gif[IMG]
There's something to a protagonist that brutally murders people.[/QUOTE]
[I]
Giving into the pain and thinking you want to die just means you've been spoiled by life. If you don't want to die, then don't act spoiled. Suffer through life; crawl through life. Stick it out till the very end. If you still want to die after that, come find me. I'll end you.[/I]
-Ogami Rei, protagonist of Code: Breakers

wonzo

Banned
code breaker not only owns and is cool but it's also the only nu-anime I can think of that actually deals with terrorism & blowback theory effectively. Good show.

just wish funi pumped out subs for the OVAs or really anyone for that matter

Wish Upon the Pleiades 3

Things got a bit sleazy once the girls transformed into swimsuits. It got in the way of the atmosphere the show was trying to evoke in sea and space.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.6
The ninja episode, huh. Such an oddly paced episode that felt like a SoL show. Of course, Tanabe has to get her moment of self-righteousness out, thus rime about love of all things. Oh well, pretty fun stuff.

Zolf

code breaker not only owns and is cool but it's also the only nu-anime I can think of that actually deals with terrorism & blowback theory effectively. Good show.

just wish funi pumped out subs for the OVAs or really anyone for that matter

I liked Code:Breaker, I thought it was well-paced for a 1 cour series, had reasonably interesting characters and it looked nice which never hurts.

Kono Subarashi is ok I guess, but I'm already watching another show with a bunch of jobbers in a fantasy setting where the world is based off a fantasy rpg. I don't need to watch another, especially with a chuuni wizard. And the humor just isn't enough to keep watching. Dropped.
Actually, Grimgar and Kono Suba are the shows that can complement each other.
They both look alike at first but then the story tones are complete different.

sonicmj1

Mushishi 3

Nearly two years ago, I watched the first two episodes of Mushishi, and was blown away by the show's methodical direction and incredible sound design. Then I stopped catching up and watched the first set of episodes from Zoku Shou. It was fantastic, and no less good for standing alone, but I wanted to actually get back to the first season before I finished the second.

This episode reminded me just how great the sound in Mushishi is. This episode is all about sound: how it reminds us of the world around us, how it reminds us of ourselves. In this episode, Ginko travels to a snow-soaked village, where he seeks to cure a young boy cursed by a rare Mushi to be flooded with sound such that he cannot hear the world around him. All the key moments in the episode are defined by sound, from the soft crunch of footsteps on fresh-fallen powder to the cacophony inside the boy's head, to the sound that frees him from his suffering. I can't think of any other show that uses sound effects this... effectively. And the gradual build of this episode makes its turn into a touching tale of grief and humanity natural and powerful.

I shouldn't have put this off so long.

Quasar

Is it? Haruhi is like Lucky Star, popular in the 2000s and only then. It can't be worth going back to now.

The movie I liked, though seeing it prior to the recent show was my first time. I imagine its different for old timers who saw it when it was released who try and go back now.

blurr

This shot was sooo good.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting some KyoAni show when I find some free time to binge watch. Not Hyouka, for now, though. Chuunibyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Amagi Park(Is this even good?) basically, leaning mostly towards the first one. I was also thinking of Beyond the Boundary but it doesn't seem to be received particularly well here so I'll probably skip it.

Haruhi Suzumiya TV show may not have aged well but I'd rewatch it. I saw the show shortly after I got into anime so I'm quite fond of it but the movie sequel Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is still worth checking out, if not highly recommended. One of the best anime films I've seen.

Chuunibyou's season 1 is great, season 2 is an utter waste of potential.

Beyond the Boundary is alright, don't keep too many expectations.

Snow White Episode 6
So Prince Zen's older brother is an asshole. He clearly enjoys flaunting the power he has over his younger brother.

Also Raj is here.
tumblr_nsvzqhBmGN1snlrs0o1_500.jpg

Raj is the best despite kind of being a villain.

ReLIFE anime announced.
Studio: TMS Entertainment

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/173218
Kaizaki Arata is a 27-year-old, out-of-work man who has failed at each and every job interview he has had after quitting his last company where he only lasted three months. His life changes after he meets Yoake Ryou of the ReLife Research Institute, who offers him a drug that can change his appearance to that of a 17-years-old again. Taking the drug, he becomes a subject in a one-year experiment in which he begins his life as a high school student again.

Note: Nominated for the 39th Annual Kodansha Manga Awards in 2015.
rgFF1kq.jpg

duckroll

Mononoke - Episode 1-2

This might have been a mistake. I thought I would watch some Mononoke to break up the pace of powering through Garo, but now I'm just all depressed instead. What a heavy way to start the series. It has all the elements which I enjoyed from the Ayakashi segment this started in thought - there's great atmosphere, the directing is cool in an eccentric way, and it blends dark moralistic tales with classic Japanese horror. I'm going to need my Garo fix later though, just to help me forget about all the dead babies. >_<

Line_HTX

That premise sounds like the upcoming FOX show Second Chance where the main character's appearance is altered completely just so he can have a new lease on life.

Garo the Animation 15

2jJzjws.jpg

I wasn't expecting to see this guy again.

This is a really neat concept for an episode, as it sidelines all the main characters of the series in favor of bringing back a victim from an earlier episodic story. At the end of that story, he had been left in a state of not knowing where to go, so it's great to see him here having found the courage to move forward. Indeed, he is not just moving forward but putting his skills to excellent use as he assembles a ragtag group of craftsman to assemble an artificial Garo, as a way to assist the rebuilding efforts of Santa Bard. It's a neat way of expanding the world, not only through its focus on minor characters but also through shifting the tone to provide the most optimistic episode yet.

I really like the guest character designs for this episode. The group Julio assembles have a lot of personality expressed just by their looks, and all stand out as unique with their varying body structures. They're a bit eccentric, perhaps, but not warriors or fighters, just civilians trying to do the best they can.

This episode is a useful counterbalance to much of the series, which often focuses on the negative aspects of humanity, as they succumb to corruption and sin. The stated motivations of the villains, Mendoza in particular, have been that people are too weak to deserve being protected by the Makai Knights; instead, they need to be ruled by a heavy hand. Here, through Julio and company's humble efforts, we see the true strength of humanity shine through, and a concrete reason for Alfonso and company to keep fighting. It's an extension of the show's general principle of show don't tell onto the thematic level.

Also, I must say this episode looked so good I'm surprised it wasn't an in-house episode. Not that there was any super-flashy animation, but the art was consistently polished and attractive, and the artificial armor, which was in 2D as opposed to the actual Makai Knight armor, was lovingly depicted in both stills and movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom