• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when will it air?

Right now we know TMS is airing Bakuon in the Spring so if ReLIFE airs in Summer than that means D.Gray-Man will air in Fall.

TMS Entertainment can and does animate multiple productions at the same time.

Mononoke - Episode 1-2

This might have been a mistake. I thought I would watch some Mononoke to break up the pace of powering through Garo, but now I'm just all depressed instead. What a heavy way to start the series. It has all the elements which I enjoyed from the Ayakashi segment this started in thought - there's great atmosphere, the directing is cool in an eccentric way, and it blends dark moralistic tales with classic Japanese horror. I'm going to need my Garo fix later though, just to help me forget about all the dead babies. >_<

Glad to see you've started this! But yeah, not a show you want to watch when you're not in the mood for something dark.

Hey at least it's a middle age man in High School.

That... that doesn't make it better.

He's gonna fall in love with some teen isn't he?

A synopsis from elsewhere continues: "After agreeing to the experiment, Arata joins a high school class, and meets Chizuru Hishiro, a socially awkward silent beauty who yearns to have friends. Through connecting with her and other classmates, Arata must find what he lacks to live a happy life in the real world within a one-year time limit." So yeah.

JulianImp

Synopsis started off promising then just got worse as I progressed.

I'd only be interested in it if the show pointed out how tough it would be for an adult to go back to his childhood. For example, it could show the guy taking girls way too seriously when they're only fooling around (which would probably scare them quite a bit), taking too much advantage of the freedom that comes from not having a job and slacking off too much for his own good, getting helplessly bored by school subjects he has either forgotten long ago or already knows like the back of his hand, getting incredibly frustrated at how his lack of a job also means he doesn't have the money to indulge in things he might want, and maybe even hating having to go back to dial-up, floppy disks, video casettes and no cell phones.

I'd only be interested in it if the show pointed out how tough it would be for an adult to go back to his childhood. For example, it could show the guy taking girls way too seriously when they're only fooling around (which would probably scare them quite a bit), taking too much advantage of the freedom that comes from not having a job and slacking off too much for his own good, getting helplessly bored by school subjects he has either forgotten long ago or already knows like the back of his hand, getting incredibly frustrated at how his lack of a job also means he doesn't have the money to indulge in things he might want, and maybe even hating having to go back to dial-up, floppy disks, video casettes and no cell phones.

I don't think he's going back in time; he's just taking a drug that makes him look younger. So it's sort of like the setup of Detective Conan.

duckroll

Garo the Animation 15

This is a really neat concept for an episode, as it sidelines all the main characters of the series in favor of bringing back a victim from an earlier episodic story. At the end of that story, he had been left in a state of not knowing where to go, so it's great to see him here having found the courage to move forward.

Wait, really? I don't really remember this. Which of the first 9 eps was he from? I guess this is the problem with picking up a show again a year later, lol. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode, but I totally didn't remember him.

I really like the guest character designs for this episode. The group Julio assembles have a lot of personality expressed just by their looks, and all stand out as unique with their varying body structures. They're a bit eccentric, perhaps, but not warriors or fighters, just civilians trying to do the best they can.

Yeah I loved the guest designs in this episode too. They were so good they could probably carry a comedy show on their own tbh. The designs are kinda Level5-ish too, in a good way.

Also, I must say this episode looked so good I'm surprised it wasn't an in-house episode. Not that there was any super-flashy animation, but the art was consistently polished and attractive, and the artificial armor, which was in 2D as opposed to the actual Makai Knight armor, was lovingly depicted in both stills and movement.

Get used to it. From here on out, it's pretty much impossible to tell if an episode if "outsourced". There are only episodes which look way better than usual, but there aren't any more which looks notably worse than the norm, at least up through ep20.

Mailbox

dekomori wasnt in the source material

Chris-Farley-Smile-to-Shock-Reaction.gif

Apparently so was Kumin and Rikka's older sister.
An annoying best friend and a pointless character I get, but finding out Rikka's sister is anime only has blown my mind. She's super important to the plot and character progression of the main characters in the anime in some form or another.

ReLIFE anime announced.
Studio: TMS Entertainment

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/173218

Could have sworn the anime adaptation for this was known for a while now. Pretty sure the studio being TMS is the news here.

Either way, while the premise sounds like it'd be bad, i hear its quite good, so idk. We'll have to see.

ibyea

Banned
A synopsis from elsewhere continues: "After agreeing to the experiment, Arata joins a high school class, and meets Chizuru Hishiro, a socially awkward silent beauty who yearns to have friends. Through connecting with her and other classmates, Arata must find what he lacks to live a happy life in the real world within a one-year time limit." So yeah.

Oh god, of freaking course.

JulianImp

I don't think he's going back in time; he's just taking a drug that makes him look younger. So it's sort of like the setup of Detective Conan.

Yeah, I wasn't talking specifically about this one show, but it's something that always bugged me about the whole "relive your high school days" premise (I think most people over 25 years old would find getting accustomed to old-school internet extremely hard at first).

Even then, the rest of my points still stand. Having prior knowledge of love, academics, job life and the such would probably alienate anyone quite a bit from the people around him, and it'd be even worse if he had prior knowledge of bigger things such as knowing his best friend's girlfriend had been cheating on him, or maybe that a classmate, friend or relative would later commit a crime, get in an accident or commit suicide, so the MC can try and prevent it somehow (even though this is Erased, I guess).

Edit: "Socially awkward silent beauty who yearns to have friends", yeah... how about no. Why the heck does it always have to be like this?

ibyea

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't talking specifically about this one show, but it's something that always bugged me about the whole "relive your high school days" premise (I think most people over 25 years old would find getting accustomed to old-school internet extremely hard at first).

Even then, the rest of my points still stand. Having prior knowledge of love, academics, job life and the such would probably alienate anyone quite a bit from the people around him, and it'd be even worse if he had prior knowledge of bigger things such as knowing his best friend's girlfriend had been cheating on him, or maybe that a classmate, friend or relative would later commit a crime, get in an accident or commit suicide, so the MC can try and prevent it somehow (even though this is Erased, I guess).

Edit: "Socially awkward silent beauty who yearns to have friends", yeah... how about no. Why the heck does it always have to be like this?

Ignore the big melodrama stuff. Why anyone would voluntarily go back to high school to restart one's life boggles my mind.

Mailbox

Anime industry just has an obsession with high school. Not to mention the fetishizing of high school girls.

There are a LOT of underlying reasons for that though. Probably the biggest is the high stress work culture japan has.

I do wish japanese media would diversify though. Some of my favorite anime are of characters whom are adults.

:/

ibyea

Banned
There are a LOT of underlying reasons for that though. Probably the biggest is the high stress work culture japan has.

I do wish japanese media would diversify though. Some of my favorite anime are of characters whom are adults.

And high school is not stressful? I mean isn't high school a ton of work, not to mention the cram school, and the all important entrance exam?

Wait, really? I don't really remember this. Which of the first 9 eps was he from? I guess this is the problem with picking up a show again a year later, lol. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode, but I totally didn't remember him.

Episode 6.

The person on the right there is Jordi, who is mentioned a few times in episode 15. He was the former head of a blacksmithing workshop, and took Julio in as an apprentice when he was an orphan on the streets. At the beginning of episode 6, soldiers from the castle deliver to him the sword of his son Sergi, who had been killed during the tests for the knighthood Mendoza had set up. That's the sword hanging on the wall which is seen a few times in episode 15.
Jordi ended up being possessed by a Horror which emerged from Sergi's sword, and went around at night asking soldiers where his son was and murdering them when they couldn't answer satisfactorily. German and Leon ended up taking care of him after Julio appealed to them.

Looks like Julio took German's advice.

Yeah I loved the guest designs in this episode too. They were so good they could probably carry a comedy show on their own tbh. The designs are kinda Level5-ish too, in a good way.

I'm not so sure I agree with the designs being like Level-5's, but I do agree with your earlier post that the story felt Layton-esque, mostly due to the steampunk nature of the armor construction.

Get used to it. From here on out, it's pretty much impossible to tell if an episode if "outsourced". There are only episodes which look way better than usual, but there aren't any more which looks notably worse than the norm, at least up through ep20.

That's good to hear!

Madoka Rebellion

This ending feels designed to get people arguing about whether it's a "happy ending" or not. Well, that and not be so conclusive as to close the door on the potential to make more money!

Personally, after so many different versions of events shown throughout the franchise, the final state of reality doesn't feel like it's the result of "tampering" any more than any other version as made by the actions of characters previously. Nothing about the state of the universe at the end of the TV series stands out as being the way it "should" be any more than any other potential version, and in fact the film events had a net gain for everyone.

At least, until the future of the new version plays out. We'll see if they show it to us.

Mailbox

And high school is not stressful? I mean isn't high school a ton of work, not to mention the cram school, and the all important entrance exam?

Not saying it isn't. In fact the amount of stress highschoolers in japan (and other asian countries) have to deal with is insane.

but stress isn't the fact I was talking about (although i should have been far more clear about that than i was, sorry). Rather the idea of societal importance and work ethic. (ie: I've heard a lot about the societal expectation to stay overtime compared to foreign workers)

Highschool and the workforce are different beasts with different ideologies rooted into them by society.

Its more about the time you have to be (even if it is a little) social and not fully locked into your worklife.

idk, kinda just throwing shit at a target board and I probably need to research the topic.

edit: basically, adulthood and workforce age aren't exactly exciting material for media production; hence the fetishistic nature of high schools in manga and anime.

edit2: also note that anime and manga characters tend to start out as freshmen. This is useful for 3 reasons:
1: Adds a fish out of water element and allows the viewer and the character experiences to be similar-ish
2: They don't have to be overly worried about entrance exams, or what their immediate futures are.
3: It offers flexibility as to length of a story and development of a character (ie: maybe they change what they want to be. Maybe they get serious about their future. Maybe they fail and lose all hope. Maybe you need to pad out a story until its dry (looking at you nisekoi))

this flexibility probably became a huge crutch for writers and publishers.

duckroll

Episode 6.

The person on the right there is Jordi, who is mentioned a few times in episode 15. He was the former head of a blacksmithing workshop, and took Julio in as an apprentice when he was an orphan on the streets. At the beginning of episode 6, soldiers from the castle deliver to him the sword of his son Sergi, who had been killed during the tests for the knighthood Mendoza had set up. That's the sword hanging on the wall which is seen a few times in episode 15.
Jordi ended up being possessed by a Horror which emerged from Sergi's sword, and went around at night asking soldiers where his son was and murdering them when they couldn't answer satisfactorily. German and Leon ended up taking care of him after Julio appealed to them.

Oooooh I remember who he is now. Thanks. It's pretty cool that they have continuity in the world, even with minor supporting characters.

ibyea

Banned
Not saying it isn't. In fact the amount of stress highschoolers in japan (and other asian countries) have to deal with is insane.

but stress isn't the fact I was talking about (although i should have been far more clear about that than i was, sorry). Rather the idea of societal importance and work ethic. (ie: I've heard a lot about the societal expectation to stay overtime compared to foreign workers)

Highschool and the workforce are different beasts with different ideologies rooted into them by society.

Its more about the time you have to be (even if it is a little) social and not fully locked into your worklife.

idk, kinda just throwing shit at a target board and I probably need to research the topic.

edit: basically, adulthood and workforce age aren't exactly exciting material for media production; hence the fetishistic nature of high schools in manga and anime.

edit2: also note that anime and manga characters tend to start out as freshmen. This is useful for 3 reasons:
1: Adds a fish out of water element and allows the viewer and the character experiences to be similar-ish
2: They don't have to be overly worried about entrance exams, or what their immediate futures are.
3: It offers flexibility as to length of a story and development of a character (ie: maybe they change what they want to be. Maybe they get serious about their future. Maybe they fail and lose all hope. Maybe you need to pad out a story until its dry (looking at you nisekoi))

this flexibility probably became a huge crutch for writers and publishers.

yeah thanks for clarifying that makes sense

You have to remember that a lot of anime are adapting works aimed at youth, and are themselves often targeting youth. So it makes sense that they would feature youthful characters. There'll never be a time where adult lead characters are the majority in anime. But anime featuring adults still regularly get made: Yamato 2199, Garo, Lupin, Rakugo Shinjuu, Joker Game, etc. There's diversity out there if you don't let your eyes be clouded by the sea of generic LN adaptations.

Oooooh I remember who he is now. Thanks. It's pretty cool that they have continuity in the world, even with minor supporting characters.

Yes, it shows that a great deal of thought has gone into planning the setting. I also like how the woman whose sheet German borrowed when he was running naked has become a recurring character, and indeed a love interest for him.

Mailbox

You have to remember that a lot of anime are adapting works aimed at youth, and are themselves often targeting youth. So it makes sense that they would feature youthful characters. There'll never be a time where adult lead characters are the majority in anime. But anime featuring adults still regularly get made: Yamato 2199, Garo, Lupin, Rakugo Shinjuu, Joker Game, etc. There's diversity out there if you don't let your eyes be clouded by the sea of generic LN adaptations.

Very well aware.

There are many many reasons as to why the anime industry and manga industry, etc operate and create what they do.

That said, its always nice when diversity shoots it's head over and gives you a warm smile (like with Erased or Death parade and even a few others from last year.)

It kinda feels like anime is ever so slightly diversifying a little bit, but that might just be me.

If it isn't just me, then I'm glad :)

Quasar

Ignore the big melodrama stuff. Why anyone would voluntarily go back to high school to restart one's life boggles my mind.

Thats wheres the rot set in for them in terms of life choices?

Its hard to imagine Japanese kids looking back fondly on those years though.

As a westerner though I do do look back really fondly on highschool/college. Of course I don't think I'd want to go back without my friends. Thats what made it great.

blurr

Wasn't there a joke about an alternate universe where anime characters are excited about a live action show called "salary man"

Qurupeke

Thursday has become my favourite day of the week because of Erased.

Also, it seems impossible to find animes about college/university life. I guess they wouldn't work out though, as half of the episodes would be about studying or looking for a job...

Madoka Rebellion

This ending feels designed to get people arguing about whether it's a "happy ending" or not. Well, that and not be so conclusive as to close the door on the potential to make more money!

That was definitely not a happy ending.

ibyea

Banned
Thursday has become my favourite day of the week because of Erased.

Also, it seems impossible to find animes about college/university life. I guess they wouldn't work out though, as half of the episodes would be about studying or looking for a job...

I would be interested in one about grad school actually.

blurr

Niea_7 is one show I wish I had watched when I was in college(which is also about a college student albeit not much happens in college), I could relate to so much of it. A friend suggested it a long time ago as well, I regret stalling it.

pbayne

I think somebody mentioned that Genshiken is set in college or something.

Yeah Genshiken absolutely applies and it does deal with its characters stress and troubles when entering the work force too. Plus the cast constantly changes due to characters graduating.

Its also the only show about a group of otaku were the people aren't insufferable and they're not made out to be socially inept.

Plus in season 2 they turn into a fujoishi circle which is just amazing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm 02
This is to VNs what Utawarerumono is to SRPGs. Deeply rooted in the conventions of the source material, but I feel like this adaptation gives off the right vibe. In general, the story here carries a very positive vibe that the strong VA cast kind of basks in, outside of grumpy dark past man. The themes are already apparent and emerging, and their upbeat nature fits hand in hand with the warm atmosphere of the show. The lean into the competitive/sports aspect has the potential to just gut the mood of the show for me, and introduce scenarios that will inevitably be tedious. It's sort of just average in a lot of ways but it's doing enough right to elevate it over a number of other shows this season. What's here is cohesive and seems like it has people that care about it working on it, which feels nice in a season stacked with anime that are exploitative, gimmicky, and obsequious to the audience.

phaze

Mushishi 3

Nearly two years ago, I watched the first two episodes of Mushishi, and was blown away by the show's methodical direction and incredible sound design. Then I stopped catching up and watched the first set of episodes from Zoku Shou. It was fantastic, and no less good for standing alone, but I wanted to actually get back to the first season before I finished the second.

Wise choice cause the first season is better !

just FYI the protagonist of Code;Breaker is basically Shadow the Edgehog. He's hilarious in that regard though, and there's depth to him. But on the surface, he's a baaaaaaaaaaaaad boy

Interest rising.

Mononoke - Episode 1-2

This might have been a mistake. I thought I would watch some Mononoke to break up the pace of powering through Garo, but now I'm just all depressed instead. What a heavy way to start the series. It has all the elements which I enjoyed from the Ayakashi segment this started in thought - there's great atmosphere, the directing is cool in an eccentric way, and it blends dark moralistic tales with classic Japanese horror. I'm going to need my Garo fix later though, just to help me forget about all the dead babies. >_<
Woah, Duckroll is watching a good anime.

Kare Kano 01

I like her already.

This was pretty good. I'm rather surprised at how over the top it is as I came in expecting something more grounded but the comedy so far is School Rumble levels of silly. Except here it's working better for me. My only complaint would be the constant, relentless monologuing coming from Miyazawa. I hope she'll ease off on that in the future cause it got tiring already in the second half of the episode.

Watched the first episode of both Dagashi Kashi and Erased.

Dagashi seems pretty cute so far, and I love purple hair girls ;p

Erased is the type of show I want to just binge, but not sure I'll be able to wait =/ Ep 1 was solid though.

How is Snow White with the Red Hair? I see it's on Hulu, art looks good, wondering if I should squeeze that in.

pbayne

Kino's Journey 6&7

Two parter with the most action focused episodes so far. Forced Kino into a lot of awkward positions as she she had to choose between is it better to grant someone a willing death or force them to live out a miserable life.

Despite being ludicrously evil at times the king character is actually humanized rather well and the logic behind why he's made such a depraved society makes a certain amount of sense. Good that the show doesn't instantly portray evil as black and white which makes Kino's final decision really ambiguous. It's striking in that it's the first time in the show so far that Kino really makes a definitive choice and her decision is shockingly disturbing.

Kino's Journey 8

Repression and gender roles, mainly women, was the theme of this episode. Miyazaki approved episode=Female+Flight=Freedom.

It was cool to see Kino paired up with another kind of non-traditional, independent woman. Her and Kino are portrayed as taking on masculine roles but not in the stupid way that a lot of shows try to convey that. Like they don't lose they're femininity just because they defy gender roles.

Kino's Journey 9

My favorite episode so far just for how tightly its written and how it loops from beginning to end.

The episode is about censorship, freedom of information and blurring the lines between fact and fiction. Lot of propaganda type stuff here as certain books are baned and only 'safe' books censored by critics are fit for reading. Yet the show doesn't instantly say "oh censorhip is bad". It shows the other side of the coin where people become delusional and ruin their lives by becoming obsessed with that form of entertainment.

There was a great meta narrative of someone questioning Kino was she a character in a story and if all her actions were pre-determined. So in essence the episode turns into a story within a story possibly within another story. Really clever stuff.

Finally it also has one of the greatest verbal bitchslaps i've heard. Speaking about people who critic things someone calls them " crazy people who ruin other people's pleasure".

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The relife manga about to end too, so i guess it'll be faithful adaptation. I enjoy the manga, and it is quite dunny on the beginning.

In Re:life case, the protagonist will get a help from the company that experiment on him to find a job after he's done with it. Not to mention the whole time during his school lofe he will be supported by them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom