• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Hat

KonoSuba 02

To be honest. I'm enjoying this show... thought I'd hate it.

eC3Kph7.jpg

Hopefully today's episode of Erased is good.

Don't want it to go downhill. :(

Can't be thinking like this. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow and accept it when life gives you lemons. Make that juicy lemonade, drink it all, and enjoy yourself. Lemons like these are few and far between.

Cornbread78

Jintor

Utena 9

i really like that i'm 9 episodes in and i'm still unsure if anthy is an actual character or a weird plot contrivance

/edit fuck my life was that the metal gear MR PRESIDENT conversation at the end there? god damn it utena what the fuck is happening

Phatmac

Haven't been on here since I've been learning programming for the first time but Gintama proved to be a good break from it. Lots of strong moments here especially Gin defending Takasugi with a badass speech. The both of them teaming up together was so hype. Gotta say I like Kagura's new hair down look. Solid episode but it had more QUALITY moments then usual.

phaze

Kare Kano 3

Reaction faces continue to be a thing of beauty but holy mother of all heavy handed drama, that was ... heavy. And silly. And clashed badly with the tone of show so far. Anno needs to take a chill pill. The last quarter also felt weirdly rushed. Arima's issues, over which overracted so strongly earlier on, are swept away instantly, Miyazawa suddenly gets a new outlook on life and follows that with a lightning quick narration of events, the coverage of which could have easily taken a half or an entire episode.

Kare Kano 3
Reaction faces continue to be a thing of beauty but holy mother of all heavy handed drama, that was ... heavy. And silly. And clashed badly with the tone of show so far. Anno needs to take a chill pill. The last quarter also felt weirdly rushed. Arima's issues, over which overracted so strongly earlier on, are swept away instantly, Miyazawa suddenly gets a new outlook on life and follows that with a lightning quick narration of events, the coverage of which could have easily taken a half or an entire episode.

So that's where I was amazed at how well this quick juggling of different tones worked out thanks to great direction. Considering that, I can't imagine you'll like it going forward.

Wanted to dive into Toradora again today as well. So, good timing.

Zankyou no Terror/Terror in Resonance
yay or nay?

Nay. Some parts of the show were extremely well directed (ferris wheel for instance) but the writing is just so bad. So damn bad. Maybe just listen to the OST instead.

Pooya

It's that bad? Does it at least have nice action scenes like Bebop or Champloo?

there were some explosions and some sequences in the early episodes. Rest of it was just boooooring puzzle solving, awful wikipedia puzzles at that. I guess there was some action in the end too. Definitely not worth watching for action scenes. It's mostly words words words from awful characters.

Tuck

Watched the first episode of both Dagashi Kashi and Erased.

Dagashi seems pretty cute so far, and I love purple hair girls ;p

Erased is the type of show I want to just binge, but not sure I'll be able to wait =/ Ep 1 was solid though.

How is Snow White with the Red Hair? I see it's on Hulu, art looks good, wondering if I should squeeze that in.

Eh, I ended up dropping it. It was occasionally enjoyable, sometimes a bit boring. Fun characters.

But my god does the writing get heavy handed at times.

duckroll

Garo the Animation - Episode 21

Good fight with effective direction, especially the usage of flashbacks to communicate the true meaning of Makai Knights "talking with their swords" in this instance. While the fight itself seems totally random and unreasonable at first, as context develops, it becomes pretty clear what's going on. It's also really nice to see the father-son relationship come full circle, with each acknowledging the other as a man. I really like the choreography with the mecha horse too. The CG seems to have been getting better and better as the series progressed.

Garo the Animation - Episode 22

When Garo gets climatic, the tension and sense of finality is really good. This is how fantasy stories should be - regardless of whether it is a book, game, movie, or show. The stakes are raised, the mechanisms of the plans are revealed, and the heroes have to overcome various traps and obstacles towards the final objective. I'm really surprised that they managed to sneak in a cool totally unique setting for an illusion trap this late in the show. Stuff like that really makes everything feel more varied all the way to the end, and it's pretty cool.

I really like the extra details on Octavia's Horror armor form to reflect physical state - like the artificial leg. I'm a sucker for little touches like that. :D

Garo the Animation - Episode 23

OMG. This is how you do a pen-ultimate episode of a dark fantasy action series. Action packed, filled with satisfying and high tension moments, great animation and direction, a bunch OH YEAH and FUCK moments. Jesus Christ. I wish Rage of Bahamut had a climax this good. It's really obvious throughout the episode that both the writing and the storyboards totally maximized what they could use to make the episode super entertaining. The really detailed close-ups for the major scenes near the end of the episode added a nice kick to what were already very satisfying scenes.

Only one more to go!

Exalted

Terror in Resonance would be a much better series if they would never introduced FIVE. I actually really liked the first few episodes :S, the explosion and the bike scene were great. But then FIVE appeared and the story just went stupid.

- Bike scene -

While in the end the series fell short, i hope we get more similar attempts at something original and fresh, since curenttly it fells like 90% of the anime each season are more of the same or just rebrands of old ideas.

Also the series had some great unique OST;
-1-
-2-
-3-

Active Raid Episode 3 – Challenge From the Arena
tumblr_o1b7rfIpVU1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o1b7rfIpVU1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Best episode yet, the anime really improves once better antagonists have came in. Mythos or whatever his name is is great as well as the other guy whose name I dont think is known yet (love his outfit and personality). Actually both antagonists were great.

Plot was fantastic too.

Why have everything connected to the network like that, the battle back and forth over the accessing of the system over wifi was it, why?

Tuck

Only thing I didn't like about Garo was the yelling during the fight scenes.

There's a lot of it, and they distort it to sound... metallic. Incredibly annoying.

Terror in Resonance would be a much better series if they would never introduced FIVE. I actually really liked the first few episodes :S, the explosion and the bike scene were great. But then FIVE appeared and the story just went stupid.

- Bike scene -

While in the end the series fell short, i hope we get more similar attempts at something original and fresh, since curenttly it fells like 90% of the anime each season are more of the same or just rebrands of old ideas.

Also the series had some great unique OST;
-1-
-2-
-3-

Five was merely one of the symptoms of the bad writing. There were issues right from the beginning, one just couldn't be quite sure at that point. Some of us actually pointed out how idiotic it is for the protagonists to incinerate a skyscraper and attempting to get us to care for them nevertheless because they miraculously avoid any casualties.

That was episode 1 (I think) and already then it was apparent that ZnT might attempt to portray terrorist acts in a favorable light. And why would they do that? Because the entire narrative of this show is nonsense and they clearly weren't thinking much further than having cool and likable terrorists...somehow.

Like, there isn't even half a good justification throughout this show as to why destroying some public buildings and risking the lives of many would help them get their message or so across. Especially not when they already got an insanely popular YouTube account after just one such incident which they could then use to simply fucking talk about what happened to them.

Golden Time is the perfect sequel to my favorite movie
Ghostbusters

don't read that unless you want a hint of a plot point lol

Jokes aside I appreciate they made a show set in college and even with the melodrama, 2d-kun carries the show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom