• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased 3

The one thing I didn't like about this episode is the decision to include the very final shot. It came off as a bit too on-the-nose way to include a thriller cliffhanger. I would have preferred the episode to end on the Christmas tree scene, even if it wouldn't have had the "Better come back next week!" hook that TV dramas like to have.

Otherwise, this is still an unbelievably well made show, which retains its cinematic feeling through the meaningful choice of interesting layouts and the strong animation and art. The emotional impact of scenes such as Satoru going to Kayo's home or the theft in the classroom is really heightened by intelligent direction. The way the camera moved from Kayo's torn mittens to the door of the shed, for instance, was a simple yet powerful decision that brought me into the moment. I'm not worried about the production itself at this point, but if this level of thoughtful direction keeps up throughout the show, it'll end up very special indeed.

phaze

Meanwhile, how we feel when bullying in unison:

nQZNfWR.gif

Accurate.

Erased 03
Jeez they don't hold back
much on showing the child abuse. The mother is an absolute scumbag.

Teacher seems like a way too obvious red herring to be the real culprit.

I haven't paid much attention to the show before the season came and even reading the premise didn't fill me with much faith but I'm really glad to be eating crow, so far at least. I pray I can continue to do that for the remainder of the season.

JCG

Active Raid - 03

Ugliest yet arguably silliest episode so far would be how I'd sum things up. Not at first, since I was a little worried about where it seemed to be going, but the second half was silly in a pretty good way. I liked how they turned the whole situation upside down and I am definitely not against making police mecha do ridiculous things. Nice dumb fun.

Erased 03

Bow down to the king.

10/10. The show hasn't faltered, even if the last scene was a bit funny and unnecessary, we as the audience know it's a mystery who-dun-it type of show, no need to OH WHAT IS GOING IN HEREEE OOOOOH scene.

I don't tend to see abuse to this degree regularly, and jesus it's heartbreaking. But then you get the sweet scene of the
christmas tree
and your heart melts. Also the older kid is too much of a nice introvert, no wonder people thought what they did lol. Poor guy.

This show has one more episode before I make my friend watch it with me. It has been too good. I wanted a solid mystery anime for a while now since Hyouka (if that counts as one) so this is amazing.

Keep up this quality and don't shit the bed at the end and you have a guaranteed spot in my top 10 of the year.

Finally, MC is a fucking boss for making that girl cry hahaha. Little spoiled shit.

edit: and yes
sensei
seems too obvious to be it, but maybe it's as simple as that.

Exalted

I just hope Erased doesn't go all dark in the future, and we get a somewhat positive ending. I would be devastated if any of the 2 MC should die.

I just hope Erased doesn't go all dark in the future, and we get a somewhat positive ending.

How would a time travel series have a non positive ending? That would defeat the purpose of the ride. The only losers would probably be if only two of the three missing/dead dont get saved, otherwise, I would imagine whoever the true culprit is is caught, Yuuki doesnt go to jail, Hinazuki is saved, lead characters mom evades death since the present would never happen etc.

Qurupeke

About Erased, something I forgot to write. Is it an artistic choice that bad guys have red eyes, or do they really have them? In the first episode, I was expecting it to be the reason Satoru will identify the killer in the past, but he hasn't mentioned this particular characteristic at all. The killer and Hinazuki's parents had those eyes, so I don't really think it's a coincidence.

Erased 03

UGH. Some of those scenes made me sick to my stomach. Just shit, man. I watched The Revenant yesterday and the stuff here made me more uncomfortable then that entire movie.

I don't know what to say other then this show is excellent and easily AOTS.

Oji-san to Marshmallow 03

But then again, Oji-san to Marshmallow exists.

Wakabayashi full yandere mode when

Jex

About Erased, something I forgot to write. Is it an artistic choice that bad guys have red eyes, or do they really have them? In the first episode, I was expecting it to be the reason Satoru will identify the killer in the past, but he hasn't mentioned this particular characteristic at all. The killer and Hinazuki's parents had those eyes, so I don't really think it's a coincidence.

I don't have a hotline to call the director up but it wouldn't really make sense any other way, would it? It's not like you run into many human beings with red eyes.

Personally, I find that particular touch to be a little 'cartoon villain' for my liking.

In where I have nothing to watch cause most of the good shows are all adapted from manga. Oh well, it's strange to see the english name for Boku dake ga Inai Machi to be Erased though. Kinda fitting in the end.

I just hope Erased doesn't go all dark in the future, and we get a somewhat positive ending. I would be devastated if any of the 2 MC should die.

ggkjq.gif

Stay tuned.

Clov

Discotek has licensed Cromartie High School. By April or May, you will all be able to experience the magic of Norio Wakamoto making motorcycle noises once more.

Erased 3

Still good, very good. In fact, it's even more promising now: while technically it could falter in the latter episodes, I refuse to believe someone who has made something of this caliber is going to suddenly nosedive in the quality of the work.

Discotek has licensed Cromartie High School. By April or May, you will all be able to experience the magic of Norio Wakamoto making motorcycle noises once more.

i really want it, but that fucking bear has that sweet Queen album dvd and I know he'll use it as a bragging point when all I get is a regular blu ray cover.

Jex

In where I have nothing to watch cause most of the good shows are all adapted from manga. Oh well, it's strange to see the english name for Boku dake ga Inai Machi to be Erased though. Kinda fitting in the end.

To be fair, isn't that a problem likely to occur every season, forever?

Clov

i really want it, but that fucking bear has that sweet Queen album dvd and I know he'll use it as a bragging point when all I get is a regular blu ray cover.

It'll probably just be on DVD, I don't think Cromartie has a BD release in Japan. We don't know the cover art yet either, so maybe it'll be the same or similar!

It's rather shortsighted to skip anime that's adapted from other material, both because that leaves you with comparatively few choices, most of poor quality due to the generally low quality of original anime writing (with some standout exceptions such as Garo the Animation and Shounen Hollywood), and because an animated adaptation can dramatically improve on the original work if the director is talented and visionary enough.

Exalted

I guess i forgot this is an anime , so the chance of anyone of the MC dying is almost nonexisting.

How would a time travel series have a non positive ending? That would defeat the purpose of the ride. The only losers would probably be if only two of the three missing/dead dont get saved, otherwise, I would imagine whoever the true culprit is is caught, Yuuki doesnt go to jail, Hinazuki is saved, lead characters mom evades death since the present would never happen etc.

There are many time travel stories where things don't go as planed, or even worse. Well not really in anime, but the closest thing there recently is probably that time jump in monogatari

I'm pretty sure Erased will have an ending with a positive tone, but that doesn't necessarily mean a "and they all lived happily ever after" ending.
Yeah i actually meant something more like this.

Gvitor

Erased 03

This show continues to surprise me. And it ended so fast again...

The christmas tree scene and the smile... heartwarming.

Qurupeke

I don't have a hotline to call the director up but it wouldn't really make sense any other way, would it? It's not like you run into many human beings with red eyes.

Personally, I find that particular touch to be a little 'cartoon villain' for my liking.

Yeah, I guessed so. I really hoped it would be an actual clue on the killer but it was probably too obvious.

there's a little film called Primer I recommend

It'll probably just be on DVD, I don't think Cromartie has a BD release in Japan. We don't know the cover art yet either, so maybe it'll be the same or similar!

I'll consider DVD but I'd rather have blu-ray. I mean it might not have any improvements with a bigger file format, but my collection is blu-ray and DVDs are for old smelly old people

It's rather shortsighted to skip anime that's adapted from other material, both because that leaves you with comparatively few choices, most of poor quality due to the generally low quality of original anime writing (with some standout exceptions such as Garo the Animation and Shounen Hollywood), and because an animated adaptation can dramatically improve on the original work if the director is talented and visionary enough.

True that. I think me having known the story already is making me think that watching that something again is not worth the time.

Norn 9 Episode 3
tumblr_o1bi3dN42T1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o1bi3dN42T1qbxqfpo2_540.png

She was on a path for being a good lead but how so gullible.

Sorata and the mysteries of the ship is far more interesting.

The lunch scene and Senri moments were also pretty hilarious.

Also, adaptations can turn out very, very different from the original work, on almost every level. I remember when Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle was announced, I was so excited I ran to the library and eagerly read Diane Wynne Jones' book. When I eventually was able to watch the movie, though, I had a rude shock.

Clov

there's a little film called Primer I recommend

I'll consider DVD but I'd rather have blu-ray. I mean it might not have any improvements with a bigger file format, but my collection is blu-ray and DVDs are for old smelly old people

I know that feeling; I pretty much only buy on Blu-Ray when it comes to anime. Any DVD only titles that I don't have are pretty much on the backburner when it comes to priority.

I don't know how much Cromartie could benefit from an upscale on BD. The best case scenario would be that it looks slightly better instead of significantly worse (which has happened with some upscaled titles). I don't think it will happen anyway, unless that there is an upscaled HD master for Cromartie back in Japan that just hasn't been used.

I know that feeling; I pretty much only buy on Blu-Ray when it comes to anime. Any DVD only titles that I don't have are pretty much on the backburner when it comes to priority.

I don't know how much Cromartie could benefit from an upscale on BD. The best case scenario would be that it looks slightly better instead of significantly worse (which has happened with some upscaled titles). I don't think it will happen anyway, unless that there is an upscaled HD master for Cromartie back in Japan that just hasn't been used.

I'm just a tad obsessive with it , if I have all of these blu-ray shows and then one ugly tall dvd box sticking out it just sits there mocking me.

Like when you have a small scratch in your car. Nobody else notices it. But you do. Every single time. You always notice it.

Clov

I'm just a tad obsessive with it , if I have all of these blu-ray shows and then one ugly tall dvd box sticking out it just sits there mocking me.

Like when you have a small scratch in your car. Nobody else notices it. But you do. Every single time. You always notice it.

I just keep all my BDs together, and keep the DVDs separate. Though the cases don't bother me much, since I have some BD releases that came in DVD cases (Bunny Drop, Disappearance of Haruhi, etc) and a bunch of collectors editions, so it's all inconsistent anyway.

Here's what it looks like at the moment:

U8y1B6u.jpg

Erased - 3

Yep, still great.

Adult stuck in a kids body can be pretty fun if done well. Makes for some good comedic relief, which is appreciated given the brutal (but grounded) display of child abuse and the like.

Erased - 3

Yep, still great.

Adult stuck in a kids body can be pretty fun if done well. Makes for some good comedic relief, which is appreciated given the brutal (but grounded) display of child abuse and the like.

Having adult Satoru narrating his internal thoughts as he struggles to navigate the world of child Satoru makes for an interesting dichotomy. I particularly appreciated the ice skating scene, as a way of drawing out what we learn (or not) from experience in a manner not even directly related to the main "mystery".

Phatmac

Still pretty good but they're making it pretty obvious as to who the killer is going to be so I'm hoping for some kind of twist. It was still pretty nasty with Kayo's abuse. The last moment by the tree was enough to make it better. What a wonderful scene.

I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't too interested in the show staying in the past, but I wouldn't mind it now if it means seeing her smile after all the shit she's been through.

I don't even care about the high school girl who got way too much characterization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom