• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they do somewhat deserve the bad reputation they have but there are a lot of great shows that have come from light novels too:

Haruhi Suzamiya
Full Metal Panic
Kino's Journey
Hibike Euphonium
Boogiepop phantom
Spice and Wolf
Toradora
Baccano
Fate/Zero

And not sure is they're classed as light novel or just novels but

Welcome to the N.H.K
Hyouka

Edit: Oh Katangatari as well

There is a disturbing lack of Durarara on this list.

Brand New Blue cover is great.
CZUMHGoUgAAxTq0.jpg
CZUzNCnUgAEXyYx.jpg

I think they do somewhat deserve the bad reputation they have but there are a lot of great shows that have come from light novels too:

Haruhi Suzamiya
Full Metal Panic
Kino's Journey
Hibike Euphonium
Boogiepop phantom
Spice and Wolf
Toradora
Baccano
Fate/Zero

Welcome to the N.H.K
Hyouka

Accel World
The Devil Is A Part Timer
Overlord
Mahouka Koukou
Mekaku City Actors
Durarara
Tokyo Ravens

are missing.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Haruhi Suzamiya
Full Metal Panic
Kino's Journey
Hibike Euphonium
Boogiepop phantom
Spice and Wolf
Toradora
Baccano
Fate/Zero

Welcome to the N.H.K
Hyouka

There is a disturbing lack of Durarara on this list.

Accel World
The Devil Is A Part Timer
Overlord
Mahouka Koukou
Mekaku City Actors
Durarara
Tokyo Ravens

are missing.

Don't forget the first LN novel that somehow manage to get hollywood adaptation
All You Need is Kill a.k.a Edge of Tomorrow a.k.a Live, Die, Repeat

And if we're counting live action adaptation, there's Biblia Koshodō no Jiken Techō

phaze

Noein 10-20

Some, or rather, quite a lot, of my early enthusiasm petered out since the show took a hit in almost every apartment. Character behaviour became increasingly silly and erratic. Also not a fan of the more pronounced focus on the rest of the kid cast which comes from this bizarre plot of housing 4 time travelers in your house. All of whom of course tried to kill Haruka at one point or another. But suuure it's an anime so why not. At least it gave me the relish of seeing a 12 year kid getting repetitively NTR'ed by his own self from 15 years into the future. lol Fuck you Yuu, that's what you gets for being an insufferable character.

- Episode 12 had probably the most impressive showcase fighting animation in this show. Wish it'd occur more frequently and in longer stretches.
-Really liked #16 which was this weird mix of fever dream, quasi recap ep and Steins;Gate 24.
-At times, I feel like I'm watching Escaflowne on steroids. Haruka sports pretty much the same Deus Ex Machina on her as
Hitomi.
Though she uses it much more frequently from what I remember.

Reikenzan - 01

I found this rather fun. Didn't have any expectations going in, but ended up enjoying it.
Plethora of faces, and the (to me) unexpected comedic bits was enough to keep me going.

Oh and best girl appears to be fighting a bear in the OP, so I feel obliged to continue!

The mystery was alright I will grant you but dear god no, the MC was boring, he was boring by design as his personality was aloof and blunt to the brink of anti-social tendencies and the conversations were ponderous and dull for the most part.

I don't mind the professor at all. The two main qualms I have about the show are 1) I'm a bit concerned about its portrayal of women at this juncture. Not only Moe and Shiki, but even the other two side females who have gotten a little screen time, the student assistant(?) and the woman who came to visit Sohei in the first episode are portrayed negatively. So I'm a bit worried that the author is trying to portray women as intrinsically dangerous to men, but I don't want to jump the gun with that conclusion so I'm going to see where he takes the characters.

My other main concern is 2) the cuts are too fast at many points. For instance, in the scenes depicting Moe's interview with Dr. Magata, the camera at times will jump back and forth between their two faces very quickly with no seeming reason. I'm not sure Mamoru Kanbe is a confident enough director to do a good visual portrayal of the extended dialogues this novel adaptation features. Maybe things will get a little better in that regard when he stops storyboarding the episodes?

There's also the matter of the art design being rather poor, though the character designs are good enough to somewhat make up for that.

Toradora - 01-03

Made it one episode further than last time already! That's the only positive spin I can give it though. Otherwise the show is as good as it's character design.

uz3XzX8.jpg

that's some nice nose ventilation slits you got there

Toradora has no rhyme or reasons to its direction. There's a lack of changing visuals up for the (attempted) comedic and over the top behavior, which gives the impression that this stuff is actually seriously taking place like that. And indeed, it's even played straight to some degree, like Taiga being this violent twat. This removes any chance of me identifying this world as properly grounded and empathize with the characters. Would be hard enough to empathize with slapstick Taiga to begin with even if her violent physical outburst were portrayed as something that's not actually happening like that. Instead though, she pokes Riyuuji in the eyes in this episode 3 and he even remarks that his eyes are still sore later on. Like...what?

Why would anyone like Taiga then? Why is he so nice to her? It's deplorable when the show attempts to give some 'she's not actually that bad' sequences when the dialogue is so bad and this garbage behavior remains consistent anyways. It's not just her, though. Ryuuji is as bland as a character as she's bad person. He's basically a nice guy just because. He cleans Taiga's apartment and makes her food all the time now because he's that nice. Thanks to his father's early death (if his mother really meant it like that) and his mother being stuck at some child's level of mental capacity, he grew up to become a good, independent guy, because he had to care for himself...I guess. I mean, actually growing up under these circumstances might take a rather large toll on a child but, Ryuuji was probably already a great kid, so no problem for him.

w4yUEvh.jpg

Lovely shot and introduction of his mom btw.

There's 0 depths to the mother's character as of yet, too. She's too childish for her age, that's literally all there is. Whether she actually properly struggles with the loss of her husband (if he really died, who knows if she told Ryuuji the truth back then) and has some awareness of how badly she's behaving is totally unclear at this point. If such themes are to be explored one has to give small indications early on. So even if they're going down that route later on, this is already a failure.

Romance and comedy both don't work at all because the characters are all unlikable, the world feels strange and the general writing and direction is plain bad. The dialogue...my god. The confession scene in episode 2. "Then do you hate him?" Jesus fucking Christ Kitamura, can you just stop talking about Ryuuji. I guess he's supposed to be written as this super bro, but all I get is a bunch of stilted nonsense dialogue.

Seeing people watch Toradora makes me sad, it is the quintessential over-rated romance anime. Your romance story loses 99% of its favor with me if your idea of a couple involves your typical violent tsundere trope with a HEAVY emphasis on violent.

Seeing people watch Toradora makes me sad, it is the quintessential over-rated romance anime. Your romance story loses 99% of its favor with me if your idea of a couple involves your typical violent tsundere trope with a HEAVY emphasis on violent.
When it aired I feel that people weren't as tired of tsunderes as they are now

Defuser

Heavy Object ep 15
ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohohoohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohohoohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho

Heavy Object ep 15
ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohohoohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohohoohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho ohoho

Are you trying to sucker MetroidPrimeRib into watching this terrible show?

blurr

It's a fun show with intense drama in the later half

It's a good show. Also has one of my favorite scenes/sequences in anime when she and the prez beat the FUCK out of each other.

0fc9e63a218555ef2460c2c268d8daa5.gif

Russ T

Banned
So I've watched about 20 episodes of Gintama and I feel like it's time to take a break from that and watch something else.

The shorter ones on my backlog are:

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

The longer ones are:

Gintama
Lupin III (red/pink)
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Advise me, AnimeGAF.

No sorry every moment Taiga was on screen negatively impacted my enjoyment of the show. I found her character to be so immensely awful that it brought down the entire show, not to mention Ryūji is boring as fuck holy shit. If it wasn't for Ami I never would have finished it, hell it probably wasn't worth it even for her character.

blurr

No sorry every moment Taiga was on screen negatively impacted my enjoyment of the show. I found her character to be so immensely awful that it brought down the entire show, not to mention Ryūji is boring as fuck holy shit. If it wasn't for Ami I never would have finished it, hell it probably wasn't worth it even for her character.

I felt the same about Kirino from OreImo haha but it had some nice characters too.

who needs a nose, they don't breathe anyways

So I've watched about 20 episodes of Gintama and I feel like it's time to take a break from that and watch something else.

Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

The longer ones are:

Gintama
Lupin III (red/pink)

Advise me, AnimeGAF.

Let's do Mawaru and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Heavy Object ep 15

Thanks for the heads up. I dropped this show but I guess I can watch this one episode!

phaze

Toradora - 01-03

There's a lack of changing visuals up for the (attempted) comedic and over the top behavior, which gives the impression that this stuff is actually seriously taking place like that. And indeed, it's even played straight to some degree, like Taiga being this violent twat. This removes any chance of me identifying this world as properly grounded and empathize with the characters. Would be hard enough to empathize with slapstick Taiga to begin with even if her violent physical outburst were portrayed as something that's not actually happening like that. Instead though, she pokes Riyuuji in the eyes in this episode 3 and he even remarks that his eyes are still sore later on. Like...what?

This is pretty funny cause, my feelings on the matter are basically the inverse. While I enjoy the comedy in Kare Kano the most of all things in that show, having your characters turn into various forms of over the top, absurd parodies and then 5 seconds later, attempting to have some serious drama with them makes for a dissonance that I'm just not quite capable to bridge and deal with.

Taiga's violent tendencies get reduced. Ryujii is pretty bland yeah.

Noses in animation character designs don't have to be realistically detailed, just as the rest of the body in character designs doesn't have to be.

Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

The longer ones are:

Gintama
Lupin III (red/pink)

Advise me, AnimeGAF.

From that list, I'd prioritize Yamato 2199, then Utena.

Hattori

Banned

Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

The longer ones are:

Gintama
Lupin III (red/pink)

Advise me, AnimeGAF.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei gets my vote

Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

The longer ones are:

Gintama
Lupin III (red/pink)

Advise me, AnimeGAF.

Watch Utena.

Dagashi Kashi 03

OP - I like it. Fits the show.

ED - Same.

Anime seems to lean in heavier on the tits then the manga does but thats hardly surprising. One look at Hotaru's character design is enough to tell you that, the manga kinda stops beyond innuendo but its not really enough to drag the show down from its good source material.

This show has great eyecatches. DE!

Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

The longer ones are:

Gintama
Lupin III (red/pink)

Advise me, AnimeGAF.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Clov

For those who are interested in Strawberry Marshmallow's upcoming Blu-Ray from Sentai... the upscale won't look very good. Here's some comparisons someone at Fandom Post did.

The lines in the BD version get a bit smeary, and some shots seem out of focus. It strikes me as though it will be a lot like the BD of Hidamari Sketch S1, where a lot of the long distance shots looks bad, but the closer shots looked fine. I still think I might pick it up, though the upscaling will bug me for sure.

Russ T

Banned
Well seems like if I go by number of votes, it'll be Zetsubou first! I've also got a friend who's been pushing me toward that for a while. I could probably knock it out this weekend if I really wanted to; I ain't got shit planned. EDIT: Okay there're more episodes than I thought. Maybe not quite in just one weekend...

Zetsubou - 3
Mawaru - 2
Utena - 2
Yamato 2199 - 1
LOGH - 1

Hmm...

From that list, I'd prioritize Yamato 2199, then Utena.

You (and a few others) have spoken pretty highly of Yamato 2199 in the past, and that's pretty much why it's even on my list in the first place. But I guess I never asked why! What makes it so good? When I mentioned it to my friend he seemed skeptical of my choice, saying it was decent, but not really all that exceptional.

Noses in animation character designs don't have to be realistically detailed, just as the rest of the body in character designs doesn't have to be.

True, of course. I'm simply annoyed when it looks as ugly as it does in Toradora. There's also the problem that, while they don't need to be realistically drawn, you sometimes get this inherent problem with overly simplified ones. In Toradora this is quite apparent. If the frontal character shots aren't particularly close, it's not much of an issue. When you get very close up though and decide to retain these small, two crude lines it looks terrible. So at this point you have to do something. When drawing relatively realistic noses you'll always have the benefit of reference and shots with characters rotating their heads are less likely to have these poor transitions of noses going from almost nothing to suddenly pointy, somewhat normal looking.

This is pretty funny cause, my feelings on the matter are basically the inverse. While I enjoy the comedy in Kare Kano the most of all things in that show, having your characters turn into various forms of over the top, absurd parodies and then 5 seconds later, attempting to have some serious drama with them makes for a dissonance that I'm just not quite capable to bridge and deal with.

Taiga's violent tendencies get reduced. Ryujii is pretty bland yeah.

Yeh, I realized that as well. I need the art style to go bonkers if the action taking place does so, too. Otherwise I struggle retaining my immersion. It prevents dissonance for me :S

Listen to this wise, wise man.

I'll subscribe to that.

phaze

Small errata to my rec post. SZS's first season is stellar, the latter ones are a mixed big, While they still have some absolutely gold episodes, a lot of the material there was mired in the repetitiveness of the formula that just made it a slog to go through them. So don't feel the need to go through all +40 something episodes.

JulianImp

There is a disturbing lack of Monogatari on this list.

FTFY. Also, where's my Kokoro Connect?

Still, I think LNs are similar to anime in that there's lots and lots of creatively bankrupt "flavor of the month" series, but thanks to the Internet it's now way easier for the west to get access to more varied stuff than before (even though that probably happens a lot less less with LNs compared to anime).

Actually, I guess that applies to all media: there's always hundreds of "follow the leader" rehashes attempting to cash in on what's hot right now (even though they often end up falling flat on their faces due to not fully understanding what made the original tick in the first place), a couple that revive some genre or fad that has been dormant for a while, and finally a rather limited number of works that are more experimental in nature.

So, more things I watched:

Yamato 2199 #5
I liked how the show handled the aftermath of having that girl from accounting fly a spaceship without authorization to save the MC's recon group, mostly with how the guy in command of the fighter squad started opposing her but ended up grinning when he heard the tactical guy had already arranged with the captain for her to become a pilot. We also got some more politics with the communication between the bad guys stationed at Pluto and their ruler, which is always a good thing since there hasn't been all that much going on yet.

KareKano #? (5 or 6, I think)
I guess I'm just not used to this kind of pacing... It definitely looks a bit weird with how often the art style changes between anime, manga and chibi-style characters, especially with how on-screen text shows up quite often. Scenes are often static or with fairly limited animation and music-less, which makes for a strange watching experience. I'll probably keep watching an episode or two at a time every now and then, but it's definitely not the kind of show I'd feel like marathoning through.

I'm still trying to remember where in the world I head the ED before, since I don't remember having watched the show as a kid at all.

Galko #3
Still manages to be an entertaining short show, unlike that crappy Mahou Shoujo nantoka.

You (and a few others) have spoken pretty highly of Yamato 2199 in the past, and that's pretty much why it's even on my list in the first place. But I guess I never asked why! What makes it so good? When I mentioned it to my friend he seemed skeptical of my choice, saying it was decent, but not really all that exceptional.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199's success is mainly due to its director and writer, Yutaka Izubuchi, who is a strongly talented creator. Izubuchi began as a mechanical designer; his most prominent work in that regard is doing designs for Patlabor as part of Headgear. He since branched out into directing and writing; he directed Rahxephon and wrote Skull Man. He had a strong vision for how to remake Yamato, and that vision elevates the entire production. There is very strong visual design throughout, from the Yamato monitors to alien planets. The writing is in the tradition of classic science fiction, in the vein of something like Star Trek: The Original Generation, and in addition to being well structured overall has time for episodic diversions such as an exploration of the nature of androids and robots. Even the enemy side gets fleshed out nicely over the course of the series.

The worst criticism I have for Yamato 2199 is that the CG early on is quite weightless, but that gets better as the series progresses. I really enjoyed the Odyssey of the Celestial Ark film when I saw it recently and am excited to see what Izubuchi will do with the second season.

I'd like to also give a brief comment on Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: it's not bad, and Shaft throws in a lot of gimmicks over the course of the series to try to mix things up, but I felt the formula was getting stale by the end of the first season and so haven't felt motivated to watch beyond that. Also, the production values of the first season are really low. So I wouldn't prioritize that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom