• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Which season was the really abstract one of zetsubou sensei?

Because fuck that season

Define abstract.

Both S2 and S3 had these episodes where they'd go completely bonkers.

Zoku, Zan, + Goku.

Mononoke 10-12 END

Mononoke is an extensively creative and beautiful show, truly one of a kind. It is well crafted in nearly every facet, from visual direction to framing to horror to the use of color, all which serve the show very well. While the individual stories can be confusing and little is ever done explanation wise, neither of these bothered me because of how creative the show was and there is enough there to fill in the blanks for yourself. For me, the Medicine Seller is a Shinigami there to remove the Mononoke, which shouldn't exist in the human world. This is why he goes after the Mononoke that don't even seem evil, and also why he could magically appear in the Showa era in the last arc, 300 years after the setting in the previous arcs.

To classify this as horror wouldn't be incorrect, but it's a type of horror I've never seen before. Horror typically uses drab and dark colors but Mononoke is extensively colorful. It still utilizes all the horror techniques in sound design and framing but in a way I've never seen before. It's not like Kagewani or Yamishibai, it's not like the works of Junji Ito or Kazuo Umezu, it's not like Silent Hill or Fatal Frame. It's inherently unique.

The one problem I have, and this isn't the shows fault, are Crunchyrolls absolutely TERRIBLE subs. I don't know if this is on CR or Toei for providing the subs, but they are hardsubbed, the dialogue runs over other lines (for example if two characters are talking at the same time, instead of showing both lines, the one who talks second will overrun the first line even if the first line is only shown for half a second. That's not even going into typos and grammatical errors. Amateur hour is too kind for these garbage subs and they are by far the worst subs I've ever seen on a professional site.

Mononoke is truly excellent.

I got the impression your favourable impression of it gradually lessened but I'm glad to be wrong. Truly a great show and even holds very well on the rewatches.

This reminds me that I still need to finish Trapeze.

niaoQKF.jpg
rc65Ku9.jpg
I don't know why, but these awful hair blotches never bothered me until this episode, but now I can't unsee them. Why?

JulianImp

Yeah, and i think LN use furigana too.

Yup, but only for some words, and often only the first time said words are written each chapter. That makes LNs a fairly good tool for learning new kanji and then having to remember their readings whenever they appear after that first time.

This talk about LN illustrations reminded me about that one drawing in Nise Random that had Inaba in her (black) underwear... I tend to not care about people watching me as I read LNs, but that particular page was a bit too harenchi for reading in public.

Well you're wrong about the mother and there is a ton of great character writing especially closer to the back-end but certainly evident earlier on.

It's funny you're pointing out the mother as the climax of the show partially revolves around her issues. The final arc is in some ways about the relationship between her and Ryuuji.

Well I've seen the first 3 episodes and there's close to nothing in that regard. Instead we get fanservicy shots with her being half naked, liked the one I posted, no resemblance of an actual adult human being, neither in looks but, more problematic, not in behavior. Again, she's childish and that's the extend of what we see of her. Her sleeping on the living room in the floor is of course implying she isn't a functional adult. It's just not then reflected in her or her son'S character at all, THIS FAR.

Gate Ep 15

I really, really hate split screen shots used for dialogue between two people right next to eachother. They create the setup that would, in theory, allow you to judge the body language of both characters, but due to the inherent way the humans prioritize information it's really hard to naturally focus on the silent character during dialogue and impossible to focus on both. It's not that the shot does nothing - it just does exactly what a medium shot does in this case with the effect of being less aesthetically pleasing. It's less of a modern film technique and closer to the usage of montage in 1930s film - showing two details without any of the inherent ambiguity within the shot.

In my eyes, it's one of the dumbest shots you could ever use for anything. And that's what I spent most of this episode thinking about. That and the terrible discipline within the JSDF.

Jarmel

Banned
Well I've seen the first 3 episodes and there's close to nothing in that regard. Instead we get fanservicy shots with her being half naked, liked the one I posted, no resemblance of an actual adult human being, neither in looks but, more problematic, not in behavior. Again, she's childish and that's the extend of what we see of her. Her sleeping on the living room in the floor is of course implying she isn't a functional adult. It's just not then reflected in her or her son'S character at all, THIS FAR.

Well yes, she's not a functional adult and that's partially why Ryuuji is the way he is. Ryuuji has had to essentially babysit his mother and that's why Ryuuji is so good at domestic activities. He took on the role of the parent and that later ties into the 'playing house' barb that Ami throws into his face. She has her own hangups that the show eventually gets around to as well but that's much later.

One thing the show is very good at, is calling people out.

Fun chart for week 1:

Facebook.com/anitrendz

Anyhow, full list from their Facebook

anitrendz4kidz said:
11. KONO SUBARASHII SEKAI NI SHUKUFUKU WO
12. DIVINE GATE
13. HARUCHIKA
14. DURARARA!!X2 KETSU
15. SHOUWA GENROKU RAKUGO SHINJUU
16. BUBUKI BURANJI
17. AO NO KANATA NO FOUR RHYTHM
18. NIJIIIRO DAYS
19. SEKKOU BOYS
20. SCHWARZESMARKEN
21. SHOJO-TACHI WA KOUYA WO MEZASU
22. LUCK AND LOGIC
23. NORN9: NORN+NONET
24. SAIJAKU MUHAI NO BAHAMUT
25. PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2: THE ANIMATION
26. ACTIVE RAID
27. OJISAN TO MARSHMALLOW
28. OSHIETE! GALKO-CHAN
29. KOUKAKU NO PANDORA
30. REIKENZAN: HOSHIKUZU-TACHI NO UTAGE
31. OOYA-SAN WA SHINSUKI
32. TEEKYUU 7
33. MAHOU SHOUJO NANTE MOU II DESUKARA.
34. NURSE WITCH KOMUGI-CHAN R

Narag

CHART MILESTONE: 'ERASED' has made a spectacular record as it had just won 86% of the total votes tallied for this week - THE GREATEST LANDSLIDE AND OVERWHELMING MAJORITY VICTORY in a week ever in the history of AT Charts! It has also recorded the largest margin of votes in a week, over the second-placer GATE, which only garnered 43% of the votes this week.

And after a 1-year drought, A1 Pictures is definitely back on the pinnacle of AT Charts as it is the first animation studio ever to simultaneously have 2 anime occupy the Top 2 spots and also the first one ever to have 3 anime on the Top 5. A1 Pictures already has 2 AOTS titles on its belt namely; Aldnoah.Zero and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

Do you think ERASED has already sealed the AOTS Title this season given the overwhelming majority win this week? Can it make a sweep this season? We will find out in the coming weeks!!

~Deiru-kun (Head Admin)

this reads like old ioi posts lol

JulianImp

If I had to group this season's shows up in rought categories, I'd probably go for:
  • Really good: ERASED, Rakugo
  • Good: Gundam: IBO, Dimension W, KonoSuba
  • Okay: Phantom World, Durarara (I'm only still watching this out of a sense of duty now)
  • Meh: Active Raid
  • B is for bad, but also for: BBK/BRNK

And as for miniseries:
  • Fun: Galko, Marshmallow Ojisan, Sekkou Boys
  • Not fun: Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara

If I had to group this season's shows up in rought categories, I'd probably go for:
  • Really good: ERASED, Rakugo
  • Good: Gundam: IBO, Dimension W, KonoSuba
  • Okay: Phantom World, Durarara (I'm only still watching this out of a sense of duty now)
  • Meh: Active Raid
  • B is for bad, but also for: BBK/BRNK

And as for miniseries:
  • Fun: Galko, Marshmallow Ojisan, Sekkou Boys
  • Not fun: Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara

I dont see Bubuki Buranki!

phaze

F
KareKano #? (5 or 6, I think)
I guess I'm just not used to this kind of pacing... It definitely looks a bit weird with how often the art style changes between anime, manga and chibi-style characters, especially with how on-screen text shows up quite often. Scenes are often static or with fairly limited animation and music-less, which makes for a strange watching experience. I'll probably keep watching an episode or two at a time every now and then, but it's definitely not the kind of show I'd feel like marathoning through.

I'm still trying to remember where in the world I head the ED before, since I don't remember having watched the show as a kid at all.
@bolded. Round these parts, there was this really long sequence that was just using barebones manga panels.
Kare Kano up to 7

- I'm glad there is a new addition to the cast, even if I'm not yet sold on this new arrival just yet. Having just 2 characters for most of the time started being suffocating. It also brought up the number of discernible characters in the school to the shocking number of 3. Making said school feel slightly less like a theatrical stage for the main duo and more like a real place. I'm skipping the OP so far but I gleamed quite a few characters in there that I haven't seen yet. Hope they'll make an appearance sooner or later.

- I'm not that big on the "show don't tell" maxim but this show has characters constantly pouring out their very soul to me in 5 minute long internal monologues. Stahhhhp.

- As I said, there remains for me the disconnect between the extreme comedy and the more serious parts but there was nothing as bad as episode 3. (Well there was that one bizarre instance of Miyazawa crying just cause she doesn't have time to be with Arima, )

After the above litany of gripes, I'll just say that I'm still enjoying the show for the most part. The comedy in particular is pretty good and even its duds are inoffensive. Not that I've watched many romantic comedies but the angle of an already functioning couple is still pretty refreshing. Let's hope that Tatami Galaxy's "There is nothing more boring than a successful love story" won't ring true here. And there won't be any silly drama to spice things up at the same time. I feared that the grades thing will go that path but that was thankfully avoided. (Having an intervention and your parents called just because your grades fell a tiny bit ? Japanese schools are a fucking hell itself.)

Ascheroth

Heavy Object - 15

I loled at the 'trade' and 'raid' at the beginning. How unlucky can Havia and Qwenthur get?
The mission itself was again fun, this time Princess vs. Ohoho, and Qwenthur practicing his Object-climbing skills. Did not expect the 'twist' at the end.

Also that mysterious engineer sure is mysterious. I wonder if we will meet him sometime. It seems that Havia knows who he is. Hmmmmmm.

Sekkou Boys - 03

I kinda feel like the novelty of having an anime about stone statue idols is wearing off for me. I did chuckle at the end, but it's kinda meh overall.

A1 Pictures already has 2 AOTS titles on its belt namely; Aldnoah.Zero and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.
Riiiiight.

hmm...

Amazing: Erased
Really good: Haikyuu!! S2, Gundam IBO
Good: Dimension W, Rakugo, GATE, Koyomonogatari
Fun distractions: Phantom World, Grimgar, Shirayuki

GATE 15

Really good episode. I had my doubts about the elf girl,
I thought she was actually seeing her dad's spirit or something like that all this time. Guess she really was not all there.
Itami gives no fucks about the military's agenda and goes on another adventure. Seems more in line with Season 1 on paper, but the tone has definitely shifted to a darker place. I like it.

Boy is Duckroll going to be disappointed when going going through Garo: Crimson Moon.

I think he already said he wasn't going to do it, and he shouldn't.

I will carry this burden.

Also guys, look at the heroes of Divine Gate.
The guy towards the middle, the one who won't eat hot food because his abusive parents never gave him anything hot to eat, is the main character.

Don't you want to get to know these kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom