• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassination Classroom S2 Episode 3
download.png

Good show continues to be good. Itona should make a fun addition to the class.
Humor was a bit off this episode though.

duckroll

Erased - Episode 3

The episode looked great and had some really exciting camera work at the key scenes. It helps add a visual flair to relatively mundane stuff which don't really have much to do with the story. What I find a bit odd though, is how uncharacteristic Satoru is acting. He's starting to openly butt into everything and if this isn't the sort of person he was back then, it would be really noticeable. I wonder if this is going to come up again, since Kenya already noticed last week.

Can't say I really care for how cartoonishly evil Kayo's mom and her boyfriend (?) are being portrayed, or how super suspicious the teacher is acting. There are two scenes which were just a bit too over the top for me - when Kayo's mom looks down on her in the shed and we can see RED EYES, and the final scene in the staff room with the OMINOUS music. Really uncalled for. Lol.

Quasar

MAL continues to be useless for judging the quality of shows.

I go by far more scientific reasoning when judging a show.

Like my heart.

I found it useful enough in terms of finding shows similar to a thing I liked. For the most part in genres I like, most of the highly rated shows on mal I tend to find at least ok. Not that I'd give them the same score..after all like videogames, anime suffers from the 7-10 scale.

Erased - Episode 3

The episode looked great and had some really exciting camera work at the key scenes. It helps add a visual flair to relatively mundane stuff which don't really have much to do with the story. What I find a bit odd though, is how uncharacteristic Satoru is acting. He's starting to openly butt into everything and if this isn't the sort of person he was back then, it would be really noticeable. I wonder if this is going to come up again, since Kenya already noticed last week.

Can't say I really care for how cartoonishly evil Kayo's mom and her boyfriend (?) are being portrayed, or how super suspicious the teacher is acting. There are two scenes which were just a bit too over the top for me - when Kayo's mom looks down on her in the shed and we can see RED EYES, and the final scene in the staff room with the OMINOUS music. Really uncalled for. Lol.

?

I thought the first time around his issue was that he was acting introverted. Aka quiet, way too laid back, and just followed whatever the group said without sticking out.

We had that whole flashback of him talking with whats his face, recommending him to be more extroverted and talkative to be popular.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Erased 03
For people obsessing over red eyes in this:
There's more to it than the killer just having red eyes. Directional move to highlight certain scenes and create tension I guess.

I also saw some controversy over the importance of the main mystery, and I still feel like it completely reframes how both the viewer and Satoru approach new pieces of information. In a way it's sort of manipulative, but when small details become clues there's a demand for both the viewer and Satoru to ask more questions.

I actually cannot believe how phenomenal the writing is here, and I do feel like it adheres to certain principles expected of a mystery without being as constrained or technical in its approach to being a mystery. Every scene here is this cascading web that connects to one or more events that follow. The repercussions of the race lead to the strain between Hinazuki and Satoru, which leaves her missing in the park, creating a need for Satoru to sneak into the teachers office for that dialogue, and then Hinazuki is missing in the park because she's still mad so we're introduced to Jun.

It's kind of pointless to keep going but everything is pieced together in the right way, and for as blunt as the show can be at times there are subtleties found inside this cascade. The incident on the ice skating rink is the tipping point for another girl to lash out at Hinazuki and frame her for stealing the lunch money, but these lines aren't directly drawn or really even stated.

Saprol

Gintama 138

I should have seen the Ikezawa fake-out coming; I didn't though and it killed me.

Gintama 139

Back when I started watching, I was wondering how long it would be until I saw that girl that was in firehawk's old avatar. Got my answer way too late. :(

duckroll

Erased 03
For people obsessing over red eyes in this:

There's more to it than the killer just having red eyes. Directional move to highlight certain scenes and create tension I guess.

Yeah I think it's either misdirection or a really lame visual motif for "suspicious people". I don't like it, lol.

ERASED episode 2

Now, you can tell this is in the past, because actual videogames are still kind of popular with the kids.

Dumb jokes aside, this show knows how to connect scenes, giving them just enough time to breath and connect with the viewer. No scene feels wasted. They all feel like they're there to give the characters a sense of weight and purpose. I like how the world doesn't slow down for the main character, it keeps on moving, regardless of how calm or panicked he is.

I don't like Kenya though. No 6th grader is that perceptive.

ERASED Episode 3
Okay couple things here.
You fuck off with that shit little girl.

I hope the series returns to these two, because I feel like just portraying them as people who like to abuse their daughter is pretty weak to me. Most people who abuse or neglect their kids don't do it because they're evil or malicious, but because they don't know how to be parents.
After painting our hero's anxiety so well, I want this show to give us reasons why these two are like this.
Dis scene got to me. ;_;

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi 3
The teacher always being kept in a shadow...
I think the director really want us to be suspicious of him.
Great episode. Hinazuki parent is scumbag

Mailbox

I don't think that the red eyes are necessarily about red herrings or suspicious people, but rather to give the audience the visual representation of characteristics that Satoru finds deal with the "case" as it were.

Red eyes seem to represent cues and links in a way. Moments that allow for further understanding and speculation for the audience rather than villainy status.

either that, or Kenya having red eyes in episode 2 is an outlier in the "suspicious people" idea...
Maybe i'm reading too much into it.

CYs_fNLWAAACJil.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
BBK/BRNK 01
This is like...anti-art I guess? No expression or emotion coming through the characters. Decent shot composure/framing/whatever but the characters also move all wonky too. Maybe have some reveal that everyone is robots or something.

I don't think that the red eyes are necessarily about red herrings or suspicious people, but rather to give the audience the visual representation of characteristics that Satoru finds deal with the "case" as it were.

Red eyes seem to represent cues and links in a way. Moments that allow for further understanding and speculation for the audience rather than villainy status.

either that, or Kenya having red eyes in episode 2 is an outlier in the "suspicious people" idea...
Maybe i'm reading too much into it.

CYs_fNLWAAACJil.png

Kenya is not really a good counter example as he is suspicious.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phantasy Star Online 2 03

Is it good yet? Not really.
At least there was more in game action this time, although most of it was limited to the ship lobby.

Characters keep acting weird and very unrealistic - I've met quite a few online trolls and the one presented here honestly looks like a parody.

While the anime is currently a disappointment (I don't know what I expected after Ragnarok The Animation), I'm still kind of excited to see where they take things next week, where the supposed connection between the game and the anime is supposed to start.

Mailbox

Kenya is not really a good counter example as he is suspicious.

At that point in episode 2 he was only suspicious in that he seemed like he knew more than he was letting on. Every other red eyes character had them in connection with the murder in some way, but Kenya's red eyes are only as a result of Satoru panicking that he isn't convincing enough. He wasn't as suspicious as he is now.

Isn't Kenya one of the mugshot characters in the OP?

to be fair, Hinazuki's dad (or mom) aren't in those mugshots and they still had red eyes.

I'm just saying that at the point where he gets the red eyes, it doesn't line up with when other characters get them.

Maybe you guys are right and i'm just being all tired and dumb because its midnight here.

pbayne

ERASED episode 2

I don't like Kenya though. No 6th grader is that perceptive.

Yep if there's one thing id nitpick with the show itd be that too. You have to suspend your disbelief somewhat that he and Hinazuka would talk or act the way they do for their age regardless of how smart they are or how they were raised.

Or the teacher giving Satarou all that info on Hinazuki's homelife. That dude would get sacked for that. It was a real "we have to give the MC this info somehow" moment even if it kind of doesn't make sense.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (HakoMari) - Light Novel

129611l.jpg

This is a light novel. Not an anime. But I had such conflicting thoughts on the series that I felt like I needed to write them down somewhere.

The 7-part series begins with Kazuki Hoshino, a boy who is almost madly attached to his everyday life, and his antagonist Aya Otonashi, who suddenly transfers into his class—for the 13,118th time. She announces that she will "break" him, not caring about the way other students might perceive her actions. On the face of things, the book has some very obvious ways it can end and how that might happen. Any guess you could make about how the story ends up will fail to take into account how sinister the story really is.

HakoMari represents the absolute best and worst of literature. Reading it requires that you force yourself to be driven back and forth between despair, anger, resignation, and, at times, happiness. If you decide to read this for some reason, finish it. Not that you'll have much of a choice after starting it. The beginning and end of HakoMari represents some of the greatest storytelling ever. It's unfortunate that numerous logical flaws in books 3-5 sap some of the enjoyment out, not to mention that they ultimately don't really matter to the story other than adding space and time between the beginning and ending of the series. The ending, of course, being absolutely... there aren't really words to say what the ending is. Perfect, is close.

I kind of want to write more, but it's 5AM, people probably don't really care about an LN in the anime thread, and I'm not really sure what to write that wouldn't damage the experience of the novels. Without a doubt, they're unlike any other books I've read - that in mind, it's hard to rate them. The series as a whole is probably a perfect 10 for 10. Books 1/2 and 6/7 perfectly representing this. The slog through books 3-5 was awful - not because they were particularly bad (well, at times the logical flaws in this section became really ridiculous - I had to stop more than a few times to vent at how dumb some of the situations were) but that you know where you're going at this point and it's hard to enjoy the ride there.

If you like reading things, read them. Only light novel I will ever in the same league as traditional literature.. most likely.

The last scene with the fox and whatnot legit made me choke up. So fucking beautiful and innocent, specially all the rough stuff we watched up to that point.

Just T

Grimgar: 2

Really good episode. The first half with the action once again showed just how inexperienced they are with the missed attacks and the panicking, could tell how stressed they were in that situation. Also it’s not often a monster like that is a bit humanized in a way in these Fantasy shows. They exhibited well just how hard it was willing to fight and the desire it had to keep surviving. It was a very brutal scene and seems to have affected all of them, especially Ranta who also needs to stop that yelling before attacking.

I also enjoyed the second half when things calmed down a little bit. I wasn’t expecting a montage like that so soon but I thought it showed off the daily life pretty well. Also the carving of the airplane, I like the little hints they display of subconsciously remembering where they came from and I’m really interested in knowing how they got there. Seems like there is some hint of romance too but can’t say I’m too interested in that here.

Koyomimonogatari: 2

Staple Staple is one of my favorite Monogatari openings, nice to see it again. Nice story though and a Senjougahara appearance and an absent Hanekawa is also a plus.

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen: 15

Well that was just brutal; the Yamato got all sorts of tricks up their sleeves. Didn’t like the repeating scenes from different angles, first one was meh should of left it at that.

Cornbread78

The last scene with the fox and whatnot legit made me choke up. So fucking beautiful and innocent, specially all the rough stuff we watched up to that point.

Yeah, the whole Christmas tree part was a great peaceful moment! It reminds me of the scene in The Last of Us when they stop and see the giraffes. It felt like a frozen moment of serenity when there is nothing but stress and hell around her specifically. Also, it felt like the calm before the storm. It's coming....

Yeah, the whole Christmas tree part was a great peaceful moment! It reminds me of the scene in The Last of Us when they stop and see the giraffes. It felt like a frozen moment of serenity when there is nothing but stress and he'll around her specifically. Also, it felt like the calm before the storm. It's coming....

I was about to say, yeah. Shit's gonna hit the fan real soon. I can feel it.

duckroll

Kayo doesn't really look human in that gif. Something about the way it is drawn looks more like a wolf or something. Reminds me of Yuki from Wolf Children... ^^;

fertygo

Yep if there's one thing id nitpick with the show itd be that too. You have to suspend your disbelief somewhat that he and Hinazuka would talk or act the way they do for their age regardless of how smart they are or how they were raised.

Or the teacher giving Satarou all that info on Hinazuki's homelife. That dude would get sacked for that. It was a real "we have to give the MC this info somehow" moment even if it kind of doesn't make sense.
I'm pretty confident no grade school teacheŕ would fired telling shit to student, I remember my teacher back then randomly tell me one of parent is ex drug usèr, what a random shit that was that why I stilĺ remember it.

Just T

Bubuki Buranki: 2

This was alright, still has my interest. The opening is straight; they can keep that ending though. After spending a bit more time with the characters I like Azuma, Kogane is okay too, Shizuru is just there and Kinoa is kinda annoying. Hiiragi on the other hand is almost unbearable with that attitude and the entitlement. It gives him a lot of room to grow though and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later. The action wasn’t bad, though I’m not the biggest mecha fan. Convenient how they all form the complete Oubu but the teamwork aspect should be interesting and I guess the actual skeleton of Oubu can disappear too, idk. Reoko and her cliché laugh is an intriguing villain so far, wonder what’s up with her aging. And still wondering what happened to the rest of Azuma’s family too.

Clov

Perfect Insider 1

I'd like to see the version of this show directed by a different Mamoru.

You want this to be done by Hosoda? I don't really think filling the show with animal-people is necessary.

Now you've made me want an Oshii version of the show. I really do wish he would make some more anime at some point. He's been busy with live action film, but I've never enjoyed his live action work as much.

The material doesn't exist for it. Top candidate for more would be the spin-off manga that follows around Sakurako.

I'd definitely watch an anime revolving around Sakurako. She was my second favorite character in the show, after Kyouko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom