• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

So I didn't continue Bubuki Buranki after the first episode, because it sounds like the second episode is awful.

That said, why is this helmet?
iQ05QfB.png

Why is it?

I like the unsettling vibe it gives off. Like someone with their eyes held open, nose cut off, and lips removed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Haikyuu!! S2 16
Really starting to fall off the horse again. Didn't finish the first season, and while this has been a massive improvement in a lot of ways this show really doesn't ever feel like it delivers a satisfying payoff that justifies its length. Everything becomes a slog, and all these road bumps along the journey just give me a headache without ever feeling very intimidating. This is maybe the worst part of the cycle, where the enemy team doesn't really feel like they matter, and this is like the third time in a row the show's left me feeling this way.

This show doesn't really have any goals other than the success of its heroes on the court, and the fade to black between matches to push things forward a day was a harsh reminder of the limited perspective offered into the characters.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I dunno.
Even knowing the candy I don't think it is very funny at all.
I'm not really sure why the show is seemingly so popular. Character designs?

Character design, and i like the joke and candies tivia <_<

Maybe the manga is better and people are just watching out of loyalty to that? At least, the manga seems fairly popular around here.

Yeah, manga has better pace, but this is not a bad adaptation by any mean. I appreciate that they add extra scene and make the cast more involved than the manga.

Brave Beats Episode 13

Today was the Funky Chicken dance, lol.

OP added nice scenes, guess were in for emotional Maito sometime, in which his mystery can finally be revealed.
tumblr_o1fnasafYK1qbxqfpo3_540.png
tumblr_o1fnasafYK1qbxqfpo2_540.png

And trading off for Flash Beat dancing, got everyone dancing. I liked it.
tumblr_o1fnrdPKY81qbxqfpo3_540.png
tumblr_o1fnrdPKY81qbxqfpo4_540.png

Narag

Show by Rock!! 10

Literally using ChuChu's words against her in the breaking scene was pretty great. I know I didn't care for the drama at the midpoint but this felt a lot better given ChuChu's internal crisis. I did expect things to be a little more drawn out than what they were but you can't win them all.

Working!!! 1

Still the same sitcom goodness I liked from last season. This episode did a good job of balancing all the characters; I enjoy when a TV show or film deftly handles multiple simultaneous subplots.

Garo the Animation 19

Duckroll was right! That was a really rad Horror fight; it felt like a really climactic boss battle. Of course, having the powerful backstory to give meaning to the encounter made the whole thing more impactful. Excellent episode.

Garo the Animation 20

Who needs Death Note when you've got this? Michio Mihara's storyboard still had some problems, though it was better than last time, but it didn't really get in the way of the thrilling mind game story being told here. Octavia is one smart cookie.

Mendoza is looking rather the worse for wear. Hope we find out next episode if German has any ulterior motives for agreeing to help him.

Shingancrimsonz gifs needs to be posted.

I wish the music in SBR was a bit better, only the theme song, Shingancrimsonz songs and plasmagica got good songs. I guess Trichronika had decent songs.

John Blade

This movie have so many issue I don't know where to started to tell the truth as few area is in a mess mostly in how they're trying to tell the story.

The plot of the movie isn't special to discuss. The story take place when Ichiro Oogami transferred from the Flower Division to go to Paris, leaving the ladies to surviving on their own while protecting the capital city. As you process during the movie, a new threat have form from a foreign country and the Flower Division have to stop the new enemies with the help of a new female character, Ratchet Altair. Like I say, nothing special to discuss but if they is one good gems is the final scene when Ratchet Altair and Sakura Shinguji performance in the play. It might be one of the better scene and something you will remember a bit in the entire movie.

The pacing of telling the story is a mess in some area of the movie. This can range of not setting up the scene to inform the audience of what is happening so you will get confuse of what is happening or how the character was there in one place to another. They is few I can think of which jump from one scene to another without setting it up a bit.

Animation for the most part look nice and beautiful in some scene. You notice this on character animation and also background scene. For the CG animation part of the movie, it look very bad and feel the odd duck of the movie. It's mostly use in the battle scene with the mech. The final fight against the boss is where you see how bad it look.

Characters are the same here a bit generic and not much new development with them. The introduction of the new character in the Flower Division is interesting but nothing much have develop her at all in the movie. I guess this might have done in the games but as someone who never touch the game at all, it make the character very two dimensional with little emotional to discuss. Better play the games to get a good idea of all the characters as this movie won't say anything.

The fight scene for the most part is okay but it isn't special to discuss. Yes, the introduction of the big battle scene look okay but it went down hill a bit to the point you know what is going to happen.

Overall, this movie is giving me a mix message. I kinda want to like this movie and they is certain area in the movie where they I like but with so many issue I have as I watch the movie, I don't feel like it's worth the time to watch it. If you're a fans of the games, I guess this is just another thing to watch but for everyone else, it might be better if you don't watch the movie as nothing really important happen in this movie and in a way, you're not missing much. Kinda funny how they advertise this movie as the 1st Blu-ray from the franchise to come into North America. Kinda sad, as it might leave you disappointed after you're done.

Narag

Show by Rock!! 12 FIN

Never going to be a fan of the middle of the show drama but everything else worked out well. I was pleased the final conflict felt appropriately "final boss"-ish. Good show in the end that actually makes good use of a larger cast, CG that's a pleasure to watch, and it isn't afraid to be a cartoon when it's needed most. Ready for S2!

Jaxec

KONOSUBA Episode 1

Everything was ass shots.

Surprisingly that disappears in the second episode.

Black Lagoon 1-24

I really liked this. Revy and the whole cast were badass, especially Dutch and Rock. Balalaika was a beast. Favorite arc was definitely Ganster Paradise.

Roberta's Blood Trail 1

Actually this will probably end up being my favorite arc. Fabiola a beast.

tumblr_nbesjnxBCw1tk7s5qo1_400.gif

No lie a Shingancrimsonz spinoff would be great

I was saying this to Narag on Twitter, but I don't think such a spinoff would work, at least if it was exclusively focused on them. Their characters are a bit gimmicky, except partially for Rom, so moving them from side to main characters would be a problem unless they got fleshed out a lot more.

Or it was some comedic shorts. That'd probably work.

Cornbread78

Discussion of ass shots, Cross Ange watch bets and Strike Witches watch bets. Yup, just another weekend with AnimeGAF.

Oh and CG glitter girls dancing gif.

Fafner: Right of Left OVA

Starting my rewatch, chronological instead of production order this time. Seeing it like this actually makes me wonder if this isn't the better order to watch this. There are a ton of small references that would be hard to notice, but then again, the OVA covers a lot of important explanations that either come late or not at all. Added relevance to some characters that die off early is a plus as well. But I guess a lot of stuff loses impact if its seen out of production order.

Anyway, just as tragic as I remember. Even knowing the forgone conclusion of "prequel made after that involves a secret mission with characters not mentioned in the original", still does well enough at making me care about most of the cast involved. Moreso with how Exodus gave relevance to a nameless and voiceless background character. Even the graffiti scene, despite being a bit too upfront about it all, fit nicely into the insert song sequence. And then the marine snow scene at the end as well. I'm liking this a lot more this time around, but that just might be due to personal bias.

I will never get used to the Titan model Fafners though. Even given the unorthodox proportions on a normal Fafner, these ones just look way weirder.

Surprisingly that disappears in the second episode.

Black Lagoon 1-24

I really liked this. Revy and the whole cast were badass, especially Dutch and Rock. Balalaika was a beast. Favorite arc was definitely Ganster Paradise.

Roberta's Blood Trail 1

Actually this will probably end up being my favorite arc. Fabiola a beast.

Black Lagoon is fantastic. The box set is pretty sweet as well.

Today I saw a gif of myself posted somewhere. It was a strange feeling.

Garo the Animation 21

Mmm, this CG is top-class. Really expressive, with great motion and shading. Great fight too. The way this show has integrated backstory into its episodes has been great; it helps flesh out the characters in a natural way, without having stuff just shouted at us as lesser anime tend to do.

I must have a bad memory, but what is the significance of this? I don't immediately recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom