• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's Jiruba, German's Mado Tool. Basically his version of Zaruba.

She's quiet in comparison to Zaruba.

Remember when Germain talked to his tool a few episodes back, and said he had something for her to do?

Oh right. The show doesn't make a big deal out of that; before she talked I never even really thought about the fact that of course German would have his own Tool. I do like that the show trusts viewers enough to put two and two together.

The saddest part to all this is that One Piece turned for the worst after the timeskip.

It especially shat on Sanji's character.

One Piece will only be great again once Ace comes back.

Sabo was a step in the right direction.

Sadly Ive only been reading Luffy, Sabo, or Zoro, manga panels so the anime for this upcoming arc will be a new experience for me.

TUSR

Banned
Dagashi Kashi 3
OyTXewS.jpg
Much better than the last two episodes.

Hattori

Banned
[Mobile Suit Gundam] - 8

I'm glad that this show portrays that there are good people on both sides.

[Mobile Suit Gundam] - 9

Amuro continues to be a whiny unlikable baby catching feelings about everything he does.

[Mobile Suit Gundam] - 10

Poor Garma. At least he went down fighting until the end.

Bebpo

Banned
What are some really stylish (and yet also good) shows from the last couple of years? Feels like all the good shows people recommend these last bunch of years have been fairly plain on the style.

Looking for stuff like Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy, Gankutsuo, etc...

Narag

What are some really stylish (and yet also good) shows from the last couple of years? Feels like all the good shows people recommend these last bunch of years have been fairly plain on the style.

Ping Pong

Ping Pong for sure. Space Dandy also has great stylistic variety.

So you're looking for visually striking productions? I'll recommend some films and shorts as well, if you don't mind.

20 Minutes Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station
Asura
Blue Exorcist: The Movie
Bubu and Bubulina
Concrete Revolutio (cannot completely vouch for this, but it certainly has a unique visual style)
Diary of Ochibi
Eccentric Family
Endless Night
Erased
Flowers of Evil
From the New World
Garo the Animation
Giovanni's Island
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Kagewani
Kanon (the Animator Expo short by Maeda)
Kyousougiga
Meganebu
Noragami
Osomatsu-san
Parol's Future Island
Ping Pong
Rozen Maiden 2013
Saint Young Men
Space Dandy
Tale of Princess Kaguya

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think the direction is unique but the designs certainly aren't. They're generic modern shoujo designs, all lanky and big eyes and voluminous J-pop hair.

duckroll

The designs are kinda whatever, but the actual art style in the show, especially when certain episode directors uses it well, is pretty unique. Very flat compared to most anime.

Droplet

I'm going to be a broken record here and say Tsuritama since everything else I can think of has been mentioned. Is Wandering Son from a couple years ago? That watercolor style was nice.

From the New World has a pretty unique style. Especially the direction.

The really bright and saturated colors during some of the action scenes suited it really well. Also the ending/folk story scenes had that bright brushwork style that was pretty different.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm going to be a broken record here and say Tsuritama since everything else I can think of has been mentioned. Is Wandering Son from a couple years ago? That watercolor style was nice.

Yeah, Tsuritama was one of the last shows I watched and was really nice to look at. Wandering Son was great and right up my alley too. Watching Ping Pong now.

Any other shows you'd highly recommend since stuff like Tsuritama/Wandering Son is exactly what I'm looking for.

Sterok

Komugi R 3

Taukasa isn't as crazy as Kokona, but she's still enjoyable. Komugi keeps getting killed in weird ways, though at least she didn't lose her spot this time. CG seemed to be improved this time.

God Eater

This Boy Can Fight Aliens (30 min)
This Boy Caught a Merman (30 min)
Robotica*Robotics (<30min)

Meganebu

mAcOdIn

Wasn't there some hentai where a dude rapes serial killers to get revenge on them or something?
I dunno. I mean, regardless, would we call that guy a good guy? There's a difference between being the protagonist of a story and being a good guy I think. I don't know if I want to live in a world where someone can refer to a rapist as one of the good guys.

Clov

I've seen most of what Hosanna's posted in their list, and the ones I've seen have been great. I'd like to add a few myself:

Atama Yama (short film)
Cat Soup (OVA)
Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor (short film)
Gosenzosama Banbanzai (6 episode OVA)
Kaiba
Kick-Heart (short film)
Muybridge's Strings (short film)
Redline (film)
Tekkonkinkreet (film)
Trapeze

Peco

Yeah, Tsuritama was one of the last shows I watched and was really nice to look at. Wandering Son was great and right up my alley too. Watching Ping Pong now.

Any other shows you'd highly recommend since stuff like Tsuritama/Wandering Son is exactly what I'm looking for.

Watch those Studio Colorido shorts/ovas, they are really pretty.

I dunno. I mean, regardless, would we call that guy a good guy? There's a difference between being the protagonist of a story and being a good guy I think. I don't know if I want to live in a world where someone can refer to a rapist as one of the good guys.

Are you asking if a rapist can be portrayed sympathetically and also be on the "good guy" side?

There's actually a character in Mahou Shoujo of the End that's kind of a rapist, but he's a "good guy" and also the fan favorite. I've seen a lot of people get super conflicted over the guy because he's a really likable character, yet was introduced in a pretty rapey way.

mAcOdIn

Are you asking if a rapist can be portrayed sympathetically and also be on the "good guy" side?
Not really, from a story perspective that's somewhat easy to do since stories are a bit more reductive than real life. No different than how many people in the US view the founding fathers highly despite them being slavers and shit. So how a story portrays someone is one thing, what gets me is how another person would then portray that character to another person. I can't imagine a scenario where someone would say a woman gets raped by one of the good guys that isn't sarcastic.

I guess how I feel about it is, if you're a rapist you can't, by definition, be a good guy but you can be on the side of the good guys.
There's actually a character in Mahou Shoujo of the End that's kind of a rapist, but he's a "good guy" and also the fan favorite. I've seen a lot of people get super conflicted over the guy because he's a really likable character, yet was introduced in a pretty rapey way.
I don't even understand, "kind of a rapist," "introduced in a rapey way?" What even leads to such a weird place? Demonic possession? Some kind of weird roleplay gone wrong?

wonzo

Banned

facepalm.gif

So everyone over on the Toonami side is watching filler Naruto.

Early filler Naruto.

If hell was a place, this would be how I imagine it.

wonzo

Banned
Akuta Rintaro was a police officer before the magical girl attack. His sanity had slipped by the time he meets the survivors from the high school, who sought refuge in the mall where he was apparently working. At first he behaves like a complete cretin, becoming sexually aroused and taking his genitalia out at the sight of two dead, under dressed girls and intending to rape Yoruka and Tsukune. He is knocked out by Ren and handcuffed to a fixed structure for safe keeping. When Parasite M begins her rampage, however, he is released and ends up being the one to finally kill her by squashing her between his hands like a mosquito. Since then Akuta has proven to be well-adapted to his new environment and somewhat useful, being the first to figure out that humans could use the magical girl's wands as well. At the medical center, he loses his right arm by way of Explode M.

He has nicknamed Yoruka "titty-chan" ("Lil' Miss Funbags" in the English translation) due to her large breasts. Although he appears to have developed legitimate feelings for her, his main interest remains to be her chest.

"good guy" "kind of a rapist" "fan favourite"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom