• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Drrr2x Ketsu 3
Wew, 3 eps, and it all still a set up.
The saikas gathering
Chikage meeting yellow scarves
Izaya being Izaya
And Kadota hit and run perpetrator.

Dagashi Kashi 3 (am i doing the anime bolding thing right)

This was sort of make or break for me since I enjoyed the last two episodes, but was worried it wasn't going to be able to hold my attention with the same minor gimmicks (e.g surreal snack fixation, gothy girl what eats them snacks) for more than that. However, this episode really punched up the pacing and felt much more like a sketch comedy should. The animation was good. The gags were funny. I haven't read the manga, so I was initially prepared to roll eyes at already getting into a pool/beach episode situation - but the payoff ended up being hilarious.

The second half of the episode is my favorite thing that's been in the show so far though. It was like an anime version of a Peep Show gag or something. The way Hotaru is so genuinely excited about the most mundane stuff makes for some great comedy when she seems so stoked about explaining how there's nothing meaningful at all about the name of the candy they're talking about.

It's a dumb show, but it seems very self-aware and that's charming.

Droplet

Animegaf = a super welcoming place for women!

Yeah, Tsuritama was one of the last shows I watched and was really nice to look at. Wandering Son was great and right up my alley too. Watching Ping Pong now.

Any other shows you'd highly recommend since stuff like Tsuritama/Wandering Son is exactly what I'm looking for.

Hmm, I'm not very good about remembering when things came out so they might be a little off in terms of years, but maybe Kyousougiga, Gatchaman Crowds, or House of Five Leaves?

20131116-kyousougiga05-11.jpg

gatchaman-05-4.png

hfl-02-12.png

Just from some cursory googling I guess.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1

Holy shit that was fucking exceptional.

I had no idea what to expect but I'm in love. The performance in the middle was absolutely hilarious. I completely lost my shit at "3 wives and 1 hungry kid". The VAs are really talented as well, having to take on so many roles.

Great comedy with some real heartfelt moments. 47 minute episode one was a pleasant surprise and I cant wait to see how it progresses. I absolutely loved Chihayafuru without knowing a thing about Karuta and it looks like this will have a similar effect with Rakugo instead.

DiGiKerot

Speaking of Nurse Witch Komugi, has anyone seen The Soultaker: Tamashii Gari? She's apparently originally from that and then KyoAni + Tatusunoko made the Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Magikarte OVAs which ended up spawning the newest series.

The Soultaker was a somewhat surrealist super-hero show directed Akiyuki Shinbo before he took up permanent residence at Shaft. It's a pretty insane, but often pretty spectacular, looking show even by Shinbo standards, and has an equally weird sense of narrative, and arguably an even weirder sense of humour. It also has a pretty baller JAM Project opening. I love the show personally, but even at the time, it was pretty divisive.

Komugi was kinda the villain-turned-heroes-mascot character in The Soultaker - she was a member of an organisation of super-powered mutants called The Hospital and fought used surgical syringes attached to chains. Nurse Witch Komugi actually came from the series of Komugi-centric DVD gag extras that were coupled with the japanese release of Soultaker - they did a fake OP sequence for a magical girl show starring Komugi for one of the volumes, and eventually span that off into it's own series.

TUSR

Banned
Gate

tried watching but it didn't stick. So I watched all of Rory's scenes and it was alright.

Yuru Yuri

OP2 isn't anywhere as good as OP1.

iDOLM@STER CG 16-18

episode 17 was especially good.
there was a knock off Miki in one of the episodes that could have been her little sister.

Line_HTX

Dagashi Kashi 3 (am i doing the anime bolding thing right)

This was sort of make or break for me since I enjoyed the last two episodes, but was worried it wasn't going to be able to hold my attention with the same minor gimmicks (e.g surreal snack fixation, gothy girl what eats them snacks) for more than that. However, this episode really punched up the pacing and felt much more like a sketch comedy should. The animation was good. The gags were funny. I haven't read the manga, so I was initially prepared to roll eyes at already getting into a pool/beach episode situation - but the payoff ended up being hilarious.

The second half of the episode is my favorite thing that's been in the show so far though. It was like an anime version of a Peep Show gag or something. The way Hotaru is so genuinely excited about the most mundane stuff makes for some great comedy when she seems so stoked about explaining how there's nothing meaningful at all about the name of the candy they're talking about.

It's a dumb show, but it seems very self-aware and that's charming.

I have to ask, do you think the 1st half takes a little too long to get to its charm? I sometimes feel like I have to force my way to sit through the first half in order to enjoy the latter half of each episode. I don't know what it is, maybe I'm a little anxious, but it just feels like the 1st half takes forever.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oh right, talking about Dagashi Kashi 3, i think the best thing about it is how i can relate to Hotaru when she find that Saya genuinely excited to hear candy trivia. It always fun to introduce something you love to someone who genuinely interested in hearing it.

Thank y'all for self-policing that, uh. Conversation. Let's never purposefully invoke Godwin's Law, lol

I have to ask, do you think the 1st half takes a little too long to get to its charm? I sometimes feel like I have to force my way to sit through the first half in order to enjoy the latter half of each episode. I don't know what it is, maybe I'm a little anxious, but it just feels like the 1st half takes forever.

I definitely felt that way about the second episode. I think the problem is that they spent *way* too much time in the first and second episodes trying to introduce the premise and characters, which was pretty much unnecessary. All we need to know is that the dad wants Coconuts to take over the store, and Hotaru's company wants to hire Coconuts' dad. That's seriously all we need to know. They wasted a lot of time drip-feeding that whole premise out.

I think episode 3 does a lot better with this, because the first half immediately starts with a proper sketch.

Oh right, talking about Dagashi Kashi 3, i think the best thing about it is how i can relate to Hotaru when she find that Saya genuinely excited to hear candy trivia. It always fun to introduce something you love to someone who genuinely interested in hearing it.

Yeah, it's really funny. Same with the "I could break it down by genre but I could never pick just one" conversation. I just love how well it captures what a superfan of something behaves like.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 16:

Now it is the spark of revolution and yet I feel nothing
for the death of Fumitan probably because I don't think they handled her character well at all. They certainly gave us enough reason why Fumitan would choose loyalty and that is the thing I am still trying to figure out why she turned in the first place though it is clear from a narrative standpoint her death is to be a great catalyst in the future of Kudelia.

Ascheroth

Okada Gundam 14

Oh, new opening and ending. I like them.
Fumitan is
confirmed to be spy
, but Mikazuki clearly already noticed that somethings up. Kudelia is starting to feel the love and Tekkadan was set up again, business as usual.
But the most important thing is that Biscuit has an older brother, and he's this fancy dessert called Savarin!

Okada Gundam 15

Okay he noticed something, but not the important thing. Oh well.
Don't know how I should feel about this episode. It was a bit of a let down, mainly because of the Fumitan drama, I think.

And a wild masked guy appears! It seems pretty obvious who it is though, but miles better than the masked guy in G-Reco. This one at least wears a wig.

Everything's falling a part, Biscuits brother isn't the complete asshole asshole I thought he was and Atra taking a few for the team. At least Mikazuki is as efficient as always.

Okada Gundam 16

That was brutal. Sleazy, manufactored riot done right.
Fumitans death
didn't really do much for me though.
I feel sorry for Savarin and Navona.

Just T

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: 3

Great episode. The OP is nice, really elegant. I’m starting to miss Yotaro and Konatsu tbh but this backstory is being told really well so it’s fine.

Bubuki Buranki: 3

Hiiragi is still an annoying asshole and went overboard trying to get the heart but it was good to see that fail, his bubuki stop working, and Azuma get some hits in. It was nice to get a little more info this episode as things calmed down a little bit for a minute; the whole families’ thing is interesting. Also a short look into Kogane past, can see why she gets so pissed off.

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu: 3

Mikado and Izaya; Anri and Haruna were both great interactions this episode. Then Kasane joining in later on, I really like her character so far, very intriguing and got a good handle on Saika. Whole episode was just great.

With that said, took a while but finally managed to catch up on the season.

duckroll

Mononoke - Episode 8-9

I enjoyed these episodes more for the educational value than for the actual mystery. The mystery itself was fairly straightforward, and I felt that it was a little too talky. Because of the esoteric subject matter here, there's definitely a need to explain every little detail of what is happening or no one would be able to follow it. It does drag the pace down though. It was definitely interesting to see a depiction of traditional Japanese incense appreciation and the various aspects of the art form behind it. After all the talking though, this arc had probably the best "action" animation of the lot so far. It's pretty cool when he goes all out to fight a mononoke, and this was on par with the finale of the original Bakeneko arc in Ayakashi.

Defuser

Nice, slow, Mira-centric episode. A lot of fun, I loved all those cute reactions of Mira, especially after the questions that kid asked her. lol And damn, I hate how Kyoma treats her. :(
What, he went all the way to help her buy her own private room trailer, got her repaired and tells her not to overthink things regarding the kids. I don't know what show you're watching.

Qurupeke

What, he went all the way to help her buy her own private room trailer, got her repaired and tells her not to overthink things regarding the kids. I don't know what show you're watching.

He kicked her and he refers to her as junk. He obviously cares about her but he is too cool to admit it.

pbayne

Dimension W 3

Kyoma is basically Hei from DTB at this point except he makes no attempt to hide how much of a grouchy asshole he is. I love it. He just no sells all of Mira's attempts to get closer to him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dimension W Episode 3:

Well, it was expected that a Mira focused episode would come around sooner or later and here it is and it gets the job done though she still feels like a very typical anime character existing where such tropes are mostly null and void. Also, it makes sense that the eternal technophobe Kyoma doesn't think to highly of her at the moment given his hatred of coils. Honestly they are almost so diametrically opposed that they would have starred in a buddy cop movie.

blurr

MSG Iron Blooded Orphans 16

Yes, yes we saw it coming. I'm not clear about some of the details but trying to get the gist of it and hoping it will clear out later on. Maybe I missed some detail in the previous episode. I'm still enjoying it though because mech battles and politics.

Dimension W - 03

You know what I love about Kyoma? He just does not give a fuck and is completely unfazed by Mira's cuteness or the things she does. Given his dislike of coils though it makes sense that he treats her this way and ya know she isn't human which gets reinforced upon him in this episode. Honestly her being cute and bright and him acting like a grouchy old timer makes for a more interesting show.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Showa Genroku 2
That was great. Hatsuta rakugo is more enthusiastic and he know how to interact with the audience while telling story, while Kiku is more of a reciting story, without much body movement. Not to mention he's having a stage fright, causing him to not focus.

Phatmac

I really like that each enemy team has a small back story instead of being treated like a
jobber team.
Damn that ending shot was pretty rough but I couldn't stop myself from thinking "NICE KILL!"

Dimension W 3

Interesting that they did skip manga material with this episode. Its not important to the main plot but its a nice bit of world building regarding how society operates.

Tuck

Haikyuu!! - Episode 16
Bouncing tits close up? I expect better than that from you, Haikyuu!!

Good episode besides that, interesting ending and that last rally was pretty sweet.

pbayne

Rainbow Days 3

Wow natsuki and Anna are just too cute together. Enjoyed the silly little couples arguments between tsyou and his girlfriend.

Rakugo 3

The bromance levels are off the charts.

Phatmac

The end isn't too surprising, but I'm curious to see what Kudelia will do from now on. Feel bad for everyone and how this badly planned negotiation went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom