• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

Assassination Classroom S2: 3

Pretty good episode. Teresaka has come a long way since the first season. It was nice and funny seeing the group try to cheer Itona up.

Dagashi Kashi: 3

I keep expecting this to be really funny and it’s not. I still like watching it though so yeah.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 3

Not as good as the other two episodes, also seems like a love triangle is forming, unfortunately for her she’s the childhood friend and you know how that goes.

There wasn't a lot of comedy or subversion in the episode 1, it needs a pair of episodes to start rolling.

There was some attempt at comedy and subversion in the first episode, and I got a couple chuckles out of some of the writing, but overall I don't think it was executed very well. Take Saitama waking up from his dream - that should have been a really sharp transition, a direct cut from fantasy to reality, but instead the fantasy sequence drags out and then gradually fades while the alarm clock gradually fades in. It dulled what could have been a great moment.

If you don't like the comedy aspects or the subversion then yes, it's pretty much that.

I figure it's easier to like if you already are invested in superheroes/toku/battle shounen.

Concrete Revolutio 1

This on the other hand has all that stuff but manages to catch my attention. I like the timing of the direction, which executed the comedic moments sharply and made clear the connections between the two time periods, and even if the art style is garish, it does manage to be eye-catching. The world setting here is pretty cool too. Hopefully Aikawa doesn't end up driving this off the rails, but I'm willing to get on his wild ride for now.

Sekkou Boys 3

hahahahahahahaha

St. Giorgio continues to be the best. Not only due to his voice, but jesus the whole scene of acting like a leader only for it to end like that. What a man what a man what a maaaaan.

Finally watched the latest episode of BBRKRKRKRKRRBRBRBRBRR/BRBRBRBRBR. I guess I'm dropping it now. I was hoping for Evangelion: Another Impact/Cassette Girl level CG - something that actually looked well-done despite being CG. A sign that Japan had gotten good enough with the technology that it could actually fit in with traditional anime.

That was a pretty dumb expectation, but I'm still disappointed.

Line_HTX

Please Tell Me, Gyaruko-chan 01-03

This is a great way to kill 8 minutes. And of course they like to emphasize that Ojou is an airhead that's somehow good at baseball and that Otako is somehow friends with Gyaruko.

I kind of didn't like how they almost went to an emotional scene in the 3rd episode before going back to normal. Seeing Otako cry was not fun. Hopefully the show stays funny and not serious, lol

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio 1

This on the other hand has all that stuff but manages to catch my attention. I like the timing of the direction, which executed the comedic moments sharply and made clear the connections between the two time periods, and even if the art style is garish, it does manage to be eye-catching. The world setting here is pretty cool too. Hopefully Aikawa doesn't end up driving this off the rails, but I'm willing to get on his wild ride for now.

The army grows stronger with each new soldier!!

HAIKYU!! 2nd Season Episode 16 – Next
tumblr_o1f95oFuCD1qbxqfpo2_540.png
tumblr_o1f95oFuCD1qbxqfpo1_540.png

Tsuki cheering squad was best part and then the part with Hinata and the Iron Wall of Datekou.

Daichi seemed like he had way more lines than usual, though it showed he's a great captain easily able to calm everyone down and bring out the best in Hinata at times.

Daichi RIP

Gundam AGE 28 (2nd Generation End)

This was definitely a lot better than the 1st Generation arc, although I wouldn't say that's much of an accomplishment. Asemu's angst and rivalry about Zeheart pretty much carried this one, despite my reservations about their friendship being relegated to a 5 minute montage and timeskip. That and Flit's increasingly edgy "exterminate the Vagan" mentality. I still have issues about the aesthetics, the CG for the ships in particular looked quite bad. Plot wasn't anything special and didn't really try anything different, but at least it wasn't as plodding as the Gen 1.

Onward to Gen 3 then.

Utawarerumono 16

Did everyone here stop watching this? I don't read many comments on the episodes anymore. Regardless, after the past couple of episodes it was a return to form of relaxed hanging in the capital. Personally Haku's dilemma was solved a bit too fast for my liking, something like that shouldn't be solved in a single episode by hanging with bros and drinking the worries away. But I guess the show didn't want to deal with it any longer, which is a shame. Seems like we'll be getting more of a backstory on who he really is at one point too. Kuon also seems to slowly become more enamored with him episode after episode.

Line_HTX

GATE 14

That Call of Duty camera POV movement and aiming down the sights, ROFL. And wow, Kuribayashi put the serious beatdown on that prince. About time he got his just desserts, although I don't get why that rabbit came in and stopped Itami from giving a warning shot, especially since she was the one with the prince last episode... =|

Princess Pina sounds pretty nervous when addressing the Senate. Hope no one from the Empire tries to off her from the way that awful prince was talking about her possibly defecting.

It's been two episodes into the new season. When can we have Rory Mercury doing stuff again?

Utawarerumono 16

Did everyone here stop watching this? I don't read many comments on the episodes anymore. Regardless, after the past couple of episodes it was a return to form of relaxed hanging in the capital. Personally Haku's dilemma was solved a bit too fast for my liking, something like that shouldn't be solved in a single episode by hanging with bros and drinking the worries away. But I guess the show didn't want to deal with it any longer, which is a shame. Seems like we'll be getting more of a backstory on who he really is at one point too. Kuon also seems to slowly become more enamored with him episode after episode.

I'm still here. :p I was also of the same opinion about Haku, but maybe it was just a temporary "cure". If I had to guess, I'd say his distaste for war will become a more driving force in the story from this point on. The ED made it seem like we are going sci-fi soon.

I was kind of upset at seeing the show slip back into hanging out at the capital though. I thought we were going places. At this point I don't know what I really want from the show though - whether it's something darker that focuses on the war or just lighthearted romance between Haku/Kuon. :l

It's been two episodes into the new season. When can we have Rory Mercury doing stuff again?

Real soon.

I'm still here. :p I was also of the same opinion about Haku, but maybe it was just a temporary "cure". If I had to guess, I'd say his distaste for war will become a more driving force in the story from this point on. The ED made it seem like we are going sci-fi soon.

I was kind of upset at seeing the show slip back into hanging out at the capital though. I thought we were going places.

I really hope for more Kuon/Haku development.

yeah I feel that's probably where many people lost interest. I was considerably less hyped about the show after they stayed in the capital. I know complaining about what you want the show to have been is useless, but at the beginning it felt like they were gonna go around the world seeing different villages and towns. Something aching to Spice and Wolf.

Utawarerumono 16

zUE4RKP.jpg
fDBvUaq.jpg

Poor Kiuru has the smallest penis of the bunch.

Broing with up with all your best dudes and getting drunk and naked is the best way to get over the shellshock of war and seeing countless people wiped out by one of the general's transformations. That's fine I suppose, not like I really wanted to see multiple episodes of Haku being depressed over shit anyway.

Joe Molotov

Wasn't there some hentai where a dude rapes serial killers to get revenge on them or something?

You're probably thinking of Rapeman, although it wasn't serial killers.

Clients call on the Rapeman to handle cases such as the revenge of a jilted lover, forming parental bonds through a traumatic crisis, making disruptive co-workers more docile and other things of that nature. When engaged in his night trade, the Rapeman wears a black leather ski mask shaped like the head of a penis, but no trousers or underwear. In the middle of a rape, if the woman becomes unresponsive or expresses enjoyment, he uses special techniques such as "M69 Screwdriver" or "Infinite Loop" to apply more pain to the victim. Despite regretting some of the contracts he fulfills, he always completes the task.

3PZs7Pg.png

There was some attempt at comedy and subversion in the first episode, and I got a couple chuckles out of some of the writing, but overall I don't think it was executed very well. Take Saitama waking up from his dream - that should have been a really sharp transition, a direct cut from fantasy to reality, but instead the fantasy sequence drags out and then gradually fades while the alarm clock gradually fades in. It dulled what could have been a great moment.

That's what makes it great though! It's still really abrupt and the alarm sound gives you a fraction of a second to register what's going on, and by the time you do, you're staring at Saitama's blank face and imagining the disappointment going through his mind at the time.

You know I'm still waiting for Dimension W to drop the ball. Seems like those shows that start strong and just go fuck all as they run out of decent material and the animation quality goes to shit.

Line_HTX

Dagashi Kashi 02

I think I have to be somewhat not sober just to watch the 2nd half of an episode. For whatever reason I feel the need to take a break in the middle and then come back.

Haikyuu s2 16

Wow, actually moving through matches at a good rate??? Is this really High Q???

Poor Daichi.

I've always felt that Haikyuu does pacing pretty well, at least for a sports anime. It's not perfect, but it rarely if ever gets bogged down in endless dissections of a single play as something like Ace of Diamond does.

That's what makes it great though! It's still really abrupt and the alarm sound gives you a fraction of a second to register what's going on, and by the time you do, you're staring at Saitama's blank face and imagining the disappointment going through his mind at the time.

The direction just feels sluggish. You know what would have been great? If the alarm sound had started while Saitama was still in the dream - tie it to some sound the subterrainians make - and it gets louder and louder and bam - there's a match cut from Saitama punching a dude to him punching the alarm cut, something like the transition in Erased 2 to Satoru meeting Kayo in the river basin - the music abruptly cuts off - cut to Saitama's blase face - a sigh - end credits. Now that would have been something.

You know I'm still waiting for Dimension W to drop the ball. Seems like those shows that start strong and just go fuck all as they run out of decent material and the animation quality goes to shit.

I don't know anything about the manga, but every sign so far points to a solid production and Ebata's fingerprints as action animation director are all over, so I don't think there's cause for concern yet.

Line_HTX

Erased 02

This episode flew by way too fast, damnit...

It's been forever since I heard an AKFG song in an anime. And props to Yuki Kajiura for keeping the suspense going on the soundtrack.

?

Doesn't look that bad to me!

What's with those hands???? She's just complacently holding them together like she's waiting on the bus, not firing a laser from her massive gaping jaw with a tongue hanging out

oh well, im so big of a warcraft nerd i actually notice that its Kalecgos in Malygos' art and Archimonde in the Fist of Jaraxxus art. Pretty sure Mal'ganis' art is actually Varimatharas as well.

Narag

What's with those hands???? She's just complacently holding them together like she's waiting on the bus, not firing a laser from her massive gaping jaw with a tongue hanging out

oh well, im so big of a warcraft nerd i actually notice that its Kalecgos in Malygos' art and Archimonde in the Fist of Jaraxxus art. Pretty sure Mal'ganis' art is actually Varimatharas as well.

I'd been wondering about those for the longest time. Malygos in particular always felt a bit off but chalked it up to adding flavor via artistic license.

edit: Apparently it was a budget issue early on and working with what they had. No excuses moving forward though.

Erased 3

I see they didn't change
Hiromi being a victim
, which is kind of a weird thing to not mention prior, even if they essentially had to say "this is a plot point that will be relevant later" like they do in the manga. Didn't have to be anything big, but there should have been at least some kind of visible reaction from Satoru from seeing the character upon arriving in the past.

The direction just feels sluggish. You know what would have been great? If the alarm sound had started while Saitama was still in the dream - tie it to some sound the subterrainians make - and it gets louder and louder and bam - there's a match cut from Saitama punching a dude to him punching the alarm cut, something like the transition in Erased 2 to Satoru meeting Kayo in the river basin - the music abruptly cuts off - cut to Saitama's blase face - a sigh - end credits. Now that would have been something.

Wouldn't be as effective because there's no real subterraneans in that scenario.

I'd been wondering about those for the longest time. Malygos in particular always felt a bit off but chalked it up to adding flavor via artistic license.

edit: Apparently it was a budget issue early on and working with what they had. No excuses moving forward though.

They use alot of WC trading card art, so thats why you have the mismatches.

Drakes always fly like that in WoW so it doesn't bother me that much. The Ysera Awakens card looks pretty bad though.

Why is she squatting though?

Ysera really likes to squat. (As seen in Awakens)

Do we have Hearthstone players here? D: You guys should add me (I haven't played much recently but I used to play a ton).

Battlenet tag is Strix#1170

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom