• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Oshiete Galko-chan 03

I'm liking this show a lot. Things took an interesting turn this episode, I could relate to Otako's predicament. Looking forward to more of this.

Qurupeke

Reminder:
I see that some people started to post lists again, so reminder that the AOTY 2015 voting ends in about a week.

And please, no countdown lists. If I'm sleepy when I tally the votes, don't blame me for putting your number 1 last.

Dimension W
This was an interesting episode. We get to see more of the dynamic between Kyoma and Mira. Kyoma seems to be coming to terms with Mira's humanity - the pauses he takes during certain interactions being the only real indicator of this until the end of the episode. I'll admit, Mira's reactions and generally helpful attitude are really, really cute. Even the fanservice-y "I walked in on you in the bathroom" scene that I typically despise had me smiling a bit at the way it was handled.

I wish the plot would have moved forward in a more meaningful way - like how we saw Kyoma and Mira "stop" Loser last episode while simultaneously introducing us to Loser and his daughter. Similarly, we are introduced to Claire Skyheart, our likely antagonist but it is honestly hard to tell at this point. However, I think we really could have seen a similar type of events - Mira saves innocent bystanders, is wounded, feels accepted, Kyoma accepts her despite her coils, etc - in a setting that closed more gaps with what the numbers are, the history between Kyoma and Loser, and giving us more about the professor and New Tesla. The episode was good, but I think it could have been a lot better.

Tari Tari OVA
kBUAi8y.jpg
I remember why I loved this show.

Grimgar Episode 3
tumblr_o1gxi5KY691thzx08o1_540.jpg

I cant believe Haruhiro called my Ranta King Shameless, lol (when he is just as pervy minded as Ranta). But this is such a realistic anime, the struggle to get money to get by even and having to wash clothes nightly I guess. I did like how we spent much time on such a topic as Ranta and Haruhiro going commando

Rainbow Days Episode 3
CZgQisgWcAAIZUR.png

Tsupuponnu is best boy (well he already was). More episodes focused on him please. Hm more on Hashiba too I guess. Hes funny.

Dimension W Episode 3
Pretty good slow episode. The ''headless" scene was interesting.

Clearly things are going on in the background we don't know about yet.

Grimgar Episode 3
I was really hoping that Goblin would snap Ranta's neck.

Also, our heroes are huge cowards, who can only take on groups of two, and like to attack enemies while they're sleeping.

Seriously our heroes sneak up on sleeping Goblins, who never seem to attack anyone, and just beat them to death.

True heroes.

Also I think I called it.
The priest is gonna die next ep.

Toradora - 04-08

So I liked Ami's introduction as her showing her true face towards a completely indifferent Taiga was quite funny. Kept being decent for once even...until all that stalker shit started and Ami. After Sukitte Ii Na Yo and this I hope I won't have to see another lousy plot involving a stalker. As in the former, the resolution to this stalker issue is merely confront and 'scare' him once. If you're followed by a stalker, might I suggest you do not do as these anime suggest and instead call the authorities? The idea that Ami didn't want to worry her parents or so and decided to quit her modeling job, live with her aunt (or whatever relative it was) somewhere else, changing schools and what not as opposed to tackling the situation properly to begin with is equally as dumb.

Then the swimsuit stuff came up and Taiga's self-consciousness regarding her lack of filling breasts was used decently for some character development. Oh well, and then I was forced to witness some cringe inducing melodrama of the worst degree at the end of episode 8. The minor plot logic is so fucking wonky in this show. Like the guys at the pool get so horny that they somehow push themselves into the pool with a lot of force and, Ryuuji gets knocked half unconscious when one falls on him and...it's Taiga who he then sees diving for him? Like wasn't she also pretty far away from him by now? What about the fucking guys who fell into the pool and struck him? Can't they just pull him up? Just the entire direction of this sequence is whack.

However, after looking up the director of Toradora and seeing some of his other works being A Certain Scientific Railgun, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans and the god awful, beyond redemption Anohana, I'm no longer surprised. Especially Anohana but also Blood Orphans share very similar direction weaknesses and also happen to have Okada as lead writer / series composition. An awful combination that couldn't possibly accomplish anything good I'm sure at this point.

PS:
What's up with the seemingly mentally retarded parrot? Am I supposed to find it funny or what?

edit:
I almost forgot to add: so this were another 5 episodes where Ryuuji's mother didn't in any way, shape or form give an indication for struggling with the life that she leads. Not even the faintest regretful look when she wakes up on the floor again, to her son who just finished breakfast. But she talked about liking her big boobs as if she were a 8 years old, so that's great!

blurr

Dimension W 03

lots of cute this episode

A little more information on Numbers but the more interesting development was with the meeting with COO of New Tesla.

On the other hand, this show has honestly the least interesting things going on for me out of the shows I've picked this season but I'm still gonna watch it till the end.

Cornbread78

Dimension W ep.3
Mabuchi is such a dick and it's pretty damn funny. I'll take this slower episode as they are at least making an attempt at world and character building.

Hattori

Banned
[Mobile Suit Gundam] - 11

Another one bites the dust.
Thank goodness the refugees are getting rescued especially the annoying and selfish old people.

However, after looking up the director of Toradora and seeing some of his other works being A Certain Scientific Railgun, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans and the god awful, beyond redemption Anohana, I'm no longer surprised. Especially Anohana

12467677_1042110355809813_98255795_n.jpg

Oh, thank god. I thought I was supposed to take your posts seriously.

Squishy3

[Mobile Suit Gundam] - 11

Another one bites the dust.
Thank goodness the refugees are getting rescued especially the annoying and selfish old people.
The funniest part about the old people is the episode where they take Frau Bow and the stupid annoying kids hostage with no weapons.

I think Anohana was an okay show, but just okay. It was never great.

I liked the characters when they weren't screaming, and acting selfish.
During the
final "we found you" scene I felt very little.

Ano Hana isn't a good show but I wouldn't call it beyond redemption.

It just needed to be about two episodes shorter, have the eccentricities of some of the characters slightly toned down, and you'd have a genuinely decent drama.

anohana was the definition of melodrama for me. As a viewer I never once considered any of the drama or characteristics of the main cast was warranted or even realistic.

edit: should specify I love melodrama, but in the right setting and amounts. Grimgar looks like it'll deliver me that, assuming it goes full grimgark (original joke not stolen from someone else...)

Phatmac

Anohana was terrible. Everyone besides the mc, menma, and the big guy are assholes. Plus the forced love drama between these people was just bad. Menma deserves a better show filled with good characters.

Not sure how Anohana can get so much chaff. It's got interesting character design, quality animation, some fantastic music, a core concept - close friends who have drifted apart - that is affecting and easy to empathize with, steady progression, and characters with flaws that should make them easy to hate but end up being sympathetic and human.

The only major flaw the show has is that the drama of the show could have been taken in any format and done just the same. It wasn't much of an anime and I think the issue most people have coming into the show is that they expect an anime. AnoHana handles things in a much more.. traditional way and has a more grounded focus on the themes and characters relationships portrayed within. Menma was kind of flat at times too, which is a shame considering how much screen time she gets. I guess the yelling could have been seen as over the top as well.

It's hardly worse than shows where the plot could have been finished in two episodes, if not for the numerous misinterpretations that cause the romance to go on for 2 whole seasons.

Heavy Object 15

I cannot stop laughing both at Qwenthur's fucking face when Frolatayia bends over in front of him, like he's studying a goddam Picasso painting, and the big reveal being that Ohohoho~ is actually flat chested. Like, that was the fucking episode cliffhanger stinger. This show is fantastic. I don't think any other show really has the same tone as it and it's just a huge ball of fun every week.

Assass Classclass S2 03

Good episode. It did bring to light that I wish the manga spent more time on Terasaka's group because they're comedy gold. Hayama is the most underused character in the show, she's funny every time.

Next arc is Ikemen arc if it's following the manga which was a pretty good one. We're starting to get into some of the best parts of Assass so I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: At least we all can agree that Lovely Complex was the best romcom.

Reminder:
I see that some people started to post lists again, so reminder that the AOTY 2015 voting ends in about a week.

And please, no countdown lists. If I'm sleepy when I tally the votes, don't blame me for putting your number 1 last.

ugh fuck it, completely slipped my mind I meant to watch Shirobako, but at this time I have a week of packing my shit up to move. Won't be happening now. I'll go ahead and update my reserved post and quote it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Dimension W EP 3

Judging from the ending scene.... This show is skipping that part of the manga

=(

Oh well it didn't feel necessary to be in there

pbayne

I always laugh at the
ghost writing scene
in Anohana. Why didn't they do that from the start?

I think its a bit unfair to call characters you were kind of supposed to dislike = bad character overall. The middle part of the show was a bit aimless though.

Phatmac

zzzzzzzzzzzzz...what a pointless episode of bland characters doing nothing. Is anything actually going to happen or am I going to have to listen to these boring characters talk about nothing? Probably gonna drop it.

Okada Gundam 16

So some random asshole just recognizes Kudelia because she was on the news but Gjallarhorn couldn't? And also another news guy doesn't know? "Info can be manipulated later, we are Gjallarhorn after all! But also we can't tell one girl from another!" ??????????????????????????????????????

No, I will not stop bitching about this. It's really stupid. Ahhhhhhhh this show was doing good but now its starting to delve into the traditional Gundam massive gaps in logic and hokey ass writing. Fumitan somehow leaps in front of a bullet? Don't even get me started. What the fuck. These last two episodes have sunk this show in my eyes. Its not reaching true garbage tier like Aldnoah Zero yet but give it another two episodes at this pace and it'll be well on its fucking way. The Brewers stuff had some bad parts like Bebop and Rocksteady being the villains but this is way worse.

Dragon Ball Super 28

Well, art quality has certainly improved by a lot. Hope it stays that way. Kind of weird that at this stage it's going back to a tournament but whatever, stay true to your roots.

So since I'm like, the only person watching Dragon Ball here I have to keep everyone UP TO DATE on the hottest new Dragon Ball Factz. Like how the Namekian Dragon Balls are just chiseled out of the real Dragon Balls from the sixth universe that are the size of planets. They're called Super Dragon Balls.

yep

Okada Gundam 16

So some random asshole just recognizes Kudelia because she was on the news but Gjallarhorn couldn't? And also another news guy doesn't know? "Info can be manipulated later, we are Gjallarhorn after all! But also we can't tell one girl from another!" ??????????????????????????????????????

No, I will not stop bitching about this. It's really stupid. Ahhhhhhhh this show was doing good but now its starting to delve into the traditional Gundam massive gaps in logic and hokey ass writing. Fumitan somehow leaps in front of a bullet? Don't even get me started. What the fuck. These last two episodes have sunk this show in my eyes. Its not reaching true garbage tier like Aldnoah Zero yet but give it another two episodes at this pace and it'll be well on its fucking way. The Brewers stuff had some bad parts like Bebop and Rocksteady being the villains but this is way worse.
I like how she took the bullet despite the fact that were countless directions and angles they could have shot her from.

anohana was the definition of melodrama for me. As a viewer I never once considered any of the drama or characteristics of the main cast was warranted or even realistic.

Well, don't you ever do cross-dressing as the ghost of a dead girl you once liked because you're upset at another childhood pal of yours? I do it all the time!

I like how she took the bullet despite the fact that were countless directions and angles they could have shot her from.

I'm not usually a stickler for firearm related inconsistencies but the jumping in front of a bullet one always gets me. There are like, 10 ways to think of in a minute why that wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom