• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Erased could shit the bed pretty hard if they go for any dumb time travel bullshit. I hope they keep it simple because it's really strong right now.

Quasar

Not sure how Anohana can get so much chaff. It's got interesting character design, quality animation, some fantastic music, a core concept - close friends who have drifted apart - that is affecting and easy to empathize with, steady progression, and characters with flaws that should make them easy to hate but end up being sympathetic and human.

The only major flaw the show has is that the drama of the show could have been taken in any format and done just the same. It wasn't much of an anime and I think the issue most people have coming into the show is that they expect an anime. AnoHana handles things in a much more.. traditional way and has a more grounded focus on the themes and characters relationships portrayed within. Menma was kind of flat at times too, which is a shame considering how much screen time she gets. I guess the yelling could have been seen as over the top as well.

It's hardly worse than shows where the plot could have been finished in two episodes, if not for the numerous misinterpretations that cause the romance to go on for 2 whole seasons.

I liked it. I think part of my fondness is that it was the first anime to move me so much I cried. And that shocked me me as historically I'm a guy whose basically never cried watching movies or tv. I can name like two occasions in a lifetime of media watching. Even more odd is that now I can easily be made to shed tears watching anime, but it still never happens with other media. Really don't know why.

Anyway I liked it. But I do think you get just as much out of the film, which I also cried watching even knowing the story (wondering about that was why I saw it). Its a nice streamlined version.

Qurupeke

I'm pretty confident that Erased will stay good. Or it won't have a dumb twist or something. I doubt manga readers would have stayed silent or would follow without sarcastic comments if it would become shit.

Also, definitely my AOTS, yeah. I doubt I'm watching Rakugo though, which has strong support too. Not my cup of tea.

wonzo

Banned
Erased sounds like it gets p. dumb at some point but the whole concepts kinda narm in the first place. The sheer strength of it's direction which is the main reason to watch it should carry it easily tbh. Will wait for it to finish tho (alongside bd ep 1 for rakugo)

Ascheroth

I still need to watch the 3rd episode of Rakugo (for some reason I prefer watching it during the week instead of right when it comes out), but I have a hard time choosing between it and Erased.

Wait, the director of Erased is the same one as SAO?

People, for your own good, just bail now.

He also did Silver Spoon though - which I haven't watched myself - and that seems to have a decent fanbase, not to mention positive reviews from a few groups (I think THEM gave it a 5/5, if I remember right. Not that they are too shy of giving 5s to SoL shows).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Eh. Someone was at fault for the fact that LN readers kept having to fill in the blanks because the anime adaption decided to keep skimping on the details. I can't remember how many of my questions they had to answers on the show's behalf.

Yes, the overall story is the authors fault, but the show's direction wasn't faultless either.

You know, like the stupid end of episode 13 that lead to the awful opening of episode 14 (the cliffhanger boss that lead to nothing).

TUSR

Banned
Eh. Someone was at fault for the fact that LN readers kept having to fill in the blanks because the anime adaption decided to keep skimping on the details. I can't remember how many of my questions they had to answers on the show's behalf.

Yes, the overall story is the authors fault, but the show's direction wasn't faultless either.

You know, like the stupid end of episode 13 that lead to the awful opening of episode 14 (the cliffhanger boss that lead to nothing).

Unfortunately I wasn't around here when SAO originally aired. It was already on Netflix when I started posting in the seasonal threads.

Grimgar - 03

Hmm this show sort of makes me believe that the director has good intentions but isn't quite experienced enough yet to pull it off well. I say that although he does have some quite some directing credits, one of that being Mouryou no Hako which people here liked if I recall correctly. Maybe he's also just struggling with the the source material, as he's at least also writing the script for this adaptation, so I can't put it all on the latter.

To say it short, most scenes are kind of working for me...but not completely. I'm for example really not sure what quite to think of the clothes washing scene. I couldn't tell if the show wanted to genuinely imply to me that these characters, even if they're now living in this fantasy/game world, still have carnal desires and our MC Haruhiro can't help but be sexually attracted to the girls or if that's just a halfhearted disguise for some fanservice. It's like the dialogue and general atmosphere agree to the former but some of the shots hint at the latter. I can actually somewhat justify the framing of the shots focusing on the girls legs etc. since it was down from Haruhiro's POV and we're following his thought progress to being with. But then on the other hand, there has been and still is a bunch of stupid 'pervert' talk which doesn't fit the attempted, carefully crafted mood the show seems to go for otherwise. Well, and some other shots are simply male gaze without question.

So, at this point I'm still undecided. It could become good but it might also drop the ball. For now, I'll continue watching it and I really hope there's actual more to this "life in the former world" aspect. There's so many interesting venues it could go with that if it serves for more than simply establishing that the characters do indeed come from somewhere else and are new to all this.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Wait, the director of Erased is the same one as SAO?

People, for your own good, just bail now.
He is, but this time, he's also working with competent screenwriter. Not to mention the director work in silver spoon was great, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Mind as well join in:
Currently watching:

1. Haikyuu!!

- Great show, started watching it out of nowhere, now its my favorite currently watching anime. Last episode i was oh shit at the ending, i hope captain is alright. I wonder what they will do if it catches up to the manga.

2. Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans

- I love Gundam so ill always watch it when it comes it. Im always a week behind since i watch in crunchy roll.

3. Utawarerumono

- I started watching this because I loved the original anime so much until the robots at the end. It was not what I expected, don't like the show but since I started watching I'll finish it.

4. Grimgar & Dimension W

Started watching these two at funimation. I defenitly wasn't expecting grimgar to be like it is. I love when they show the daily living and all the little details of fantasy life. I hate when they fight, I would enjoy more competent people. I hate when they foreshadow so obviously like they did in the ending last episode. We all know whats going to happen.

Dimension W,

Fun show, i hope they show the old man using old gasoline technology to do shit, like an awesome car chase or something. Haven't watched the third episode, football started lol.

Qurupeke

It was generally a good ending. I want Gun Gale Online now. :(
I'm ashamed.

I recently found my comments from the original SAO OT and they seem to indicate my reactions were mixed, I consider it a lot more bad now. I still think that most of the first part is good though, but really, really poor paced, tbh... I have to give it to SAO for having a really good first episode, I loved it.

Erased is by far AOTS, hopefully its consistent to the end.

I'm just scared that it might shit the bed later on. I really don't want that to happen but I'm still considering the possibility.

There have been many shows with promising starts that end up being a disappointment.

Quasar

He also did Silver Spoon though - which I haven't watched myself - and that seems to have a decent fanbase, not to mention positive reviews from a few groups (I think THEM gave it a 5/5, if I remember right. Not that they are too shy of giving 5s to SoL shows).

Well it is a great show (and manga), season 2 moreso.

Rewatching Noein through FUNimation's BD set and noticed that only the bloopers/outtakes from the 5th volume of Manga Ent's release are available. Haven't checked the DVDs, but I would assume the same. Am I missing the volumes 1-3 bloopers somewhere else on the other BDs? Having the original Manga Ent set I do know the bloopers were originally easter eggs hidden in the menus.

TrueBlue

I've been watching Gintama for the last couple of months, up to episode 50. Really enjoying it so far. I see there are a couple of movies, when should I watch them? Do they take place between episodes?

Dimension W Ep. 1

Interesting premise, and some pretty sweet animation at times. Will follow.

That dancing by the MC during the OP was pretty great.

I've been watching Gintama for the last couple of months, up to episode 50. Really enjoying it so far. I see there are a couple of movies, when should I watch them? Do they take place between episodes?

Movie 1, Benizakura-hen is a recap of the Benizakura arc.

Movie 2, Be Forever Yoruzuya just watch when you catch up.

I'd argue you should watch Be Forever Yorozuya by order of release, aka before any of the new season. It'd also play into the recurring joke of the series of Gintama getting cancelled and this being the finale.

The first movie is a version of the Benizakura arc which takes place from episodes 58-61 in the TV series. You can watch it instead of the corresponding TV episodes. The second movie was made in 2013, and you may as well watch it in production order, which would be after episode 265.

TrueBlue

Movie 1, Benizakura-hen is a recap of the Benizakura arc.

Movie 2, Be Forever Yoruzuya just watch when you catch up.

I'd argue you should watch Be Forever Yorozuya by order of release, aka before any of the new season. It'd also play into the recurring joke of the series of Gintama getting cancelled and this being the finale.

The first movie is a version of the Benizakura arc which takes place from episodes 58-61 in the TV series. You can watch it instead of the corresponding TV episodes. The second movie was made in 2013, and you may as well watch it in production order, which would be after episode 265.

Release order it is then, thanks!

I'll just forgo watching the first movie, unless it's clearly superior to the episodes?

I'll just forgo watching the first movie, unless it's clearly superior to the episodes?

well episode 50 you should have already passed this arc I believe? It's better animated in the action scenes as far as I recall, but not worth watching it again. If you hadn't seen the arc in tv form I'd recommend watching the movies instead.

TrueBlue

well episode 50 you should have already passed this arc I believe? It's better animated in the action scenes as far as I recall, but not worth watching it again. If you hadn't seen the arc in tv form I'd recommend watching the movies instead.

I'll keep that in mind! Crunchyroll doesn''t have the movies, does it?

The first movie is superior to the episodes; it's got touched-up animation and amusing extra sequences at the beginning and end which are worth watching.

No, like I said, the Benizakura arc is episodes 58-61.

Crunchyroll does not have the movies.

a missed the post of which episodes they're in. And yeah if Crunchy doesn't have the movies, shame. At that point it's not enough to go out of your way to find it for convenience sake. But if you can find the film, watch it in film form instead.

Yo, Kono Subarashii Blah Blah Whatever is actually pretty funny. It's tone is completely different than I was expecting. It's pretty low budget though, we're talking Akikan animation tier. Well, more like the stills and inbetweens. Sometimes the animation is good looking. Still, I laughed out loud a couple times already in two episodes.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Grimgar 3
The struggle is real. Can't even buy an underwear lol. I imagine RPG with basic hygene accounted will be cool.
Killing a sleeping enemy is a smart move for a weak party. Fuck pride and honor. When you're that weak, anything goes.
Show still has one of the best background art and bgm really fit with the scene.
I was hoping the OP and ED is not final, but i guess this is the final one huh? The ED is just illustration stills, while OP is taking various scene from the 1st episode.

Perfect Insider 5

This episode didn't try to do much fancy to visually liven up the long dialogues, but the writing is interesting enough to sustain my attention and the directing was solid enough to not get in the way, unlike some points of the earlier episodes. Moe has been fleshed out enough by this point that I can now say I like her as a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom