• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys I've been itching to watch Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

How is it? I've heard good things and that it's tied to Miyazaki somehow (??)

It's on Hulu and decently long, might take the plunge.

Clov

Well, it's a Hideaki Anno work, so not quite Miyazaki. It is good though, though there's a stretch of episodes that people call the "island episodes" that were directed by someone else and are pretty bad. Still, the majority of the show is great, and it's definitely worth a watch. Very fun show, with a great sense of adventure.

John Blade

It's a good show and would recommend everyone to watch it even with the flaw it have (like the Island and Safari episodes which didn't go anywhere for example). Also, if you can, go watch the English dub for this show. I don't know why people hate the dub but I watch the entire show in the Eng dub and it sound great to me. Lastly, DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE FOR IT. Please avoid it as it isn't worth the time.

Risette

A Good Citizen

if you want a tv series with a more-than-incidental relation to miyazaki, watch future boy conan.

Grimgar 03

Man I bet I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but this show is my favourite alongside Erased. It isn't of the same caliber obviously, comparing the two would be like comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruits, but they are very different. These two shows have mystery surrounding the characters. I am really beginning to like them all, and that last bit with Manato is making me wonder about a lot of things.
Could this be some kind of punishment for bad children, being thrown into this world? Could Manato be the mastermind character, throwing himself into this world alongside his victims forgetting everything alongside them? Or is it neither of these, and he was just a bad kid in the real world, period.

Tons of potential for cool reveals. I really like seeing them work so hard, doing tasks that we all take for granted and consider easy in gaming. Looking forward to next week's showing.

Garo the Animation 22

Hey, this storyboard was actually pretty good! Even the Dutch angles Mihara likes had purpose this time, such as when
we see a shot of Leon, Alfonso, and Ema in the elevator room, and the transformed Octavia flies up and the weight of her landing tilts the camera
. Some great close-ups at the end too, which helped drive home the emotional high of the scene and the great effort the characters were expending to reach their goals.

I got a kick out of demonic Tetris and the modern city illusion. Taking inspiration from Nier in more than just music!

Well, it's a Hideaki Anno work, so not quite Miyazaki. It is good though, though there's a stretch of episodes that people call the "island episodes" that were directed by someone else and are pretty bad. Still, the majority of the show is great, and it's definitely worth a watch. Very fun show, with a great sense of adventure.

It's a good show and would recommend everyone to watch it even with the flaw it have (like the Island and Safari episodes which didn't go anywhere for example). Also, if you can, go watch the English dub for this show. I don't know why people hate the dub but I watch the entire show in the Eng dub and it sound great to me. Lastly, DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE FOR IT. Please avoid it as it isn't worth the time.

if you want a tv series with a more-than-incidental relation to miyazaki, watch future boy conan.
All right thanks guys. I Googled it and apparently it seems like Miyazaki came up with the concept, left the studio and it was used to create this show. He used similar ideas to create Laputa.

And Hulu only has the sub so that'll do.

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.8
Hey, we learned how Arima fell in love with her. It drives me crazy the way it's done on some anime, but this show does a great job telling the story through a first person perspective that switches between Arima and Miyazaki.

yeah, they areally are.

So I'm watching the first ep. First impressions: Why aren't these girls wearing pants? Why are the guys wearing pants? This isn't listed as a harem anime. Why did the girl's friend almost die from such a small fall? Ugh this anime better be good. Oh and they get tails and ears, because....I hope there's a reason. This chick just joined the army to search for her dad. This premiere was really piss poor.

Yeah it's over. I can't do this.

On a positive note, the dub isn't bad.

What even had you interested in that screencap to begin with lol

blurr

Dimension W

Why is this so anime-generic.

The gruff MC who is old fashioned to a fault, who lives in a world which has left him behind, and fights with great physical prowess with knives and wires despite normal people use firearms.

His obviously tragic past.

The madam-like character as his contact in the business.

The big established corporation that are in the background as the bad guys and are hiding the ugly truth.

The grating 'modern' music in the OP and the MC doing a bit of breakdance.

The super cute petite robot-neko girl.

It's like a remix of the idea of a "cool anime" from 10-12 years ago. It reminds me of Samurai Champloo or Darker than Black. Which isn't good in my book.

My thoughts exactly

That MaeharaIsogai on the Quesiton cover (Question is one of the best OP songs of the season!)
CZiTVZpUsAAqQm6.jpg:large

Persona 3 - Falling Down

Pretty boring, but I do remember these few months being like that in the game. A lot of slice-of-life sections that I normally would like, but doesn't work too well in a movie, especially when the two characters who take up most of them share the same voice talking to each other. At least the Junpei and Chidori section was good, but I'm biased towards that.

sonicmj1

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 3

My complaints from last week feel even more urgent now.

I like the show's pacing. I like that they're very focused on the everyday of being an adventurer, on what happens the morning before an adventure, or immediately after they sell their loot, or while they're out looking for monsters. It's a very different focus from other shows of this kind, and sometimes it humanizes the characters in surprising ways.

It's just... I don't find the characters themselves interesting. Half the conversations in this episode are about peeking at girls and the fallout thereof, which just serves as encouragement for all those male gaze camera angles. Because this is the kind of drama that divides the party, the characters' relationships aren't progressing in a particularly interesting or satisfying way. For a show as uninterested in plot development as this, the lacking character development hobbles everything else.

I keep finding myself checking other things while I watch, which is a bad sign. Showa Rakugo also isn't quite as interesting as I'd like it to be, but it manages that much, and it's directed better.

Code breaker has the assassins x men aspect down you should get interest with that. Heroman would be a solid second choice since superhero craze is going in the west, and the recent release of one punch man should help

nikos

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I just watched the first season of Aku No Hana (Flowers of Evil) and thought it was a masterpiece. Since a second season ins't confirmed, I'm going to read ahead with the manga. Does anyone have recommendations for other anime (or manga, games, films, anything) that has a similar mood/atmosphere? I loved everything about it.

Somewhat on-topic: Erased is fantastic so far. The third episode hasn't popped up on Hulu yet, so I may have to renew my subscription to Crunchyroll.

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I just watched the first season of Aku No Hana (Flowers of Evil) and thought it was a masterpiece. Since a second season ins't confirmed, I'm going to read ahead with the manga. Does anyone have recommendations for other anime (or manga, games, films, anything) that has a similar mood/atmosphere? I loved everything about it.

Somewhat on-topic: Erased is fantastic so far. The third episode hasn't popped up on Hulu yet, so I may have to renew my subscription to Crunchyroll.

I would recommend the manga Oyasumi Punpun. Nihilistic, creative and depressing to a fault.

Durarara X2 27

Mikado is back in focus after being largely unimportant for a string of episodes. He and Izaya have great interactions with one another and it continues here.

The episode also serves as a reminder that Haruna is completely off her rocker. And yet somehow she isn't the craziest character in the series.

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 2

This show is totally made for Toonami. The western setting, the great backgrounds and detailed art, the wacky humor, the random superpowers, the music with vocals. I dunno what FUNi is waiting for, it's even fully dubbed! :p

This was a fun but totally random episode. One thing the show is doing a good job of selling so far is that this city is -crazy- and everyone in it is crazy. The good guys are crazy, the bad guys are crazy, no one takes anything seriously, and anything goes. Fun stuff!

P.S. Goddamn the backgrounds and music are so good.

JulianImp

This gif reminds me I wish I could still care about that Conan, but it burned me out so hard that I can't see myself following the series anymore. The show just keeps throwing new characters into the fray that do little to further the plot, and if they do it's often a plot they happened to bring with them that might someday connect to the main plot thread, all while the mystery formula has already gotten a bit too repetivive for my taste after hundreds upon hundreds of similar cases.

And don't even get me started on anime-only episodes...

kewlmyc

I never had one problem with the female lead.

She doesn't do anything offensive from what I remember.

Her constant "KILLING IS BAD, STOP" to the male protag, who's an assassin, just got annoying after a while, especially since that was her only contribution to the story initially. It makes sense why she thinks that, and she's in the right, but it was still annoying.

It would be like if's Rock's only role in Black Lagoon was to tell Revy that "WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS BAD".

Apparently she becomes more of a character in the manga, so I might check that out at some point.

Her constant "KILLING IS BAD, STOP" to the male protag, who's an assassin, just got annoying after a while, especially since that was her only contribution to the story initially. It makes sense why she thinks that, and she's in the right, but it was still annoying.

It would be like if's Rock's only role in Black Lagoon was to tell Revy that "WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS BAD".

Apparently she becomes more of a character in the manga, so I might check that out at some point.
I wouldn't recommend it. The Manga kept doing "you fool this isn't even my ultimate form" for everyone including the lead it got quite annoying.

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 Key Visual, new staff that I think that was posted some time ago
The third season is premiering in spring with new staff. Chiaki Kon (Nodame Cantabile: Paris, Junjō Romantica, Golden Time) will take over from Munehisa Sakai in directing the anime. Akira Takahashi (Dokidoki! Precure, Suite Precure character design, Sailor Moon Crystal episode animation director) will take over from Yukie Sako in drawing the character designs. Yūji Kobayashi is still in charge of the series' scripts. Takashi Kurahashi is returning as art director, and Yasuharu Takanashi is returning to compose the music. King Records will once again produce the music, and Toei Animation will again animate the series.

Designs look a whole lot better, though how they look in motion whothefuckknows.

Mature

This gif reminds me I wish I could still care about that Conan, but it burned me out so hard that I can't see myself following the series anymore. The show just keeps throwing new characters into the fray that do little to further the plot, and if they do it's often a plot they happened to bring with them that might someday connect to the main plot thread, all while the mystery formula has already gotten a bit too repetivive for my taste after hundreds upon hundreds of similar cases.

And don't even get me started on anime-only episodes...
This needs to be the bedrock of your interest in a show like Detective Conan. If the core loop of whodunit mysteries don't quench you on a spiritual level, you might not have the heart for the rest of it. The through line should come secondary and be in service of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom