• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
7OChPh9.png

Who is this?

Shouta

Catching up with backlog though not entirely done yet.

ACTIVE Raid 3

Much better episode in regards to pacing. It flowed and setup well. I laughed pretty hard at the entire situation but especially at the auto-tune joke. The Amu-chan being a boy joke was standard anime/Japan fare but at least it was mostly at how cute he was more than anything.

This show is really shaping up to be really enjoyable one if you're into the genre and niches it's aiming for. If you aren't, then it's kind of whatever but at least for me, it's definitely the most fun of all the shows I've watched this season so far.

Dagashi Kashi 2

While some of the show is funny, it's largely boring. Dagashi just doesn't interest me, lol Definitely dropped for now and maybe I'll watch it when it's all out down the line.

Gundam IBO 16

Fumitan! ;_; Poor union workers though. Navona. ;_;

I really liked how they're building up Kudelia to be the leader of a revolution and the reason why she's so effective at it. That was one of the biggest problems with Marina in OO and Relena in Wing, neither felt like they should be in that role and was just there to be the figurehead. Kudelia is developing with the story itself and it feels natural that the next episode will be focused on what she wants to do next.

I also liked that they kinda addressed the Atra being mistaked for Kudelia issue in the ep by showing that not everyone knew who she was. I guess Earth sphere folks weren't interested in Mars news while the union folks were. It's odd not to point that out as a general note because most folks aren't going to pay attention to that.

Grimgar 03

I like the fallout from the stupid shit Ranta was doing and I liked how it started transitioning them into being more competent. Haruhito haggling on underwear was pretty funny. I'm hoping they finally start going somewhere to go along with the slice of life.

Dimension W 02 & 03

RavenKyoma really balances out Mira's general antics. I'm pretty interested in what's going on and I like the setting. The action is great too so definitely gonna continue watching.

Divine Gate 3

Getting tired of the narrator kid and the narration in general but no major complaints. I like Midori's story setup and purpose. It's kina nice to get something so simple and straightforward. I wonder where everything is headed and finding out the reason why Aoto's info is so precious to the academy, lol.

Cornbread78

Grimgar ep.3
Meh, not feeling this episode and it's strong focus on feminine hygiene and lounge attire. It was probably there to make us feel bad for the poor characters, but meh. Also, now that we know both chicks dig Minoto, he's a goner. That nice guy act leads to nothing but pain and death.

Grimgar ep.3
Meh, not feeling this episode and it's strong focus on feminine hygiene and lounge attire. It was probably there to make us feel bad for the poor characters, but meh. Also, now that we know both chicks dig Minoto, he's a goner. That nice guy act leads to nothing but pain and death.

?

The witch girl maybe, but I don't think red haired girl likes him like that.

Perfect Insider 6

What's with anime and people getting drunk on non-alcoholic beverages?

Also, Shiki is pretty scary. Speculation:
I get the sense her death was some twisted form of suicide, though I don't know how the logistics of that would work.

Regarding Grimgar, the
priest
is basically already dead. There's no way he's not dying in the next episode.

The only question now is how is that character gonna eat it, and how is the group gonna react?

Time for the Goblins to get their revenge.

What's with anime and people getting drunk on non-alcoholic beverages?

It's a cultural thing. Japan doesn't like underage characters drinking and censor it pretty heavily. A scene in Haruhi had the cast drinking alcohol in the novels but it was changed to juice in the anime for the same reason. Similarly, in the original novel, Moe is actually drinking beer.

Russ T

Banned
Grimgar ep 3 post-credits preview:
shows priest's staff lying alone on the ground. Unless this is some incredible misdirection, yeah, that dude's dead.

Red haired admitted it indirectly, didn't she? "If it was ypu, it would be alright" in regards to the whole peeping incident.

She
told that to Haru, when they were having the talk while walking around. And it was more of a "not because I wanted you to look, but because if you did I'd knew you would apologize earnestly"

Are source readers of grimgar posting under the guise of not reading before, or is there something I missed in todays episode. Nothing indicated anything beyond more getting acquainted with the world under the red moon.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Why is there so much assumption that people are dying in Grimgar? I don't even like the show that much, but people praying/expecting for characters to die is a bit weird. I get death flags and all, but this is the first show I've seen so much rampant speculation about characters dying.

Edit: ah there's a light novel. That explains it. Sucks for people who actually like the show and are checking the thread out. There really haven't been any signs that everyone's going to die yet.

duckroll

Blood Battle Blockade - Episode 1

I can't remember a single thing from the few episodes I watched last year, so I have to start from scratch. It seems the series is fully dubbed now too, so I can now watch with the real New York (TM) experience.

This was pretty entertaining. Great animation from BONES, great art direction, and there's a nice framing story of how the series is a story told after the fact. Hopefully this means there's a conclusive ending. I mean, they took months to finish the final episode after all right? I hope it's all worth it in the end!

Sakura

Are source readers of grimgar posting under the guise of not reading before, or is there something I missed in todays episode. Nothing indicated anything beyond more getting acquainted with the world under the red moon.

Watching the first two episodes really gave me the vibe this is the kind of series that will have characters die. Just the atmosphere I guess.
I think I will try reading the light novels.

It's called having watched a lot of shows/movies and common sense. The death flags in this motherfucker is astounding, it's star wars levels.

Also I haven't even read lns I want to read (Spice and Wolf) why would I read one I have no interest to read lol

Yu Yu Hakusho - 60

It did feel a little conspicious with the lack of reactions, plus the multitudes of unsuccessful attempts, so I wasn't that surprised by the 'twist'. I expected it to reveal itself much later than it did though, given the upcoming battle.
I am still a bit unimpressed by the finale fights, with the previous one an exception only due to the visuals. I feel they don't hold up creatively-wise to what has been showed earlier in the tournament at the 'lower stages'.

The proposed wager I think had a surprisingly fitting reason behind it for the character in question which I appreciate, and not simply to raise the tension further of an already hyped fight.

Russ T

Banned
Why is there so much assumption that people are dying in Grimgar? I don't even like the show that much, but people praying/expecting for characters to die is a bit weird. I get death flags and all, but this is the first show I've seen so much rampant speculation about characters dying.

Edit: ah there's a light novel. That explains it. Sucks for people who actually like the show and are checking the thread out. There really haven't been any signs that everyone's going to die yet.

The party leader priest guy's death is absolutely being telegraphed to hell and back. Everything about him is "I'm going to die soon, thanks for being my friends until then".

As someone who isn't particularly bothered by spoilers, I looked up some info on Grimgar.

Not hard spoilers, but some general info on the story.
People die. Some people apparently die hard.

Cornbread78

Pandora ep 3
Another meh for this one this week, still a couple creepy scenes, but nothing too in your face. Bad guys being devious, etc, etc. Also, why is the aunt another
young robot girl
? WTF.

That Kyoma dancing right

Ill push Nurse Witch Komugi's, just for how batshit insane it is

Rakugo's was pretty slick too

Jaja yup, dances better than me. Just finish watching episode 3, i like episodes in anime where you see there houses / world built to see how they live etc etc, so i liked this episode. Should be back to missions on the next one.

Russ T

Banned
I ended up going with Yamato 2199 as my next watch after all. Decided I was in the mood for some quality sci-fi.

So...

Yamato 2199 - 01

I love the way the admiral looks. Solid character design.

I'm sort of offended by the incompetency displayed by Kodai, as he and his pal take this fighter jet out for a ride without bothering to make sure it has weapons......

Solid beginning, otherwise, though. I'm sold on the premise. Time for episode two!

JulianImp

Anohana - #1-END
So... I binge-watched the show this weekend after reading about it here, partly because I had some spare time but also because it made me want to keep on watching after each episode ended, and next thing I knew the show was already over.

I guess you could say the show's manipulating the audience to make them cry, but it actually managed to do that to me unlike other stuff such as Angel Beats, so it's a win in my book. Seeing how time basically froze for everyone after Menma passed away and how they tried to deal with their lingering regrets was interesting, even if things got played for drama a whole lot.

The show gets on its feet really quickly in the very first episode*, and managed to keep its momentum through the whole show IMO. For a time I had actually expected Menma to be a figment of the MC's imagination as it looked like she went out of her way to avoid interacting with anything, so it got kind of weird for a second when her existence was actually proved to be true (I thought contrived coincidences were behind her interactions with the physical world).

*: I seriously hated that scene when Menma sat on the MC's lap and innocently moved around and got him off without even being aware of it, but thankfully there weren't any scenes as random and absurd as that one afterwards. There also was a "it's not what you think" scene where Poppo walked in to Anaru and the MC in a not-quite-Rito-tier-but-still compromising position though, but I don't remember any other bits of slapstick comedy besides that (again, thankfully).

I get that given the show's plot and setting it could very well have been a live action series instead, but I seriously don't get what's wrong with it. For example, Rakugo's one of my favorite recent anime series by far and it also does things that would've been perfectly doable in live action. It's bad when the chosen medium to tell a story is badly chosen and doesn't really work in the end, but as long as it does I have no qualms about watching these kind of shows.

Quasar

a missed the post of which episodes they're in. And yeah if Crunchy doesn't have the movies, shame. At that point it's not enough to go out of your way to find it for convenience sake. But if you can find the film, watch it in film form instead.

Yeah. The lack of anime movies on streaming services is really frustrating.

Quasar

Grimgar 3 - Really liked this episode. Continue to like the pacing, just that the normal 12 episode limit is annoying. Definitely seems like a show I'll read the source for afterwards.

Quasar

Grimgar 3
The struggle is real. Can't even buy an underwear lol. I imagine RPG with basic hygene accounted will be cool.
Killing a sleeping enemy is a smart move for a weak party. Fuck pride and honor. When you're that weak, anything goes.

It does make me think of playing GURPS.

Gundam IBO 16

I feel like everyone knew this was coming, hence why I didn't feel as sad as I should have. These past 2 episodes weren't super bad, but they were definitely the ones I thought were a bit boring. I like this show better when they are all in space.

Mailbox

Damn you. I reverse serached the gif I had originally, but didn't think of trying the still image! grrr

Don't worry about it :p
I find that gifs tend to be a bit weirder with reverse image search.

god, i've been pretty busy with class work... i need to catch up on what ive missed soon or i'll be forced into a meaty backlog :(

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.7
Those teachers better back da fuq up. I guess her dad put them in there place (good daddy) and sensei was surprisingly ok with it. Good stuff.

jwk94

Don't worry about it :p
I find that gifs tend to be a bit weirder with reverse image search.

god, i've been pretty busy with class work... i need to catch up on what ive missed soon or i'll be forced into a meaty backlog :(

yeah, they areally are.

So I'm watching the first ep. First impressions: Why aren't these girls wearing pants? Why are the guys wearing pants? This isn't listed as a harem anime. Why did the girl's friend almost die from such a small fall? Ugh this anime better be good. Oh and they get tails and ears, because....I hope there's a reason. This chick just joined the army to search for her dad. This premiere was really piss poor.

Yeah it's over. I can't do this.

On a positive note, the dub isn't bad.

Dimension W 03

Character interactions can make or break a show. The two protagonists are so different from one another that it's just fun watching them. A grumpy, bitter coil hating guy paired up with a chipper and curious coil humanoid make for a good dynamic in this setting. I'm interested in learning why he hates coils, and if this Dimension W really is a place for infinite energy. There has to be some kind of catch to them using energy like this.

Dresden

erased - 3

I don't like it when perspective shifts away from Satoru and to whatever is happening out of his view.

Mysteries are manipulative by nature, yet it's concealed for the most part by controlling the viewpoint rather than circumstance. So when you shift out like this--showing a part of the world that the protagonist doesn't see--the manipulation is exposed, and it just feels really unnatural, because if we can see this, why not the killer? Instead the killer wears a fedora and we see his red eyes, because, like all the bad people in the show, bad people exhibit physical traits appropriate for bad people.

I did like the scene at Shiratori Jun's house. I liked the guy's room; the clutter, the solid sense of space, disrupted only by the stilted angles presented to the viewer. You can see how the narrative developed around this honestly weird dude, and how believable and neatly appropriate it must have been, and most importantly, how Satoru, despite wanting to like the man, can't help but mentally match these details to the presence before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom