• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, don't you ever do cross-dressing as the ghost of a dead girl you once liked because you're upset at another childhood pal of yours? I do it all the time!

How many of your childhood friends died because of your actions? I imagine a decade of unresolved blame and self-loathing coupled with the loss of all the people who would be able to comfort you in that situation - not to mention all the inherent distress of going through adolescence - might give you a few strange quirks.

What about robot cat girls?
Mathematically worse. Robots girls are 1, cat girls are 2. (1+2)/2 = 1.5.

What about robot cat girls?

I don't know...I haven't really watched Pandora yet.
21511-tuhbY8r3JnpV.jpg

Terror in Resonance 10

The fuck was that ending? Jesus Christ. These last couple episodes yo....

Terror in Resonance 11 - End

:( I gotta admit, I really hate the way this ended. Goddammit. I still enjoyed this series overall, but it felt rushed. It felt like a bit of a copout. The last few episodes were definitely the weakest of the bunch.

Maaan, I really don't like the way this ended.

----

Ah well. Time to finally finish Overlord.

Terror in Resonance 10

The fuck was that ending? Jesus Christ. These last couple episodes yo....

Terror in Resonance 11 - End

:( I gotta admit, I really hate the way this ended. Goddammit. I still think it was a good series overall, but it felt rushed. It felt like a bit of a copout. The last few episodes were definitely the weakest of the bunch.

Maaan, I really don't like the way this ended.

Well, the good news is that its the consensus that it shits the bed hard in the last half so you aren't alone.

Dimension W - 03

I was rather indifferent with having Mira in this show during the first two episodes, but I'm starting to enjoy her presence now.
I like the unorthodox relationship between her and Grumpy Grandpa, and his deadpan reactions to all her cute stuff.
Accurate portrayal [sound] of me when I moved into my first apartment

How many of your childhood friends died because of your actions? I imagine a decade of unresolved blame and self-loathing coupled with the loss of all the people who would be able to comfort you in that situation - not to mention all the inherent distress of going through adolescence - might give you a few strange quirks.

All of them ;_;

Ascheroth

Dimension W - 03

Nice, slow episode. I reaaally want to know more about Kyoumas backstory. I also like how he gives no fucks. He and Mira are really nice contrasts to each other.

Grimgar - 03

I've just realized that every single thing I dislike about this anime has something to do with Ranta.
Also sasuga heroes, for being able to kill sleeping goblins. You're awesome.

Dimension W - 03

I was rather indifferent with having Mira in this show during the first two episodes, but I'm starting to enjoy her presence now.
I like the unorthodox relationship between her and Grumpy Grandpa, and his deadpan reactions to all her cute stuff.
Accurate portrayal [sound] of me when I moved into my first apartment
I was gonna post an accurate portrayal of my first reaction to having my own apartment, but I think a gif/webm of some anime girl running around her apartment naked would be frowned upon.

I was gonna post an accurate portrayal of my first reaction to having my own apartment, but I think a gif/webm of some anime girl running around her apartment naked would be frowned upon.

Wait.. are you a... uh.. an anime girl? C-cause you know I uh... I'm kind of into that.

Dimension W has such incredibly atrocious pacing and choice of arc placement in the manga that I assume it'll carry over into the show. The Loser episode and arc being second when we don't even have a full grasp on the world yet is just fucking stupid.

It's such a good general concept but goddam I can't see how someone could sit through the 2nd episode and be like "Hmm. Yes. I get it. This is all acceptable. I know shit about the world but the fast-paced and unexplained introduction of world elements is perfect"

Dimension W 3

As others have said, I guess this episode had to come where they focused on the worst aspect of the show. So hopefully now it's out of the way and we can move on.

Well, the good news is that its the consensus that it shits the bed hard in the last half so you aren't alone.
Yeah, it's disappointing. I thought most of what's presented was good, but it definitely tapered off towards the end. I just feel like they could've done more. The whole premise was interesting, and I think the show would've benefited from having a longer, more fleshed-out season.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 16

So Kudelia was a revolutionary at heart even at a young age. Huh. Well as she saw now, didn't work out too well for the revolutionaries. I don't think anyone was surprised at what happened to Fumitan. I thought it was going to happen this time, but it looks like next episode will be when Kudelia finally does something.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 002

So I decided to just skim through this episode just because and yeah, Overture is so much better that its hard to overstate.

Back to Dimension W

When does this girl come into things? Because she does not look like she belongs in this world at all. I feel like when we get to her the show has a decent chance of going down hill. :l Like, is she an energy vampire? Is she here to steal the Energon? Where does Unicron fit into all this?

Also, I adore Dimension W as a show. Absolutely love it. But the actual Dimension W makes zero sense.

Dimension W has such incredibly atrocious pacing and choice of arc placement in the manga that I assume it'll carry over into the show. The Loser episode and arc being second when we don't even have a full grasp on the world yet is just fucking stupid.

It's such a good general concept but goddam I can't see how someone could sit through the 2nd episode and be like "Hmm. Yes. I get it. This is all acceptable. I know shit about the world but the fast-paced and unexplained introduction of world elements is perfect"

I've only seen the anime, but I felt the first episode set up the basic premise well enough. I didn't feel the need to have a longer lecture about the setting before episode 2.

guavatin

Banned
All this Anohana hate, wowe. I kind of feel bad that it was the only anime to make me cry.

No tears were shed with Clannad though.

All this Anohana hate, wowe. I kind of feel bad that it was the only anime to make me cry.

No tears were shed with Clannad though.

I'll break character for a bit here and say that if anyone cried at Clannad they probably have unresolved emotional issues they need to deal with. Unless we are counting After Story. After Story had some feels in it.

Grimgar 3
This sort of pacing can work fine, but it needs something better than this collection of insipid characters to pull it off. From here on out I think I'm just going to scrub through this in hope that I get to see some of these people die.

I feel like anime falls in line with games where "feels" or "did it make you cry" seem to be a huge qualifier for writing quality and that's pretty patronizing in a lot of ways, implying that's the best they can offer.

I feel like anime falls in line with games where "feels" or "did it make you cry" seem to be a huge qualifier for writing quality and that's pretty patronizing in a lot of ways, implying that's the best they can offer.

I mean Brothers: A tale of Two Sons made me cry, but it also tells a very touching story of family and overcoming issues. I enjoyed everything, even the annoying controls I got used to after 10 minutes.

Russ T

Banned
Grimgar 03

All right. This is turning into a hate watch for me, now. I'm committed to this ride, but I'm not going to enjoy it unless Ranta dies.

Rotnems

Neo Member
I like how she took the bullet despite the fact that were countless directions and angles they could have shot her from.

Why didn't they just shoot a second time. And there where two assasins right. How did that other guys didn't see Fumitan running towards Kudelia. And how the fuck did Kudelia even survive that machine gun barrage.

IBO is so dissapointing lately. I liked those first episodes when they still where on Mars but after the Brewers the show got so predictable and boring, its a shame.

Hope that Okada steps her game up.

Grimgar 3
I like the fantasy world slice of life part about this show. Curious how strong they get after the cour is finished.
Speaking about the priest guy, i hope they will kill him of soon. Even the OP foreshadows it and with everyone on the internet "predicting" his death it's obviously gonna happen.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Anyone insecure enough to use "feels" because they feel emasculated if they admit to experiencing "girl emotions" is probably incapable of differentiating between well-written drama and manipulative garbage anyway.

pbayne

they both fall under a similar spectrum though, of easy manipulation of emotions.

Thats a bit of an unfair criticism. Most shows involves emotional manipulation to some degree.

Take a show thats deservedly lauded recently like Erased. Its had tons of emotional manipulation and pushed really hard to get the audience to like and feel sorry for Hinazuki. Its effective because its had a great payoff so far (and its well written)but its emotional manipulation none the less.

Jaxec

That's enough Ano Hana talk. Let's talk about happy things, like the King Gainer OP and dance.

I was just about to start this show and now I know I've made the right decision. Thank you.

Back to Dimension W

When does this girl come into things? Because she does not look like she belongs in this world at all. I feel like when we get to her the show has a decent chance of going down hill. :l Like, is she an energy vampire? Is she here to steal the Energon? Where does Unicron fit into all this?

Since they're skipping the butler arc she'll probably appear next episode. If I remember correctly she has batbots that gather information for her. Yes, she is best girl.

Dagashi Kashi 3

I watch a lot of shows about things I generally have no knowledge of or care about such as Moyashimon or whatever but this show really is just not funny, not interesting and exists only to make Hotaru hand out boners like they were robot cat girls in this thread.

Russ T

Banned
Anyone insecure enough to use "feels" because they feel emasculated if they admit to experiencing "girl emotions" is probably incapable of differentiating between well-written drama and manipulative garbage anyway.

Hahaha damn. Brutal.

Rotnems

Neo Member

I feel like this is the reason why people find Your lie in april such a good show. It has its "feels" moments but i found 20/24 episodes boring as fuck. Characters where insufferable too especially the way they talked like they where philosophers.

Thats a bit of an unfair criticism. Most shows involves emotional manipulation to some degree.

Take a show thats deservedly lauded recently like Erased. Its had tons of emotional manipulation and pushed really hard to get the audience to like and feel sorry for Hinazuki. Its effective because its had a great payoff so far (and its well written)but its emotional manipulation none the less.

I guess it boils down to how much manipulation you're willing to accept and your feelings over the work in itself. If I felt that Clannad or Ano hana were well written, I might forgive the drama and moments of sadness more. But I guess we'd have to differentiate between well written dramatic/sad situations and those that rely on something aching to "this dead kid, so sad, he's telling you that senpai wasn't at fault".

I think it was Black Bullet that failed time and time again to get a reaction out of me because I saw the awkward manipulation coming a mile away.

I feel like this is the reason why people find Your lie in april such a good show. It has its "feels" moments but i found 20/24 episodes boring as fuck. Characters where insufferable too especially the way they talked like they where philosophers.

The biggest failure of Your Lie in April, for me, was that it didn't know whether it wanted to be a tragedy or a comedy.

Jarmel

Banned
Toradora - 04-08
I almost forgot to add: so this were another 5 episodes where Ryuuji's mother didn't in any way, shape or form give an indication for struggling with the life that she leads. Not even the faintest regretful look when she wakes up on the floor again, to her son who just finished breakfast. But she talked about liking her big boobs as if she were a 8 years old, so that's great!

I already mentioned that she's largely in the background until the end. I mean if this is going to be such a big hang up for you, you should probably drop the series.

Sterok

Aikatsu 168

The last time Sumire was openly called the frontrunner Akari beat her with some BS. I expect something similar to happen again. Juri is being lumped with Rin and Madoka, so she's not going to be a serious candidate. Akari's Place lol. She deserves the bullying. Of course the potato idols are going to win the potato competition. Hinaki and Juriare not versed in the way of the potato. That's all they're good for. Oh come on, Lucky Train again? I swear that's being spammed harder than Idol Activity way back when. Nono and Risa need to be separated so that they can finally get a new song. Next time, Hinaki finally gets do something, and holy shit Mikuru is coming back. And before Kaede/Shrion/Dre Aca. So much for Hinaki's spotlight.

Grimgar 3

You know, if there's one thing this show excels at over most others LN I've watched is the heart to hearts the people tend to have, and the more relaxed nature to developing their relationships. Red haired girl and lead for example. She did her typical anime "ecchi no baka" with the douchey black knight no one likes, but with the lead it was a touching forgiving scene. I'm enjoying their developing friendship just as much as the leader's with Haru. Haru as well, a relaxed character like that as a lead is always nice. No blubbering when they are around the girls either.

The weaker aspects of the adaptation are still there I guess. The constant need to male gaze the red haired girl's ass happens so often now that at this point they might as well Cow and Chicken her to just be a pair of walking legs. The red haired black knight character continues to be the worst. We already have a shy girl who is afraid of boys, we don't need another typical anime character in the unapologetic quick to scream pervert.

The final scene was hilarious too. Like we all expect the leader to die because I doubt a show would willingly keep a more competent male character in the cast than the lead.
They have a heart to heart conversation that should've ended there but then

"oh boy thank you for all being my friends"

"no thank you for being our leader, we need you here leader what would we do without you"

"thanks haru. This is my last sting. My wife has been pressuring me to retire, and I think that it's about time so one last job."

"Agreed. So now you go on ahead, I'll stop Darth Vader"

pbayne

I guess it boils down to how much manipulation you're willing to accept and your feelings over the work in itself. If I felt that Clannad or Ano hana were well written, I might forgive the drama and moments of sadness more. But I guess we'd have to differentiate between well written dramatic/sad situations and those that rely on something aching to "this dead kid, so sad, he's telling you that senpai wasn't at fault".

I think it was Black Bullet that failed time and time again to get a reaction out of me because I saw the awkward manipulation coming a mile away.

Yeah is agree with that distinction., it all comes down to the writing and build-up at the end of the day. And its subjective, if a show gets an intended emotional response from someone then its succeeded to an extent.

I think the worst modern example of bad manipulation I can think of is Akame Ga Kill. The "hey lets quickly scrap 2 minutes of character development before killing a character" level of bullshit.

Jarmel

Banned

The pacing in the anime is fine. There's a bit too much exposition at times but it mostly feels organic at this point.

On a different topic, I gotta ask how does Daisuki function on a business level? Do they rely entirely on ad revenue? Is it simply that these anime studios want a streaming service they have more control over?

John Blade

sakura%20taisen%20-%20sumire%20(3).jpg

What a nice way to end the series and maybe the franchise in a way. This might be the last OVA was made for Sakura Taisen and the reason it was made was mostly for the voice actress of one of the main character, Sumire, as she was retiring from the Anime voice industry Michie Tomizawa (but later come back to the industry which is funny but hey, she voice Roberta for Black Lagoon so, no complain).

I can't say much about this OVA as it's just a farewell musical for Sumire so, they isn't much development for other character except for her when she realize it's time for her to step down from the Flower Division as she didn't have the power to continue to fight. It's a nice send off but other than that, they isn't much to say. Overall, a decent end for one of the character.

As for the franchise by itself, as someone who never play the game and going into it, I will say I have a mix feeling. For some like the TV series and the 1st OVA, it was good enough to like but for the other, it's was either average to don't watch it feel for me. I guess if you have play the game, almost all of them are very good for you and I can see that based on how they set up the OVA but trying to get people to get into this franchise will be difficult of how they set the anime up. I guess the best way to get into it is go watch the TV series and maybe stop there once you finish as after the TV show (exclude the 1st OVA), it start to get harder to follow. If you like the anime and want to know more of the franchise, I would recommend to look into the game as that is where this franchise shine the best. Unfortunately, almost all of the game are Japanese (except for one (the fifth edition?) that release in North America for the Ps2 and Wii). Still, they is fan dedication of the franchise like this link on GAF where people talk about the game or walk through. Also, the gamefaqs have a detail walkthrough of the games which will help you if you decide to start playing the game.

Overall, I still have a mix feeling with this franchise but I will say it was fun to watch the TV series and make me have some interested in the game and want to walk some walk through for it.

Line_HTX

On a different topic, I gotta ask how does Daisuki function on a business level? Do they rely entirely on ad revenue? Is it simply that these anime studios want a streaming service they have more control over?

They probably want all the ad revenue over stream quality.

I'm guessing it's the same on their YouTube channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom