• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Musaigen No Phantom World 4
QlE4w6y.jpg

Nice episode. Charming artstyle and the decision moment was great. And hey, the fanservice is completely gone but I guess we will see a lot of bunny ears fanart. lol

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.2
Why did they make me wait the entire friggen' episode to finally see what happened. Shinji has it rough that is for sure. I know he is going to fall for Rei from that brief introduction, but damn, it would be much more fun if they tried to ship Shinji with Misato. I know, I know, this isn't that type of show, but Misato is pretty damn funny so far and those ripped daisy dukes were hilarious to see, so classic....

phaze

Crunchy guest pass, expires on Feb 5. Quote to see.

Haikyuu !! 13-25 END
I stared with disbelief at the screen for a good few seconds after the final whistle,
cause I couldn't believe they'd just axe the third year players at this point already and I was sure I still saw them in the opening for the the 2 season. And sure enough, it turns out I just don't have a clue about how this championships are organised and the 3rd years still have one last shot at the nationals.
I don't really have much to add to my previous post, this is just a really well executed sports show and this final match and the entire second half didn't disappoint.

Dat Texhnolyze OP is quite something. The moment when Onishi makes his appearance is kick-ass. Am roughly halfway in and it's quite good by now.
Mustache-man ended up being one rather intriguing fellow.

The director Hamazaki also sure loves his singled out characters on blazing white backgrounds, huh.

Haruchika Episode 4: Vernacular Modernism
CZvvY4OWkAEArzj.png:large

Haruta's face is the best.

Another great episode, can clearly see Maren took after his mom, their random english phrases every now and then is wonderful, and Haruta got to go to Maren's place. I wish he had moved in :(

I loved this weeks mystery such an awesome Christmas Eve Miracle.

An original anime called Girlish Number was just announced.
1453877565-61dc864eac00d0a0710cad70eafcf522.jpeg

The series follows Chitose Karasuma, a university student who aims to become a voice actress (seiyuu). The stage event listing further indicates that it focuses on the profession of idol seiyuu.

Cornbread78

Konosuba ep.3

jfgU48r.jpg
BEHYNYZ.png

CYz8Nar.jpg
yOaNweN.jpg

Holy crap, Darkness is a masochistic Crusader and just as useless as the others, lol. That cabbage assault segment, as well as the thief "pilfer skill" learning experience were classic fun. This show hit's all the right notes for goofy fun with an edge of ecchi. Good stuff.

Perfect Insider 11 END

In the end, as an adaptation of a mystery novel, this is inferior to Mouryou no Hako. It has weaker direction, much worse art design, and weaker writing. The weak link here is Dr. Magata herself; she's a very inhuman figure and the show's attempts to make her seem sympathetic are unconvincing. The production and story share a cold, artificial touch which I don't appreciate. It was interesting though.

Ascheroth

Gintama - 307

FUCK YOU GORILLA!
I knew it was coming and I still had tears in my eyes at the end. And the cheerful ending song playing over the ending scene was the final nail in the coffin.

Gintama 307

I teared up a little at the end there.

I'm surprised that it looks like the next episode is also serious. I guess people were serious when they said this arc marked the beginning of the end, but from what I understand a few chapters and side chapters were skipped so maybe not for the anime.

Gintama 307

I teared up a little at the end there.

I'm surprised that it looks like the next episode is also serious. I guess people were serious when they said this arc marked the beginning of the end, but from what I understand a few chapters and side chapters were skipped so maybe not for the anime.
honestly I saw one opportunity to go for the skipped comedy stuff but this episode killed that idea, especially since it does look like they're going straight into the next arc based on the preview. Also one of the skipped comedy arcs is apparently going to be an ova packaged with manga volumes, so yeah

Gonna watch me some Gintama, too, finally. For some reason I never thought I'd like it much. I saw a few clips here and there and they were good, but still. Then the supposed mediocre first 20 episodes or so...

But since the director Shinji Takamatsu also did School Rumble and I adored his directing there, I'd be a fool not to try it out.

Ascheroth

Konosuba - 03

Still hilarious.
What a perfect party line-up, what can possibly go wrong.
The faces in this are killing me and the comedic timing is completely on spot.

This probably comes right after Erased and Rakugo for me this season.

Phantom World 4

Eh, this episode didn't really do much for me. Especially since the whole episode seemed kinda pointless if she could just talk to her parents and solve everything. Why was there a problem in the first place if her parents are so accepting anyway? Couldn't the big sister do the same?

Assuming Koito and Front-twintail will also waste an entire episode for their melodrama in the near future it's going to be rough...

Qurupeke

Golden Time 10-12

Yay, it seems that the whole thing has been resolved, for now. Hopefully they're will be some fun episodes till they go back to drama again. Koko's and Banri's relationship seems to be better than ever and there are no lies anymore. Hopefully that Nana goth girl will stop pushing for Banri x Linda, no one wants that.

Anyway, the club scenes were sooo good. I really liked seeing everyone doing that kind of work. lol Devil Linda was cute as hell. And we also had Banri and naked Mitsuo. Oh man, this was a weird party. And then we had that Koko scene. The slap was intense. I understand Koko but that must have been a really strong slap. lol

Half of the episodes left, I just wonder where this will go now. First half of it was really enjoyable, so I'm at least satisfied, even if it becomes awful.

Taruranto

DAMMIT CHAIKA STOP COCKBLOCKING THE HOMOLUST, THAT'S THE ONLY REASON ANYONE IS STILL WATCHING THIS

Though I do applaud this show for the realistic portrayal of brother/sister relationship.

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 12 (End)

I... didn't really enjoy this. It does what it sets out to do, it is well animated, the art and music is on point as always, but it simply wasn't what I watched the show for. It felt like a big emotional climax for an entirely different show. Even though episode 11 was also all about White and Black, I felt it had all the ingredients of what was attractive and enjoyable about the show. The finale just didn't. I can't even pin it down to why, but it just felt like a ton of effort for something no one really asked for. I love the show, I will definitely watch another season, especially if most of it is episodic, and I actually hope they make more. I just don't care at all about this big double length finale. Nothing about the resolution was particularly emotional nor did any of it feel earned. Things happened one after another but there was something hollow about all of it. :(

I felt nothing when I watched the ending. I even felt you could swap some character lines around without losing anything.

It had a lot of style but zero substance.

Cornbread78

Phantom ep.4
They really want us to feel bad for Reina and her family situation, but that kind of random drama in an ecchi comedy show like this.. It wasn't terrible, but, it wasn't good either.

Concrete Revolutio 2

I feel like the scenes between the shapeshifter and the bug queen could have been more effective had there been more time to develop their relationship. But the shapeshifter's perspective, as one who never changes (a fact that's brought home when he reflects on how the kids he used to play with are now grown up and gone), aptly serves to set out what seems to be the fundamental thesis of the show: taking what seems to be a straightforward battle between good and evil and ripping it apart to make it a lot more complicated than it appeared. You can see Jiro's concerns during the voting process, when he votes to let the shapeshifter in because he wants to be reminds that they are good guys battling evil - I suppose that's an early indication of the doubts that eventually leads him to split as we see in the flashforward sequences and the end of the ED.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Perfect Insider 11 END

In the end, as an adaptation of a mystery novel, this is inferior to Mouryou no Hako. It has weaker direction, much worse art design, and weaker writing. The weak link here is Dr. Magata herself; she's a very inhuman figure and the show's attempts to make her seem sympathetic are unconvincing. The production and story share a cold, artificial touch which I don't appreciate. It was interesting though.

Ah, my prediction was accurate and indeed this is pretty much why I soured on the series.

Now, this is a story all about how
His life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you about the history of a guy called Trunks.

Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks

So...Is it wrong I found History of Trunks to be kinda underwhelming overall?

Part of it stems from the Dub-sub issue. The dub is desperately begging for a re-dub (It's utter crap). Meanwhile the sound quality for the sub is so bad that it's almost hard to hear what the characters are saying. It really kills it for me.

The other reason is because I feel The History of Trunks Abridged did a much better job in conving the bleak setting of Trunks' world, the relationship between Gohan and Trunks, Trunks first transformation as a Super Saiyan and even the development of Trunks as a character.

It's not a bad special and I do understand why people love it but I didn't get much enjoyment out of it personally.

Just T

Gintama: 307

The last scene with Shigeshige and Soyo was beautiful, as tragic as it was. She is going to be a wreck. Straight into another serious arc but those happen to be my favorites in Gintama.

Yona of the Dawn 7

Sometimes the manga style comedic moments are a bit much for me, but there are other moments of direction that I really like. The storybook sequence telling the creation myth this episode was excellent.

pbayne

Aoi Hana 1-6

There are too many troubling implied relationships in this show to count.

Very little drama(though there is a lot of dark implied stuff) and I appreciate the relaxed pace the show has had so far. It's really refreshing to see character's sensitive enough to flat out say, "this is the problem i have, had do we fix it," and to see characters be supportive of each others sexuality.

Golden Time 10-12

Yay, it seems that the whole thing has been resolved, for now. Hopefully they're will be some fun episodes till they go back to drama again. Koko's and Banri's relationship seems to be better than ever and there are no lies anymore. Hopefully that Nana goth girl will stop pushing for Banri x Linda, no one wants that.

Anyway, the club scenes were sooo good. I really liked seeing everyone doing that kind of work. lol Devil Linda was cute as hell. And we also had Banri and naked Mitsuo. Oh man, this was a weird party. And then we had that Koko scene. The slap was intense. I understand Koko but that must have been a really strong slap. lol

Half of the episodes left, I just wonder where this will go now. First half of it was really enjoyable, so I'm at least satisfied, even if it becomes awful.

Why are you doing this to yourself? Did no one warn you?

Jarmel

Banned
Konosuba-3

I liked this more than the 2nd episode as the comedic timing felt tighter. Flight of the Cabbages was great as well.

Aki-at

Shirobako 23 - 24 END

Haha as much as the second half of the show has brought down the overall package, these last two episodes were full of a lot of heart and crazy moments that made me enjoy the second half. Overall a great animation and I'd recommend it, seems like something I'd want to rewatch again down the road but just brought down a bit by an iffy second half that turns good, 9/10.

Erased - 1

Off to a promising start already though coming off from Broadchurch so this might be a little unfair! :p Still was a great opening episode.

Phantom World 04

Pretty sweet episode. We also got the explanation as to why Haruhiko's home is always empty. Red haired girl is starting to slowly but surely slide into their DMs. Give it a few more episodes, and the infiltration will be complete,

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.3
Speaking of cray, Shinji just went there on that emergency call, even im front of his new classmates (including the one that beat him up) kids got it rough for sure, but three fays? Buck up son, you got a long road ahead of you.

John Blade

Welp...need a change of pace of watching anime and pop in Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Going to slowly watch this movie for the next few days and then make an impression about it. Like watch the other work this director made so, do hope I will like this also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom