• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, time to catch up on some classics.

And here I am sitting on watching Akira amongst others on my backlog. This semester is a bit hectic though, don't have the time nor the mental capacity to enjoy full seasons and such. So much work. Also applying for countless co-op positions for this Summer is slowly but surely breaking me down.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.4
Runaway,Runaway, runaway... I guess he's learning to make new friends after he decides to return to NERV. Misato is still best girl, so hopefully, he can walk in on her at some point. Good learning experience for the boy.

Evangelion ep.5
So, we learn about Rei in this one. Looks like she has a daddy fixation, oh and it happens to be Shinji's father, who hates his own son but likes her, wtf? Anyhow, I got a large chuckle out of the scene in Rei's room, but was sad because it was the wrong girl, uugghh.... It's also funny to see that these "awkward situations" with the guy falling onto of the girl and getting to cop a feel of a boob was still going on in the 90's. That aside, not too bad since th are still word building and developing characters.

Kenstar

Konosuba ep.3

jfgU48r.jpg
BEHYNYZ.png

CYz8Nar.jpg
yOaNweN.jpg

Holy crap, Darkness is a masochistic Crusader and just as useless as the others, lol. That cabbage assault segment, as well as the thief "pilfer skill" learning experience were classic fun. This show hit's all the right notes for goofy fun with an edge of ecchi. Good stuff.

we already have an exhibitionist busty blonde with a black/yellow/white color scheme tho

9424fcc7510ffea19029739756e3489c1415927027_full.png

Jintor

Evangelion ep.4
Runaway,Runaway, runaway... I guess he's learning to make new friends after he decides to return to NERV. Misato is still best girl, so hopefully, he can walk in on her at some point. Good learning experience for the boy.

Evangelion ep.5
So, we learn about Rei in this one. Looks like she has a daddy fixation, oh and it happens to be Shinji's father, who hates his own son but likes her, wtf? Anyhow, I got a large chuckle out of the scene in Rei's room, but was sad because it was the wrong girl, uugghh.... It's also funny to see that these "awkward situations" with the guy falling onto of the girl and getting to cop a feel of a boob was still going on in the 90's. That aside, not too bad since th are still word building and developing characters.

in fact, the boob cop you're watching is already a reference to other boob cops from previous works!

*munches popcorn*

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.6
Damn, that was a harsh battle for poor Shinji. Rei put him in his place a little and motivated him to be a man, rather than a whiny brat. In the end they make a good team to take on and defeat the Angel with precision tactics, even from a long distance away. That ending scene was kind of cute between the two, so hopefully, he can continue to man up and she can open up a little.

in fact, the boob cop you're watching is already a reference to other boob cops from previous works!

*munches popcorn*

Been with anime since the early days, huh?

Just T

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 4

Foolishness. Such a dumb mistake for Haruhiko to eat that food, then later for Mai to do the same thing right after acknowledging that she shouldn't. I guess it was suppose to be funny or something idk just foolish. Then it felt like they were trying to have that last segment with Reina to deliver some emotional punch which it failed to do then ending things on a simple note that makes you wonder why didn't she just tell her parents in the first place. Ah but the tidbit about Haruhiko's mother was worth something I guess, otherwise this episode irritated me.

Konosuba: 3

So a masochist completes the group lol Kazuma is going to have more of a hard time. And Aqua really enjoys her party tricks.

The Vision of Escaflowne - 6

CZxwXOAWYAARX--.jpg:large

Yo Dilandau's mecha looks like a weird hybrid between Char's Zaku and a Qubeley

Things are getting intense with Van's brother dropping some foreshadowing and Asturia's king being in control of Zaibach.

So apparently
other people from Earth are on Gaea judging from that CD? Oh man, I'm going to laugh so hard if Amano ends up being the final boss somehow.

Also MECHS IN A COLOSSEUM YES YES YES.

NeonZ

Something about the new Lupin season (Part IV) that really annoys me is that they abuse Lupin losing the loot in the end way too much. I think he has only successfully stolen things and gotten away with it twice in the show so far, which is kind of ridiculous.

I guess certain segments of Part II (Red Jacket) were like that too, but I didn't like those either, and it's one of the reasons that I actually enjoyed even Part III more than it.

Also, it was a missed opportunity that they had a flashback scene to years ago with Goemon but didn't use one of the designs of the previous series.

Jintor

it kinda just occured to me that a thing i liked about shirobako was that our newbie viewpoint character became a mid-tier manager and assumed more responsibilities in the second half of the show and I liked that a lot. it's a nice change from most series i watch where protags usually don't have a lot of responsibilities beyond the big overriding ones like 'save da world' or 'rpg party quest leader' or whatever

Konosuba 03

I don't find the tank girl as amusing as the mage, but she can still hold aggro despite missing all her tanks so she's still a great tank overall. Also being able to use your Steal skill on someone's panties seems super useful.

Yes, very useful...

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.9
Ok, this is a weird tone shift. I see what Phase was saying earlier. Why the drama for Miyazaki with all the girls in class?

Konsuba Ep 3

4th member appeared and shes pretty funny. The comedy is really good and those reaction faces are really good. The scene where the guys gave thumbs up and the girls were staring at disgust was the best part.

Cornbread78

Konosuba 03

I don't find the tank girl as amusing as the mage, but she can still hold aggro despite missing all her tanks so she's still a great tank overall. Also being able to use your Steal skill on someone's panties seems super useful.

Yes, very useful...

Konsuba Ep 3

4th member appeared and shes pretty funny. The comedy is really good and those reaction faces are really good. The scene where the guys gave thumbs up and the girls were staring at disgust was the best part.

The show is just plain fun to watch. Comedy is actually good and delivered well. On top of that, the characters are all useless and compliment each other well. Poor dude is screwed...

Lucentto

Banned
Konosuba 03

I don't find it very amusing that the MC can steal panties. Think about it, this dude might end up stealing the wrong panties from the wrong girl. Fool around and obtain panties with some evidence of treasure, and i'm not talking about gold...

Cornbread78

Konosuba 03

I don't find it very amusing that the MC can steal panties. Think about it, this dude might end up stealing the wrong panties from the wrong girl. Fool around and obtain panties with some evidence of treasure, and i'm not talking about gold...

Eewwww. Lewd, lol.

TUSR

Banned
The Vision of Escaflowne - 6

Things are getting intense with Van's brother dropping some foreshadowing and Asturia's king being in control of Zaibach.

So apparently
other people from Earth are on Gaea judging from that CD? Oh man, I'm going to laugh so hard if Amano ends up being the final boss somehow.

Also MECHS IN A COLOSSEUM YES YES YES.

Is this your first watch through of Escaflowne?!

Clov

it and the movie

While I remember loving the TV series, I wasn't as big of a fan of the movie. Seemed weirdly paced, and a bit boring. It's been a while since I've seen it though.

I'm still debating with myself whether I'd consider the TV series one of my all time favorites. I loved it, but I'm just not sure if I loved it that much. If Funimation would just release the BDs of it already, I'd have an excuse to rewatch some of it!

duckroll

The Escaflowne movie has many problems, but it is still well worth watching. It also takes nothing away from the TV series because it isn't a sequel or prequel. The opening fight scene in the movie is worth the price of admission alone.

Wait, what? Isn't it a highly recommended mecha series?

Yes! It's one of the best mech shows of the 90's (and probably outside of that decade as well). Definitely give it a watch.

The movie is? I'm pretty sure GAF warned me away from it.

The movie's not bad (It's a standalone feature) but there are some noticeable flaws that couldn't be ignored. As a fan I still enjoyed it but overall it's nowehere close to the TV series.

hey if Erased ends up disappointing me at least Life is Strange has been fun in playing rookie detective and connecting dots.

Then again apparently episode 4 is the peak, i'll find out tomorrow if it shits the bed.

So I was recently made aware that there was a 2009 anime called Akikan. It's about drinks that are also sexy girls.

Also the main character flirts aggressively with vending machines.
IxuXpaZ.jpg

Look forward to my review coming soon.

TUSR

Banned
So I was recently made aware that there was a 2009 anime called Akikan. It's about drinks that are also sexy girls.

IxuXpaZ.jpg

if i read this post from bottom to top i would have though it was a different poster

It's not worth it, Akikan isn't even entertaining trash.

Concrete Revolutio 3

Hey, we've got RoboCop here too!

I must say, as an exploration of ideas about morality, however imperfect it may be, I'm finding this more interesting than Perfect Insider.

The Escaflowne movie has many problems, but it is still well worth watching. It also takes nothing away from the TV series because it isn't a sequel or prequel. The opening fight scene in the movie is worth the price of admission alone.

Well you made me interested, but then I saw Bones made the film. I'm going to watch it, hopefully I'm not being lead astray.

duckroll

Well you made me interested, but then I saw Bones made the film. I'm going to watch it, hopefully I'm not being lead astray.

Why wouldn't BONES have made it? The Sunrise studio that made Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop (and 0083 and G-Gundam) was what became BONES. Since the staff was now at the newly formed BONES studio, when Sunrise wanted to make movies for Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop, it is natural that they turned to BONES.

Why wouldn't BONES have made it? The Sunrise studio that made Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop (and 0083 and G-Gundam) was what became BONES. Since the staff was now at the newly formed BONES studio, when Sunrise wanted to make movies for Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop, it is natural that they turned to BONES.

I knew the Bebop connection, but not the Escaflowne and G-Gundam ones. Huh, even dumb Bones jokes can turn into learning experiences.

Jarmel

Banned
The Escaflowne movie is absolutely gorgeous. The plot is largely nonsensical but I don't have the original TV series in high regard either on that front.

ibyea

Banned
Perfect Insider 11 END

In the end, as an adaptation of a mystery novel, this is inferior to Mouryou no Hako. It has weaker direction, much worse art design, and weaker writing. The weak link here is Dr. Magata herself; she's a very inhuman figure and the show's attempts to make her seem sympathetic are unconvincing. The production and story share a cold, artificial touch which I don't appreciate. It was interesting though.

Yeah what was up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom