• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

Oh good lord...

Yet another reincarnater anime. The premise of this one to my understanding (I've only read the translated intro chapters) is a salaryman reincarnates into another world (mix of fantasy and early 20th century Germany I guess) as a girl, and is recruited as a child solider. He/she then discovers the joys of combat, and proceeds to go bumfuck crazy.

Oh good lord...

Yet another reincarnater anime. The premise of this one to my understanding (I've only read the translated intro chapters) is a salaryman reincarnates into another world (mix of fantasy and early 20th century Germany I guess) as a girl, and is recruited as a child solider. He/she then discovers the joys of combat, and proceeds to go bumfuck crazy.

Well the surge of these adaptations was inevitable. I'm actually surprised that we haven't had more already.

duckroll

I knew the Bebop connection, but not the Escaflowne and G-Gundam ones. Huh, even dumb Bones jokes can turn into learning experiences.

Anime production history can be really interesting, because it's a pretty small industry and whatever studio people love today probably had some interesting origins! Did you know that Ufotable, the darling of Tales and Type-Moon fans today, started out way back as a digital CG support studio before they did outsourcing work on actual animation? One of their first jobs was a contract with Sunrise to handle all the CG ships in Gundam SEED!

Oh good lord...

We seem to be subtly moving from the "trapped in an MMO" craze to the "reincarnated in a fantasy world" craze. At least your description of this series sounds more interesting than the typical LN premise.

jonjonaug

Well the surge of these adaptations was inevitable. I'm actually surprised that we haven't had more already.
This one's...a bit different in tone from the MMOish ones we've been getting. It's going to be very entertaining in a number of ways.

UfwJvrx.jpg

ibyea

Banned
Oh good lord...

This sounds like an over eager child's vision of what a good premise is like...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So Konosuba is the bridge betewen MMORPG and Reincarnator??

So Konosuba is the bridge betewen MMORPG and Reincarnator??

Not really, it a comedy that uses both as a source for jokes.

We seem to be subtly moving from the "trapped in an MMO" craze to the "reincarnated in a fantasy world" craze. At least your description of this series sounds more interesting than the typical LN premise.
A lot of these reincarnation stories started as web novels, many with sub-LN level writing. If this wave is coming it's not going to be a pleasant one.

Jarmel

Banned
On the front line of the war, there's a little girl. Blond hair, blue eyes and porcelain white skin, she commands the army with lisping voice. Her name is Tanya Degurechaff. But in reality, she is one of Japan's most elite salarymen, reborn as a little girl after angering a mysterious being X who calls himself "God." And this little girl, who prioritize over anything else efficiency and her own career, will become the most dangerous being amongst the sorcerers of the imperial army...

This actually sounds pretty fun.

The "guy seen as a loser goes to magical high school and beats the elite fighter princess in a duel" is the current LN craze. Trapped in an MMO stuff represents a fraction of that.

This one's...a bit different in tone from the MMOish ones we've been getting. It's going to be very entertaining in a number of ways.

Well that looks goddamn amazing. I don't even care if the writing is shit, I'd watch a whole series with that kind of art and frequent use of crazyface.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, i need to give this a shot to see how Craaaazy it's gonna be.

Konosuba 3
Stealing equipment is actually OP move. He's putting that luck stats to good use (lol)
An army of cabbage did make me chuckle.
A crusader named darkness who's actually a masochist...now that was interesting.

duckroll

I understand they are paying the bills by taking on a numerous amount of shows this year. :p

No I'm serious. I want a badass original BONES feature film again too. Like Sword of the Stranger! I reckon if we can pool together 5 million, we can approach Minami to get it made. I'm throwing in 200 bucks, so that leaves a mere $4,999,800. You seem like an upstanding guy, so I'm sure you can do it. I believe in you! Let's do this.

No I'm serious. I want a badass original BONES feature film again too. Like Sword of the Stranger! I reckon if we can pool together 5 million, we can approach Minami to get it made. I'm throwing in 200 bucks, so that leaves a mere $4,999,800. You seem like an upstanding guy, so I'm sure you can do it. I believe in you! Let's do this.
Under the Dog isn't enough?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Eh. When Kill Me Baby could be made with a budget of a packet of sherbet lemons and a shoelace and come out as one of life's masterpieces I'm sure everyone else can be confined to such tight budgets.

I'll donate one of the purple ones from a packet of Quality Street (that's like the best one so I'm being really generous here) towards the effort.

TheRancor

Clearly there's a more affordable way to share the load! Like kickstarter!

Under the Dog isn't enough?
Oh

Oh good lord...

I wonder how will the author reaction to this news, i remember he already said "why on earth someone think making this to LN and call it Youjo Senki is good idea" in volume 1 afterword lol.

Well, she's batshit crazy loli.

Staff of less than 10 people, one of which is on fire.

Looks like Toei.

There's no one just dead on the floor though.

Also, yessssssss, almost time for another episode of Time Cop Babies Edition.

ERASED is basically Time Cop only you can understand the main hero, and said hero hasn't done a perfect split by his sink yet.
I might be projecting on what I want ERASED to be.

Just a bit.

Oda the author of One Piece likes Your Lie in April.

Its confirmed he has shittaste. :)

Just kidding I somewhat enjoyed the series aside from the excessive melodrama.

Serious

"trapped in an MMO" craze

Yes, "craze". For shows within the last 5 years, we've had the first season of SAO, Log Horizon, and....Ixion Saga I guess? Overlord as well if you want to count it, but in my eyes it's closer to isekai/reincarnation genre, considering that while it is his game character and items and minions that get sent over, he is the only person trapped in this world that has absolutely nothing to with his game. And if we look at older shows, there's really only .hack.

Wow, such a craze.

Theonik

The Escaflowne movie has many problems, but it is still well worth watching. It also takes nothing away from the TV series because it isn't a sequel or prequel. The opening fight scene in the movie is worth the price of admission alone.
I remember you telling us not to watch it because of what they do to Folken's character!

duckroll

I remember you telling us not to watch it because of what they do to Folken's character!

No! I just had such a problem with his character in the movie that I asked through director about it in the Q and A after the AX premiere! He gave some half assed answer tho... :(

Yes, "craze". For shows within the last 5 years, we've had the first season of SAO, Log Horizon, and....Ixion Saga I guess? Overlord as well if you want to count it, but in my eyes it's closer to isekai/reincarnation genre, considering that while it is his game character and items and minions that get sent over, he is the only person trapped in this world that has absolutely nothing to with his game. And if we look at older shows, there's really only .hack.

Wow, such a craze.

Is there a fundemental difference between "trapped in an mmo" and "reincarnated as an fantasy world character"? They are the same thing in a slightly different skin. I'd even add GATE as a slightly different skin on the same basic concept.

pbayne

Wow, such a craze.

Man some series of .hack were so silly. They were literally sitting with a controller playing a game at times irl. It made the stakes in the show so stupid.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 446 – Collision

I wish they had more time, they could have easily made the SasuNaru fight last more than half an episode. Everything felt so condensed because of it.

Theonik

No! I just had such a problem with his character in the movie that I asked through director about it in the Q and A after the AX premiere! He gave some half assed answer tho... :(
It's too late to clarify, it was going to go on the top of the backlog at the time now it must climb to the top.

Wait, people don't think that transposed super business man into a Nazi Psycho loli body sounds amazing?

Miyazaki was right. Anime fans were a mistake. They're nothing but trash.

JulianImp

KonoSuba #3
Weird, but still entertaining. It figures that the MC would get "lucky" with his steals due to his crazy luck stat, and now the party has a weak guy with bad stats, a support mage who spends all her skill points on non-combat non-support abilities, a mage with a single 1 cast/day epic spell and a masochist tank with no accuracy (but she can even tank Megumin's explosion for some reason). The show not taking itself seriously feels refreshing compared to the bulk of shows with a similar premise that take themselves too seriously.

Blood Blockade Battlefront #3-4
Episode 3 was good with it being centered around a pseudo-chess game, even though the difference shown between the best human player and Klaus was a bit too much. Then episode 4 does have a shonen battle in it which was meh, but all the parts leading up to it were fun.

This sounds like an over eager child's vision of what a good premise is like...

So the best Japanese salaryman is reincarnated as a little girl in pseudo-Germany, becomes a child soldier and goes batshit insane? Um, okay...

That premise almost makes other crappy wish-fullfillment fantasies such as The Irregular at Magic whatever sound (morally) desireable in comparison despite them still being crap.

Phantom 04

She's a stronger person than me. I certainly would have taken the phantom's offer and stayed with them rather than face the harshness of the human world. Hell, even at the end she still longs to meet them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom