• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're still too early to call whether Erased will be one for the ages. It could still drop the ball by source material alone. And unlike with Bunny Drop, a mystery you can't just end before it gets solved so we don't see the (possibly) shitty material lol

The only recent anime that flopped in recent history was Terror in Resonance, and it felt "okay" to me personally at the beginning.

I take it back, biggest flop in anime was Linda from Golden Time. You had SO MUCH FUCKING POTENTIAL.

main-qimg-1c3a55d540357f454b710e73f45cbd07

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 1 (Rewatch)

So along with checking out Escaflowne and Big O, I feel like I should give a rewatch to the show that started my love for super robots. I remember back in the day when I watched this show on a mere whim. All I knew about this show was that it was critically acclaimed, according to the wikipedia entry (Not the best place to look regarding a show's quality I know). I remember not being all too impressed after finishing this first episode back then.

Now? I feel this is as perfect as a first episode could be in an anime.

The way exposition is handled is excellent. Everything we need to know about the setting is simple and short, and is also presented through engaging character interactions that develop the characters as well.

Simon likes digging treasure, Kamina wants to reach the surface and nobody believes him, the two are close brothers, yadda yadda.

What makes it more engaging is the fact that it doesn't stop there. By the halfway point of this episode, we're already at a climax with the world these characters have lived in all their lives being changed in an instant, and what really makes that sequence fun is how different Simon, Kamina, and Yoko's reactions are to it and how they play off each other.

Kamina's overly excited and reckless, Simon is scared out of his mind, Yoko's the only one who knows what she's doing and trying to get everything under control as these morons who just dug up a tiny robot try to take on the much bigger robot. To which they succeed and play one of the most triumphant-sounding OST tracks in all of anime to go along with a fantastically animated sequence.

This all culminates in one of TTGL's first of many perfect moments.

The expressions on their faces (sans Yoko) along with the music are what really drive this scene home. The looks on their faces is awe, wonder, and maybe a little bit of fear, as they look at the new world they've stumbled onto. Their knowledge of the surface is on par with the viewer's. Why does it look so barren? What's the story behind all this? With a cliffhanger ending, the urge to want to know can only get stronger.

It's just a perfect way to start a series. It's energetic, it's funny, it's endearing, it's just all around fantastic.

Squishy3

If you've never watched Gunbuster, you should probably watch Gunbuster. If you've already watched Gunbuster, watch it again.

And then cry about Gainax

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All busters are fantastic but some busters are more fantastic than others.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gunbuster is better simply for telling a legitimate sci-fi story with real, human characters.

I'm not sure what was going on in Diebuster. It's slightly more cohesive than FLCL but that's not saying much.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gunbuster is better simply for telling a legitimate sci-fi story with real, human characters.

I'm not sure what was going on in Diebuster. It's slightly more cohesive than FLCL but that's not saying much.

FLCL is a lot more cohesive then people give it credit for as it requires a few rewatches to get the details down.

What if he's the killer?

The only thing that could ruin this would be something really dumb. Like, a kind of dumb ending would still probably keep this as my favorite anime of the season - the style, animation, cinematography, and writing are all fantastic. For this show to be ruined is going to take something in the vein of "Little thief girl was the killer all along!!" or the slightly more likely but equally dumb "Satoru somehow killed his mother to send himself back in time" theory. I swear to all that is divine if it ends in some dumb Inception way, I'll actually just combust and die.

I'm hoping that since he changed the future - because he definitely did by prolonging her kidnapping by at least one day - that he gets sent back to the future and that's why he doesn't get to see her. Otherwise "the last promise between me and Hinazuki was never fulfilled" ends up being pretty definitive as far as the thought of her simply being sick or something goes.

duckroll

Erased - Episode 4

This episode was kinda frustrating. I really liked the non-mystery parts of the episode. Kids being kids, even though on them isn't -really- a kid. The science center, the little interactions, the birthday party. I thought they captured the feeling of little childhood moments and important milestones in developing a relationship really well. I still think Satoru is being a bit too bold in his interactions, but at least it's getting real results. One thing I've noticed in this episode in particular, and this goes with what dresden mentioned last week, is that by not showing the Kayo side of things throughout this episode, it heightens the tension of what might or might not happen in a very natural way. Like Satoru, the audience doesn't know what is actually happening in there (this time). It just makes the scene last week all the more puzzling. The show should really stick with Satoru's POV throughout the flashback period.

What I didn't like though, was a lot of the extra mystery hooks in the first half of the episode, and the stuff towards the end. I don't feel it was really needed to ham it up with the "omg will he change anything?!" direction. This is the fourth episode of the show, not the first, have some respect that the audience knows the stakes and if they're invested in the mystery the tension will be natural. Instead, using all the cheap edits, reaction faces from Satoru, and the dramatic music.... just isn't something I'm a fan of. It feels too much like "oh oh look at me, im a myssssterioussssss show and you should feel that omioussssssssss feeling now"... yeah whatever. Like the red eyes aren't bad enough!

Jex

[Erased] - 4

I wanted to enjoy this more than I actually did. The mystery beats were rote and the 'developments' felt far too predictable.

Let's not even bring up 'red eye'.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Erased 04
5wjeGy8.jpg

Scene flashes to needless info prompt and pulls away from the world.
My greatest annoyance is that this series often loses sight of the moment at hand. Obviously that's partly to be expected with the forward facing perspective of the character in relation to time, but this episode had fewer moments that were just able to sit and convey the actual mood of what is on screen. Pretty much every scene with Kayo winds up serving as a clue of some sort, and the show goes out of its way to frame this fact in a very blunt manner. The story winds up feeling too lean, and its still hiding its true nature and format. All of these clues and hints dumped into the viewer's hands just feel like junk when a path is not provided for what us or the main character is supposed to do with them. There is an absent context for how these events in 1988 are related to where this story began, so playing up the mystery angle just seems silly.

jgminto

Finally caught Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade. The lighthearted and charming setting, visuals and characters that worked so well for the original continue with this. The series is still the best thing with Trigger's name on it so far and I'd love to see them continue with it.

Finally caught Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade. The lighthearted and charming setting, visuals and characters that worked so well for the original continue with this. The series is still the best thing with Trigger's name on it so far and I'd love to see them continue with it.

Personally I liked it more than the original.

zulux21

Naruto: Shippuuden eps 60-225 or so.

you know... this show is still fun when it isn't trying to be all about emo boy.
some fun stuff in these eps. still undecided if I like or hate the rapping sand ninja >.>

Instro

Not gonna lie, I still haven't gotten around to this. Not sure why, I loved the first. I just keep forgetting about it, and when I do remember I put it off.

blurr

Watched Gunbuster some time ago, liked it, pretty evident how influential it was for other works as I watched it. Yet to watch Diebuster.

zulux21

Should be good. I was pretty hopeful after they revealed the staff, although I haven't paid attention to if there have been further developments. Watanabe is legit though.

i'm hoping it will be awesome,
expecting it will be just okay.

either way the opening better be a rework of one of the in game songs (or something that sounds similar)... if I get generic JPOP for the opening I will scream @_@

Jintor

i'm hoping it will be awesome,
expecting it will be just okay.

either way the opening better be a rework of one of the in game songs (or something that sounds similar)... if I get generic JPOP for the opening I will scream @_@

I don't think you have anything to worry about there... not many adaptions ditch their music for something completely different for TV. Even if it's new music they usually tap the same composers or related artists (Lotus Juice on P4theA for instance)

Texhnolyze - Complete

Well, I liked it but it felt the strongest roughly around and before the middle. At that point you knew just enough to get more and more invested into the quite intriguing characters and setting. Onward though, I became less and less interested in both. Eventually all that philosophical talk about the city, people, texhnoloyzation and so forth felt kinda redundant and some of the characters seemed to become more cliche, partially because this show wanted to have a bunch of cool action sequences.

Soundtrack and directing were good in general, though I'm getting a bit tired of certain techniques by this director. Going all grainy with the visuals and putting the characters on some brightly shining background got old quickly here, especially when I wasn't that fond of it in Shigurui either.

As of now, 7/10. I'm gonna read up and see if I maybe missed some interesting interpretations or aspects of Texhnolyze.

edit:
As far as those Texhnolyze viewing reaction charts go, I think they don't apply that much to my experience. Early on, maybe. But later I simply became less and less invested and thus nothing that happened got a strong reaction out of me.

Quasar

Erased 04

There is an absent context for how these events in 1988 are related to where this story began, so playing up the mystery angle just seems silly.

I figured that was made clear in episode one. I'm not sure there's a need to repeat that in subsequent episodes, even if its something he would dwell on.

Erased - Episode 4

This episode was kinda frustrating. I really liked the non-mystery parts of the episode. Kids being kids, even though on them isn't -really- a kid. The science center, the little interactions, the birthday party. I thought they captured the feeling of little childhood moments and important milestones in developing a relationship really well. I still think Satoru is being a bit too bold in his interactions, but at least it's getting real results. One thing I've noticed in this episode in particular, and this goes with what dresden mentioned last week, is that by not showing the Kayo side of things throughout this episode, it heightens the tension of what might or might not happen in a very natural way. Like Satoru, the audience doesn't know what is actually happening in there (this time). It just makes the scene last week all the more puzzling. The show should really stick with Satoru's POV throughout the flashback period.

What I didn't like though, was a lot of the extra mystery hooks in the first half of the episode, and the stuff towards the end. I don't feel it was really needed to ham it up with the "omg will he change anything?!" direction. This is the fourth episode of the show, not the first, have some respect that the audience knows the stakes and if they're invested in the mystery the tension will be natural. Instead, using all the cheap edits, reaction faces from Satoru, and the dramatic music.... just isn't something I'm a fan of. It feels too much like "oh oh look at me, im a myssssterioussssss show and you should feel that omioussssssssss feeling now"... yeah whatever. Like the red eyes aren't bad enough!

[Erased] - 4

I wanted to enjoy this more than I actually did. The mystery beats were rote and the 'developments' felt far too predictable.

Let's not even bring up 'red eye'.

I think this part is fine.
But yeah, the red eye is just too much and i don't really like it(though it's my only thing want to complain about this show so far, other than this it's awesome.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I figured that was made clear in episode one. I'm not sure there's a need to repeat that in subsequent episodes, even if its something he would dwell on.
It really didn't. There's no..."why now?" revelation. If anything the first episode makes things more confusing. He goes back in time to thwart fatal incidents, but the trigger of his mother sends him to a different case. There is no connective tissue there. If the main character is having the people around him targeted by some serial murderer that needs to be substantiated earlier on (and given context) so this can play the thriller game and not keep masquerading as a mystery.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The more serious an anime takes itself the more likely it will flop.

Of course if it goes too far it enters comedic territory, in a bad way.

That's probably why quite a few successful serious shows often have a slight comedic edge to them. Helps keep them in check.

Qurupeke

Golden Time 15
Beach episode, sort of...
Wtf, the episode's name was "Beach Accident" and I really thought someone would die there in a car accident. What an intense last minute. They should have not driven at all, after a full day at the beach, it was really a bad idea to drive. Not a fan of what's going on with the ghost curse too.

Jintor

I'm gonna have to rewatch Planetes if I want to see something with insanely accurate orbital mechanics yeah? Any other space recs out there for more realistic stuff?

Definitely, it's been excellent so far, I really hope it stays this well directed.

I think it's something even non anime fans would really find good as well.

I actually think the bolded is correct. I've gotten several of my friends that don't care about anime watching this just because I told them about the main premise. They are all loving it too.

On that note, this a good topic of discussion. Which shows do you think have a mass appeal good enough that even non-anime viewers can enjoy? A recent example of a show that blew up with the masses is Attack on Titan, which obviously isn't a masterpiece but thanks to its action and its general feel, most folks seem to dig it. Erased is a good case of a good show, that can legitimately capture your attention thanks to its drama and suspense. So there are different ways of captivating an audience.

Qurupeke

On that note, this a good topic of discussion. Which shows do you think have a mass appeal good enough that even non-anime viewers can enjoy? A recent example of a show that blew up with the masses is Attack on Titan, which obviously isn't a masterpiece but thanks to its action and its general feel, most folks seem to dig it. Erased is a good case of a good show, that can legitimately capture your attention thanks to its drama and suspense. So there are different ways of captivating an audience.

I want to say Monogatari but it isn't Monogatari, at least westward. :(

FMA: Brotherhood seems a given. Death Note maybe too. Generally, drama/action series with a good balance of them. Oh and the Ghibli movies, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom