• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divine Gate Episode 4

You know what I want? I want anime directors to stop setting up scenes where the villain escapes the heroes by turning around, and running out of frame.
I especially want anime directors to stop setting up scenes where the heroes don't even try to give chase after that, and they just say "Oh, he escaped.....fuck it. We tried."

Narag

Erased 4

Show wouldn't be nearly as watchable if Hinazuki wasn't so moe. I did half expect her to get offed anyhow even though he did everything right for max despair though.
eidit: guess i should watch that final minute before hitting submit lmao

Dagashi Kashi 04

LN1jBtw.jpg
QFLKGrs.jpg
EBM61Q0.jpg

Dagashi Kashi is an anime about candy

This episode was enough that I just had to check the manga to see if they did actually increase the lewd for the adaptation. The chapter is untranslated so they are skipping around A LOT (not like it really matters) but I found it and YUP they cranked that shit. The "tie my hands behind my back" thing is still there, but its one panel. The giant Sakurabo isn't even there. Now it's candy BDSM fetish. It's the same in the second skit too. Maybe thats what happens when you add voice acting, color and a run time but it's undeniable that they are leaning into the lewd hard to make up for the manga chapters being 8 pages. Not like the manga doesn't as well at times (the joke at the end was still there) but this is way more. I can't help but feel this would fit along better with Galko-chan being only 8 minutes. Fuckin pervs

All is forgiven because of ponytail Hotaru tho

One Punch Man OVA 02 - The Disciple Who Is a Poor Talker

Still not really feeling these OVA. They are alright, the gag was better in this episode though.

Too late. µ's already exists.

kewlmyc

GATE 16

Can't wait until next week. Still don't think this is the best way for Tuka to get over her dad dying. Also bunny waitress really freaking sucks at being an assassin.

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 15

Crimson Moon can't be a good show by this point. It really can't. Not with its vapid writing, boring directing, dull characters, lame action, and general all around shittyness.
I expect Crimson Moon to bore me. I didn't expect it to make my skin crawl.
download.png
download_1.png

Yep...wacky times ahead...

You see, this episode focused on Masamune. An aristocrat that "loves women too much." To the point where he frequently feels them up while they scream and beg him to stop, often to the point of running away from him.
I'm not adverse to sex humor, but Crimson Moon portrays this guy as just a wacky jokester even after he visits his 14 year old niece to feel her up. To the point where she flees the room to her mother screaming for help. It's all plays out in some wacky loony tunes manner.

In case you're wondering, the episode ends with him leering out his carriage at other women, happy his old bitch of a wife is dead, not punished in the least.

Christ.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.16
Quenthar you crazy SOB. It's fun watching all the crazy ways he get's out of this stuff each week. It's a win/win for his army at this point now that the
captured the enemy object, hopefully, they can get something out of the enemy AI
Fun stuff as always... Poor princess gets beat up emotionally by him each week.

Sekko Boys 4

Like there would be any doubt that the episode starring St. Giorgio would be the best episode.

My first

My last

My everything

And the answer to all my dreams

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 15

Crimson Moon can't be a good show by this point. It really can't. Not with its vapid writing, boring directing, dull characters, lame action, and general all around shittyness.
I expect Crimson Moon to bore me. I didn't expect it to make my skin crawl.

You see, this episode focused on Masamune. An aristocrat that "loves women too much." To the point where he frequently feels them up while they scream and beg him to stop, often to the point of running away from him.
I'm not adverse to sex humor, but Crimson Moon portrays this guy as just a wacky jokester even after he visits his 14 year old niece to feel her up. To the point where she flees the room to her mother screaming for help. It's all plays out in some wacky loony tunes manner.

In case you're wondering, the episode ends with him leering out his carriage at other women, happy his old bitch of a wife is dead, not punished in the least.

Christ.

Dang. In Hayashi's Garo he'd have turned into a Horror and be chopped liver by the end of the episode.

Heavy Object Episode 16

tnh1WLil.jpg

It's delicious irony that the key to defeating the Information Union was to use misinformation. Still, the Object vs Object battle was pretty cool and it's been a while since we had one, funny how it's also in Alaska.

Sheessh Qwenthur really put his body on the line for this, but a captured Object is sweeter than a destroyed one. Well, that's probably not the only thing he captured...

Ohoho was a fun one to have around, love to see her back soon.

P.S - They've changed her scene in the OP for greater accuracy =p

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dagashi Kashi 4
So, i guess they this time they tried to make a more focused episode than the previous one. The first skit is lewder and kinkier than previous one. Blindfold and hand tying included, though its gonna be more sexual than that, but i lost it when both sides taking this competition tad seriously and start tossing around candy like a madman.
The climax is of course when Coconuts decide to shove 90cm long dagashi down Hotaru throats. Shit is dangerous. Include the appearance of'Legend'. I need more of him appearing.

2nd skit features that running man mascot that usually appear in background or as reference jokes. Lot of trivia on this one about walking & running.

Anyway, i enjoy this episode, but if there's one thing i don't like is how inconsistent Hotaru breast size is. Kinda jarring when on different skit it looks like she got an increase in cup size.

Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

maxresdefault.jpg

Not exactly legendary in personality.

Right, so the Broly trilogy. This might end up generating some conversation given the notoriety of the films.

So here's the thing about Broly. At best, he had wasted potential as a character. At worst, he may be the flattest character in the entire series. Sure they try fleshing him out with backstory but it's half-assed and the reason they give for Broly's hatred of Goku is almost laughable in contrast to the tone of the film (You hate him because he cried as a baby, really?). All he does throughout the entire film is scream, yell out Kakarot's name and blow shit up. And people out there really like to hype him up (looking at you Dragon Ball Multiverse) but the fact is that he may be the worst part about his own film. On a side note, he's a perfect example of how there is such a thing as having too much muscle.

It's not just Broly's character I take issue with. The film suffers from pacing issues in the first half of the film. Pretty much half of the first half (particularly anything involving Chi-Chi) is utterly pointless and serves to pad out the run time. You could have cut a chunk of it and nothing would have been missed. In addition, Vegeta's being reduced to a wreck from the mere sight of Broly becoming the LSSJ and staying like that for the majority of the second half felt kinda out of character. Also Piccolo shows up out of fucking nowhere. Nothing new for these films granted but Goku and Gohan ask him about it and his response is basically "because of reasons."

Okay I think I'm done bitching about the film's problems. Let's talk about the good stuff.

The film has an original plot and it does the Garlic Jr. thing of having the villain motivations (one of them at least) tying into the franchise lore. The big fight with Broly is engaging if only because It's probably one of most brutal battles in the series. It also has some good animation, which helps the fight with Broly amongst other things.

But yeah It's a mixed bag overall albeit one leaning towards a negative reception given I have more harsh things to say about it.

Concrete Revolutio 5

There were four storyboarders on this episode? That would explain why it felt a bit visually disorganized. Tying student protests in with kaiju was an interesting concept though.

I like how Kikko shouts the same magic phrase no matter what kind of magic she's trying to do.

Taruranto

LOCAL WOMAN RUINS EVERYTHING #4

You can tell this was written by a fujoshi as the moment she appeared I was expecting ominous music to play in background.

In all, another excellent episode. There was a visible drop in the quality of the visuals, but I didn't expect DEEN to keep up for all the 13 (?) episodes. Apparently double episode next week, though.

I really hope DEEN efforts are rewarded, because this is without a doubt one of the best and most unique anime in recent years.

3Kaze

Kizumonogatari 1

I liked it. Animation and art were very good, I understand why they took so much time to make the movie. On the other hand, there was a huge contrast with the not so good looking full CG backgrounds. Content-wise it was monogatari alright I guess (only watched Bake and Nise), some good banter but much less verbose than the series overall. The worst thing is how they cut the movie at the end, no cliffhanger, nothing. It would have been better to get the full package.

CG backgrounds were pretty good, so I don't really get that statement.

The subway station and the industrial park were some crazy good looking locations.

Concrete Revolutio 6

So I guess what was depicted in this episode was the Beatles playing at Budokan? I like the idea of the Beatles being superhumans, literally opening up people's minds with their music.

Anyway, this was my favorite episode to date. Both concept and execution was strong. The group of second-rate musicians who became second-rate comedians and then second-rate superhumans that this episode focused on was really likable. It had a good balance of goofy comedy and serious consideration of talent, mediocrity, and what is worth devoting your life to. Even if the show goes off the rails later, this episode definitely made it worth making.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 6

So I guess what was depicted in this episode was the Beatles playing at Budokan? I like the idea of the Beatles being superhumans, literally opening up people's minds with their music.

Yeah, there's a bunch of real world stuff that correlates with the show. '72 Winter Olympics, the Beatles performing, the Gemini rocket accident in the US, and as I learned in the OT the other day, the train accident in episode 5 was based off a real event.

Yeah, there's a bunch of real world stuff that correlates with the show. '72 Winter Olympics, the Beatles performing, the Gemini rocket accident in the US, and as I learned in the OT the other day, the train accident in episode 5 was based off a real event.

Shou Aikawa seems to have a strong interest in Japanese history, and many of the shows he writes reflects this, but I think Concrete Revolutio has the most interesting and successful exploration of historical themes he's done.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Speaking of Love Live. Only a couple more weeks until NISA releases Love Live S1 and S2 on Blu, but no English cast list or a trailer? WTF is going on?

They realised the error of their ways and scrapped the plans for an English dub.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 4:

Shows like this are why I rather enjoy the medium of anime as an animation art form. It would be easy to do this kind of show as live action, and I know this is based off a manga but Rakugo really isn't the type of thing I would want to read about because the performances are such a large part of the gestalt of the art.

Rakugo 04

She's fooling him isn't she.

Also, yeah both Erased and this are two easy 10/10 shows. They are so far ahead of everything else in terms of quality. Maybe it's the fact that these are somewhat grounded stories with realistic characters that makes me like them so much.

Cornbread78

Gate ep.16
Lots of shit going down in this one. The fire dragon is scary shit, even bouncing Rory around. I'm interested to see how they destroy that fuckers next week as well as find out who ordered the hit gone wrong.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Shows like this are why I rather enjoy the medium of anime as an animation art form. It would be easy to do this kind of show as live action, and I know this is based off a manga but Rakugo really isn't the type of thing I would want to read about because the performances are such a large part of the gestalt of the art.
If the performance is important what does the animated format lend to the series? Facial animation has to be pretty limited.

Erased 1

Yooo...

Yooooooo

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn that was one hell of a first episode.

I probably would never give this show a chance if it wasn't animated. Like Chihayafuru, the subject matter didn't interest me enough to warrant a watch but the pretty art convinced me to give it a shot.

Dresden

erased episode four

i thought this was prob the best ep yet cuz there's a good stretch of the ep where things have this nice little cadence to it, spaced by the approaching deadline (x-day) with each period of 'play' interspersed with satoru delivering kayo home, and the concern underlying every instance of the door closing, generated by suspicion of abuse happening within, given substance by what we see earlier in the show and in the beginning of the episode when satoru's mother has to intervene. it's the helplessness inherent in such a move--where satoru can't simply shelter kayo, but must let her return to whatever misery awaits her--that felt particularly cutting here.

the show can def be rather crude--

and everyone has pounded the evil eyes to bits so i shan't mention it except for mentioning it here to mention that everyone must have mentioned it. but then you have the jun scene from ep3, or the little shift near the end when kayo is washing her face, but for a few seconds there's uncertainty as to whether she's washing or just trying to cold-press whatever bruises that might be on her face. It's capable of doing things other than making sasukes out of its villains, so when it does the cheesy anime thing it's all the more disappointing.

i had two concerns--one is that the end of the episode is like WHOAAAA and you get the shocked face and it could be shopped into a jojo reaction pic, the style was akin to that sorta thing. the second is that in the end, the dead girl, or presumably dead girl, and the dead girls to come, all lack a real voice in the story; normally this would be sidestepped by abusing the myopia of a fixed perspective, but Erased doesn't have that luxury. By indulging in POV hops early on, it has established that our view of what's happening can indeed expand to events outside of Satoru's own, and by providing only a view of the abuse and not the girl herself, it makes very clear that she's disposable, that her purpose is only to be destroyed. It cheapens the whole thing, I think.

John Blade

Not really animated but it's from the Japanese animated show but I just got myself the Robotech The Complete Set. I will say this to the people who design the fine DVD case, the case is shit on carrying 20 DVD disc. Sigh...well, I guess I might watch Macross but in American forum someday.

the second is that in the end, the dead girl, or presumably dead girl, and the dead girls to come, all lack a real voice in the story; normally this would be sidestepped by abusing the myopia of a fixed perspective, but Erased doesn't have that luxury. By indulging in POV hops early on, it has established that our view of what's happening can indeed expand to events outside of Satoru's own, and by providing only a view of the abuse and not the girl herself, it makes very clear that she's disposable, that her purpose is only to be destroyed. It cheapens the whole thing, I think.

I disagree with this, both in the sense that Kayo has been developed enough to not just be a symbol of abuse but a person in her own right, and that I don't think the series intends to treat her as someone whose only purpose is to be destroyed.

Dresden

I disagree with this, both in the sense that Kayo has been developed enough to not just be a symbol of abuse but a person in her own right, and that I don't think the series intends to treat her as someone whose only purpose is to be destroyed.

I dunno... feels like she's either being beaten or is beaten or is being ostracized in every scene she's featured in, and the rest of the time it's Satoru monologuing about how to save her as she stands around in the background. There's just nothing to her other than being a victim.

Sterok

Pandora 4

Monster Hunter VR would be terrifying. That aunt is apparently very rich. And probably evil. Incompetent bunny cannot catch a break. Unlucky reporter at least didn't nearly die this time.

Deadly

Gate ep.16
Lots of shit going down in this one. The fire dragon is scary shit, even bouncing Rory around. I'm interested to see how they destroy that fuckers next week as well as find out who ordered the hit gone wrong.
You need to rewatch the beginning of the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom