• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

erased episode four

the second is that in the end, the dead girl, or presumably dead girl, and the dead girls to come, all lack a real voice in the story; normally this would be sidestepped by abusing the myopia of a fixed perspective, but Erased doesn't have that luxury. By indulging in POV hops early on, it has established that our view of what's happening can indeed expand to events outside of Satoru's own, and by providing only a view of the abuse and not the girl herself, it makes very clear that she's disposable, that her purpose is only to be destroyed. It cheapens the whole thing, I think.

Id agree with this to an extent that Hinazuki's character is somewhat limited so far to "feel sorry for this character" and maybe trying to fit everything into 1 cour will have that kind of rushed result.

But at the same time its only been 4 episodes so any complaint could easily be fixed in a future episode. They still have plenty of time to flesh out characters more.

Jarmel

Banned
Towa no Quon-2
4UK5p7P.jpg

My mother's garden must be that dimension from Event Horizon then.
I don't know what emotion they were going for. Was I supposed to feel bad for the kid despite him mostly acting like a psychopath? This wasn't portrayed in any sort of interesting and nuanced manner. Not to mention the animation took a noticeable step down.

duckroll

Dang. In Hayashi's Garo he'd have turned into a Horror and be chopped liver by the end of the episode.

Alternatively one of his victims would havebeen turned into a horror from the abuse and eaten him, and they would have to put the horror down!

Shou Aikawa seems to have a strong interest in Japanese history, and many of the shows he writes reflects this, but I think Concrete Revolutio has the most interesting and successful exploration of historical themes he's done.

Better than Garo Crimson Moon, that's for sure!

I dunno... feels like she's either being beaten or is beaten or is being ostracized in every scene she's featured in, and the rest of the time it's Satoru monologuing about how to save her as she stands around in the background. There's just nothing to her other than being a victim.

I haven't seen episode 4 yet, but the scenes in episode 2 with Satoru asking her to become friends and the scene in episode 3 with Satoru taking her to see the "Christmas" tree did enough to establish her as a character who isn't solely defined by her abuse. (While acknowledging that someone in her situation - well - abuse makes up a large part of what she knows.) I agree that the scene in episode 3 with Kayo at home, where Satoru was not present, was unnecessary, but I don't feel like that scene invalidates the rest of the show.

Someone please tell me that the 2nd episode of Towa no Quon is a low point for the show.

The third episode is definitely worse.

Alternatively one of his victims would havebeen turned into a horror from the abuse and eaten him, and they would have to put the horror down!

Better than Garo Crimson Moon, that's for sure!

I'm assuming Aikawa is just shitting out scripts for Crimson Moon without really caring about them, since it seems so unambitious even when compared to his less successful works such as Un-Go and Eureka 7 AO.

ViciousDS

Banned
So um hunter x hunter episode 95

Gon at the end there with jajenkin was fucking completely lost......he was about to go full enraged gohan on the master. Its the first time I've seen him actually just say fuck all life and thought. Also can't wait to see the old man face the king.....I absolutely love the chairman's character. Killua being off the curse is awesome as well. This ending feels likes it's going to be goooooooooooddd

Just T

Erased: 4

A very heartwarming episode, Satoru tried his best this whole episode. Like the end of the previous episode it was nice seeing them have a good time together even if Kayo’s mother tried to ruin it, glad Satoru’s mother came through. Speaking of Kayo’s mother, they can chill with the red eyes. But yeah the rest of episode was good with the party and Kayo’s intention of giving Satoru a scarf. Of course that fuzzy feeling was shattered with those last couple of seconds. He looked horrified.

Ah, I wonder what’s going on inside his head though with the slip ups and the memories.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 4

Well after that meeting Buntarou probably created one annoying ass character.

Assassination Classroom S2: 4

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Itona is fitting in pretty well so far and the second half with the nicknames was pretty funny.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rakugo 4

Excellent as usual but what was the point of the setup if the show is going to be 70% Showa drama? They should've ditched the framing device and just set it in post-war Japan.

Rakugo 4

Excellent as usual but what was the point of the setup if the show is going to be 70% Showa drama? They should've ditched the framing device and just set it in post-war Japan.

The must be coming back to the series present. Unless they don't get to adapt it in the episodes given I imagine it is more than a framing device.

Cornbread78

Evangelion ep.10-11
Asuka is a real uppity douche huh? Well, she does get rid of the tsundere crap once in awhile like she did at the end of ep.11 to help get rid of that angel. I mean, she finally came up with a good plan to beat it with Rei and Shinji. Weird how it's almost the halfway point and they still haven't even started breaking down where the Angels cone from and what they are.

The must be coming back to the series present. Unless they don't get to adapt it in the episodes given I imagine it is more than a framing device.

The flashback arc lasts from mid-volume 2 to volume 5, according to a manga reader I've heard from, and the manga is currently up to 8 volumes, so yes, it's not just a framing device.

The flashback arc lasts from mid-volume 2 to volume 5, according to a manga reader I've heard from, and the manga is currently up to 8 volumes, so yes, it's not just a framing device.

Do you know at what rate they are going through the source material? As much as I like this flashback arc, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get to see much of the present again in the anime.

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store Episode 2

I wish sometimes that some of the jokes wouldnt last as long as do, a few end up leading to many moments of awkward silence. Though Nii-kun makes everything awkward, but still some go on for too long.

Laughed the most from Lottery-senpai and everyone thinking Matsukomo would be the type to panic and break down from a robbery whill Nii kun would try to fight them back.

Do you know at what rate they are going through the source material? As much as I like this flashback arc, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get to see much of the present again in the anime.

I haven't read the manga so I can't say, though according to the same source the anime is doing a fair bit of reordering/deleting/adding. I do feel fairly confident that the anime won't spend the rest of its time exclusively on the flashback.

duckroll

Rakugo BL - Episode 4

Young girls at the resturant and his master's mistress are all throwing themselves at him, but all he wants is to spend more time with his best buddy. Someone should tell him not to take "bros before hos" so literally!

Dagashi Kashi Episode 4

First off, lewd.
The first part of the episode was considerably more enjoyable than the second. The second part didn't really have much going for it, and ended on a pretty limp note.

Dresden

I haven't seen episode 4 yet, but the scenes in episode 2 with Satoru asking her to become friends and the scene in episode 3 with Satoru taking her to see the "Christmas" tree did enough to establish her as a character who isn't solely defined by her abuse. (While acknowledging that someone in her situation - well - abuse makes up a large part of what she knows.) I agree that the scene in episode 3 with Kayo at home, where Satoru was not present, was unnecessary, but I don't feel like that scene invalidates the rest of the show.

Hmm, I just don't think those scenes helped her as a character. Satoru's heroic obsession kinda makes it so that even when they're interacting, there's little to tell about her other than her vulnerability and position (as in, needing to be saved by him), and her reactions to his advances isn't enough to flesh her out. I think most people just go 'she's cute' and doesn't that just feed into her portrayal as a poor little girl?

I'm not saying it invalidates the rest of the show, but it does lessen it. Now she's gone and presumably discarded and there's not much to remember her by, other than that she was abused, and that her failure will prob drive Satoru to do whatever the fuck he does in the future.

Hmm, I just don't think those scenes helped her as a character. Satoru's heroic obsession kinda makes it so that even when they're interacting, there's little to tell about her other than her vulnerability and position (as in, needing to be saved by him), and her reactions to his advances isn't enough to flesh her out. I think most people just go 'she's cute' and doesn't that just feed into her portrayal as a poor little girl?

I'm not saying it invalidates the rest of the show, but it does lessen it. Now she's gone and presumably discarded and there's not much to remember her by, other than that she was abused, and that her failure will prob drive Satoru to do whatever the fuck he does in the future.

Since I ended up going and spoiling myself on the manga, I had better refrain from commenting further.

Branduil hates anime. He doesn't even watch it anymore!

Man, he must have liked Shirobako and Euphonium so much that he decided to stop watching anime all together to never get rid of the taste they left in his mouth.

What a shame, he'll never know the joy of Gundam Build Fighters now. ;_;

duckroll

I get what you're saying but I think this is a consequence of two things - the majority of the show being from Satoru's perspective, and his very narrow focus in terms of objectives. In the future, he remembers Kayo as the weird girl no on talked to who got killed. His conclusion is that if only he got to know her better, maybe he could prevent that from happening. But his aim seems very superficial. The way he approaches the problem is that he imposes himself into her life to act as a deterrent. He doesn't seem to know what she likes, or what she really wants, it is more important for him to just be there so she "has a friend" because he believes that loneliness is the main factor that resulted in her demise.

On the other hand, Satoru isn't really all that interested in his other friends, they're just there. So because he's not focused on them, the perspective is distanced from what they do day to day, and in any fictional narrative, absence can make a character feel more real because we can assume and fill in that when they're not around, they presumably have their own lives and do their own things instead of revolving around the protagonist. Since Satoru is essentially stalking Kayo, we get a sense of what appears to be her entire daily life cycle, which turns out to be really one-dimensional because of her anti-social nature and the abusive environment she's in.

I think this form of presentation is fine, except for the fact that the show can't stick entirely to that and still feels the need to have fill-in scenes which are out of perspective from Satoru. That's probably why so scenes feel so distracting.

I dunno. The first trailer for the show had like a gazillion scenes of Satoru and Kayo hanging out together in all sorts of places. I doubt that part of the story is anywhere near done.

Link Man

Banned
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 4

I think the honeymoon might be over for me. It looks as though my guess from last week was on the mark, as they do seem to be heading into
a love triangle tearing the friendship apart; just watching Shin's reaction to Bon revealing his invitation seems to confirm it.

Interest is quickly fading, hopefully the next episode surprises me.

Yo Yuki Kajiura did the soundtrack for ERASED too? This is like GOAT tier anime.

Just caught up on all 4 episodes. My mind and heart is a mess. Need time to write coherent impressions but this series is absolutely fantastic so far.

Concrete Revolutio 7

I teared up at the end there. Earth-chan is great, both as a character in her own right and as another lens with which to examine the morality of this world.

I like how the show is treating the "hippie" student protests. The only other anime I'm aware of that treats the student protests of the 1960s is Kids on the Slope, and it did so in a pretty lame way, so I'm glad to see it handled better here.

About the next episode preview, of course Ken Ootsuka would handle the episode focused on a classic-style mecha.

Just T

Towa no Quon 5

I managed to watch this after finishing Inside Out (which was great by the way), so I’ll use that as a template.

Joy:
Ah, how I’ve missed this Burning Rock Emotion! The soundtrack is still sounding good throughout the episode. Look at Yuuma coming through in the beginning that was nice. And there were some cool action scenes here and there with Cybernetic Pyro and Quon. Oh and Towa is still in one piece so maybe a happy reunion is in store for Quon.

Sadness:
The old lady didn’t deserve that, thought she was about to have some Attack of the Clones Yoda skills when she got up, but the barrier was good even though she got sucked up or whatever in the end.

Disgust:
Miu is still around. Quon’s bare ass in the dirt, that’s not hygienic.Took less than 5 minutes and a half-finished monologue for Takao to say fuck them he out, at least let the monologue finish.

Anger:
It’s cool they found a new place to go to right quick but still irritated how foolishly Quon let Fantasium Garden be destroyed in the first place. And did they even bother to check Cybernetic Pyro when he came to Sanada’s fortress to make sure he couldn’t be tracked? Also Kamashiro got powers too, it’s not really surprising just smh of course they over the top too.

Fear: The last episode could be really bad.

I said I dropped it but I actually watched the fourth Showa Rakugo episode and now I can let it go with no regrets, I still feel the same. I just can't find the appreciation for rakugo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Appreciate the poor, gay, theater performers living that hipster urbanite lifestyle.

That's how I choose to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom